"It's a Good Day to Die" - Fuwanovel & XCOM

kyrt

This will be the location for the XCOM Enemy Within playthrough I'm doing using Fuwanovel members as soldiers. I'm hoping to have video recording capabilities by XCOM 2 but in the mean time this is going to be a simple little screenshot type of deal. I'm not fully committed yet to the way I'm going to format this so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. In the mean time the first few might be done a few different ways til something works. I'm also going to attempt to figure out a means of recording the videos and may or may not edit them after.

Soldiers sent on missions are determined by a random generator and actions I take in game are based on personality I've been given for specific units. There will be a few times while playing that I will ask for feedback that will be in the XCOM Recruitment thread. This is essentially an xcom role-play with fuwanovel members as soldiers. For those wondering "it's a good day to die" is song and one of the very few decent things from Starship Troopers 3. If anyone actually wants to hear the song an amv was made with it. Anyway time to begin,

Mission 1: Operation Twisted Calm

Still skeptical of the extraterrestrial threat a group of rookies are being sent with a survivor of a previous encounter to investigate rumors of alien abductions in Fukuoka, Japan.

0RimDtul.jpg

The mission is simple: neutralize all hostile targets. 

amv4qMtl.jpg
Here we see Siegfried Paladin calm and collected trying to put the rookies at ease on the way to the missions location.
BYNCoQal.jpg
Jack D. Ripper takes point as they exit the transport. 
MdGIWVPl.jpg
Miles Edgeworth and Jack Ripper take the front while Siegfried Paladin and Shikomizue watch their backs. Edgeworth stops and seems to be contemplating his next step.
YX4lQXul.jpg
Jack Ripper is convinced the best way to draw out the fluoridation scheming aliens is to try and bait them to attack first. Edgeworth a bit concerned decides to stay in the back and assess the situation and help strategically from the back. Paladin finds cover besides a destroyed car and Shikomizue wanting to show up Edgeworth by actually doing something helpful follows Paladin into cover.
9JKnoyfl.jpg
Ripper is the first to spot the aliens and it seems as if they spot him as well and take a shot...but they miss.
HKZjzLjl.jpg
Shikomizue manages to go unnoticed and get the flank on one of the aliens.
8DTubwwl.jpg
Wow what a shot! A critical hit! The other alien seems to go down at the same time Shikomizue just killed two aliens with one bullet. 
UCDreLjl.jpg
The soldiers continue to move and Paladin hiding behind some cover notices a something to his left and takes a shot. It ends up being a hit and the hiding alien goes down.
kPGcDY5l.jpg
The remaining enemy gets upset and tries to kill Paladin but misses. Paladin doesn't take any of it and ends up taking it out.
FjIM565l.jpg
Ripper meanwhile has continued ahead alone without backup and runs into more aliens. The alien is distracted just long enough for Paladin to come in and kill it.
Pqaqw6Gl.jpg
Elsewhere Edgeworth who has been picking up resources notices Ripper missed one and lines up a shot. He hits! The alien refuses to go down though!
ZRfKaxml.jpg
The alien fires at Ripper in retaliation. Ripper is now wounded!
pXkHDb3l.jpg
Ripper in as much pain as he is will take none of it and decides to take revenge into his own hands injured and all. He manages to kill it.
AjSng8Sl.jpg
6 aliens were killed, 0 soldiers lost, and thanks to Edgeworth and Shikomizue they were even able to pick up to alien canisters of meld.
JBJr3iil.jpg
Edgeworth failed to kill a single target whereas Siegfried managed to kill 3, Shikomizue managed to kill 2, and Ripper managed to kill the alien that wounded him. Shikomizue is promoted to a squaddie and is assigned to the assault class whereas Ripper is also promoted to a squaddie and assigned to the heavy class. Edgeworth despite managing to hit enemies failed to kill anything and is unable to be promoted. Shikomizue happily rubs in the fact he has been promoted and Edgeworth hasn't. 
phCZVgql.jpg
The squad successfully stopped the alien abductions in Japan but panic rises in the Americas as a result!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              TSF

Wow, I'm actually surprised at how lucky my character was.

Edgeworth failed to kill a single target whereas Siegfried managed to kill 3, Shikomizue managed to kill 2, and Ripper managed to kill the alien that wounded him. Shikomizue is promoted to a squaddie and is assigned to the assault class whereas Ripper is also promoted to a squaddie and assigned to the heavy class. Edgeworth despite managing to hit enemies failed to kill anything and is unable to be promoted. Shikomizue happily rubs in the fact he has been promoted and Edgeworth hasn't.

