Obtaining VNs

alexthetrex

Wrong topic post, rip

Anyways yeah, just google it, there are plenty of online shops where you can buy them from. Or if you don't like buying things, there are plenty of ways to obtain them which can't be talked about on the forums.

Edited by Mugi

Buying them... Yeah right. The prices are absolutely insane.

Not Japan's fault that you are poor :Kappa:

Well, rather than argue my financial situation, i'd argue that the vn's are overpriced. 40$ for a vn is too much, no discussion should be had about this.

Edited by Stormwolf

Well, rather than argue my financial situation, i'd argue that the vn's are overpriced. 40$ for a vn is too much, no discussion should be had about this.

Well new ones in Japan are 8800 yen that is around $70 so...

Well new ones in Japan are 8800 yen that is around $70 so...

mfw that's the average console video game price here

mfw it's still insane

Sakura games are less than 10 bucks on steam if you want "cheap" vn. They come out monthly too! Note that you get what you pay for.... literally.

Well, VNs might well take longer to read than the playtime of vidya and generally cost $20 less, don't they? - though arguably they might have the same amount of padding sometimes. Sales also exist. Not blaming people for not buying them, still, but do think things through.

Well, you notice in many vn's that they really drag the story out in order to justify the price. Worse yet are the one true ending stories which completely tosses the other routes out the window.

Well, you notice in many vn's that they really drag the story out in order to justify the price. Worse yet are the one true ending stories which completely tosses the other routes out the window.

ya i agree, it feels like a machine made it and any real story is ruin by the machine.

True endings are literally my fetish, I mentally masturbate every time I see one that feels true-endingish. I will raise 「insert shitty oelvn here」 up by like a point for having a true ending.

Well, obviously i like true endings as well. I just think they should be made in a way that doesn't ruin the other 5x 5-10 hour stories you've gone through.

The thing is, there's a lot of things that go into VN production that means that this price is, from a purely economic point of view, generally justifiable. For each VN, you need people that can draw - not just sprites, but other things too, like CGs, backgrounds and all the other odds and sods that make it look pretty. You then need someone to write it - many VNs are longer than some novels (20k and above words are pretty standard), and then you need someone to do music. And advertising. And voice acting, regularly. Many have opening themes from external artists too. If you're getting a translated VN, someone needs to translate that shit too. VNs are a comparatively niche market even in Japan (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) so to pay for all of this, and to make enough of a profit going to have made it worth their time, I would say that $40 is a bloody good price.

Edited by AaronIsCrunchy

True endings are literally my fetish, I mentally masturbate every time I see one that feels true-endingish. I will raise 「insert shitty oelvn here」 up by like a point for having a true ending.

Well, obviously i like true endings as well. I just think they should be made in a way that doesn't ruin the other 5x 5-10 hour stories you've gone through.

Virtue's Last Reward 

Ever17 

Steins Gate 

I need to get around to Ever17 some day. It's been on the list for too long already!

Steins Gate vn much better than anime? I've seen the anime at least. And does it end with the movie, or is the movie an original?

E17 is amazing. It has my favorite character in anything ever, and the finale is god tier. 

As for S;G, I think that the general consensus is that the VN is better. Haven't seen the anime but S;G is definitely worth playing through even if you watched the anime because it has some GREAT character endings not present in the anime. The anime follows a particular ending in the VN, but the other endings are very important to the story IMO. 

Edited by Funyarinpa