Funimation sending DMCA takedowns over anime screenshots on Twitter

Down

Yep, you read that right. Several people on twitter received DMCA takedown notices on twitter for sharing screenshots of anime episodes, origin is apparently FUNimation, a simulcast company known for their often bad translations and encoding. Apparently some accounts might already be suspended.

If you wondered what post-TPP world will feel like, this might be a good foretaste. Look forward to cosplay getting the same.

The grimdark dystopian future is finally here, but it's not nearly as rad as we all thought it would be. Instead of cyborgs, flying cars, and smokestacks perpetually shooting jets of fire, it's lawyers, impenetrable legal codes, and people being threatened with fines for having an opinion on the internet. 

No. Kissanime isn't a fansub group but a piracy site that uploads subbed anime (often official subs) to secret private youtube accounts that can't be acted against for some reason, maybe due to how the embedding works. 

It does? I was under the impression that they just used the same video player that Youtube did. 

Is that the case? Bandwidth is expensive, there are a lot of people who use kissanime, and although the site is lousy with ads with a premium service, I can't understand how they'd stay afloat if they hosted the videos themselves. And the youtube player isn't publicly available, is it? 

edit: I could very well be wrong about this. It's just that there are so many 720p+ high bitrate videos and so many people using the site, and the speed is so good, it would surprise me if it was all self-hosted. But maybe it is. That's kind of besides the point, anyways. The site is pirating a whole lot of Funimation videos. 

Edited by Decay

Is that the case? Bandwidth is expensive, there are a lot of people who use kissanime, and although the site is lousy with ads with a premium service, I can't understand how they'd stay afloat if they hosted the videos themselves. And the youtube player isn't publicly available, is it? 

I'm not sure, I know I've seen it on several other sites as well though. Also, the one used on Kissanime is outdated, I imagine if it was connected to Youtube that it would be updated as the official one is updated. Also i'm pretty sure they have a second player as well, not sure if they host that one themselves or not since I don't know how HTML hosting works.

edit: I could very well be wrong about this. It's just that there are so many 720p+ high bitrate videos and so many people using the site, and the speed is so good, it would surprise me if it was all self-hosted. But maybe it is. That's kind of besides the point, anyways. The site is pirating a whole lot of Funimation videos. 

Kissanime was "down" few weeks ago because they were switching servers and moving all their videos there so pretty sure it's self-hosted.

This is nothing new. They have had a YT account deleted for uploading S2 UBW opening. Seriously what the feck...

One thing I don't get though, companies making TV shows profit from selling rights to air those shows on the TV, right? So why the hell are they concerned about people watching these shows on the internet, when they are still going to get their profit from selling the rights to air these shows?

Edited by Nightmare799

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread since recent events have refueled the topic. Basically the copyright trolls that funimation hired for all this DMCA bullshit (removepiracy) issued DMCAs over the slightests anime screenshots on twitter to several accounts. This seems to follow from the literal meltdown of this guy here.

As a result, several accounts got permanently banned. Of course, anime screenshots should come under fair use, and at the very least DMCA shouldn't be issued by a company that has zero legal claims to some of the shows that were being screenshotted. But twitter doesn't seem to give a fuck.

Of course, they could appeal to twitter to get their accounts ban since the whole thing is bullshit... But here comes the fun part: in order to send a counter-claim, you need to give to Twitter your name, address and phone number. And the people issuing the DMCA claim will get this counter-claim too. Which doesn't exactly seem like the best idea in the world.

The legal disaster that is DMCA can therefore be used to permanently ban people on twitter by companies that don't like them, and they have little recourse if they want to remain anonymous from the copyright troll company.

Btw this doesn't seem to be related to the DDoS attacks that have been occuring on various well-know websites of dubious legality. That's probably just another salty guy with too much time (and means/money) on his hands.

13 minutes ago, Down said:

Bumping this thread since recent events have refueled the topic. Basically the copyright trolls that funimation hired for all this DMCA bullshit (removepiracy) issued DMCAs over the slightests anime screenshots on twitter to several accounts. This seems to follow from the literal meltdown of this guy here.

As a result, several accounts got permanently banned. Of course, anime screenshots should come under fair use, and at the very least DMCA shouldn't be issued by a company that has zero legal claims to some of the shows that were being screenshotted. But twitter doesn't seem to give a fuck.

Of course, they could appeal to twitter to get their accounts ban since the whole thing is bullshit... But here comes the fun part: in order to send a counter-claim, you need to give to Twitter your name, address and phone number. And the people issuing the DMCA claim will get this counter-claim too. Which doesn't exactly seem like the best idea in the world.

The legal disaster that is DMCA can therefore be used to permanently ban people on twitter by companies that don't like them, and they have little recourse if they want to remain anonymous from the copyright troll company.

Btw this doesn't seem to be related to the DDoS attacks that have been occuring on various well-know websites of dubious legality. That's probably just another salty guy with too much time (and means/money) on his hands.

And here we see why anime was a mistake and anime fans are literally the worst people ever.

5 minutes ago, Mugi said:

What the actual fuck happened?

It seems that Herkz got banned from Twitter and that guy is reporting everybody from ... Commie(?) because he doesn't like them. Possibly cause they trekked dogshit into his house. Or possibly cause they ran over his expensive model drone thing. Or possibly because he's mixing drugs with alcohol.

In other news, I'm too old for internet drama.