onomatope*'s lastest title - Kyuuketsuki no Libra - is coming to Steam

Satsuki

I'm of the opposite opinion regarding using the momentum of the Japanese release.  While I can't speak for others, I'm uneasy backing something when I don't know how it will turn out.  

That seems to be the way things work with Kickstarter. Kickstarter is like a patronage system, and in my experience watching kickstarters the more that is known about developers and/or a particular game, the better a kickstarter will potentially do. This is because there will be more confidence in investors. Muv Luv benefitted from people having experience with the game, same with Clannad and Grisaia, people knew what they were getting. If I look at the RPG scene, the greatest investments were given to proven and well-known developers with solid demos and/or detailed plans. 

Because Mikandi Japan is unknown in the West, my view is the more information available about the VN the better. The less is known, the riskier the investment, and the less likely people will take the plunge. That’s just my 3 ¼ gold-painted, lead coins anyway (obviously valuable...)  

Edited by Rooke

As far as I know, majority of Kickstarter are from the so called "unknown" developers, and they are still doing well regardless, so I don't see the problem here. And it seems like you all forgot the fact that you wouldn't lose any money if the Kickstarter ended in a failure, so there is no real "risk" here.
Not to mention the fact the people that can't play the trial in Japanese are also less likely to find out Japanese's rating sites, so even if the game did good in Japan, they wouldn't know.

As far as I know, majority of Kickstarter are from the so called "unknown" developers, and they are still doing well regardless, so I don't see the problem here. And it seems like you all forgot the fact that you wouldn't lose any money if the Kickstarter ended in a failure, so there is no real "risk" here.

The risk is that someone would plop down $50-$200 (or more!) on a funded game they didn't end up liking.  Telling these people "Well Kickstarter isn't for you!" isn't exactly going to help the campaign.

Good luck with the project I will probably back it now that there is an patch confirmed for the censoring content (:

Deep Blue, I like your avatar! Berserk is probably my favorite manga. Enjoyed the anime, too. - (Jon, Internet Lackey)

Berserk is fucking amazing, and Gatsu is probably my fav character :D you sir have good taste.

I know this has nothing to do with the novel but Eternal Maria looks really good, seems like it's going out on 2016( on dvd i guess) any other information about that you can give me?

thanks alot for sharing the faq with us & again, i´m personally very fond of the way you keep on interacting with the masses, almost always responding to questions btw concerns immediately, even to quite negative critism like you previously did on the steam thread of yours in a quite funny way. another big plus for me, was the confirmation of an uncensor patch shortly after announcing the whole project, even before the kickstarter, without beating around the bush. therefore wishing you the very best for your future endeavours, be it the xero partnership, or any other stuff like supporting mangakas by publishing the works of theirs etc. did my best to create as many threads in various german-, hungarian-, srpski-speaking forums & so on to promote your cause of becoming an ero-loving stronghold, due to threating adult content with the needed respect it definitely deserves. sadly you shouldnt have posted that little ks-link for the chibi board game, as i´m now considered utterly broke and me beeing able to back again for libra may take afew days longer, because of recovering financially first - which leads to sincerely praying all the awesome goodies wont be already gone by then.

nevertheless wish you the best & gambare!

edit: the discovery of you also beeing another berserk-fanatic is a real great one - lets hope miura stays healthy, so there wont be any forced hiatus in the nearer future again.
CSWLzcjWwAAlqrl.jpg

DeepBlue,

Thanks for the interest on Eternal Maria. Standby for a reply from James.

XReaper,

You're really kicking butt spreading the word. I guess you already the honorable mention we gave you on Twitter 8)

Producer MOKA-san is most genki about this.

Also this tweet has several screenshots (SFW and NSFW) from the game you should check out. Some are ones you've seen before, but I was surprised to see some of the much naughtier ones, too.

Hi DeepBlue,

Thanks for asking about Eternal Maria.  For me personally, this leads into a very meaningful story.  I could credit where I am today to the director of this film.  We met over 7 years ago, living together in a share house when I first came to Japan.  My Japanese was terrible and his English wasn`t much better, but we both became friends because our background is in the film industry.  We ended up working together to make chakuero videos and from there he saved enough money to shoot Eternal Maria.  It was great fun working with the talent, and very cool to watch AV girls doing drama style movie acting.  That`s a very quick version of course, but I don`t want to go on for too long or hijack the thread lol... and right now I better focus on making "Libra" a success for everyone!  Thanks for your support on that too.  I`ll make sure our twitter updates when the movie is available and in the meantime, enjoy a couple of behind the scenes photos ^^