Everything is going according to plan. :holo:

Jack Ripper is convinced the best way to draw out the fluoridation scheming aliens is to try and bait them to attack first.

Mah nigga.

Ripper in as much pain as he is will take none of it and decides to take revenge into his own hands injured and all. He manages to kill it.

Mission 2: Operation Bleeding Hawk

An unidentified flying object is seen flying over Nigeria. The XCOM Initiative sends an Interceptor to take it down

jBtkoHdl.jpg

The UFO is successfully taken down and satellites are able to detect movement in the wreckage. It's go time.

vWTLphll.jpg

Funyarinpa selects a team to go down and investigate the crash site.

YMl351il.jpg

The rookies Deep Blue, Funnerific, and Meat_Bun1 need experience facing off against the aliens and Funyarinpa believes them up to the task. 

FlbNTQ3l.jpg

The mission Operation Bleeding Hawk is to take place in Nigeria and the objective is to locate the crashed UFO and sweep the area for surviving crew securing any alien tech that is come across.

Fqwp9mUl.jpg

Blue may be a rookie but she immediately takes point hoping to get into some action. Funnerfic decides to stick close to her while Funyarinpa positions Meat_Bun1 to watch their backs before joining up with Blue. He'd prefer not to get the gun-ho rookie killed on her first mission.

tDqVSGLl.jpg

Upon further movement getting into cover the first alien is spotted and it's not alone! Blue immediately takes a reaction spot upon spotting it not only giving away their positions but also failing to hit the target.

GCxxzDKl.jpg

Meat_Bun1 tries to save the day by taking out the alien before they are noticed only to miss as well. Funyarinpa decides to clean up the mess and successfully takes out one of the Sectoids. It's not over though there is still one left!

Mf3pJf1l.jpg

Funnerfic lines up a shot to hopefully take the alien out before it can retaliate.

H2mk24fl.jpg

She carefully aims at it and manages to take it out! She successfully prevented the situation from getting out of hand due to the the other rookies' blunder. 

dpIdo8Fl.jpg

The team slowly begins moving forward searching for signs of a downed alien ship...Blue and Meat_Bun1 ashamed at nearly costing them the mission keep to the back of Funnerifc and Funyarinpa as they edge closer to what may be the location of the alien craft.

2FWY0VZl.jpg

Funyarinpa notices some alien resources and decides the risk is worth it and moves forward managing to secure not only the alien resources but the location of the crashed ufo as well!

UgSBpTNl.jpg

The rookies not seeing any enemy movement decide to move in closer to the spaceship despite Funyarinpa's attempts to remind them to be cautious. Funyarinpa thinking this is all too easy moves to the back expecting an ambush from behind.

V4N23lAl.jpg

Funnerfic moves a little too close to the spaceship and an alien seems to materialize out of nowhere. Deep Blue hoping to redeem herself attempts to take the enemy out asap...unfortunately this new enemy runs even faster than the previously encountered aliens and manages to dodge with quick reflexes.

zZyxjuil.jpg

This new unidentified alien may have more tricks up its sleeve besides being able to run fast. Funnerific has a shot on the alien but it's not a great one. One of her squad mates is going to be attacked though if she doesn't at least try to take it out so she decides to take a risk.

Bi0QSyel.jpg

The attack seems very unlikely to actually connect but then the alien pokes its head out to lineup a target and gets hit right in the head...Funnerfic's unlikely shot connects and manages to take it out in one hit!

tJiBYGCl.jpg

The team is unsure where further enemies might come from and so Funyarinpa directs Meat_Bun1 to higher ground to scout the area. Funnerfic and Deep Blue keep an eye on a spaceship. Funyarinpa is sure they should have been ambushed by now so continues keeping an eye out behind them.

Rwlbpu5l.jpg

It seems Funyarinpa was right to watch their backs as an alien briefly passes their line of sight...Funyarinpa decides taking the shot is worth the risk and attempts to kill it before it can potentially alert more of its kind.

N0XqEuXl.jpg

He's able to easily hit it showing why he's the one in command of this particular excursion. 

cYIGvPsl.jpg

Knowing that sectoids often come in twos or threes Funyarinpa runs behind further rubble while commanding the others to watch for any further threats. The others do not see anything but Funyarinpa does and more importantly he doesn't think the alien is able to see any of them. He somehow got behind the alien and might be able to take it unawares.

