Mentorship Program Rework&Recruitment

Hey everyone. I'm glad to announce that we're reviving the Mentorship Program after reworking it a bit. The thread will be divided into two main parts, one talking about the overall changes and one talking about the recruitment process. Feel free to share your thoughts once you're done reading this wall of text.  :sachi:

Rework

Introduction to the Mentorship Program:
New VN players will be able to easily request a player mentor who has some experience playing VNs and is willing to be a friend and contact as they begin this great adventure. The mentor will email/PM an introduction to the new player, talk about the VN player's first game (and, ideally, nerd out with them), suggest follow-up games based on the new player's preferences, and be willing to answer quick questions such as "How do I make my computer Japanese?" or "What is a senpai-sama?".

What was changed with the rework:
How is this different from the original experiment? Well, we tweaked a few stuff here and there.
  • I don't know exactly how many Mentors we had, but I believe starting with too many was a mistake, so we're going to start low and add more with time if needed. For starters, me and Tay thought about going with 5.
  • I'm now the Mentorship Coordinator, meaning I'll be responsible for gathering feedback, redirecting the mentees to their mentors and all that. I'm basically going to be the one doing what Tay would have had to do, giving him some more space to focus on other aspects of the website that need a bit more of his attention. This also ensures a more efficient communication route for everyone, as we all know Tay is a really busy man. You could say that I'm a quality of life bridge.
  • We don't have anything set yet, but I'd like to post an update regarding the project status every now and then, maybe monthly. This would contain feedback from all the involved parties. What the mentors think about how we're doing, what the mentees think about the usefulness of the project, my very own thoughts about the efficiency and progress we achieved compared to the previous update. I highly value communication, not only between the involved, but with the community as well, it's a way to show that we are, in fact, doing what we volunteered to do, and that we're a reliable way to introduce someone to the genre.

Recruitment

Now that I explained what was changed, let's go for the fun part, the recruitment.

Requirements:
  • Played at least 4 of the Starter VNs listed below, and find it enjoyable to talk about them.
  • Capacity to open-mindedly nerd out about visual novels.
  • You need to be nice.  :wafuu:
  • Have some Fuwa exposure: Been a member of Fuwanovel for at least six months and have at least 100 posts.

Starter VNs:
  • Katawa Shoujo
  • Planetarian
  • Narcissu
  • Fate/Stay Night
  • Clannad
  • G-Senjou
  • Steins;Gate
  • Eden*
  • Higurashi
  • Saya no Uta
  • Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

What you'll do as a mentor:
  • You'll get an email/PM with a new mentee's contact information. With that in hands, you'll send that person a PM/email (based on their preferences) introducing yourself, telling a little about your history with VNs, and whatever else you feel fit for a first message.
  • After that, essentially, just be nice and be a friend. Answer their questions, talk about the game they're playing, nerd out with them (Sakura = best girl), offer game suggestions, show them around Fuwa, help them find the next game to try, etc.
  • Make friends!

What changed from before?

• I added a few VNs to the Starter list, and with that, I felt that increasing the minimum amount of read VNs from the list was needed. While some might find some of the additions questionable, I believe lots of people are being introduced to the genre through steam, which makes games available there a bit more valuable. The same goes for short and popular ones such as SnU and for ones with great anime adaptations such as Steins;Gate. I'll probably add more eventually, but that should be a good list for now.
  • I removed the part that said "Not a big time commitment", as that's something entirely up to how your interaction goes and to how many mentees you choose to take. Just keep in mind that as we're trying to have just a few mentors for now, we might have to set a minimum of newcomers each will have to take care of, just not sure how many.
  • I didn't mentioned the Handbook because I'm still to work on it, some small changes will be made and some will be updated, don't worry, you'll have it once it's ready.

Final words

I find the Mentorship Program to be a really great thing we have here, and simply letting it die would be a shame, that's why I decided to talk with Tay and revive it. Interested in being a Mentor? Send me a PM with the following form filled and we'll talk more there. This thread is an announcement and the changes should be discussed here, please don't post your form here nor PM me with your thoughts about the rework, unless you, for whatever reason, really don't want to make them public. 

VNs from the Starter list I've read: (Minimum of 4)

VNDB profile: (Alternately a list of VNs you've played)

• Forum PM: (Standard)
  • E-mail: (Optional)
  • Whatever else:

(Choose a preferred channel among your contact options. We'll use Forum PMs as our Standard channel unless you choose a different one. E-mail is optional but interesting to have.)

