[CLOSED] The Final Editon of Official Fuwa Anime Club: Revamp Cycle and Fall Seasonal Cycle

Zebhra

Ded.  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Rest in ....

• ..pantsu.
    • ..pasta.
    • ..peperoni.
    • ..peropero.

This poll is closed to new votes

I want you guys' opinion on something, since it's the month of October, I want to make the next cycle a horror special cycle. Now since this is currently the 12th cycle, the next cycle should be a mini movie cycle. So, do you guys want to combine the cycles or keep them separate?

I'd say we keep them separate. Do the movie cycle normally and then watch the horror anime.

I don't know if enough horror anime movie exists. So I'll just opt for anime series with one or two cours.

I'd say we keep them separate. Do the movie cycle normally and then watch the horror anime.

Alright, you can put in recommendations for the mini movie cycle now if you want.

I don't know any other horror movie than Perfect Blue :vinty: 

and I've watched it like 4 times already...someone put something new or else I'll end up watching it for the fifth time. 

It doesn't have to be horror, I decided to keep them separate.

Okay then, I recommend Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki or simply, Wolf Children. Another wonderful work of Mamoru Hosoda.

If you guys haven't recently I'd like to nominate watching Mushishi. It seems pretty damn wonderful, the premise fits in with the whole Halloween shizz (legends/spirits, that kinda thing) and the art looks gorgeous. I'm aware it's fairly well known though, so just ignore me if everyone's seen it and I'm just a slowpoke.

And Wolf Children [2]. Yes.

Done with Shingeki no Bahamut in one go, it was amazing, it's a bit late, but will post my mighty scores in a couple of days :sachi:

Also, yes, it is i am the one who voted for "Children who Chase Lost Voices" google-samas pictures was outstanding and the summary was interesting too :sachi:

Makoto Shinkai produces animations with qualities that are arguably the best in the industry. I can already imagine people giving 10/10 in the animation category. But unfortunately, his skills as a writer falls too short. Movies like Byousoku 5 Centimeter, Dareka no Manazashi and the more recent Kotonoha no Niwa are just amazing to look at. But their writings doesn't stand on its own. It's not extremely bad but not that good either. So you can understand me being skeptical with Children who Chase Lost Voices. Those movies weren't worthy for just the eyegasms for me but I hope this one be at least something if it wins.

EDIT: Dammit bhra! All you had to do was follow the damn thread!

Edited by Redpanda

Makoto Shinkai produces animations with qualities that are arguably the best in the industry. I can already imagine people giving 10/10 in the animation category.

Let us not confuse animation and artistic direction. Shinkai's movie stand out because of their gorgeous computer graphics art, with complex and detailed backgrounds and incredible use of color. This is not animation. Animation is movement. Shinkai's movies are very static (well, especially the early ones since he was doing everything himself), they don't stand out for their animation but rather for their visuals.

This aside, Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo is often said to be the "least Shinkai of the Shinkais" and "Shinkai doing Miyazaki", so I don't think it'll be his usual themes (it's his only film I haven't seen yet >.>).

The other movies just seem drab.  Wolf Children is about daily challenges of half humans, including what appeared to be social services and government, and the Princess and the Pilot I just remembered as Princess in the Plane, seemingly promising to be a war movie involving a princess, except that I get the impression of no actual war.

Only the last one seems to be anything I would call "entertainment", with the other two being social commentary.

Finished Children who Chase Lost Voices.

Story: 7/10

I feel the story could've been way better. At the beginning I was intrigued, very much so. However, after that it all went downhill. First of all, the drama felt so... unnatural.  In fact, a lot of things felt unnatural, like the part where Asuna is kidnapped by the shadow creature thingies, Shin getting mad at Asuna for... some reason. Mimi randomly dying to... something? We don't even know what. Asuna suddenly backing out when they got to the cliff, it just felt like it was trying to do so much, yet failed to deliver.

Characters: 7/10

The characters, like the story, were interesting at first, but just didn't meet my expectations either. They didn't really have much depth, and as said earlier the drama was not great either.

Soundtrack: 7/10

OK I guess, nothing fantastic.

Art: 10/10

If there's anything I can give this movie praise for, it's the art. It's very beautiful.

Enjoyment: 7/10

Overall: 7/10

This wasn't the greatest of movies I've seen, but it wasn't terrible either.

Watched Childeren who Chase Lost Voices yesterday.

Children who Chase Lost Voices was the only Makoto Shinkai movie I hadn't seen before and I turned out to be quite different from what I expected. "Shinkai doing Miyazaki" is pretty apt way of describing it, the beginning especially felt like a Ghibli-movie with the idyllic countryside village and all.  

The characters and plot were fine, nothing amazing, but still enjoyable. They did their part, but lacked little something that would have made them really memorable.

My favorite part of the movie was the land of Agartha. Now that was really cool setting, I liked the mysterious creatures and the otherworldly architecture and landscape. Also the scenery was so beautiful I would love the movie just for that.  

Overall it was a solid good movie.   

I was half-way done writing a complete review when I felt it was against my better judgement to do so. So I thought of something else. This will take a long time and plenty of re-watches but I plan to do it either way.

My opinions about Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo is a bit conflicted. Sometimes I think it was slightly above mediocre. Other times I think I should appreciate more what the movie tried to do regardless of failing but then again, I feel that showing such leniency would harm my overall 'constructive criticism' and would feel very much subjective and personal than one needs to be. I hope these things clears up as time passes.

As for the recommendation, Shiki would be it if it counts as horror that is. Always wanted to watch it but could never find a good incentive. Now would be the time I suppose.

I was listing through all the usual stuff like hellsing and berserk...and then i found a Parasite, i always was interested in series, but never actually had enough resolve to watch it...so my first nomination would be Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7LzsRcGuec )

And my second nomination would be ....uhm.....no...i guess one is enough :sachi: