Recommend Me Something - Romance

Please note that this request applies to either manga or anime... or VN's, I really don't care which.

This request is incredibly simple and incredibly complicated. I want a manga/anime/VN (henceforth referred to as 'manga' alone) where there's a couple, there's romance and it's sweet.

Sweet isn't terribly specific, so have this list to aid you:

["They" you'll find below refers to the main couple (because it's not a romance without one).]

These are absolute must:

• They must become a couple (officially with a confession or unofficially if they just instinctively act like one) within the early first half. They can also start outright as a couple.
  • There mustn't be a harem. I can be flexible, however. I will accept a harem so long as it's not a harem where the protagonist remains undecided for most of the manga. I will also accept dating multiple people simultaneously or whatever.
  • It mustn't be Yaoi. I'll accept most other things.

These a very big pluses (but not necessary):

• They are living together.
  • They have/are raising children.
  • They are married/betrothed.
  • I regret to inform you that I like smut quite a lot.

Other important variables:

• I like comedies and light-hearted things.
  • I don't like drama much. If it's focused on drama I might not like it as much, but it's still acceptable.
  • I don't like love triangles too much. I don't mind them at all when the couple is already officially going out by the time the rival shows up.
  • Even if nothing ever happens, it's fine. The act of "the daily life of the average couple" has enough action to keep me interested.
  • I don't mind at all even if it's focused on sex (most that will fit my categories are, because when there's not plot, there's sex to make up for it). However, I have never read a hentai manga, so have in mind how full blown it is.
  • I doesn't have to be a romance. That just blew your mind, no? The couple just has to be there. Obviously there should be some romantic moments, but if it's got a plot and it focuses on other things, just having the couple is good.

Although I said all this, I'll accept anything so long as it does not violate any of the 3 MUST'S. Feel free to suggest your favourite romances.

More stuff will be added if I remember. I can provide good examples for those who want them. This might seem like a stupidly inclusive topic, but I've watched and read so much, I figure the community at large might know of stuff I don't.

Just leaving a mention that you can suggest stuff on my "plan to watch" lists. Being there doesn't mean I'll watch it anytime soon. When I have a list of over 220 manga to read it should be obvious that there's stuff that's better and stuff that's worse.

Edited by Tiagofvarela

It's actually almost surprising how little pure romance I've read to date.
All of the below are manga.

青春離婚 Seishun Rikon
赤髪の白雪姫 Akagami no Shirayukihime
ホリミヤ Horimiya
ラストゲーム Last Game
Love so Life
いぶし暮らし Ibushi Gurashi
ふたりの恋愛書架 Futari no Renai Shoka
プラナス・ガール Prunus Girl

18+
ナイーブ Naive
うそつきパラドクス Usotsuki Paradox

Surprised to see a Honeymoon Salad and Hajimari no Niina already under your belt.

Edited by storyteller

Taking a look at your list, I daresay you've pretty much seen almost every noteworthy pure romance anime out there, so don't expect super amazing recommendations.
The fact that you ask for early romance is really what makes the list short because so many anime tend to leave that for the end.

• Koi Kaze

I don't know why you haven't watched this. Go watch this now. Or read the manga, I don't care. JUST DO IT.

• Acchi Kocchi

It's not technically a conventional romance, but the main "couple" always have that vibe going for them and their friends make fun of them for it as well. It's pretty light hearted.

• Air

You like Key, I figured you'd have seen it by now. Very feely though.

• Kanokon

Lots of fanservice, not really anything great, but the main characters are, for all intents and purposes, in a relationship. 

• Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

Not so much a focus on romance but the main couple dynamic is pretty fun. It's a slightly less conventional romance.

• Ano Nattsu de Matteru

I saw it's on your PTW, and while it doesn't fit the early romance field as much, I do definitely think this is an anime you'd like based on what I know of your tastes, so I strongly suggest it.

• Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi

I see you're watching Mashiroiro Symphony. If you liked that, this is pretty much the same thing.

Just leaving a mention that you can suggest stuff on my "plan to watch" lists. Being there doesn't mean I'll watch it anytime soon. When I have a list of over 220 manga to read it should be obvious that there's stuff that's better and stuff that's worse.

Also going to mention Hiyokoi because I'm a big fan of it myself~~~ It's cute

Indeed it is. For a while there I was under the impression it approached perfection of what I want in a romance manga.

The one you mentioned is also on my list. Constantly being put off because I can already guess, having read something other by the same author, that it will be full of drama.

