Today's Project: BBCode Update/Editor Tweaks

Tay

Ok, well, what about those other plugins, Nosebleed? Should we put them up?

I'm unsure of what exactly the line utilities could be used for. Could you explain like I'm 5?

Paste from Word seems fine to me, we had it before too.

RE: Line Utilities -- I'm not sure, actually. I think it's stuff like horizontal rules and similar spacing options. 

Ok, going to do the backup in ~5 mins.

So. Turns out the BBCode plugin is poison. We won't be re-implementing it.

Let us all praise Nay for saving our lives, and for teaching me to make regular backups.

Longer Version:

Tried it out, it killed the forums. Chaos everywhere. Rioting in the streets. Whole forums disintegrating before our eyes. So I restored the file backup. No effect. Tried an in-software restore of the toolbar defaults. No effect. Ultimately Nay helped me destroy and re-create the database. It worked. Praise be to Nay.

UPDATE: 

Alright, so. I think we've made some great improvements to the WYSIWYG editor. I know a lot of people are complaining about the line spacing -- that's something in the theme, not the CKEditor, turns out, so I'll need to work with the dev to address it.

What else about the editor/missing bbcode do we need to address?

(I'm taking a little break from this to go to a meeting, but I'll be back later today to tackle whatever else people point out)

What do you mean BB code is gone? Isn't stuff like [ IMG ] tags BB code? Or do I just not know what BBCode is?

Oh, and re: Line spacing, I can select the line spaces to type in on mobile, and accidentally posted an image in one, and it broke the image in my post until I moved it to a new line. Maybe I should test some more with that to see what damage I can do :sachi:

Oh, and unrelated, is there a way to turn off the "Edited by" line option always being checked? I always have to uncheck it when I edit a post :amane:

What do you mean BB code is gone? Isn't stuff like [ IMG ] tags BB code? Or do I just not know what BBCode is?

Oh, and re: Line spacing, I can select the line spaces to type in on mobile, and accidentally posted an image in one, and it broke the image in my post until I moved it to a new line. Maybe I should test some more with that to see what damage I can do :sachi:

Oh, and unrelated, is there a way to turn off the "Edited by" line option always being checked? I always have to uncheck it when I edit a post :amane:

If you use those tags the software will auto-convert them to its HTML-based formatting. So in that sense, yeah, many of the BBCodes will still work. The issue is for BBCodes for which we don't have our own plugin. AKA: if a BBCode doesn't have a corresponding plugin in our new system, it won't be recognized.

Thus, if people want to help me find "broken" BBCodes, I'll try to find corresponding CKEditor plugins to interpret them.

Do we have webm support yet? If not, I'd like to suggest the ability to embed webms. webm is the standard embeddable video format on the web these days.

http://s1.webmshare.com/DG80M.webm

edit: and maybe mp4s if you're feeling spicy. I don't know if this is in the realm of today's activities, but the only other complaint I have is that you can't change the size of youtube embeds. They always stretch to the full width of the post, which is kind of crazy.

Edited by Decay

Tested all the codes I wrote in my thread and here are the results

BB Codes that still work:

• b, i, u, s
  • size
  • left, center, right
  • color
  • font
  • url
  • spoiler
  • hr
  • list (with bullets only)
  • acronym
  • img (shortened version doesn't work though)

BB codes that no longer work

• twitter
  • media (while the code seems to be interpreted since it goes away when you post, it's not actually embedding anything)

Things that still embed:

• gfycat (only if you paste the URL in the "insert image" option)
  • common image formats (embed automatically now)
  • youtube videos (embed automatically now)

Things that won't embed anymore:

• mp3
  • swf
  • gifv

Thoughts on the preview button: It doesn't seem to interpret BBcode so it doesn't show anything that the wysiwyg editor isn't already showing, nor does it show you what your post will look like in the forums. To put it bluntly, it's completely pointless.

And although Nosebleed says that img codes don't work, they've worked for me. I'm not sure what the issue is.

And although Nosebleed says that img codes don't work, they've worked for me. I'm not sure what the issue is.

The problem, for me at least, is that URLs get automatically hyperlinked as soon as I press enter or even just "submit reply", thus the img tag never embeds anything and looks like this every time:

[img=http://i.imgur.com/aMeQluL.jpg]

Although the problems this has posed have pretty much been made null since images now embed automatically.

Edit: This completely went over my head before but I just tried using the regular img tag where you open and close the code and that actually does work fine and embeds the image, although it seems glitchy and adds random block characters every time you touch it.

So I guess it's just the shortened version of the img tag that got borked. Interesting.

The Bad News: We have to change the way we post. We've all gotten used to a posting workflow, and it's changed a bit.

Well, shit.  No wonder.

This new text editor is so horribad, double spacings, spoiler tagging and quoting stuff creates a cess pit, no preview posting,,,,,;;WEKJRq;klrjwg

I tried to copy pasta some old walkthroughs from the backup old site but lol glhf pasting it in the current forums 

Edited by Eclipsed

The Bad News: We have to change the way we post. We've all gotten used to a posting workflow, and it's changed a bit.

Well, shit.  No wonder.

This new text editor is so horribad, double spacings, spoiler tagging and quoting stuff creates a cess pit, no preview posting,,,,,;;WEKJRq;klrjwg

I tried to copy pasta some old walkthroughs from the backup old site but lol glhf pasting it in the current forums 

RE: Walkthroughs -- Yeah, I went through and did that with ~9 walkthroughs which were nuked. Not fun and takes a while, but a lot of the formatting is still workable (the spoilers should still work). I don't mind dealing with broken walkthroughs if you/any other mods are filled with IPB4hate (: P), if people will post which ones need it.