EiiQtXgl.jpg

rzAYRG9l.jpg

He lines up the shot and fires managing to successfully kill the alien before it even knew what hit it.

t7fnCHKl.jpg

At 4:04 pm Nigerian time Operation Bleeding Hawk concluded. 5 aliens were killed 4 sectoids and one new alien which base has decided to call an Outsider. The rookies were able to get important field experience and even though not everyone managed to get a kill they did get important experience facing the aliens so they will know what to expect next time around. 

RM7jYvml.jpg

Funnerfic has been promoted to a Squaddie designation and has decided to take up the class of heavy after being inspired by Funyarinpa during the mission and securing two kills including one against the newly discovered alien. The mission was a resounding success though as no one was injured in the course of duty and everyone came back safely and with experience and information necessary to continue fighting this alien threat. Funnerific in response to being promoted has changed her armor.

Ul7biasl.jpg

Alien Intelligence Reports

Yfx20HDl.jpg

Sectoids are the first alien lifeform encountered and as seen in this recent mission unlikely to be the last. Sectoids have a number of unique characteristics that while they may be somewhat squishy they probably should not be underestimated.

GHzFPX3l.jpg

Little is known about this alien which we first encountered in Operation Bleeding Hawk. It seems humanoid in appearance and seems to move much quicker than the sectoids. Base has given it the name designation of Outsider.

Mission 3's Team Has Been Decided: Zebail Rhaspuint, Siegfried, The Trapezoid, and Turnip Sensei

Actually by type 20 I meant the beret (no glasses). I have Enemy Within but you seem to have more clothes available anyway, why's that?

It probably has to do with having all the dlc which gives a few additional customization options for each of them. I'll be sure to give the character the beret once I finish Mission 3.

At this point I feel like it's some kind of fate that every character with good aim turns out to be a heavy.

It definitely seems to be the fate of all high aim characters in this playthrough thus far. 

Mission 3: Operation Lost Crone

A number of abductions have been reported in France, Argentina, and Egypt. Egypt is believed to be the more dire threat since it's close to XCOM's headquarters...let's hope this was the right decision.

a6W2gh2l.jpg

Siegfried Paladin is to lead the mission after his valiant efforts in Operation Twisted Calm. The team consists of Zebail Rhaspuint, The Trapezoid, and Turnip Sensei.

Em5Egdzl.jpg

The objective in this mission is to neutralize the alien threat and stop the abductions.

Ie2BW35l.jpg

The Operation name Lost Crone feels quite ominous to the rookies going on their first mission.

yUmxEDal.jpg

Upon arriving Trapezoid immediately heads for cover heedless of Paladin's orders to stay together. After taking cover Paladin and Rhaspuint manage to spot a group of sectoids.

GdB6UF0l.jpg

Paladin believes he has a better than the average chance of taking one of the sectoids out and decides to go ahead and take the shot.

epPfr3Vl.jpg

A direct hit! The sectoid explodes into alien bits and pieces while startling the second sectoid and making it scamper off.

sziZIG8l.jpg

Rhaspuint after seeing Paladin take out the alien with no problem decides to try his hand at taking out the second one.

As to be expected of a rookie with no experience he had no chance of making the kill. The sectoid quickly runs west into the dark and out of view.

I89Rd4Xl.jpg

Being cautious to stay in proper cover Rhaspuint, Paladin, and Turnip Sensei inch there way forwards while Trapezoid cowers in the back claiming to be looking for a place to set up his rifle. Paladin hears a noise and quickly hides behind a pillar just as three sectoids are seen. 

2bQXHi8l.jpg

One of the sectoids is standing completely in the open...it's too good a shot to not take!

