Shiny Days discussion thread

SilverLi

JAST finally releases Shiny Days! It is an alternate version/prequel of School Days.

ESkvIQD.jpg

Synopsis from J-List:

The long-awaited sequel to School Days, this is a wonderful continuation of the classic story of love in high school, which includes all your favorite characters from School Days, along with plenty of new faces. A fun game that offers a lighter story and high number of new characters to romance, along with full animation and great uncensored "H" scenes, this is a game that fans will love.

Shiny Days is the "HQ" remake of Summer Days, a spin-off sequel to the original game told from the viewpoint of Setsuna. When Sekai gets sick and asks Setsuna to take over for her at her part-time job, it's the start of something important for Setsuna and Makoto, and for all the School Days characters. It will be a summer no one will forget.

Shiny Days is a massive game with 35+ game endings all brought to you with full motion animation and mosaic-free erotic scenes. In addition to stories with the main game heroines all School Days fans are familiar with, there are many other characters, including minor and side characters from the original game who have well-developed routes now, plus the mothers of several characters and more, all of whom are romanceable characters.

Notable links:

VDNBhttps://vndb.org/v7751

J-List (18+)http://www.jlist.com/product/JAST008 Limited edition

Jbox (digital 18+)http://www.jastusa.com/games-r/shiny-days.html Digital edition

Edit. When I think about it the game isn't officially released until the 30th. The digital keys of the Limited Edition were sent by e-mail. Oh whatever, I am not doing this again.

Well, played a bit. Had 2 crashes in ep1, then like 2-3 crashes in ep2, and decided to stop. Switching between full-screen and window-mode is pretty annoying. And also, isn't route map bugged with "current position"?

Had even a crash when I tried to go back a scene, or was it Runtime error?

Anyway it could be called maybe alpha/beta build, amount of errors/bugs is pretty big. Hope they'll patch it soon.

I crashed the game when I tried to skip the OP before the first chapter, but when I booted it up again it ran smoothly through all of the chapters. So, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be on my end.

Also, whoever makes a walkthrough for this game will be da real MVP.

Seconding the walkthrough request.

No crashes, but I keep running into instances where the skip to next part and skip to next choice function ignore some choices entirely. Didn't realize at first and wound up having to start over completely.

A walkthrough would be quite something for this maze of a game.

Guide dang it.

Your actual standing on the route map should be fine, you can check it after loading a game. Worked for me at least.

At this point I cant even see how the moms are even an option, as they collectively bugger off to france rather early on.

Also, as I see, there are like 2 or 3 overarching routes. The rest is "Setsuna route with surprise buttsecks NTR".

...I wish I was joking.

I'm confused, I thought this was strictly a spin-off of School Days, not a prequel or sequel. What would be the canon ending of Gory D- I mean School Days anyway?

Can someone clear this up, please? I certainly won't try this one out if it has any canon relation/continuity with School Days.

Not even a prequel, more of an alternate universe I guess? Nothing to worry about for hemophobiacs at least.

In the interest of facilitating a community restoration patch, I did a comparison of files between the English and Japanese installs.

The installations are sufficiently different that even if the censorship could be undone by replacing a few files, I wouldn't know which ones to replace.

IIRC There's only one route that was censored and that's because the girl looks too loli to be safe. (at least that's what I've heard)
The uncensor patch release is supposed to be "unofficial" (of course it's not :P)  so there won't be an official announcement after its release.

You'll have to keep looking for it in the coming days.

IIRC There's only one route that was censored and that's because the girl looks too loli to be safe. (at least that's what I've heard)

The uncensor patch release is supposed to be "unofficial" (of course it's not :P)  so there won't be an official announcement after its release.

You'll have to keep looking for it in the coming days.

It's not even about her looking too loli, she is confirmed to be under age in game which makes it impossible for Jast to include her in the official release since that would present them with legal issues in a ton of countries.

I'm thinking of writing a Shiny Days troubleshooting guide for the Fuwazette. If you guys find any solutions to some of the problems going around, I'd like to know. Right now we have the random crashing which can be resolved by being in windowed mode. We have the save issues which is resolved by either installing the game into a non-write-protected directory or running it as admin. There's the crash with the three dialog boxes after selecting a costume that some people on the JAST forums have described, which has no known fix, IIRC. Anyone have any other issues/solutions?

To Sanahtlig, did you figure out if installing .net framework 3.5 made any difference? Seems like it made no difference for the full screen crash but I haven't seen anyone report about the other crash.

edit: this article is going to trigger so many people who hate seeing "game" used to describe VNs

To Sanahtlig, did you figure out if installing .net framework 3.5 made any difference? Seems like it made no difference for the full screen crash but I haven't seen anyone report about the other crash.

I haven't received any feedback that installing .net framework 3.5 helped anyone.  But I don't know how many people tried it either.

For reference, here's Overflow's JP troubleshooting guides:

http://www.0verflow.com/web/shinydaystaikenban

http://www.0verflow.com/web/support

http://www.0verflow.com/SHINYDAYS/faq.swf

Here's an amalgamation of the most useful info, primarily based on the first link.

