What would you do if you were in this situation?

Justin579

I was thinking and clannad and this popped up.

Hypothetical let us say you found the women/man of your dreams and you started going out for a while and are both madly in love and are about to marry.

However....

Before that could happen, they told you that they had some horrific disease(like nagisa...) And could be fatal and kill them any time.

They tell you they'd understand if you would want to break up and they'd be fine with it.

Let us leave the small details out about the hospital etc.

I think it would be pretty fucked up to leave her tbh however it would be more fucked up to have her die in 2 years?

There's a chance you might die tomorrow as soon as you step out of the door.

Seems like a poor reason to break up with someone. If you both like each other, you should stay together, it'll be painful when the time comes either way, but at least together you were able to enjoy the remaining time as much as possible.

Breaking up with someone should only (or at least primarily)be considered if you no longer feel any sort of romantic attraction to the person, and assuming this illness doesn't cause any extra secondary effects outside of the certain death (and ignoring the economical factors), chances of you being put off by the person after they're sick are pretty low.

So, someone beautiful, graceful, competent in everything I want them to be, proactive in a non-threatening way and who obeys everything I tell them to? Fuck, I'm not finding someone like that ever again. Yeah, sure, I'll keep them until they die as long as it's not contagious.

I'm a person that has a very hard time connecting with other people, due to various personality flaws. If I found someone that could stomach me and formed a relationship with said person, I would stick to them like glue no matter how little time we had left. Hell, I would probably plan for my suicide on the side to prep me for the day she dies.

Soulless Watcher, on 29 Sept 2015 - 4:04 PM, said:

I'm a person that has a very hard time connecting with other people, due to various personality flaws. If I found someone that could stomach me and formed a relationship with said person, I would stick to them like glue no matter how little time we had left. Hell, I would probably plan for my suicide on the side to prep me for the day she dies.

I'm also in the sinking virgin boat. I never thought of it this way. Sounds like a good idea, just go when she does.

I'm not sure what I would personally do in a Clannad sort of situation. I think it's one of those deals where it's hard to know for sure what you would do unless truly confronted with the situation. With that said, I've always been fascinated by the question of how to value an uncertain length of remaining life. In the future I plan to make it a topic for one of my creative works.

I'm also in the sinking virgin boat. I never thought of it this way. Sounds like a good idea, just go when she does.

I think that would be a bad way to repay that person for the kindnesses they did you. If they really loved you, they would want you to live and to carry on their memory. To think of it from the other side, if you were the one who was going to die early, would you want her to kill herself along with you?

If the answer is "yes," it's probably not love. It's possessiveness.

My biology would tell me to mate for the lulz.  Hopefully the partner would be able to last 9 months for the full carry.  Then after the mother dies, I go hunting again.  That child would be an interesting science experiment of the fragility of humans.  The woman just barely managed to pass on her genes and fulfill her role in society as a child bearer, so why not have some fun with it.

:illya:  :sachi:  :mare:

I hope I just killed the thread.  Then again, Marie's would have done that.  :wahaha:

mjriedstra, on 29 Sept 2015 - 7:13 PM, said:mjriedstra, on 29 Sept 2015 - 7:13 PM, said:mjriedstra, on 29 Sept 2015 - 7:13 PM, said:mjriedstra, on 29 Sept 2015 - 7:13 PM, said:mjriedstra, on 29 Sept 2015 - 7:13 PM, said:mjriedstra, on 29 Sept 2015 - 7:13 PM, said:

I think that would be a bad way to repay that person for the kindnesses they did you. If they really loved you, they would want you to live and to carry on their memory. To think of it from the other side, if you were the one who was going to die early, would you want her to kill herself along with you?

I wouldn't necessarily want her to kill herself, but I wouldn't want to force her to live. I would argue that would show an equal amount of possessiveness. I would want her to make that decision herself, if she wished my thoughts on the matter I would give them. Although, I would never want her to do one or the other simply because I wished it.

mjriedstra, on 29 Sept 2015 - 5:13 PM, said:mjriedstra, on 29 Sept 2015 - 5:13 PM, said:

I'm not sure what I would personally do in a Clannad sort of situation. I think it's one of those deals where it's hard to know for sure what you would do unless truly confronted with the situation. With that said, I've always been fascinated by the question of how to value an uncertain length of remaining life. In the future I plan to make it a topic for one of my creative works.

let me rephrase it..... Some people, probably myself, couldn't live with something as heart breaking as that happening and they would probably go insane and kill themselves regardless? Especially if you had a kid and that died as well.... cough* Ushio cough*. tomoya went into shock after nagisa died and just did nothing but work. and I think he died when Ushio did? I think that is what happened at the end anyway.

I wouldn't necessarily want her to kill herself, but I wouldn't want to force her to live. I would argue that would show an equal amount of possessiveness. I would want her to make that decision herself, if she wished my thoughts on the matter I would give them. Although, I would never want her to do one or the other simply because I wished it.

