Is there a VN that left a big impact on you (posiitive or negative) ?

MikeY91

I will say that VNs in general have left me more open minded about certain things - acknowledging cultural differences we have with Japan, understanding that while I might not enjoy a certain concept (see biggest turn-offs thread) others can and do.  There are certain story concepts found in VNs that I hardly ever see elsewhere as well, and as an occasional GM for pen and paper RPGs they give me sources to draw from the confound my players quite nicely.

Otherwise... I can't say that any specific visual novel in particular has changed my life.  There are certain stories that left me an emotional wreck (I still can't hear the song Aozora without tearing up a little), but I got over those soon enough.  If anything, the number one influence they've had is simply just providing me a way to relax and enjoy a night to myself.

I will say that VNs in general have left me more open minded about certain things - acknowledging cultural differences we have with Japan, understanding that while I might not enjoy a certain concept (see biggest turn-offs thread) others can and do.  There are certain story concepts found in VNs that I hardly ever see elsewhere as well, and as an occasional GM for pen and paper RPGs they give me sources to draw from the confound my players quite nicely.

Otherwise... I can't say that any specific visual novel in particular has changed my life.  There are certain stories that left me an emotional wreck (I still can't hear the song Aozora without tearing up a little), but I got over those soon enough.  If anything, the number one influence they've had is simply just providing me a way to relax and enjoy a night to myself.

Cool, similarily watching anime and reading vns made me quite interested in the Japanese culture, however i do understand that anime/vns do not really represent the Japanese culture, while they do use their culture as a reference i wouldn't say it's a good idea to learn about their culture based on anime/vns, but at least they give you an idea.

Honestly, i know this is kinda weird but ever since i started getting involved in anime and visual novels i had always been interested in meeting Japanese people :wafuu:, i haven't actually met anyone who is Japanes in real life but it is something i am interested in, i would love to talk about vns and anime with them but i feel like by doing that i will give them a stereotypical impression that all Japanese people are otaku lol but it is something i am interested in, my school is very diverse so we do have many Asian people from different countries including Japan, but i haven't really made the first step to talk to any of them yet. lol

but yeah, if you can't hear the song of Aozora (which i haven't read yet) then i can't listen to Narcissu's soundtrack for similar reasons :P

I suppose that many aspects of ¨The devil on the G-string¨ are fairly educational.

i agree with you on that.

Edited by MikeY91

Cool, similarily watching anime and reading vns made me quite interested in the Japanese culture, however i do understand that anime/vns do not really represent the Japanese culture, while they do use their culture as a reference i wouldn't say it's a good idea to learn about their culture based on anime/vns, but at least they give you an idea.

Honestly, i know this is kinda weird but ever since i started getting involved in anime and visual novels i had always been interested in meeting Japanese people :wafuu:, i haven't actually met anyone who is Japanes in real life but it is something i am interested in, i would love to talk about vns and anime with them but i feel like by doing that i will give them a stereotypical impression that all Japanese people are otaku lol but it is something i am interested in, my school is very diverse so we do have many Asian people from different countries including Japan, but i haven't really made the first step to talk to any of them yet. lol

but yeah, if you can't hear the song of Aozora (which i haven't read yet) then i can't listen to Narcissu's soundtrack for similar reasons :P

I was in Canada last week and I was in like a Japanese neighborhood. Not all Japanese are fond of anime, manga or any of that otaku stuff. Most of them know it but they don't show any kind of national pride with it. It's almost like how we Americans don't brag about our cheeseburgers and how they make people fat. 

I was in Canada last week and I was in like a Japanese neighborhood. Not all Japanese are fond of anime, manga or any of that otaku stuff. Most of them know it but they don't show any kind of national pride with it. It's almost like how we Americans don't brag about our cheeseburgers and how they make people fat. 

yep, that's why i said that way of thinking is a bit stereotypical :wafuu:

Ah, sorry I did not make myself more clear - I'm well aware of how the Japanese feel about anime and visual novels.  That does not change the fact, however, that there are concepts inherent to Japan that straight up do not exist in the US, where I am.

For example:

Japanese honorifics and keigo in general - I'd run into it in anime, but I didn't really get a solid feel for it until I had read a lot of VNs in Japanese.  It took me awhile to wrap my mind that when trying to be formal/humble the language changes so much.

The Tanabata festival - I knew nothing of this, but after seeing it come up again and again I now immediately know what is going on when someone references it.

White Day - same as Tanabata, though I think I came across this in anime first.

Japanese bathing practices - shower/clean/scrub, THEN get in the bathtub

Proper Japanese greetings

... Are we seeing what I mean here? I'm not talking about the culture of visual novels and anime in Japan, I am talking about aspects of Japanese culture that are found in Japanese VNs.  While yes, there may be some erroneous tropes that exist in VNs that don't exist in real life in Japan, that doesn't change the fact that you can still learn quite a bit about life over there from VNs.

I will say that VNs in general have left me more open minded about certain things - acknowledging cultural differences we have with Japan, understanding that while I might not enjoy a certain concept (see biggest turn-offs thread) others can and do.

it's like i just read my own mind

also, a few days after finishing shiori's route in kanon, i had a moment where i realised that i really wanted to take a more active role in other people's lives. which, being autistic, i have never really conciously done

• 3 weeks later...