W9KXxz2l.jpg

It's a critical hit! The sectoid goes down and the two remaining sectoids look around in confusion before escaping further into the night.

uBToRt2l.jpg
Trapezoid failing to 'find' a proper vantage point decides to stay in as much cover as possible while slowly inching his way to the rest of his team.
d06tBe7l.jpg
Paladin inches forward grabbing the alien resources while using them as cover at the same time...he gets an eye on the two aliens. One of them runs inside a building.
44697kKl.jpg
The sectoid that decided not to follow his ally into the building is about to regret it.
hoRMKAll.jpg
Paladin takes the shot and makes the kill quite easily. Now for the sectoid inside the building!
R9TjBxQl.jpg
Turnip Sensei, Rhaspuint, and The Trapezoid takes this time to slowly converge upon the building of the lone sectoid. Rhaspuint made sure to keep an eye out in front of them just in case there were anymore.
hCItq9Bl.jpg
As Turnip Sensei was inching closer to the building another sectoid appeared! He shoots wildly surprised at the appearance of another enemy. He manages to hit and kill it...this also reminds Turnip Sensei to not get cocky and to remain aware of his surroundings.
xmnlJYol.jpg
Paladin and Turnip Sensei stand right outside the door to the building ready to take out the sectoid inside. Rhaspuint stands behind a pillar to the east of the building whereas The Trapezoid is south of the building hiding behind a pillar and keeping an eye on the entire area. He has the backs of his fellow teammates even if he is afraid to go to the front.
NwaJHRrl.jpg
Turnip Sensei bursts opens the door and spots the sectoid hiding behind some machinery...the door on the other side of the room is open and fearing the sectoid's escape outside Turnip Sensei takes a shot!
rRpy5uel.jpg
He is close enough and easily able to kill it. He's been training his accuracy back at the base and is hoping to join the assault class once he gets promoted.
APqk4mJl.jpg
The sectoid is dead and it seems like the mission is now over...but out of the shadows from the other side of the building Paladin sees a lone sectoid run southward.
i0QGIF2l.jpg
Trapezoid on ground level hiding behind a pillar sees the sectoid before anyone else and shoots at it!
RJQtBTxl.jpg
He missed the shot and the sectoid does not seem too happy. Before Trapezoid can run away or fire a second shot it pokes it's head over the wall and fires.
E0DB9dMl.jpg
The sectoid scores a critical hit partially because of its rage and partially because of the advantage of higher ground. Trapezoid is hit and is sent stumbling. He looks down at his chest where he can see his insides...he looks at it in disbelief and utters one thing in a hoarse whisper before life left his body, "Why..why is it always the black guy". 
JshGyLtl.jpg
Before anyone knew what was happening Turnip Sensei the most caring individual anyone had ever met rushed to the other side of the door rage etched on his face. He may not have known Trapezoid long but that was not a reason to not care for his passing.
vVjCVsWl.jpg
Regardless of the potential danger to himself he ran to where the sectoid was celebrating its victory.
k5tGbG4l.jpg
Turnip Sensei lined-up the shot before anyone from xcom or the sectoid was aware had pulled the trigger and didn't stop.
A4hZHTfl.jpg
The sectoid burst into a mass of green blood and guts.
wyyDgmDl.jpg
No other aliens were found and they completed the mission successfully...or at least as successful as something could be when losing one of your own. They had managed to receive both canisters of the alien resource, kill six aliens, and the cost was a single man.
OTyWPZul.jpg
Siegfried Paladin was promoted to Corporal and Turnip Sensei ended up being assigned to the class of Heavy and being promoted to Squaddie for his role in killing 3 of the sectoids. Rhaspuint remained at rookie level but with a new found drive to improve himself. Africa home base of XCOM remained safe but panic spread to Europe and South America as a result of this mission.The Trapezoid would be remembered as the first casualty of the xcom initiative but it would likely not be the last for much more dangerous missions and enemies still laid ahead.

What Happened?

Anyway The Trapezoid should not have died...it was a silly mistake on my part where I lost count of one of the sectoids...if you remember that first sectoid that escaped westward after Rhaspuint missed killing it I believe that was the sectoid that appeared at the end. Unfortunately the entire thing could have been avoided had killing the sectoid not been the last thing I did that turn. A mistake which will hopefully not happen again. Either way shit happens and easy mistakes can get people killed...hope you're looking forward to seeing what type of simple mistake will get the rest of you killed.

edit: That's a lot of images for this one...I actually had to cut it since I reached the limit of images allowed to post in a single post. I admit this one was a bit too much. Welcome to XCOM I guess...missions always go longer and a different way than you expect of them.

• 2 months later...

Mission 4: Operation Fading Sleep

jeZYqWMl.jpg

An Alien Abduction has been spotted in India and they are willing to offer funding for a successful prevention of the abductions in progress. 

Vw32fxxl.jpg

Corporal Paladin will lead a group consisting of Squaddie Funnerific and two rookies with experience Miles Edgeworth and Deep Blue.

