onomatope*'s lastest title - Kyuuketsuki no Libra - is coming to Steam

Satsuki

I not sure if it is possible to gather a team like that but I would love to see one in the future.

I heard some good things about MDZ and Darbury? I dunno, I didn't read it but people thought it was good on Reddit?

Team's like this aren't infallible, indeed Pevear kinda knows conversational Russian, probably not to any meaningful extent for a translator, but even so it enables critiques like this:

A husband-and-wife team, Larissa makes a literal translation as close to word-for-word as possible and then Richard tidies up her copy. (He hasn’t mastered the language himself, not even at a conversational level, which is why I feel comfortable criticizing their work so harshly. I may not know Russian—but neither does Richard Pevear.) ...

They make a worse blunder in the scene where Mrs. Khokhlakov is explaining to Alyosha that Dmitry might opt for a temporary-insanity plea. “Suppose we have a person who’s perfectly sane, and suddenly he’s suffering from diminished responsibility,” is what Avsey has her say. “Come to think of it, who doesn’t suffer from diminished responsibility these days? Don’t you, don’t I? We all do.” P & V translate the crucial phrase as “fit of passion”—“Who isn’t in a fit of passion these days?” That’s readable, but utterly wrong. Elsewhere they have “stupid” where Avsey has “absurd,” “brief” where he has “direct,” and “be healed by you” where he has “be redeemed through you.” (Those three are from the page preceding the famous “Rebellion” chapter, if you would like to check the context.) Gary Saul Morson, a professor of Russian literature at Northwestern, compared this tone-deafness to “someone translating Paradise Lost from English into Russian who had somehow missed that Milton was a Christian.”

The unfinished couplet is about a soldier. The original Russian doesn’t give a translator much to go on: Google Translate renders it “Soldiers will pack carry / And I for him . . . ” P & V make a decent attempt, managing to work in a mild profanity:

The soldier boy will pack his kit
And drag me with him through . . .

But we must concede the superiority of the Avsey version, which, unlike P & V’s, makes me laugh:

The soldier will march to seek his luck
And leave me dying for a . . .

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/01/the-pevearvolokhonsky-hype-machine-and-how-it-could-have-been-stopped-or-at-least-slowed-down

But while they have their weaknesses (no translation will be perfect, and they will ALL be heavily criticised whether they're professional or not) it's still a workable arrangement imo.

I haven't read that novel maybe in the future (i'm not really into charage I need some real drama :P ) so I can't say if his translation is good or bad (mdz's) but I do like darbury's work, I read the cheese parody, the whale blog, etc, all his works are pretty good in my opinion. Maybe we have the team right under our noses and we don't know it yet.:rimu:

Good News Everyone!

Pending approval of Kickstarter, we plan to launch the "Libra of the Vampire Princess" campaign on December 10, 2015.

CVZnvzFWUAIPvqv.jpg

We know you've all been anxiously awaiting this news (we have, too)! All in all, we're at a point where we (MiKandi Japan and XERO) feel the project has reached our target for supporters and momentum. So, the time has come to "put the pedal to the metal" and steamroll through the holiday season to victory!

This is a crucial time, so please stay tuned for more announcements!

Ever thankful for your support,

MiKandi Japan and XERO

PS: If you haven't caught the preview of our campaign, we urge you to stop by our Prefundia page and check out all the goodies! We have quite a few surprises to be revealed on launch day, too. Here we go!

This doesn't look good...

Root Double 120k 30% TL/ED 60% Licensing/Porting 10% KS

vs

Libra 160k 50% TL/ED 20% Development(?) 20% Rewards 10% KS

• Root Double is a 50 hours game, TL+ED will cost them 36k$ and it will be done by Lemnisca, they did good TLs previously, or so community say. [85 EGS]
  • For the whole TLC/Re-TL/QC Muv-Luv wanted 57,5k$. It was supossed to be done by Ixrec/Alternative Projects and some other "experts"  The length of ML/MLA is approx 80 hours [90 EGS]
  • Libra on the other side will need 80k$ for translation, length of the game is approx 20 hours, forgive me if I'm wrong, saw only 2 reviews on EGS listing 12h and 15h. Translation is done by people inside. [70 EGS]

TL;DR

•  Root Double - 50 hours - 36,000$ - 85 EGS Rating
  •  ML/MLA - 80 hours - 57,500$ - 90 EGS Rating
  •  Libra - 20 hours - 80,000$ - 70 EGS Rating(Low amount of votes tho, might be not too accurate)

Would also add Clannad/Grisaia etc. but I don't see a point... I still would like to play Libra and give it a chance, maybe if it'll be on sale on Steam for 20-25$ I'll consider buying it. Good Luck with the Kickstarter. 

Edited by Maxel

The raw script size is somewhat equivalent to that of 40 hour titles like Subahibi, Hoshimemo, and Noble Works, IIRC (they removed that bit from the prefundia but I believe they said it was 2.5mb). So maybe the EGS estimates aren't accurate? Maybe Clephas can clear up the game's length since he has played it.

The Lemnisca guys still have day jobs to support them and are heavily underpaying themselves for their work. Who knows what the situation is at MiKandi Japan. Not every project is the same and not every company is the same, making direct comparisons like this doesn't really prove much.