Boku no Kanojo wa Gatenkei. I love NTRs way before this but after some kind-hearted fuwa member recommended this to me, my hunt for great NTRs is now even more passionate than ever.

This game shoos all these full blown vanilla garbage out of the window. The first few hours is basically focusing on the heroine and the protagonist's lovey-dovey relationship so you can feel for the protagonist when he does experience NTR later on. The descriptions and presentations are fully detailed and there's no way you would think this is going to be a NTR vn at first. It follows quite a lengthy timeline too to show that a relationship requires some evolution over the years and not this unrealistic garbage of protagonists snatching girls in less than a week/month.

I say it's a good presentation of a NTR vn. You're suppose to feel like everything is amazing and nothing could possibly go wrong then wham! You are caught in a crossfire of heartfelt emotions. It's not a nukige as its main selling point is not about sex every 10 minutes or so but all the NTRs and rollercoaster emotional rides that you are about to get on.

The storywriter of Boku no Kanojo wa Gatenkei makes Clannad, Kanon, and all these nakiges look like amateur works. He makes it as if he's been in that situation before as some of them are quite shockingly realistic. I wish there was an English patch for this game so more people can play Elf's works and also be introduced the NTR genre more as it's not translated too often.... I won't be surprised some people might like it because it presents NTR in such an enlightening way. There is however a Chinese patch if you know some Chinese and I say you should read it even if you hate NTRs. It might just transform you. :wahaha:

P.S. Also Rest in Peace Elf. We will miss your awesome works like Boku no Kanojo wa Gatenkei!

Don't like ntr in normal stories, but i just had to check it out just for the heck of it :P As i expected, it's completely ridiculous. Protag ofc has a small useless penis.. Did he even properly screw her before the ntr started? and the wife is a complete whore who jumps at every dick offered to her. Where is the divorce or beat up wife option in these shitty ntr's? This scenario is just so hilariously bad that i just can't take it serious. She either shaved or had her hair shaven and apologized heartfeltly just to screw some ugly thick lipped old man, and something that looked like a gangbang which i didn't understand one bit of. I don't know Japanese other than some bits of what's spoken so i just ctrl'd it with a walkthrough since vn reader didn't work. I'm sure there is some emotion to be felt if you know the language and play it like you did, but it still doesn't change that the scenario is completely outlandish. A smooth talking somewhat attractive guy seducing your wife instead of love from rape would be a better way to go about it, don't you agree?

I do think a story such as this should either have a avoidable ntr path or a chance to nip it in the bud early on at the "rape" stage (I say "rape" since we all know she says "no" but means "yes")

Edited by Stormwolf

Obviously you aren't gonna get and appreciate the story if you don't understand Japanese, ctrl+ed through it and breezed through scenes and CGs. That's why I highly recommended anyone who is interested in the NTR genre to learn a good amount of Japanese first before diving into it.

Also, why play a NTR genre if the NTR route is avoidable? /mtfkingfacepalm You play it so you can embrace the NTR, get some strong feels and get turned on by infidelity.

A NTR vn with avoidable NTR scenes is like playing vanilla vn and avoiding all contact/conversation/scenes with the potential heroines... lol

Edited by CeruleanGamer

Well, let's agree to disagree with the avoidable ntr thing. I do think that the real challenge should be about finding a way to prevent your wife from becoming a slut, not what could just as well be a kinetic story because all ends are bad. I still do think this would be better if things were handled more realistically. I seriously doubt this vn was hard to follow even without knowing what they say. Wife of small penis guy felt a big cock when raped and became a complete whore screwing and sucking everything while kind of friendzoning her utterly pathetic husband (At least in the optional ends he had some balls). Utterly ridiculous. I'd buy it if there was emotional attachment from seduction over time etc, but not this.. 

Youre playing NTR for the wrong reasons then if you easily get ticked off by women sleeping with other men. You dont play NTR hoping that the protagonist will somehow win the heroine back. You play it because you are interested by the drama that ensues because of it or just the whole fetish of the heroine being coveted by someone else. Save that "heroic rescue bs" for your vanilla nonsense. 

Edited by CeruleanGamer

Youre playing NTR for the wrong reasons then if you easily get ticked off by women sleeping with other men. You dont play NTR hoping that the protagonist will somehow win the heroine back. You play it because you are interested by the drama that ensues because of it or just the whole fetish of the heroine being coveted by someone else. Save that "heroic rescue bs" for your vanilla nonsense. 

because SURPRISE! People do shit like that. I might check stuff like this out, you get tired of the whole "white knight" stuff in VNs from time to time :sachi: 

I'm not entirely sure you completely understood what i said. Well, i guess i could have explained it a bit differently as well. I do understand how her cheating for the first time in the game would be destructive given the nature of the game prior to that. What i found completely ridiculous was the ntr scenario in itself. Ugly fat guy, delinquent and ugly old man. I don't know how you misunderstood that as i explained that pretty thoroughly in the previous posts. The somewhat avoidable would be a personal preference when it has many endings anyway. I mean no offense by this, but don't think everyone wants a completely unavoidable ntr game with only bad endings just because you do. And honestly, who wants to win back a whore at the very end of the game anyway? Drama is predictible nonsense with a wife who values the size of the cock (or rather any cock other than the husband) above anything else in life while the protagonist is begging for wife to stop and more or less does nothing about it. Divorce should have been the end option when the wife is discovered as a slut, and a lost cause. That would be a relatively bad ending as well of course, but a proper and realistic one given the circumstances.

