G-senjou no Maou LIVE on Steam

Hackrabbits

Regarding doing a patch for g-senjou no maou's original versions showing the whole backgrounds, I'll consider that a downgrade, to be honest. A lot of detail will be lost in the environments when downscaled and some parts might not be meant to be shown. There's a reason why they did the original version of the game the way they did, I'll trust the developers on this one.

If this is from Sekai project - you praise them, how awesome are full big detailed backgrounds with whole set of details. If this is fan and free - you see this as downgrade. Just great.

Regarding doing a patch for g-senjou no maou's original versions showing the whole backgrounds, I'll consider that a downgrade, to be honest. A lot of detail will be lost in the environments when downscaled and some parts might not be meant to be shown. There's a reason why they did the original version of the game the way they did, I'll trust the developers on this one.

If this is from Sekai project - you praise them, how awesome are full big detailed backgrounds with whole set of details. If this is fan and free - you see this as downgrade. Just great.

??? You don't get the full backgrounds in the official release, either. They targeted a specific level of detail and went with that level on both versions of the game. Downscaling the image will probably just make it look worse, imo.

??? You don't get the full backgrounds in the official release, either. They targeted a specific level of detail and went with that level on both versions of the game. Downscaling the image will probably just make it look worse, imo.

Seems you do not understand something? They put a full-sized backgrounds in Steam release, cropped for 16:9, obv. What "specific level of detail"? They have absolutely same level of detail, as they are same images we have in current game assets. And who told about downscaling? In that hypothetical patch I planned to have bigger resx, than 800x600. Bigger backgrounds with same resx would look ridiculous.

A lot of the more modern games pack full-sized art assets, that are later software-downscaled within the game to fit into 16:9 HD standard, which became the most commonplace. A lot of games boost large art for panning/zooming purposes. None of the art can be actually considered high resolution, until it's at least 1920x1080 run natively in 1080p. Most games still use 720p with assets that are sometimes a slightly bigger increment to force more crisp art ingame, depending on downscaling algorithms. If anything, most of the games get upscaled to fit 1080p, which results in blury graphics.

If you're talking about running the game in 5:4/4:3 within 16:9, it's still going to get downsampled. 720p vs 1100x900 doesn't sound any different, except for the fact you'll get a lot smaller graphics in overall compared to what they did and it'll definately lose some level of detail in the process.

The issue with Maou is that it wasn't ever made with modern resolution standards in mind. The original art assets were also preety small, which succesfully negates any chances of obtaining crisp looking, high resolution art for use with 1080p. In other words, the artists would have to literally recreate the whole art from scratch using current content. It's a LOT of work, that's why they propably dropped it; it's highly possible the people responsible for it do not even have the access to the original assets anymore, which happens often with games developed many years ago... and results in shitty renewal editions.

Edited by Narcosis