Your biggest turn-offs in visual novels?

CeruleanGamer

It's common not to like certain elements in visual novels even if they are your favorite ones. I'm curious what makes you guys hide under your seat, run away from your room as fast as you can, cover your face with your mousepad, hide behind your sister, kick, scream, and yell at your PC or simply Alt+F4 the game and never open it again. This may also be a thread to possibly discover hidden fetishes or other things to stay away from. Also, make sure to spoiler tag NSFW pics or story-related content. Here's my top no-no's for VNs....

- Cannibalism. After playing Yandere and Saya no Uta, this is something that really scared the crap out of me. I especially hate Vore/Cannibalism especially when there's blood and gore involved and not just swallowing. Although, I consider this cute:

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=12799775

- Sex involving Faceless, Ugly, Fat, Old men who abuses the girl constantly. It's fine if a man only has 1 or 2 of the elements, but altogether, it's definitely something I want to avoid. It's rather common in NTRs, a genre I really love, but I simply can't stand a VN if the only man who the girl has sex with is this kind of guy.

- Super duper dense male protagonist. The girl is literally pouring her heart out to confess her feelings, yelling in public to say she loves the protagonist to death and sometimes even stripping, and the male protagonist completely ignores her. Really not my cup of tea.

- Snakes. Surprisingly I can tolerate tentacles (in fact I love them!) but snakes are a different story. Not fond of seeing snakes sinking their fangs on a girl. I especially don't like it if they go..... in "there". Well, you know what I mean... :yumiko:

- Bara in Yaoi VNs. I'm fine with Yaoi but if BOTH men are "manly" men with heavy muscular features and giant dicks, It's something that turns me off. Like this one although this was from a doujin:

TaxgfCm.png

I prefer one of the males in a yaoi couple to be more feminine just like in my ideal yuris where one of the female acts more manly (like a butch). :sachi: 

- Bakunyuu. Gigantic breasts that no bra can contain. Not fan of breasts when they are 3-4x bigger than a woman's head. They are quite common in nukiges.

Edited by CeruleanGamer

Anything romance/sex related with a reliance on moe/loli/"cuteness". I VERY VERY VERY RARELY find such stuff attractive (Oddly enough, Saya is practically the sole example) while the rest is just annoying as fuck. Especially when they make the girls idiots who are irredeemable klutzes etc. for the sake of being cute.

Scat. Really not my thing. Still going to read Euphoria, I'll just consider the scat in it as a nauseating element. GET HYPE :Kappa:

<14 year olds in sex/romance. Just really can't enjoy this shit, and I'm glad for that. Part of it is the aforementioned emphasis on cuteness.

Yaoi. GIVE ME LADIES ANYWHERE ANYTIME

Public humiliation. This is usually for forced etc. stuff, but doesn't really get to me. My mind just wanders to what the consequences would be.

Edit: Would love to try fem on male rape. Cartagra had one such scene but the girl was unattractive as fuck so IDK

Edited by Funyarinpa

Rape and Netorare are my two big no-no's.

I can handle scat better than I handle any of these two which is pretty absurd.
I don't know why but every scene where a girl is getting raped is 99% of the times very distasteful to me, mostly because I don't find sexual arousing at all to completely dominate a female.
On the flip side, I absolutely love male rape and it's probably one of my more sought out genres when it comes to hentai. Weird huh.

Netorare follows a similar principle, I just don't understand the joy of reading about one's lover being taken away from the protagonist.
What really kills netorare for me though is that they're always taken by some old, ugly dudes most of the time and I just can't get into that.
But once again, the flip side applies, males getting NTR'd, when done right (no ugly fat old men involved) is something I really get into.

Well my biggest turn of is probably vore; scat and the like, it's really disgusting and I don't want to know why someone would even like it... also I don't play any games with yaoi in it 

Well I'll tell you why I personally like it, even if it's a bit off topic. Don't take this as me trying to convince you to read this stuff though, everyone has different tastes and I totally understand why most people wouldn't like it. Hell, I didn't like it myself at first.

When it comes to scat there's several different elements that can play in one's enjoyment of it.
For me it's the moral degratation of being seen doing probably one of the grossest things a human body can naturally do.

There's also very much an element of exoticism, if you can call it that, because it's probably the last thing you think about when you think of sex.
And of course there's the curiosity for a lot of people.
I find it particularly amusing to see scenes where the girl reaches such a peak in terms of pleasure that she ends up, well, I'll let you figure out the rest.

Note that scat and coprophagia (literally eating it) are separate and you don't necessarly need to enjoy the latter to enjoy the former. I personally find it rather repugnant to think about the latter, but I don't mind sex scenes where feces are present.

As for vore, honestly there's a wide range of things associated with vore. Different sensations depending on what/who is swallowing the person, etc.
I personally like imagening the different environments your body could be surrounded by when being swallowed.
The sensation of tighteness, the warmth and the fluids are all pretty interesting concepts on a sexual level.
Obviously since vore is impossible in real life in most scenarios, a lot of it is left up to you to imagine how it feels, and I think that's really the biggest charm point of vore.

I haven't found many things that I find revolting. However, a few I can name that make my skin crawl.

- Guro: Can't stand it. I like violent characters and Yanderes, but when it comes to the graphical aspect I really don't like it. Even in some games, I can't take it.

- Utsuge: I am already depressed enough, thank you very much. I hate sad endings and if something's sole purpose is to make me feel miserable, I'll avoid it like the plague. Heck, even some happy endings give me the blues.

-NTR: Even though the corruption of a character is something I find mesmerising (be it sexually or morally), I can't like NTR most of the times. I get attached to characters very easily and thus, the bad feelings I get from watching it are exacerbated. I also try to view sex as something more romantic than just carnal desire, which can complicate things further (even some sex scenes in Starless didn't arouse me due to being more about love than pleasure).

- Scat doesn't make me feel sick nor does it give me nausea, but I don't seek it.

Edited by InvictusCobra

as for i, a novel should by no means consist of the following:

sloppy written endings, or those way too open conclusion-wise
illogical plot and other obviously inconsistencies
an author, who doesnt treat his characters with needed respect, like killing them off only for ahhhs & ohhhs
chracters displaying inconsequent behaviour, or acting against their personality for no reason
superficial stories as a means of personal escapism
soulless stuff which doesnt reach ones heart, ergo in which the author didnt pour his own into whilst writing
donkan, or hetare protagonists

There are a lot of turnoffs for me in visual novels. Here are some of the biggest ones for me.

Rape- It just disturbs me a lot of the time. There can be VNs that have rape that don't turn me off the game entirely.

NTR- I don't like seeing the corruption of women. It's really fucked up.

Tentacles- I know it's a huge part of hentai and VNs, but I can't stand seeing them.

Old Men- Just seeing them raping/fucking a teenager creeps me out.

Routes only there for Hentai- This is a big problem with the Majikoi series cause the after story routes and one route in particular (Margit) are just  there for more pointless h scenes instead of development. I don't see the point of reading a route that's just there for hentai. I'd read a nukige if I wanted that.

Scat- Don't know how this turns people on, but I'll leave them to it.

Finally, Unexplained Tsunderes- I hate it when girls are tsunderes for a random reason. Like in Michiru's route in Grisaia, it should explain why the girls act that way or else it'll annoy me the entire VN.

- Bara in Yaoi VNs. I'm fine with Yaoi but if BOTH men are "manly" men with heavy muscular features and giant dicks, It's something that turns me off.

shun-nonbeliever-2.jpg?w=529

Ok, joking aside, I should add my own turn offs-
Super-pretty men: If your guys are prettier than any girl i've ever seen I go the other way.
Rape: I just don't like it. So far the only exception is euphoria, but I guess it can be argued based on how some of the girls act. (*stares at Nemu*)
Super tits: Just...why? Why do you need chest missiles so big that they could suffocate a man?
Faceless prtagonists: I understand this is a stupid turn-off, but I actually like being able to see the protag express himself/herself . Only a few exceptions have occured mainly because the story makes it worth it
NTR: It's just fucked up.

Edited by Hijiri
Pressed Submit too early/Added content

Did Sakura Swim Club traumatize you? :D

The other kind of watersports ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urolagnia

New fetish detected!

I dont know if I am considered weird but peeing in vns (after the girl cums) turns me on just like squirting. Not something I would do irl though because cleaning bed sheets of pee is a tedious task (from my babysitting days...)

Oh and I forgot about Scat. Definitely something I dont want in VNs although farting during sex is something I can tolerate. Although I've only seen them in western romance novels and not Japanese visual novels.

Edited by CeruleanGamer

as for i, a novel should by no means consist of the following:

sloppy written endings, or those way too open conclusion-wise
illogical plot and other obviously inconsistencies
an author, who doesnt treat his characters with needed respect, like killing them off only for ahhhs & ohhhs
chracters displaying inconsequent behaviour, or acting against their personality for no reason
superficial stories as a means of personal escapism
soulless stuff which doesnt reach ones heart, ergo in which the author didnt pour his own into whilst writing
donkan, or hetare protagonists

So much yes! This is everything that needs to be said. ^^

Really, if the story is good, everything is fine. Because in a good story, everything is part of the story thus it has a purpose. And I don't need to like everything I read because sometimes it's necessary to present even something unlikable to the reader to get the message across.

If a novel doesn't challenge me in some way, it's not a story worth to be told, in my opinion.

That said, bad writing is the only turn off for me. Some tropes are inherently bad writing style, like hetare and donkan, so those are obviously included.