Can you read VNs in Jp? (Yes or No; 1 slot is reserved for a JP reader in case of someone who's not exactly a newcomer to the genre but to the untranslated realm wanting some guidance)

How were the starter VNs decided? The reason I'm asking is because I see a lot of titles with really heavy themes or 'feels', but I imagine that some people may want to start with something a bit lighter

I don't know who chose them at first, I just added some titles that I believe people are likely to read, be it from finding them on Steam or by interest after watching the anime counterparts. You can suggest other titles if you want, I'm open to suggestions.

This is the original list:

• Katawa Shoujo
  • Planetarian
  • Narcissu
  • Fate/Stay Night
  • Clannad
  • G-Senjou
  • Sharin no Kuni (original game, not FD)

I don't know who chose them at first, I just added some titles that I believe people are likely to read, be it from finding them on Steam or by interest after watching the anime counterparts. You can suggest other titles if you want, I'm open to suggestions.

• Katawa Shoujo
  • Planetarian
  • Narcissu
  • Fate/Stay Night
  • Clannad
  • G-Senjou

not everyone has money to pay them (unless you o.k with people using illegal downloads), the list seems unfair for honest people or people who have no clue how to download illegal games. there should be some free game for fairness or else this becomes a requirement to have over $100 dollars.

This sounds like an interesting idea.

Not sure if it will be a success or not but I guess it's worth a try.

Oh and please : No Eden* in the starter pack, it feels so out of place when compared to the other ones ^^".

not everyone has money to pay them (unless you o.k with people using illegal downloads), the list seems unfair for honest people or people who have no clue how to download illegal games. there should be some free game for fairness or else this becomes a requirement to have over $100 dollars.

From the handbook:

"Fuwanovel doesn’t support the use of game torrents, but we can’t and don’t seek to control you or your player mentors. We ask you keep any discussion about torrents to private emails/PMs (not on the forums)"

This ain't really about fairness, but qualifications. The VNs on that list are either easily accessible, relatively cheap, or famous - be it by themselves or through different medias, meaning they're some of the most likely titles for newcomers to come across or find interest in. If you haven't read at least a few of those, then there's a good chance that you won't be able to discuss about them properly with the mentees, which lessens the experience we want to provide. 

This sounds like an interesting idea.

Not sure if it will be a success or not but I guess it's worth a try.

Oh and please : No Eden* in the starter pack, it feels so out of place when compared to the other ones ^^".

The original experiment was pretty good as far as I know, I'm not entirely sure about the reasons why it died but I plan on making sure it won't happen again.

I think Eden* is a good name from Steam, it's rated extremely well and the story sounds overall pretty solid. I know it's the odd one out, but I think it's a good title to have there considering what I mentioned just now. I can definitely see a point in what you said though, I might end up removing it later and perhaps adding something else. If you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me. =D

I think Eden* is a good name from Steam, it's rated extremely well and the story sounds overall pretty solid. I know it's the odd one out, but I think it's a good title to have there considering what I mentioned just now. I can definitely see a point in what you said though, I might end up removing it later and perhaps adding something else. If you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me. =D

I that case - and I hate to have to say that - I think Grisaia no Kajitsu is a better option.

For a simple reason, it's a source of many discussions in the community and thus will facilitate integration in the community.

When compared to the massively known Grisaia (In the community) and it's relative popularity (and sometimes unpopularity), Eden* kinda falls short as a way to introduce beginners  to VNs and welcome them as being part of the community.

• Katawa Shoujo
  • Planetarian
  • Narcissu
  • Fate/Stay Night
  • Clannad
  • G-Senjou

Since you mentioned anime counterparts, Rewrite's getting an anime, so that along with Grisaia may be a good choice as well.

Some games with lighter themes, for starters...:

My Girlfriend is the President

Majikoi

To Heart

Other notable games that come to mind are Hoshimemo, and the Da Capo series

Of course, these are just ideas - I'm not suggesting that you should add all of these.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I wrote the original list. I can also neither confirm nor deny that the list was originally tied to a series of articles in the "FuwAcademy" site which wasn't. I can neither confirm nor deny that I agree that the original list is anemic.

What I can confirm, however, would be two things:

• The original program was very highly lauded by the early batches of mentees
  • The VN list was essentially meant to demonstrate that you've played some big name VNs and know the medium. It was pretty much arbitrary.

I gave Rose the handbook I was revising and he's taken it in some brilliant directions. Whatever he sees fit to change is fair game. We shall all fall behind our fearless leader. All hail Rose.

You can add to that list

true remembrance and brass restoration, I think both of them are really suit for a new reader and they are free too :)

2 games from that list are already free, higurachi was on sale many times or came with bundles, I've seen eden* too really really cheap so there are a few games from that list that you can already pay without expending a lot of money or any

I that case - and I hate to have to say that - I think Grisaia no Kajitsu is a better option.

For a simple reason, it's a source of many discussions in the community and thus will facilitate integration in the community.