Taking a look at your list, I daresay you've pretty much seen almost every noteworthy pure romance anime out there, so don't expect super amazing recommendations.
The fact that you ask for early romance is really what makes the list short because so many anime tend to leave that for the end.

• Koi Kaze

I don't know why you haven't watched this. Go watch this now. Or read the manga, I don't care. JUST DO IT.

• Acchi Kocchi

It's not technically a conventional romance, but the main "couple" always have that vibe going for them and their friends make fun of them for it as well. It's pretty light hearted.

• Air

You like Key, I figured you'd have seen it by now. Very feely though.

• Kanokon

Lots of fanservice, not really anything great, but the main characters are, for all intents and purposes, in a relationship. 

• Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

Not so much a focus on romance but the main couple dynamic is pretty fun. It's a slightly less conventional romance.

• Ano Nattsu de Matteru

I saw it's on your PTW, and while it doesn't fit the early romance field as much, I do definitely think this is an anime you'd like based on what I know of your tastes, so I strongly suggest it.

• Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi

I see you're watching Mashiroiro Symphony. If you liked that, this is pretty much the same thing.

I've always been delaying Koi Kaze because incest with added age gap fazes even me ever so slightly. I'll get to it eventually. When I'll have read some inevitably more disturbing things.

I remember I rejected Acchi Kocchi nearly a year ago (probably longer) because I was told it was a Lucky Star rip-off, leading me to go all "snobby Lucky Star true fan" on it and leaving it in the dust. Nowadays I couldn't care less about such petty things.

I'll get to Air when I finish the VN, which in turn may or may not take a while due to tissue box shortages.

I added and removed Kanokon from my list yesterday because I thought it was some sort of harem. Then that means there's actually a "main" couple of sorts?

x Amnesia - Unthinkable, even stuff like this has been on my manga list for months. It reminds me of some premises I've watched before. While I'll keep it in mind, if this venture of mine is successful I'll probably focus on other stuff. Thankfully this thread will remain, so I'll check it when I want a change of pace.

Ano Nattsu, I thought so too. I remember there was one thing alone that made me refrain from watching it. Probably a spoiler. Good thing I forgot.

And yeah... I may be "watching" the other one you mentioned but my anime pace is currently very slow and this sort of VN adaptation is also the sort I watch slowly.

It's actually almost surprising how little pure romance I've read to date.

青春離婚 Seishun Rikon
赤髪の白雪姫 Akagami no Shirayukihime
ホリミヤ Horimiya
ラストゲーム Last Game
Love so Life
いぶし暮らし Ibushi Gurashi
ふたりの恋愛書架 Futari no Renai Shoka

18+
ナイーブ Naive
うそつきパラドクス Usotsuki Paradox

Surprised to see a Honeymoon Salad and Hajimari no Niina already under your belt.

Never seen that first one before. Seems interesting.

On my list. Will read when the manga finishes publishing.

I'll also read this one whenever it concludes.

I've been eyeing this one for years. It never seems to finish publishing...

Reading it right now. <3 <3 <3

...I can't find Ibushi Gurashi...

On my list. Thank you for reminding me of this interesting premise!

Added. I guess I should start looking up the authors of stuff I enjoyed.

I've been saying that will be my next ecchi read for months now. They day will arrive at some point, I'm sure.

I have looked up a lot of stuff. I'm convinced there aren't many things I, at the very least, haven't stumbled upon in the past. That's why I made a habit of adding everything to my lists. I enjoyed Honeymoon Salad up till the ending and I kind of liked Hajimari no Niina though I got slightly bored through the middle.

clannad, shakugan no shana, gosick.

I've watched the other two, I suppose a more plot filled one could work.

いぶり暮らし oops misspelled. Iburi Gurashi http://www.zenyon.jp/lib/top.php?id=6
ホリミヤ technically, the original series, Hori-san to Miyamura-kun, is long since finished. Horimiya is a remake.
プラナス・ガール Prunus Girl
おじょじょじょ Ojojojo
グッドモーニングコール、グッドモーニングキス Good Morning Call and its sequel Good Morning Kiss
乙嫁語り Otoyome Gatari

Not sure if romance:

親父の愛人と暮らす俺 Oyaji no Aijin to Kurasu Ore (I'm living with my dad's lover)

Not quite fitting your points:

ビターバージン Bitter Virgin
にがくてあまい Nigakute Amai (Bitter and sweet) - Some gay expression warning
浅尾さんと倉田くん Asao-san to Kurata-Kun
いつか、夜明けの空で待ってる。Itsuka, Yoake no Sora de Matteru (Someday, I'll wait for you in the Twilight Sky)
あめのちはれ Sunny after the Rain
世界の果てで愛ましょう Sekai no Hate de Ai Mashou (Let us Love at the Edge of the World)