Cheers,

James

eternal-maria-002.jpgeternal-maria-001.jpgeternal-maria-003.jpg

Edited by MiKandi Japan

Hi DeepBlue,

Thanks for asking about Eternal Maria.  For me personally, this leads into a very meaningful story.  I could credit where I am today to the director of this film.  We met over 7 years ago, living together in a share house when I first came to Japan.  My Japanese was terrible and his English wasn`t much better, but we both became friends because our background is in the film industry.  We ended up working together to make chakuero videos and from there he saved enough money to shoot Eternal Maria.  It was great fun working with the talent, and very cool to watch AV girls doing drama style movie acting.  That`s a very quick version of course, but I don`t want to go on for too long or hijack the thread lol... and right now I better focus on making "Libra" a success for everyone!  Thanks for your support on that too.  I`ll make sure our twitter updates when the movie is available and in the meantime, enjoy a couple of behind the scenes photos ^^

Cheers,

James

eternal-maria-002.jpgeternal-maria-001.jpgeternal-maria-003.jpg

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply my message and show me all those behind the scene pics :) I'm a sucker for good dramas and this one looks really interesting.
I don't use twitter but I do use facebook so I will follow eternal maria there and wait for any news about a release date.

Sorry for derailing this thread so much :P, I also wanna say that this is how a company should treat their public and do business in general. Nothing but respect for you guys, if I wasn't sure of backing or not Kyuuketsu well I'm not anymore.

A pleasure talking to both of you guys James and Jon (sorry if someone else replied to any of the messages :P ) and best of luck with both projects! がんばってよ

I've never seen a company/developer new to the Western market so engaged with its customers and fans. Wish some of these companies I really like werent so arrogant and would follow your example MiKandi Japan.

I've never seen a company/developer new to the Western market so engaged with its customers and fans. Wish some of these companies I really like werent so arrogant and would follow your example MiKandi Japan.

:wub: That's awfully flattering, Cerulean! Thanks for such a huge compliment. XERO and Producer MOKA have been a huge driving force, making it a pleasure for us since the beginning.

So the Prefundia is now live.

http://prefundia.com/projects/view/libra-of-the-vampire-princess-bishoujo-game-english-version/6962/

The initial funding goal is $170k.  That's... a lot.  $85k of that is for translation.  Is translation really going to cost that much?  That's going to be a high barrier for a relatively unknown title from a relatively unknown developer published by a newcomer to the VN scene with no existing fanbase.  If you want this to succeed, I would recommend knocking down that initial funding goal to half that, even if that means incurring an initial loss, and taking a gamble that sales on Steam will make up the difference (or that the Kickstarter will reach $170k anyway).  Think of it as splitting the risk with backers and meeting them halfway.

$40 for a digital copy and $50 for a physical copy seems reasonable.

Edited by sanahtlig

I don't know if 170K is a lot of money or not(i really dont know how expensive is to translate the novel and pay for everything else) but what i do know is that it will be hard for a really not well known company on the west and a new vn to success on a ks with that amount, like sanah said you dont have a solid fanbase here and that's what you need when funding a project of that magnitude.

Also you need to state that the novel has voices because i dont see that anywhere on the profundia page and that's really important, right now it seems that the novels doesnt have any, also the timeline is a little hidden down there, the 60 hours gameplay should be in a more visible place preferably on the top.

"Help us bring "Libra of the Vampire Princess" to the West, a brand new 60+hours bishoujo, fully voiced visual novel game by Japanese studio XERO."

that is if it has voice acting on the english ver 

I don't know if 170K is a lot of money or not(i really dont know how expensive is to translate the novel and pay for everything else) 

MangaGamer's total costs to localize Koihime Musou without voices were under $50k (1000 copies sold x $50 to break even).  I doubt Libra of the Vampire Princess is much longer than that, and Mikandi Japan is asking $85k for the translation alone.

Edited by sanahtlig

I'm pretty sure translators are being paid a little bit more these days than they used to. And if they aren't, they should be, because MangaGamer's wages were downright exploitative and dirty. So I'm okay with them asking for more on that front.

$170k though, that is a TALL order. This is an unknown game from an unknown company (in the west) being brought to us by an upstart localization company. I am very highly skeptical that this can actually reach that goal.

I don't know if 170K is a lot of money or not(i really dont know how expensive is to translate the novel and pay for everything else) 

MangaGamer's total costs to localize Koihime Musou without voices were under $50k (1000 copies sold x $50 to break even).  I doubt Libra of the Vampire Princess is much longer than that, and Mikandi Japan is asking $85k for the translation alone.

that translation was made when? between 2009 and 2012, we are on 2015-2016 now, also giving it to mangagamer will delay the project by a lot 

170k seems like a tall order indeed. I'm not entirely sure about the 85k for the translation, but if they hired a translator from outside the scene, and depending on the exact length of the game, I could see that. Translations are normally a pretty expensive thing.

Still, if there's any way to reduce the initial amount, that would probably be a good idea. I'll be backing the game either way, of course, but I'd really like to see it succeed.