Problem: The installer hangs midway, or the game freezes while playing.

Solution 1: It's possible security software is interfering with installation and execution of the game.  While installing and playing the game, please disable your security software (McAfee, Norton, Trend Micro).

Solution 2: Updating graphics drivers, DirectX, and Windows (via Windows Update) sometimes helps.

I think someone in the JAST USA thread said that disabling display scaling on high DPI settings (in the executable) helped with the fullscreen mode instability.  That fix also worked for Yumina the Ethereal in Windows 10.

tada~ http://blog.fuwanovel.net/2015/09/shiny-days-troubleshooting-guide/

I haven't received any feedback that installing .net framework 3.5 helped anyone.  But I don't know how many people tried it either.

For reference, here's Overflow's JP troubleshooting guides:

http://www.0verflow.com/web/shinydaystaikenban

http://www.0verflow.com/web/support

http://www.0verflow.com/SHINYDAYS/faq.swf

Here's an amalgamation of the most useful info, primarily based on the first link.

Problem: The installer hangs midway, or the game freezes while playing.

Solution 1: It's possible security software is interfering with installation and execution of the game.  While installing and playing the game, please disable your security software (McAfee, Norton, Trend Micro).

Solution 2: Updating graphics drivers, DirectX, and Windows (via Windows Update) sometimes helps.

I think someone in the JAST USA thread said that disabling display scaling on high DPI settings (in the executable) helped with the fullscreen mode instability.  That fix also worked for Yumina the Ethereal in Windows 10.

Those are all super generic troubleshooting tips that probably don't apply to any specific problems being encountered. It just tells me that 0verflow doesn't know wtf either. 

Those are all super generic troubleshooting tips that probably don't apply to any specific problems being encountered. It just tells me that 0verflow doesn't know wtf either. 

Disabling my antivirus software fixed my install issue with the Japanese version (though only partially--I had to manually move files as well).  They're generic solutions for a reason: they solve problems people frequently encounter.  I might've been able to contribute more to solving these issues, but with the game still censored as it is I haven't even launched the game yet.

But yes, the frequency of issues is alarming.  It's one thing for people having issues to flock to a thread for technical support.  But many of the users in that JAST thread having issues have been there the entire time.  Since others are playing through the game with no serious issues (other than the typical Days series random crashes when skipping scenes), there's likely environment-specific issues that should be circumventable.

It's not even about her looking too loli, she is confirmed to be under age in game which makes it impossible for Jast to include her in the official release since that would present them with legal issues in a ton of countries.

A lot of people are saying this but I'm skeptical. First, they released Little Witch Romanesque completely uncensored 8 months ago. Most of the h-scenes in that game are you taking advantage of little girls.

Second, when someone on the announcement page complained about the censorship JAST's response was that some of the staff had threatened to quit because they personally were offended by it. No mention of legal issues anywhere which would have been the first thing they said if it were true.

What's even more puzzling is that there were no issues at all when they translated the rape, scat, bestiality and dismemberment present in Starless. Granted, some of that content was removed as well but it was because those are extreme fetishes rather than controversy and the patch was bundled with the game.

So apparently in the last 8 months JAST made some questionable personnel changes involving people who are fine with rape but are outraged at consensual sex with a minor.

You are getting the facts wrong. They never said the staff was offended by the content. They said the staff was afraid of legal repercussions. 

Also as for Starless, the patch was not bundled with the game. A restoration patch torrent cropped up on the same day the game shipped. The same thing is probably going to happen for Shiny Days (it hasn't shipped yet).

You are getting the facts wrong. They never said the staff was offended by the content. They said the staff was afraid of legal repercussions. 

Also as for Starless, the patch was not bundled with the game. A restoration patch torrent cropped up on the same day the game shipped. The same thing is probably going to happen for Shiny Days (it hasn't shipped yet).

So how is it that they've released so many games with the same content uncensored? Is the team different for every game?

So how is it that they've released so many games with the same content uncensored? Is the team different for every game?

They haven't released a game where they explicitly state a heroine is underaged. They've always been able to hide behind a degree of ambiguity. Doing so is impossible for Kokoro.

Also different people do tend to translate each game. The translation staff behind Romanesque was completely different from the translation staff behind Shiny Days, for example.

No.  The patch came out several hours before the DIGITAL release.  The boxed edition didn't actually ship until several weeks later.

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/35re0n/starless_100_content_restoration_patch_released/

https://vndb.org/r37542

The incident that had the staff spooked was actually blogged about on Fuwa. I believe a translator was detained and charged for importing a game with a loli in it. A month later the censorship was announced. :/

http://blog.fuwanovel.net/2015/04/danger-importing-erotic-games/

My memory is a bit fuzzy but I think in San Shimai it was stated that the girls were 12/13, at least in the Japanese version. Maybe there were no Canadians translating back then. x3