It doesn't really make a difference to anyone where the funds go as long as project expectations are met--backers typically only care about backer rewards and how they're priced.  That 1.2mil raised by the MLA project is going somewhere unspecified--the stretch goals obviously didn't cost them 900k to implement.  Someone's pocketing the difference.  What matters here is that those projects were willing to make do with less money if they had to.

Whether the initial funding goal is 10k or 200k doesn't really matter to individual backers.  We'll give MiKandi the benefit of the doubt and assume they'll deliver whatever they promise.  It's all a matter of whether the project can actually clear whatever funding goal they set.  The only ones who actually lose out if they set an unreachable goal are the company themselves.

Edited by sanahtlig

vs

• Root Double is a 50 hours game, TL+ED will cost them 36k$ and it will be done by Lemnisca, they did good TLs previously, or so community say. [85 EGS]
  • For the whole TLC/Re-TL/QC Muv-Luv wanted 57,5k$. It was supossed to be done by Ixrec/Alternative Projects and some other "experts"  The length of ML/MLA is approx 80 hours [90 EGS]
  • Libra on the other side will need 80k$ for translation, length of the game is approx 20 hours, forgive me if I'm wrong, saw only 2 reviews on EGS listing 12h and 15h. Translation is done by people inside. [70 EGS]

TL;DR

•  Libra - 20 hours - 80,000$ - 70 EGS Rating(Low amount of votes tho, might be not too accurate)

Would also add Clannad/Grisaia etc. but I don't see a point... I still would like to play Libra and give it a chance, maybe if it'll be on sale on Steam for 20-25$ I'll consider buying it. Good Luck with the Kickstarter. 

Yowza! 20 hours?!?! Erogamespace is mistaken! Libra gameplay, the FULL uncut version, is 60 hours. The Steam version will be 15% shorter than that with the H-scenes removed. We have stated that that version will be around 50 hours. Also, could you please pass us a link where you saw this incorrect information on EGS or elsewhere. Thanks.

UPDATE: We looked at EGS and found what we believe you were referencing for gameplay time. This just means that 2 people played the game for 11-15 hours. Maybe a player chose only one path and sped through the game like crazy, or another played Libra for 11-15 hours, quit, then decided to write a review. In any case, the full game is 60 hours. I suppose we could account for players with superhuman abilities. ;-)

Good News Everyone!

Pending approval of Kickstarter, we plan to launch the "Libra of the Vampire Princess" campaign on December 10, 2015.

You mentioned that you've managed to cut costs a bit.  What's the new initial funding goal?

We'll be making the new, reduced (sodium) budget public next Thursday when we launch. ;-)

Edited by MiKandi Japan

Jesus christ they need to ease up on the female cast numbers. No wonder so many people think VN´s are poorly written horndog fap material.

I mean, I dont really mind female characters, but they should really start thinking about striking some kind of balance.

*squints incredulously*

You realize what the target audience for eroge is... right?

Edited by sanahtlig

Jesus christ they need to ease up on the female cast numbers. No wonder so many people think VN´s are poorly written horndog fap material.

I mean, I dont really mind female characters, but they should really start thinking about striking some kind of balance.

*squints incredulously*

You realize what the target audience for eroge is... right?

Doesn't change the fact that having a strong male cast is pretty awesome. Most of my favorite characters from VNs have been male characters (and not limited to protagonist).

vs

TL;DR

Yowza! 20 hours?!?! Erogamespace is mistaken! Libra gameplay, the FULL uncut version, is 60 hours. The Steam version will be 15% shorter than that with the H-scenes removed. We have stated that that version will be around 50 hours. Also, could you please pass us a link where you saw this incorrect information on EGS or elsewhere. Thanks.

UPDATE: We looked at EGS and found what we believe you were referencing for gameplay time. This just means that 2 people played the game for 11-15 hours. Maybe a player chose only one path and sped through the game like crazy, or another played Libra for 11-15 hours, quit, then decided to write a review. In any case, the full game is 60 hours. I suppose we could account for players with superhuman abilities. ;-)

Good News Everyone!

You mentioned that you've managed to cut costs a bit.  What's the new initial funding goal?

We'll be making the new, reduced (sodium) budget public next Thursday when we launch. ;-)

Wait a second! 10 hours were cut due h-scenes?:o I'm not an expert regarding adult version of these games but that sounds a lot! I thought most h-scenes could be read in a couple of minutes so this strikes me as odd surprising news...

vs

TL;DR

Good News Everyone!

Wait a second! 10 hours were cut due h-scenes?:o I'm not an expert regarding adult version of these games but that sounds a lot! I thought most h-scenes could be read in a couple of minutes so this strikes me as odd surprising news...

I'm guessing these numbers are based on line counts. H-scenes are deceptively long when counted this way, because there are actually a lot of lines in an H-scene, albeit short lines/lines that are skimmed through extremely quickly. To quote an example, mare's route in Eternal Heart is about 5400~ lines, with another 1200~ lines of H-scenes. Based on line counts, nearly 20% of the route is H-scenes. I ctrl-ed through the scenes themselves so I can't say how long it would actually take reading them, but I wouldn't consider cutting the h-scenes as cutting 20% of the route, despite that being the case line count wise. 

vs

TL;DR

Good News Everyone!

I'm guessing these numbers are based on line counts.

8)