When compared to the massively known Grisaia (In the community) and it's relative popularity (and sometimes unpopularity), Eden* kinda falls short as a way to introduce beginners  to VNs and welcome them as being part of the community.

Why does it feels like you hate Grisaia? ):

I thought about adding Grisaia, guess I'll just go and add it already. 

Since you mentioned anime counterparts, Rewrite's getting an anime, so that along with Grisaia may be a good choice as well.

Some games with lighter themes, for starters...:

My Girlfriend is the President

Majikoi

To Heart

Other notable games that come to mind are Hoshimemo, and the Da Capo series

Of course, these are just ideas - I'm not suggesting that you should add all of these.

Grisaia is going in, not sure about Rewrite. The anime counterparts is just a general guideline and I won't be adding every single VN that does have an anime, Key would absolutely dominate the list. >.>

I'll make some research regarding To Heart, but Majikoi and My Girlfriend is the President are nice ones, probably adding them as well.

I'll make some research regarding To Heart, but Majikoi and My Girlfriend is the President are nice ones, probably adding them as well.

I think you're missing a 2 after To Heart.

The original isn't to the standard that most vn noobs today would be interested in reading.

I mean, heck, how many people here has read To Heart?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but factoring in the prerogative of the website, "Making Visual Novels popular in the west", shouldn't the VNs be in English? To Heart and 2 aren't in English, or any western language for that matter.

Thanks everyone who's sharing their thoughts here, I appreciate it a lot. Got a few PMs already and I'll be going through them soon, just gonna wait another day or two so more people have the chance to volunteer.  :sachi:

I feel it's heretic not to have Majikoi in a mentorship program. It's such a perfect VN for easing into this world.

I'm also thinking, maybe Sharin might be a tad too heavy for a newcomer?

I haven't read it yet, but I particularly don't think it'll be more than okay at best, just a gut feeling. I can definitely see how it would fit the criteria though. Sharin is there because it's one of those VNs that are kinda old but can still be considered good on technical aspects - such as art and system - when compared to the current VNs. It's also quite famous. 

I think you're missing a 2 after To Heart.

The original isn't to the standard that most vn noobs today would be interested in reading.

I mean, heck, how many people here has read To Heart?

Details, man. Details

I haven't read it yet, but I particularly don't think it'll be more than okay at best, just a gut feeling. I can definitely see how it would fit the criteria though. Sharin is there because it's one of those VNs that are kinda old but can still be considered good on technical aspects - such as art and system - when compared to the current VNs. It's also quite famous. 

I beg to differ. Majikoi was the introductory game for many. It got a lot of people interested in VNs

Hmm, I wonder why LB is not on the list. I don't think it's too hard a game for beginners. I would like to be a mentor, but wait, 

• Have some Fuwa exposure: Been a member of Fuwanovel for at least six months

Oh, I've only been here for 5 months. Guess I'll just continue my work and study.

I beg to differ. Majikoi was the introductory game for many. It got a lot of people interested in VNs

Indeed. What's more, Majikoi was MY introductory VN, so if it's about introductory VNs and we are doing an objective list, I'm kinda shocked Rose is dismissing such a great VN because he has a gut feeling that it's ok at best o.o

I think it's important to insist that I don't think you'll find many VNs better at introducing this world to newcomes than Majikoi, and certainly no better VNs in the comedy/slice of life category.

Indeed. What's more, Majikoi was MY introductory VN, so if it's about introductory VNs and we are doing an objective list, I'm kinda shocked Rose is dismissing such a great VN because he has a gut feeling that it's ok at best o.o

I think it's important to insist that I don't think you'll find many VNs better at introducing this world to newcomes than Majikoi, and certainly no better VNs in the comedy/slice of life category.

Agree. I may not have been introduced to VNs by Majikoi, but I was introduced to fuwanovel by it. It should be obvious how big a following Majikoi has just by looking at the UCW thread. More posts in that one thread than the entire member's lounge combined (last I checked. It was very close though, and the lounge was catching up, so that might have changed. That's still no mean feat though.)

Details, man. Details

The first part was just for I particularly feel about the game, not what I thought about it as part of the list, that's why I said that I could see how it fits the criteria. 

Agree. I may not have been introduced to VNs by Majikoi, but I was introduced to fuwanovel by it. It should be obvious how big a following Majikoi has just by looking at the UCW thread. More posts in that one thread than the entire member's lounge combined (last I checked. It was very close though, and the lounge was catching up, so that might have changed. That's still no mean feat though.)

I believe UCW is mostly spam and chatter than exclusive Majikoi talk, it's not a really good metric. Still, I haven't read the game yet so I don't know if the whole hype train was justified.