(Archived) IPB 4 Update Complete

Tay

This thread used to be three separate threads dealing with A) the IPB 4 upgrade, B) our new theme, and C) Feedback. In a twist that surprised absolutely nobody, this attempt at being organized only fueled the madness and panic that users were feeling in the streets. I have extracted all the information, feedback, and bugs from this thread, and put it in a new one.

Therefore: this thread is more or less a decayed corpse of rage and fear. You're welcome to read it and enjoy it, but all discussion on this topic should now go into the new thread.

FEEDBACK, ERROR REPORTING, AND INFO IS NOW FOUND IN A NEW THREAD:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE PROPHECY HAS BEEN FULFILLED

12037066403_b7a15a41ea_o.jpg

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears;
On this day, the Eighth of October, twenty fifteen,
history was made, and history was reborn!

My friends, I bid you welcome…
To IPB 4.0

Please report bugs/anomalies here in this thread. IPB 4 gives us a lot more control over aesthetics than IPB 3 did, so if you have design suggestions you can post them here as well. I'd especially like feedback about the text editor, themes, and overall changes.

Note: IPB 4 queues a bunch of background processes during installation, so it's likely still combing through the forums updating the database. That means there WILL be "bugs" which will self-resolve after the combing ends. I decided to keep the forums closed to the public until most of those processes were complete, but a few are still running and may give you glitches. Please report them in this thread.

Edited by Tay

Things You'll Probably Love and/or need to know:

• You can now tag people in posts, just like I'm doing right now: @solidbatman
  • The WYSIWYG editor is now an editable ckeditor, which means we can consider adding some of the thousands of ckeditor extensions out there
  • Gravity Green 2013 no longer works with the forums software : (
  • Tons of new email options, including daily/weekly digests, as well as customizing the emails you're receiving (in your User CP)
  • Profiles are now an effective way of tracking your own, or someone else's activity
  • Blogs get some great new blocks to customize their pages
  • Blogs get new design options
  • Importing a feed into a blog now works much better than before
  • Links to stuff like Youtube and Twitter now auto-embed
  • Post drafts now auto-save as you go! (!!!!!one11!!!!!)
  • We've got some new apps to play around with
  • Polls are more dynamic now
  • Mods have many more tools at their disposal to oppress the proletariat masses
  • Blogs can create header images (let me know if you have problems with this!)

Options

• We can now theoretically create Q & A forums
  • We now have much more control over aesthetics of the themes
  • We now have lots of new tools for featuring popular posts, similar content, etc.
  • Tons of new ACP settings

Technical Changes

• Obviously lots of aesthetic changes
  • Some users' had a different log-in name than their public-facing forums display name back on IPB 3. After the upgrade these two were merged together. From here on out you'll simply log-in with your display name (the name that was public-facing before the upgrade).
  • The sidebar on the forums index is now being cached every minute or so, meaning that when you post a new thread, it won't show up on the sidebar for ~a minute
Edited by Tay

• Tay featured and unfeatured this topic

Added a new theme to the forums to celebrate the long-overdue fulfillment of prophecy. This one is called "Temporal". It's got a lot of cool features: the background colors will change throughout the day (Night, sunrise, daytime, sunset). 

The logo at the top isn't anything special, just a placeholder. Maybe we should host a competition for making a new logo for it?

Give it a try! Please let me know about any problems you have, or suggestions you have for its  improvement.

Edited by Tay

Aw yeeeeeah, Fuwa's back :3

I quite like the new theme, as a whole. Have to zoom out a bit to use it to my liking, and I'd say the changes have made the FuwaFabulous theme look quite boxy and ugly. Just as well Temporal's all nice and pretty, really :sachi:

Looking forward to the time changes!

Topics are being bumped into the recent topics box whenever you post in them. (Just tested with the Nisekoi thread).

Hopefully you find a fix for this, otherwise expect chaos.

Edit: Can't un-check the "show edit by" option anymore :(

Posted this in the other thread by accident because topic bumping confused me. Tay pls.