/r/visualnovels Census Results

Darklord Rooke

Unless you've been sick or (suspiciously) indisposed, you may have realised that reddit was doing a census. Well, the results are in (with over 500 participants, you sad, sad individuals) and you can go over the results in full on the thread below. If you'd rather a short summary, I'll provide that for you guys here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3ogp56/rvisualnovels_census_results/

Average age - 22ish. Not surprising that VNs are a young people's medium. A nasty man would tie 'age' with the need for 'pictures' and conclude something rather inappropriate, but that's not me :3

Gender breakdown 90% males. Again not surprising, Reddit is a young man thing. Females consisted of 6% of respondents, at least half of which were also males.

First VN The vast majority experienced Katawa Shoujo first, with Fate/Stay Night and Ace Attorney a distant second and third. A cynical man would link Katawa Shoujo's tendency to be experienced first with the medium's low participation rate

Path into OtakudomAnime ranked highest, followed by vid games and manga. Don't ask me what this means, whether it's the Japanese medium you experienced first, the one which had the most influence over you, or something completely different is something I can't be bothered interpreting. I'll just press my lips together tightly and make thoughtful noises.

The oldest VN you have readTsukihime is the oldest VN most people have read, followed by Phoenix Wright and Muv Luv, because they're mostly youngsters and will never experience the glory of 90s VNs. I grieve for them. 

Other VN communities you visitSteam, VN discord (NFI), 4chan /vg, Fuwa, 4chan /jp. It should be noted that Fuwa has the largest number of lurkers, because we're all lazy here.

Let's see... what else is interesting:

Most important VN attributes - Story came in top, followed by writing then visuals. This means there's an awful lot of liars who took the Reddit survey.

Favourite kind of dere - Dan was 1st, Kuu 2nd, Tsun third, Bambi didn't rate and I hate you all for it.

Best translation - Grisaia was first, daylight 2nd and third.

Favourite Western Publisher - Sekai was 1st, MG 2nd, JAST third. This is where Dovac sits in front of his monitor laughing at all the guys constantly shitting on him, then starts banging his desk with his fist, then pointing, then more fist banging, at which point he clutches his heart and tips off his chair onto the floor. A thumb will then catapult up into eyesight from below the desk giving an enthusiastic thumbs up, before slowly sinking down amidst gurgles and giggles. 

And there's a bunch of other stuff you can find by reading the thread. 

Edited by Rooke

I took this survey and the questions were not that interesting (some were jokes which was funny, some like the translation quality ones looked like jokes but weren't which wasn't that funny) although yay data.

The last piece of data you mentioned is probably the most interesting one. I expected MG to sit there but I guess there's an overwhelming number of Grisaia and/or Clannad fans that have not idea what's in MG's catalog.

And dovac seemed surprised about it but not that much, at least not in #visualnovels.

I don't know whether to be amazed at the predictability of these results or not. :makina:

I found the average amount of VNs owned to be the most interesting statistic with more than half of the respondants owning less than 10 VNs.

I just lurk there once in a while and I pretty much predicted almost all of the main results pretty easily.  The circlejerks there are pretty easy to identify, like most of reddit's are.  The age and gender results were a given, regardless of the site, though.  I remember Fuwa's user stats being pretty similar in that regard.

As to the number of VNs owned, that is rather surprising, considering how a lot of the commenters seem to verbally spit on torrenters and take the "holier than thou" view.  I have a fair amount thanks to bundles and the occasional sales, and I still torrent, so either the commenters are full of crap, or there are a lot of lurkers on r/visualnovels that torrent and rarely buy and seem to almost never comment.

I pirate tons of stuff and I own more than 10 VNs as well. I wouldn't say commenters are full of crap, what I do think is that the average VN player doesn't even READ more than 10 VNs outside of the big titles, so I would point that out as one of the reasons for those numbers.

I have friends who say they love VNs yet they've only played Grisaia and FSN.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the titles that were picked as favorites in the census were mostly voted on by people who just played that single title and think it's better than the rarest of pepes.

Hard to call those people visual novel players, to be honest. Playing with an RC plane doesn't make you a pilot, neither holding a rifle makes you a sniper. With that kind of attitude, it's hard to treat the results as firm; majority of so called "vn players" usually do not even scratch the surface and it's kind of... sad.

Edited by Narcosis

Umineko is #3 on the "best translation" list, absolute top fuckin' kek right there. Also 33%: "As long as I can follow the VN, I'll accept plenty of errors." This is why we can't have nice things.

Along with things like Rewrite, Muv Luv, and Fate Stay Night. Granted nothing other than Grisaia got many votes, but people vote for that solely because they hear everyone say it is. 

Sekai Project has a following on /r/visualnovels because, surprise, they post there a lot.  Meanwhile I've never seen MangaGamer post there, and JAST only posts there to argue about censorship and "speculate" about restoration patches.

Given that /r/visualnovels has become a gathering spot for those interested in OELVNs, I suppose it's not surprising that fans there would gravitate towards Sekai Project for that reason also.

Edited by sanahtlig

I pirate tons of stuff and I own more than 10 VNs as well. I wouldn't say commenters are full of crap, what I do think is that the average VN player doesn't even READ more than 10 VNs outside of the big titles, so I would point that out as one of the reasons for those numbers.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the titles that were picked as favorites in the census were mostly voted on by people who just played that single title and think it's better than the rarest of pepes.

Nosebleed tho :wub:

I'm probably one of those noobs you're referring to, since I've only played 20-ish VN's myself :amane:

This could have to do with the sheer length of titles in the VN medium as a whole.  I consider myself a VN fan but the sheer length of everything means I can't finish much between social life and writing stuff.  Though I do have quite a few I've 'started', most about 60% to complete on the first route or so.

do you expected 14-15y old premature chicks beeing all over the dominant and leacherous type?

There's a fine line between being dominant and being an asshole

See: Kenichi vs. Yuuji (especially during Michiru's route in Kajitsu)

I'm just baffled that those three are on there, but Kyousuke isn't. Kyousuke is the biggest piece of shit for like 95% of G-Senjou

fans that have no idea what's in MG's catalog.

minori titles and a huge steaming pile of nukige? Ok, ok, fine, they've got a couple Innocent Grey titles, Higurashi ch. 1, and probably one or two other things I missed, but still, MG has a rather large catalog of what I consider mostly crap (results may vary based on taste, naturally). If so many people self-identify as appreciating story and writing, though, then they're probably not irrational in identifying Sekai Project as their favorite western publisher. In spite of a only-wikipedia-knows-how-many-years head start on SP, MG still has probably about the same number of published titles as SP that I actually have any interest in, and there's certainly more on the horizon from SP that I'm interested in than their is from MG.