Haven't actually read it yet but seems popular

イェスタデイを歌って Yesterday wo Utatte (Singing of Yesterday)

Edited by storyteller

いぶし暮らし http://www.zenyon.jp/lib/top.php?id=6
ホリミヤ technically, the original series, Hori-san to Miyamura-kun, is long since finished. Horimiya is a remake.
プラナス・ガール Prunus Girl
おじょじょじょ Ojojojo

Not sure if romance:

親父の愛人と暮らす俺 Oyaji no Aijin to Kurasu Ore (I'm living with my dad's lover)

You wrote the name wrong. It's Iburi =/= Ibushi, no wonder I couldn't find it. Either way, I couldn't ever possibly get it in a language I'd understand. I didn't actually mention it would have to be available, somewhere, in English.

Well, unless I'm incredibly desperate, I'll hold off on Horimiya for the remake.

Prunus - I saw this one before. I ended up rejecting it because I felt it would have lots of nonsense outside of romance, since they have that sort of premise to play with. I was also turned away by a couple of reviews I read, I think.

Ojojo - I'll have to look into this one.

Oyaji - It certainly looks like one. Either way, I couldn't read it at this point.

"I regret to inform you that I like smut quite a lot."

This just made my day. :wahaha:

I don't actually have any recommendations because I don't watch romance that often, I just wanted to say the above.

And you think you've got the right to laugh at me while having taste so rubbish you hardly ever watch romances?

Edited by Tiagofvarela

"I regret to inform you that I like smut quite a lot."

This just made my day. :wahaha:

I don't actually have any recommendations because I don't watch romance that often, I just wanted to say the above.

And you think you've got the right to laugh at me while having taste so rubbish you hardly ever watch romances?

Hey! I just haven't gotten around to them yet! I've been watching action and mind game stuff lately, therefore I will be switching to Slice of Life and Romance anime soon.

I added and removed Kanokon from my list yesterday because I thought it was some sort of harem. Then that means there's actually a "main" couple of sorts?

There is a main couple, but there is sort of a 3rd wheel that also wants to get it on with the protagonist and she often fights with the main girl and/or trying to ride the protagonist's penis.
However, the main girl always remains main and she even kisses the protagonist in the first episode so their relationship is more intimate.

I will mention that it's pretty much just smut so, again, don't expect anything brilliant.

As for Acchi Kocchi, it's not even related to Lucky Star lol.
There is no romance in it per se, but the main pair really do get along nicely and it's a super heart warming series.

I was looking through my animelist, and I hardly have any full romance-focused animes on it xD.  There's one called Boys Be... you might want to give a try, since no one's mentioned it yet.  Apparently, for some reason I gave it an 8 rating.. I watched it a long time ago, so I don't remember exactly why I gave it a high score.   I remember it being about a group of close-knit/childhood friends and how their feelings towards each other have grown through the time they've known each other and spent together.  It's more slice of life pacing with romance.  I think it switches from different character perspectives, so there are multiple romances happening and you can learn about some of the characters more.

5953dc565d1915469ffa837a17d64932.jpg

There's a manga called I"s .. about a guy pretty much obsessing & stalking a girl he really likes, and he occasionally has smutty imaginations about her.  It's not really a hentai though, just a lot of teasing fan service.  I just remember them being really cute together sometimes.  I think he stalked her more out of shyness, and was a nice guy who was quite passive around her.  This can be good if you want some romance with light smut/fan service that isn't full blown hentai :p.

i_s_v14c07p118_119.jpg?v=11193481171

I was going to recommend Kareshi no Kanojo Jijou manga since it's like my favorite romance story, but I saw you already completed it^^

If you want manga, recently I read a really fun romance centric manga titled Koharu no Hibi.

It's about this really, and I mean really obsessive girlfriend and how the guy handles her and how they face their relationship together.
She might come off as creepy sometimes but I thought she was utterly adorable in her crazy obsession for her senpai.

Although it can get dark, the manga is overall light hearted and the romance is pretty cute in its own unique way.

There is a main couple, but there is sort of a 3rd wheel that also wants to get it on with the protagonist and she often fights with the main girl and/or trying to ride the protagonist's penis.
However, the main girl always remains main and she even kisses the protagonist in the first episode so their relationship is more intimate.

I will mention that it's pretty much just smut so, again, don't expect anything brilliant.

That's brilliant already, thank you kindly.

