VNs where bad endings aren't exactly..... bad?

CeruleanGamer

I replayed Oyako Rankan again today and had a blast avoiding the NTRs and getting the epic harem scene. Although, the bad endings there aren't so bad since you get treated to a nice H-scene, and some are clearly better than the girls doing it with the protag. Now it got me thinking, are there VNs out there where bad endings aren't really bad at all? 

Example: Like getting the said bad ending gets you a nice H-scene, a nice fresh perspective/route, or some really funny stuff like in Majikoi with Miyako? 

I'm not sure exactly how I could search this on vndb since searching for "bad endings" doesn't really help me much.... XD

Hikoukigumo no Mukougawa - Aya "end" is technically the bad end to Miina route. Except for the fact that it doesn't have a proper ending, it acts like just another character route... kind of.

Sengoku Rance - Ran bad (?) end. After seeing Rance being the jerkass he is, it's nice to have that one route where you can say **** you Rance!

Otomimi Infinity - If you attempt to complete the main heroine route before you complete all other routes, you fail your mission and end up in the intimately loving care of your sister. Surely a fate worse than death?

Doki Doki Majo Shinpan - Not sure if this counts... but if the MC fails any mission, he gets turned into the ultimate do-gooder, where he is literally incapable of doing anything bad for the rest of his life. And he'll be happy about it, too!

One of the bad endings in Symphonic Rain isn't really bad, especially when you read it before finishing the VN.

I also recall Sachi's bad end in Sharin no Kuni giving you a unique H-scene, similarly to Kanon's bad end in G-Senjou (I think?)

Yeah, Kanon's bad end had an h scene, but it still is a pretty bad ending.

Other than that, I haven't gotten very many bad endings in my history of VNs so I can't really help you with that.

Edited by VirginSmasher

Hikoukigumo no Mukougawa - Aya "end" is technically the bad end to Miina route. Except for the fact that it doesn't have a proper ending, it acts like just another character route... kind of.

Sengoku Rance - Ran bad (?) end. After seeing Rance being the jerkass he is, it's nice to have that one route where you can say **** you Rance!

Otomimi Infinity - If you attempt to complete the main heroine route before you complete all other routes, you fail your mission and end up in the intimately loving care of your sister. Surely a fate worse than death?

Doki Doki Majo Shinpan - Not sure if this counts... but if the MC fails any mission, he gets turned into the ultimate do-gooder, where he is literally incapable of doing anything bad for the rest of his life. And he'll be happy about it, too!

Nice recommendations. I'll check these out quick. Also people are recommending Symphonic Rain in the VN section so I guess I'll jump the bandwagon now.

LOL on the Rance one. I think it was actually Ran's regular ending, not a bad one. It's good for a girl to stand up against him for once and make Rance look like a fool. Also that one bad ending with Rance in Sengoku Rance where

he turns into a girl. Wish it was actually a story material and not just a bad end scenario.

Kara no Shoujo, most good endings in any VN I've ever read. Even the bad endings are so light hearted!

Trust me :makina:

I played Kara no Shoujo before. It is "lighthearted" to me but not sure about the rest of these humans. :makina: 

Edited by CeruleanGamer

Seasons of Sakura - The only bad end you can get has Yuuji join the School liberation front and the Survival club. There's nothing bad about it except you don't get a girlfriend.

Hoshizora e Kakaru hashi - There's one ending where you pick Ayumu over any of the girls. You simply decide to stay by your brother's side and take care of him.

Steins;Gate - With the exception of the True end, all other endings are arguably bad ends (although they're of the "happy ever after variety", the main plot never gets resolved). I'd put forward my arguments as to why but, spoilers.

Rewrite - Same case as with S;G, except for the main plot ends (moon and terra) every other ending is essentially a bad one. It only turns "bad" if you consider what will happen in the future, tho.

One of the bad endings in Symphonic Rain isn't really bad, especially when you read it before finishing the VN.

I also recall Sachi's bad end in Sharin no Kuni giving you a unique H-scene, similarly to Kanon's bad end in G-Senjou (I think?)

Hmm, i was under the impression that Symphonic Rain only had bad or depressing endings. Reason i have avoided it like the plague :P

• 7 months later...

For Rewrite there is a bad end where all the girls disappear and he hugs his parents as the world ends, left a sour taste in my mouth, there's also another good end although you must complete all the routes plus side quests for it, I consider it the weirdest yet best ending

On 2015/10/23 at 4:25 AM, Mugi said:

Kara no Shoujo, most good endings in any VN I've ever read. Even the bad endings are so light hearted!

Trust me :makina:

Ironically, Kara no Shoujo is the first that comes to mind for me because

Spoiler

one of the first game's "bad" endings is the only one where Toko survives safe and sound.

On 10/27/2015 at 11:53 AM, Salurian said:

The Majikoi endings all tend toward more comedy than trajedy, in fitting with the lighthearted nature of the series.  That's the main one that comes to mind.

Yeah I was gonna mention this one exactly but that's because of how Majikoi is, those kinds of "bad endings" fit Majikoi just fine.