Today's Project: BBCode Update/Editor Tweaks

Tay

Friday 10/16/2015

My site work today will focus on this and tonight's VNTS post. If you're around and willing to help me by participating in this thread, I'll be very grateful!

The Situation: The forums no longer use BBCode. We have to replace all that functionality with comparable CKEditor plugins.

• IPB 4 has fully transitioned from BBCode to CKEditor. I was led to believe that some BBCode functionality would remain in IPB 4 -- and two settings in the new ACP made me think that this was so -- but I was wrong. No more BBCode here. Only CKEditor.

The Good News: CKEditor has a huge array of plugins to replace this functionality

The Bad News: We have to change the way we post. We've all gotten used to a posting workflow, and it's changed a bit.

INITIAL UPDATE:

• (Slightly Unrelated) Widened all themes so they don't look as squished. Do you like it?
  • Next Up: Restoring "Preview post" functionality

Is there a place that lists all the codes that are possible to use in this new editor? I'd like to update the previous "BB codes" thread.

Or is typing out codes a thing of the past now? If so, that's kind of a bummer since I'm so used to doing it with BB codes.

Is there a place that lists all the codes that are possible to use in this new editor? I'd like to update the previous "BB codes" thread.

Or is typing out codes a thing of the past now? If so, that's kind of a bummer since I'm so used to doing it with BB codes.

Code List -- No, unfortunately. We'll have to figure it out by trial and error.

Manually inputting codes -- Many of them still work, such as [ spoiler ] and [ hr ], for example. We just need to itemize which ones are working/broken.

BTW -- You still have ACP access to the editor, Nosebleed, so feel free to look around. You'll see that instead of BBCode lists, we're now exclusively working with CKEditor plugins. It's easy to add buttons (plugins or custom ones), but it's definitely a different approach.

Friday 10/16/2015

My site work today will focus on this and tonight's VNTS post. If you're around and willing to help me by participating in this thread, I'll be very grateful!

The Situation: The forums no longer use BBCode. We have to replace all that functionality with comparable CKEditor plugins.

• IPB 4 has fully transitioned from BBCode to CKEditor. I was led to believe that some BBCode functionality would remain in IPB 4 -- and two settings in the new ACP made me think that this was so -- but I was wrong. No more BBCode here. Only CKEditor.

The Good News: CKEditor has a huge array of plugins to replace this functionality

The Bad News: We have to change the way we post. We've all gotten used to a posting workflow, and it's changed a bit.

INITIAL UPDATE:

• (Slightly Unrelated) Widened all themes so they don't look as squished. Do you like it?
  • Next Up: Restoring "Preview post" functionality

No more BBCode.. *Flips table* I knew this would happen! *walks away* I freakin' knew it!

Well, since it uses plugins, we can just make a BBCode plugin to enable the codes.. Right?

Change the way we post? Pff! Yeah, right.. *slight panic*

(Nosebleed) RE: Testing -- I think the tricky thing is that a lot of those codes now work via direct embed (posting a link and pressing enter will auto-embed it). You mentioned that gif, gifv, and mp3s are not embedding, however, so we'll need to add plugins for those.

(Xions) RE: Plugins -- Yep, exactly. We just need to figure out what we're missing and add comparable plugins. Should work just fine afterwards.

UPDATE: Previews

After looking into it, I'm pretty convinced that we're not going to get back the old "Preview Post" button from IPB 3. I really liked it, too, so I feel the pain. Nay may be able to figure something out when his life calms down, mind you, but in the meantime, I've come up with a different solution: 

• I've added a preview button to the editor (it looks like a piece of paper with a magnifying glass on top of it). Right now it's just on PC, but it'll soon appear for tablets and phones.
  • Please let me know what you think of it!

One thing I'd definitely like to see back, since BB codes are RIP, is the ability to add any text color you want and be able to see it on the post.
Right now there's only a select few colors to chose from, there's no option that lets you either pick from a color selector or to insert a hexadecimal value.

I've found that the BB code for colors still works, but pressing the preview button won't show the color, just the raw code. You're only able to see the colors embedding when you make the post. (or if you use one of the preset colors directly from the editor)

One thing I'd definitely like to see back, since BB codes are RIP, is the ability to add any text color you want and be able to see it on the post.
Right now there's only a select few colors to chose from, there's no option that lets you either pick from a color selector or to insert a hexadecimal value.

I've found that the BB code for colors still works, but pressing the preview button won't show the color, just the raw code. You're only able to see the colors embedding when you make the post. (or if you use one of the preset colors directly from the editor)

Ok, I'll tackle this right now and get back to you.

PS: Try the ACP again. Should work now.

Hey, Nosebleed, I'm a bit confused. The text color selector does work for me and has a "more colors" option which lets you add hex colors. Further: the preview does show the custom color for me.

It's not working for you?

EDIT: Now it's gone. Nvm. You doing anything in the ACP? If not, I'll get the plugin to fix this for you. I know which one we need.

Edited by Tay

Ayy, now it's there. I guess that fixes the issue then.

Other possible suggestion, what do you think of re-ordering the editor options to make it look more like it used to be, just for aesthetics sake?

8Zbz9WX.png

Of course getting usedd to a new layout is fine, but using something that's closer to the old one wouldn't hurt.

Alright, this is as close as I could get to the previous editor layout with a few minor changes.

Buttons added:

• Undo/redo
  • Background color (this was missing from the previous one as well but I think it's a nice feature)
  • Preferences
  • Increase/decrease indents.

Buttons that don't exist in this editor and were in the previous one:

• Swich to raw BB code form
  • Special BB code
  • My Media (not like it was ever used)
  • Find
  • Replace
  • Paste from Word
  • Remove hyperlink
  • Twitter

Thoughts?

Stuff I Think We're Missing:

Hmmm. Take a look at this one. This could be great, or terrible.

This colour stuff is fun.

try it out. Could be amazing.

I'll need to do a full backup before I'd try this one. I have no idea how this could affect existing content...

But yeah, worth a shot, guys?

I'll need to do a full backup before I'd try this one. I have no idea how this could affect existing content...

But yeah, worth a shot, guys?

It's not going to be another "Fuwapocolypse".. Right?

We can only hope...

Ok, well, what about those other plugins, Nosebleed? Should we put them up?

Regarding BBCode plugin: I'll do a backup in a bit. I'll need to shut the forums down temporarily while it runs, however, so I'll first need to make a warning message.

We can only hope...

Ok, well, what about those other plugins, Nosebleed? Should we put them up?

Regarding BBCode plugin: I'll do a backup in a bit. I'll need to shut the forums down temporarily while it runs, however, so I'll first need to make a warning message.

The message should say: "Fuwapocolypse V2.0 in progress".

Should generate enough panic and riot I believe (hehe).