So at the end of the day i guess a more believable ntr scenario and not the outrageously unrealistic one presented here and a more realistic protagonist would have made this much better. You said it yourself, it's not a nukige so the story should be a proper one.

Edited by Stormwolf

To me , Narcissu left such a big impact that it change me so many ways . I think it was the first time i've ever felt that touched though i didn't cry much . But it's been a year since i finished reading it but i still feel depressed every time i think about it . Now i really want to experience it again but can't find any VN that like Narcissu . ( My English is kinda broken so feel free to tell me where i wrote wrong :v ) 

Edited by MarcoCorvus21

To me , Narcissu left such a big impact that it change me so many ways . I think it was the first time i've ever felt that touched though i didn't cry much . But it's been a year since i finished reading it but i still feel depressed every time i think about it . Now i really want to experience it again but can't find any VN that like Narcissu . ( My English is kinda broken so feel free to tell me where i wrote wrong :v ) 

yeah i think i will also have a hard time getting over Narcissu haha, it was also the first time that i had felt this sad over a vn/anime. i hope that one day i get to the point where i can read it again too, maybe in 2 or 3 years lol and don't worry your English is fine ^_^

Edited by MikeY91

yeah i think i will also have a hard time getting over Narcissu haha, it was also the first time that i had felt this sad over a vn/anime. i hope that one day i get to the point where i can read it again too, maybe in 2 or 3 years lol and don't worry your English is fine ^_^

I actually rewrote it twice :v 

I may be cheating a bit by saying this, since it isn't entirely a "VN" per-se, but Kyokugen Dasshutsu 9-Jikan 9-Nin 9 no Tobira. (999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors)

That's a lot of nines.

A lot of VNs hugely impacted me but this one's a bit different. For one, stating the obvious, it's a narrative masterpiece and the ending was absolutely genius. What really breaks my heart though, is how little fame it had, especially compared to Danganronpa which I fullheartedly believe is inferior in almost every way. It didn't make that much though thankfully just enough to justify for another two sequels. The biggest impact was the thought it imposed on me; "This deserves a much better praise."

But seriously though. What the hell. Why aren't any of my friends reading this.

I may be cheating a bit by saying this, since it isn't entirely a "VN" per-se, but Kyokugen Dasshutsu 9-Jikan 9-Nin 9 no Tobira. (999: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors)

That's a lot of nines.

A lot of VNs hugely impacted me but this one's a bit different. For one, stating the obvious, it's a narrative masterpiece and the ending was absolutely genius. What really breaks my heart though, is how little fame it had, especially compared to Danganronpa which I fullheartedly believe is inferior in almost every way. It didn't make that much though thankfully just enough to justify for another two sequels. The biggest impact was the thought it imposed on me; "This deserves a much better praise."

But seriously though. What the hell. Why aren't any of my friends reading this

I haven't read it yet but I do hear a lot about it, it is definitely on my future reading list.

I mean my comment :v :v , and yeah , i still can't reread it , too :v 

oh, my bad haha 

But seriously though. What the hell. Why aren't any of my friends reading this.

Maybe because it is for DS only? And in emulator it looks like... Well, as it should, it seems.

And in iPhone version they removed all the puzzles (and actually I never was able to make it working on my 5.1.1 Ipad even that Aksys told it should).

I haven't read it yet but I do hear a lot about it, it is definitely on my future reading list.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts about it. :sachi:

Maybe because it is for DS only? And in emulator it looks like... Well, as it should, it seems.

And in iPhone version they removed all the puzzles (and actually I never was able to make it working on my 5.1.1 Ipad even that Aksys told it should).

I played 999 via DeSmuME myself, an NDS emulator, and I believe most of my gamer friends have one as well.

Also, they removed all the puzzles? That's horrible. I genuinely don't know what 999 would feel like without its core gameplay though. To be fair, it might not be that different, but still...

A visual novel that left a big impact on me recently was Saya no Uta.

I started playing the game thinking that it was just gonna be a grotesque and horrifying experience but it was actually a very intriguing and moving experience. I felt that this visual novel really brings out the notions of the "fascination of the abomination," in that we are sometimes subconsciously attracted to the sight of something horrible and disgusting. I know that was probably the reason that I decided to play this because I was curious and attracted to what people described as the most messed up visual novel ever. But what really got me was that under the grotesque background and inhuman changes of the protagonist, I still felt like there was something undeniably beautiful about this work.

Overall, it was a messed up experience but it really got me thinking about the "don't judge a book by its cover" phrase to a whole new meaning.