I was looking through my animelist, and I hardly have any full romance-focused animes on it xD.  There's one called Boys Be... you might want to give a try, since no one's mentioned it yet.  Apparently, for some reason I gave it an 8 rating.. I watched it a long time ago, so I don't remember exactly why I gave it a high score.   I remember it being about a group of close-knit/childhood friends and how their feelings towards each other have grown through the time they've known each other and spent together.  It's more slice of life pacing with romance.  I think it switches from different character perspectives, so there are multiple romances happening and you can learn about some of the characters more.

Hidden Content

There's a manga called I"s .. about a guy pretty much obsessing & stalking a girl he really likes, and he occasionally has smutty imaginations about her.  It's not really a hentai though, just a lot of teasing fan service.  I just remember them being really cute together sometimes.  I think he stalked her more out of shyness, and was a nice guy who was quite passive around her.  This can be good if you want some romance with light smut/fan service that isn't full blown hentai :p.

Hidden Content

I was going to recommend Kareshi no Kanojo Jijou manga since it's like my favorite romance story, but I saw you already completed it^^

Boys be... I was thinking about how I thought I somewhat recognised the name... But I certainly didn't recognise the anime.
Turns out I stumbled upon the manga once before, but rejected it because it had a lower than 7 average score on MAL. Given the circumstances I might give it a read now.

As for the second, it is actually on my list. I thought that short and somewhat ridiculous name sounded familiar. I will have to confirm, however, does the actual "couple" come together within the first half? 143 chapter according to MAL is an immediate alert to snail-like dragging of feet pace, and I've had quite enough of those thank you.

If you want manga, recently I read a really fun, non conventional, romance centric manga titled Koharu no Hibi.

It's about this really, and I mean really obsessive girlfriend and how the guy handles her.

Although it can get dark, the manga is overall light hearted and the romance is pretty cute in its own unique way.

I figured that one would be right up your alley. It was added, and removed, and re-added to my list yesterday.
When the score and synopsis don't make up my mind, I usually read two MAL reviews, a positive and negative one, and then make the decision. In this particular occasion, the negative was the most popular one and I ended up removing it because of that. Yesterday I fixed my mistake and today see you find it interesting. I'll give it a read.

As for your hypothetical, of course I also want manga. It's much easier to find stuff to one's own taste through it.

Edited by Tiagofvarela

Well there is My Lovely Ghost Kana. It fits alo- "On hold". Well okay, at least you know about it. While we're still at it I could mention Ai-Ren, it's definitively a bit weir- "Dropped". God dammit! Sadly I can't think of many manga/anime that fits your criteria that I have read/watched, let alone any that are any good. This is why I prefer visual novels.

Well I got to recommend something... Let's recommend Angel Densetsu since you seem not to have read it, it's probably my favorite manga. It's more of a comedy than romance but it does have a main couple. They become a couple fairly early, even if they themselves do not realize it. It's the kind of chaste couple that takes forever just to kiss though so that can be a bit annoying. Also the art is a bit bad, though it gets better. Somewhat. I'm not really selling this am I? Just look it up on MAL and see if you're interested.

There is also Mysterious Girlfriend X. Actually nevermind that. I don't recommend it. 96 chapters of blue balls.

Well there is My Lovely Ghost Kana. It fits alo- "On hold". Well okay, at least you know about it. While we're still at it I could mention Ai-Ren, it's definitively a bit weir- "Dropped". God dammit! Sadly I can't think of many manga/anime that fits your criteria that I have read/watched, let alone any that are any good. This is why I prefer visual novels.

Well I got to recommend something... Let's recommend Angel Densetsu since you seem not to have read it, it's probably my favorite manga. It's more of a comedy than romance but it does have a main couple. They become a couple fairly early, even if they themselves do not realize it. It's the kind of chaste couple that takes forever just to kiss though so that can be a bit annoying. Also the art is a bit bad, though it gets better. Somewhat. I'm not really selling this am I? Just look it up on MAL and see if you're interested.

There is also Mysterious Girlfriend X. Actually nevermind that. I don't recommend it. 96 chapters of blue balls.

Lovely Ghost Kana, certainly does fit the criteria, but I was somewhat scared of finishing it because I had previously read Ai-Ren by the same author, which I couldn't tolerate because of... many things really. The world they were living in was really weird, and the attempts to explain the lore were mostly failures to me. Furthermore, there was a huge possibility of a not so good end, so I just dropped it.
Given the volatile existence that was Kana, I got a bit afraid and decided to leave it for when I desired endless pages of nothing but happy sex.

Angel Densetsu seems right up my alley, even if it doesn't fit all categories. I'll probably start with this.