Each of us will experience the sadness of losing loved ones many times in our lives. Choosing death when it happens is not rational, since if even a moderate portion of us did that each time we grieved, soon there would be no one left.

Wanting your loved one to carry on after you have passed away is not possessiveness; it's logical and necessary at both the individual and societal levels, in order for us as a species to carry on.

mjriedstra, on 29 Sept 2015 - 7:05 PM, said:

Each of us will experience the sadness of losing loved ones many times in our lives. Choosing death when it happens is not rational, since if even a moderate portion of us did that each time we grieved, soon there would be no one left.

Wanting your loved one to carry on after you have passed away is not possessiveness; it's logical and necessary at both the individual and societal levels, in order for us as a species to carry on.

good since the world is already becoming overpopulated.

good since the world is already becoming overpopulated.

The population of nearly every developed country is shrinking if you factor out immigration. Once the third world countries reach a similarly advanced level, it's almost inevitable that the global population will stabilize and then begin to decline, even as the availability of resources vastly increases through technological innovation. When that happens, we'll be popping out designer babies just to keep the species going.

You might think that's a joke, but if you look at the aging crisis in Japan and compare it to other advanced countries like Canada that are only a decade or two from being in the same boat, it's not as funny. Populations are growing in places that can't support more people and shrinking in places that could support many more people.

I'm getting way off topic now, but this was an interesting thread regardless.

mjriedstra, on 29 Sept 2015 - 9:05 PM, said:

Here is the thing I don't care about the human race as a whole, the reasons are many and could fill up a college thesis so I will not even try to list them. I care about individuals, people that I have talked face-to-face on a daily basis (so not many).

Not sure why logic has anything to do with it. Humans do illogical things every day.

mjriedstra, on 29 Sept 2015 - 7:22 PM, said:

The population of nearly every developed country is shrinking if you factor out immigration. Once the third world countries reach a similarly advanced level, it's almost inevitable that the global population will stabilize and then begin to decline, even as the availability of resources vastly increases through technological innovation. When that happens, we'll be popping out designer babies just to keep the species going.

You might think that's a joke, but if you look at the aging crisis in Japan and compare it to other advanced countries like Canada that are only a decade or two from being in the same boat, it's not as funny. Populations are growing in places that can't support more people and shrinking in places that could support many more people.

I'm getting way off topic now, but this was an interesting thread regardless.

yes it is a joke. http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/22/health/worldwide-baby-facts/

houses are popping up everywhere where I live. what happens when there is nowhere left to build houses???????

Sadly I won't be around that long to see the shit hit the fan when the world falls into the chaos of overpopulation. oh well.

http://www.prb.org/publications/datasheets/2014/2014-world-population-data-sheet/data-sheet.aspx

Have a look at the chart describing the average number of births per woman and how much it has declined in every region of the world since 1970.

It takes a ratio of about 2.1 to maintain a steady population. Notice that the two most developed regions in the world, North America and Europe, are both far below that and would have shrinking populations if not for immigration. Asia and Latin America will be dipping below that rate very soon based on the long term trend.

Only Africa is still "healthily above" that hold-steady number, and Africa is the place that can least afford to have tons of babies right now. The chart is completely upside down. The areas of the world that could most afford to support more babies are having by far the fewest. There is an almost perfectly inverse relationship between how rich a region is and how many babies it is having.

I didn't read it all but am I missing something?

"World population is expected to rise from 7.2 billion today to 9.7 billion by 2050, and virtually all this future growth will be concentrated in the world’s less-developed countries, especially in Africa"

I still don't understand what you are trying to say. every day more people get born. the population will never decrease unless some war or plague or something happens. It will never go below 7 billion which we are at I believe.

and doing a google search http://www.livescience.com/16493-people-planet-earth-support.html some by 2050 something we'll be there so it won't be long.

Well, eventually the less developed nations will become more developed nations...... probably after a few more wars and diseases like you said. The less-developed nations will be killing themselves, while the more developed nations will have a popualtion decrease and start fortifying the borders. So as long as you live in a first-world country you don't have to worry about overpopulation and you should become a mechanic since the automated turrets, around the borders, will require alot of maintenance.

Life is short regardless of life threatening conditions, I don't see any reason to abandon them. Sure, you'll be devastated once they finally pass, but just think of the memories you'll have made, and how happy you had made them until their final moments. I can't imagine anything worse than dying alone, with no one there to care.

I don't think that there's a "right" decision on this. Everyone who choose marry/break up has his/her own reasons for the decision. The most important fact people often forget is:

"Death is always lurking behind your back waiting to strike. No one can be sure that they would still live even the next few seconds."

If I were to face this situation and I really love her, I won't hesitate to marry her. It's a hard way of living but life is never easy.

Life is short regardless of life threatening conditions, I don't see any reason to abandon them. Sure, you'll be devastated once they finally pass, but just think of the memories you'll have made, and how happy you had made them until their final moments. I can't imagine anything worse than dying alone, with no one there to care.

Wouldn't it count as that if you marry her, she dies in 2 years and continue on and refuse  to marry someone else?