Hoshizora no Memoria Review Discussion

solidbatman

I think we can at this point conclude that popular translated Visual Novels suck.

Such bad luck that I got suckered into this hobby.

I think it relates more to overly simplistic and generic VNs having a broader appeal by being able to offer a little of something to everyone. 

Or you have shit taste 

There where some valid points there.

Since I really like to repeat myself, scores in reviews are pointless. Reviewers using or being forced to use a score system of any kind (X/X, X.X%, or +/-A through F) are chumps. 

What does a score do, besides making people angry for no good reason? Scores are pointless shit.

It puts a number on things. Numbers are great. You can do math with numbers. Everyone loves math.

Since I really like to repeat myself, scores in reviews are pointless. Reviewers using or being forced to use a score system of any kind (X/X, X.X%, or +/-A through F) are chumps. 

What does a score do, besides making people angry for no good reason? Scores are pointless shit.

Scores are shit but I think anyone who gets angry over a number would also get angry when he reads that "the game overall is horrible".

First of all, I hope the review is marked with a big SPOILERS sign, because there's quite a lot in there.

Kosame/Komomo's routes being too redundant and Yume's route being somewhat... hazy on what exactly is happening (I wonder how much of this was caused by the translation) are the main criticisms I would agree with.

As for the rest: I think I've said this before, but it feels to me like you just didn't, well, actually understand the underlying plots of each route and chose to focus on the most obvious element and not think about the underlying causes of each girl's problem (something that becomes abundantly clear in how you describe Asuho's route).

Routes are tied together by a common theme, not by how they affect the plot of the true route (though there are definitely parts of the setting fleshed out in p. much all routes except Asuho's). The central theme of "cruel kindness", and how it's flipped somewhat in Yume's route, is actually quite decently done. In conclusion, you can't read :Kappa:

That said, I also liked Isuzu and the repetetive comedy, so maybe I just have shit taste.

It is simply impossible to portray an objective opinion through a number.  

The best way to do it, is writing a short conclusion. Like: "I would recommend [Name of the thing] to X or Y. Someone who's looking for W will be satisfied greatly. However, if you're a T person or looking for more Q, you should probably stay away."

Everything can and will be enjoyed by some type of person and it's your job as a reviewer, to tell people about the medium in a way, that allows everyone to make up their own opinions from that basis. Because if you don't do a service to the people reading these reviews, why are writing a review in the first place?

Also, dear Fuwa Reviewers, don't talk so much about writing if you actually don't know jack-shit about writing. Watching an episode of Half in the Bag and google searching the word "plothole" doesn't turn you into an expert writer. Not saying that about this review in particular or all of them, but it's something I noticed while browsing our review boards. 

Also, dear Fuwa Reviewers, don't talk so much about writing if you actually don't know jack-shit about writing. Watching an episode of Half in the Bag and google searching the word "plothole" doesn't turn you into an expert writer. Not saying that about this review in particular or all of them, but it's something I noticed while browsing our review boards. 

Did we finally earn our first hater!?

In my defense, anyway, I never googled plot hole, or watched whatever shitty show you mentioned. A plot hole is a plot hole, and bad writing is bad writing. You don't need any special training to understand that. 

In my defense, anyway, I never googled plot hole, or watched whatever shitty show you mentioned. A plot hole is a plot hole, and bad writing is bad writing. You don't need any special training to understand that. 

How do you know it's a shitty show if you never watched it? Is that the unbiased and open minded opinion a reviewer should have?

How do you know it's a shitty show if you never watched it? Is that the unbiased and open minded opinion a reviewer should have?

Said in jest. 

You're not attacking this the right way by questioning the legitimacy and the knowledge of the writer. What if I tell you I've read all of Barthes, Derrida and Godard, does that suddenly gives me the authority to say unilaterally that X is shit writing and Y isn't? Point out exactly what it is that you disagree with, otherwise this won't get further than a boring flame war.

B-B-But but.... Mare! :MareWish:

Obviously, Mare is a shit

I'll fight you. 

Anyways, even though I agree with a lot of the points raised, there's still a few hilarious misconceptions. One being how Isuzu's personality is somehow only a result of her missing the Australian night sky? I mean I hate Isuzu as much as everyone else, but that was most definitely not the reason why she ended up a foul tempered introvert, and the game straight up tells you she's anti-social because she didn't know Japanese when moving from Australia to Japan and therefore had no friends.

Did we finally earn our first hater!?

I'm too nice of a person to become a hater. On the other hand, I'm still a :salt: machine.
I've already given my opinion on some aspects of how I like my reviews, and a great deal of Fuwareviews don't seem to meet them. Not that it's wrong per say... I'm an enjoyment > quality kind of guy and the conclusion I arrived at last time is that a 3/10 here is equivalent to a 8/10 for me. My actually factual crap taste doesn't seem to help either.

It just annoys me that the times this happens are when it comes to romances, as other sort of titles seem to have scores similar to my own. I clearly have a romance bias, that's just it.

It is simply impossible to portray an objective opinion through a number.  

The best way to do it, is writing a short conclusion. Like: "I would recommend [Name of the thing] to X or Y. Someone who's looking for W will be satisfied greatly. However, if you're a T person or looking for more Q, you should probably stay away."

The best way to do it, is writing a short conclusion. Like: "I would recommend [Name of the thing] to 1 or 2. Someone who's looking for 3 will be satisfied greatly. However, if you're a 4 person or looking for more 5, you should probably stay away."

Numbers rule. 

It was a shitty visual novel tho.  The whole game it kept alluding to something deep and mysterious, like you're a character who had a past life or some shit, and then once you get into a route POOF!  all of that plot device is fucking gone.  Prepare for wacky out of nowhere plot twists as well, making it pretty pretentious for a slice of life game, on top of those sleep inducing sections of reading where you're being taught a bunch of bullshit you don't care about about japanese folklore of celestial bodies.  It didn't inspire emotion in me, i didn't feel satisfied getting a full clear, and the artwork i ended up with just wasn't worth the hours i put into it.  If you want a game with a similar kind of feeling, but far better atmosphere, a lot more action, and the potential to make you feel genuine feels and bawl your eyes out at a true end, i recommend wind a breath of heart.