Cross Channel ending discussion (Major spoilers)

MikeY91

(Warning: major spoilers, don't read if you haven't read the VN yet.

Alright, so i am finally done with Cross Channel, i really enjoyed the VN throughout the whole time...

However... the ending is just....terrible....

How do i put this, Cross Channel revolves around mysteries, for example: the weeks repeating and odd characters behaviors, the game makes you feel that you are missing something, and (naturally) you feel that those things will be thoroughly explained whether late in the game or at the ending.

well, WRONG, while many things were indeed explained,but many key things were left to "our imagination" if that makes sense. 

for example, Nanaka, i thought she was a brilliant character, and i was anticipating to find who she really is. but:

Then we find out Nanaka is actually Taichis mother...ummm WTF, (Please correct me if i am wrong)

did you read tower of friends? it actually chances the ending in a very different way, also nanaka was his mother but only in his mind she actually didnt exist and everything else that you are saying you are right so there is nothing to talk about :P

I think the ending was ok, it wasn't what I expected in the first place but it was ok I kinda like it because it wasnt a super happy ending like most vns try to do even if it means to force it, any sad ending is a good ending in my opinion :P

I've seen worst endings than this one, for example muv luv alt or fate stay night heavens feels route.

Well, I'm not too fond of this VN too. But I think this ending is still better than Code Geass'. Wait, that's not a VN, was it? Well, whatever. The point is the creator actually made the story to be so. If you read it more carefully, you'll understand that their world is not "the real world". It's a world created by the protagonist to be his safe haven. But in the process, he dragged several people inside. So the existence of Nanaca in there isn't strange, it's just the feeling hold by a mother who worried about her son. About him being a "monster", you could see the examples of why on Hollywood movies. Even people who in a glimpse look the same as the others, are "monsters" if they are far from being "normal". People tend to be in a normal state, having normal life, normal friends. Then they usually call a person who doesn't fit these normal states, "monster".

In the end, the protagonist decides as a monster, he could only and should live alone in there, and you got the ending.

did you read tower of friends? it actually chances the ending in a very different way, also nanaka was his mother but only in his mind she actually didnt exist and everything else that you are saying you are right so there is nothing to talk about :P

I think the ending was ok, it wasn't what I expected in the first place but it was ok I kinda like it because it wasnt a super happy ending like most vns try to do even if it means to force it, any sad ending is a good ending in my opinion :P

I've seen worst endings than this one, for example muv luv alt or fate stay night heavens feels route.

No I didn't read that, is it related to Cross Channel?

Well maybe I did want a happy ending, the VN was a bit dark so maybe I did wish for a good ending. It's just that the ending was sort of "too ordinary" for me haha

Actually I was expecting all the other characters to somehow save Taichi but I was very disappointed XD

Anyway, I'm reading Swan Song right now, what a masterpiece ! Just amazing so far !You see that's what I hated, the fact that she was "part of his imagination", I think it's a very lazy explanation. Not saying it's unrealistic, just that any VN or movie could use that as an excuse.

I really thought that she was somehow related to the time repetition thing, or that she really had secret powers, but oh well.

It's not a bad VN i just had different expectations.

No, I don't think Nanaca is "a part of his imagination". The first time the protagonist met her, it's clear he didn't know who she was. How coulf the protagonist imagine someone he didn't know about? As I said, Nanaca appeared because she's worried about her son. Her worry is because she left her son without ever being a proper mother, and also because he's repeated so many weeks which ended painfully, but had no recollection about it each time. So she appeared every beginning of the weeks, reminding him of the hokora.

And talking about bad ending, it's inevitable sometimes, mainly in tragedy/conflict stories. It's inevitable just like you can't expect all victims to be alive in a murder story. But a bad ending is a good ending in its own right. Sometimes you can label an ending as both of the good ending or the bad ending, entirely depends on the perspective you see from.

And I don't want to spoil your fun reading, but you can't expect all VNs' stories to be anything like you wish them to be. After all, it's a SCRIPTED story. It's not like you actually CHANGE the story by playing it. The storywriter won't ever finish his/her story if he/she always thinks about satisfying everyone's expectations.

read tower of friends (it is part of the story for cross channel you install it separately) it will change and clarify many things that happened in the story also it kinda changes the ending too, and nanaka was his imagination, taichi doesnt have powers to revive dead persons nor can make them look younger because even if his mother was alive she doesnt have 16-18 years.... he only used the shinto shrine to grant him a wish (the time loop) why is his imagination? she disappears when "she" wants to, she travels long distances in a few seconds kinda like tele-transportation, nobody else can see her, etc, etc

read tower of friends it will change and clyrify many things that happened in the story also it kinda changes the ending too, and nanaka was his imagination, taichi doesnt have powers to revive dead persons nor can make them look younger because even if his mother was alive she doesnt have 16-18 years.... he only used the shinto shrine to grant him a wish (the time loop) why is his imagination? she disappears when "she" wants to, she travels long distances in a few seconds kinda like tele-transportation, nobody else can see her, etc, etc

Just like what Deep Blue-san said. To add, Nanaca was not dragged into the protagonist's world. She was there since the beginning. Its not her real life body there, since she's already dead. It's a feeling left by a worrying mother.

well that can be possible, she is like a "mind" or an "idea" floating around because she really cared about his child but he is imagining everything (about her actually hugging him or talking etc) because she is not something corporeal, even the loop thing is explained by Youko but nobody explained the thing about taichi's mother so in the end it is up to everyone's own interpretation