Mysterious Girlfriend X was suggested by a friend, and it's been on and off my list for months (as I found more and more reasons to put it on or take it off). I'm almost sure one day I'll read it, but given your opinion, it definitely isn't today.

Lovely Ghost Kana, certainly does fit the criteria, but I was somewhat scared of finishing it because I had previously read Ai-Ren by the same author, which I couldn't tolerate because of... many things really. The world they were living in was really weird, and the attempts to explain the lore were mostly failures to me. Furthermore, there was a huge possibility of a not so good end, so I just dropped it.

Given the volatile existence that was Kana, I got a bit afraid and decided to leave it for when I desired endless pages of nothing but happy sex.

Angel Densetsu seems right up my alley, even if it doesn't fit all categories. I'll probably start with this.

Mysterious Girlfriend X was suggested by a friend, and it's been on and off my list for months (as I found more and more reasons to put it on or take it off). I'm almost sure one day I'll read it, but given your opinion, it definitely isn't today.

I can't really fault you for dropping Ai-Ren. It is a bit... out there. I still can't make sense of half the plot. Kana is completely different, it has a bit of dark stuff here and there but it does not really dwell upon them. It's far from a masterpiece but I thought it was decent.

Great, You won't regret reading Angel Densetsu. Unless you do and in that case I have nothing to do with this.

Mysterious Girlfriend X problem is that the couple stops moving forward completely after about one fifth in. Which is a bit of a problem when that is supposed to be the focus of the manga. It's too bad because it had a lot of promise. I swear one more plotline dedicated about Tsubaki getting tempted by another girl and I would have snapped, they must have done that at least four times. 

I can't really fault you for dropping Ai-Ren. It is a bit... out there. I still can't make sense of half the plot. Kana is completely different, it has a bit of dark stuff here and there but it does not really dwell upon them. It's far from a masterpiece but I thought it was decent.

Great, You won't regret reading Angel Densetsu. Unless you do and in that case I have nothing to do with this.

Mysterious Girlfriend X problem is that the couple stops moving forward completely after about one fifth in. Which is a bit of a problem when that is supposed to be the focus of the manga. It's too bad because it had a lot of promise. I swear one more plotline dedicated about Tsubaki getting tempted by another girl and I would have snapped, they must have done that at least four times. 

While it only sort of barely hit the requirements, Angel Densetsu is totally, absolutely, entirely my kind of thing. I'm pretty sure it ended up getting a ten. I loved it.

Now continuing with Love So Life and afterwards... Kanokon or perhaps Koharu no Hibi, depending on what type of romance I'm feeling like.

I might be able to help on the anime side. Where's your watched list so I don't recommend stuff you've already seen? I watch predominantly romantic comedies in anime as I'm a sucker for a good confession.

• They must become a couple (officially with a confession or unofficially if they just instinctively act like one) within the early first half. They can also start outright as a couple.

First half is hard since most romantic anime ends with the confession...

You've watched the bulk of the important stuff to watch. Offhand a couple of shows well worth watching (in anime form) not listed where the couples form before the end (all mentioned by others):

Waiting in the summer

Nazo no kanojo X (not the manga, the anime is satisfying in its own way if not to the point of H)

And two shows currently underway where coupling happens before the halfway mark that are ongoing:

Snow white with red hair (more of an otome show but romance there is)

Chivalry of a failed knight (my current favourite watch, here's hoping it remains that way). Not really just a romance anime but lots of ecchi in an action show.

You won't get H in any of them... Can't help you much there with mainstream anime.

It kills me that there are literally 30 shows I'm waiting on follow-up seasons to get to couplings so I haven't recommended anything from that vast collection.

There are other things with weird couplings too, like Dance in the vampire bund (vampire w werewolf though not a real couple) and Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (siblings that act like a couple)

Edit: I also note you haven't watched sword art online. There's a strong couple bond in that too though only season 1 is worth watching.

Edited by ittaku

Oops forgot to mention another current show with a "couple". You said no yaoi but you didn't say no yuri.

Valkyrie drive.

Not exactly a romance but lots of smut and definitely a couple. Make sure to watch a version that has been capped from AT-X. Commie subs will do.

I couldn't be bothered to ready every post to see if these had already been posted so don't get annoyed or anything. Anyway here's a list of some manga I think would kind of fit your list maybe just about. 

Can't see can't hear but love (manhwa)

Kimi no iru machi

Watashi ni xx shinasai

Orange Marmalade (manhwa)

Suzuka (doesn't exactly fit your mats but you might enjoy it)

Fuuka (same as above)