AHNK0jhl.jpg

Upon arriving the squad immediately heads for cover having seen what can happen if they don't. They see some meld in the distance...it's probably a trap.

S1mgEP6l.jpg

Deep Blue while not as properly equipped as the others inches closer to the meld only to be spotted by a new alien species. If it were not for the reptilian green skin and the fact they immediately pulled out weapons they may have been mistaken for citizens.

u1wA4v6l.jpg

Deep Blue can see two of the thin aliens but also wants the meld. Thinking its safe enough she heads over to it to collect it. Hopefully the empty metal canister can help protect her if aliens try gunning for her.

3sK1GxFl.jpg

Corporal Paladin not liking the fact the rookie Blue has gone ahead decides to move forward to watch her back. Edgeworth and Funnerific cover their six.

DN7U02Gl.jpg

One of the reptilian-like aliens lines up a shot on Deep Blue...it ends up hitting her but despite being wounded she stays on her feet.

vecvpkIl.jpg

Paladin besides being the team leader is also the medic and heals Deep Blue and recommends she hunkers down and gets in cover to prevent further injury. A good idea as it happens as one of the aliens attempts to finish her off.

JuMO0rel.jpg

Worried for the rookies Paladin moves foward and drops down a smoke grenade to keep everyone in cover. None of them have been able to get a clear shot of the enemy and upon spotting a second meld canister they all worry that there's more enemies waiting for them.

8QeJ0CWl.jpg

The alien noticing that the squad is primarily grouped up throws a poison grenade of sorts and ends up poisoning Corporal Paladin and Edgeworth. Deep Blue takes this chance to move forward.

0H9p5q7l.jpg

While moving forward to take out one of the thin reptilian enemies Deep Blue notices two additional enemies. Two Sectopods are spotted and run into the train. Thankfully Deep Blue manages to hit the thin alien and take it out. There are at least three enemies left within sight though.

3YbdVbDl.jpg

Upon being killed the thin alien bursts into a green cloud it seems the poison grenade may not have been a grenade but simply a projectile from the creature itself. Three enemies remain and then Squaddie Funnerific the heavy for the mission decides to try and take out at least two of the enemies with her rocket. Lining up the shot to not take out the meld canister is a bit tricky but eventually she manages. 

u8FxErMl.jpg

Funnerfic has a beautiful shot and not only takes out two of the aliens but the third one as well since it was mind melded with one of the aliens that died. Scouring the area reports no further hostiles and the squad grabs the meld and ends the mission.

bzyXdpPl.jpg

4 Aliens killed, 0 lives lost, and 2 meld canisters recovered. Operation Fading Sleep was a success. 

YyW597Wl.jpg

Miles Edgeworth and Deep Blue are both promoted to Squaddie and both decide to become Assault classes.

Alien Intelligence Reports

Z2T0oBLl.jpg

The Thin Man is a new alien species that seems to have the ability to spit poison and who look very similar to humans. It is assumed that this might have been an infiltration unit as they look pretty human outside of the almost reptilian skin and eyes. While currently not overly difficult to kill the poison cloud they leave behind on death could be quite dangerous if we're not careful. It is probably best to attack these enemies from afar rather than up close and personal.

I took a break from XCOM when fallout 4 came out and while I'm still playing that and Witcher 3 the recent videos and information released on XCOM 2 have gotten me back in the mood for XCOM. I still plan to go through an entire game (winning or losing) before XCOM 2 is released bu we'll have to see. This particular mission was pretty easy (and designated easy and that's partially because I was hoping to be able to upgrade one of the units so I could get squad size increase but unfortunately that is proving a bit elusive with picking random people each time. Hopefully it doesn't cause me to wipe in the future. I also have to say I was quite impressed with Funnerific this round for taking 3 enemies out at once with a rocket...had that attack not connected I imagine at least one of the four would have died.

Edited by kyrt

Coming Soon: Operation Crimson Flame starring Funyarinpa, Meat_Bun1, Linova A, and Funnerific

Coming Soon: Operation Crimson Dawn starring Deep Blue, Turnip Sensei, Miles Edgeworth, and Linova A. 

Notes: I will be uploading the results of OCF and OCD after everything is good with the forum. OCD is a terror mission so anyone who knows XCOM knows to expect the worst. 

Note 2: If anyone dies in the course of these or any other missions or if you would like a second character let me know...I really need to try and get a sniper.

Edited by kyrt