Some issues while translating a VN (Help needed please)

WinterStar

First off I'd like to say hi, it's my first time posting here. Now onto the main topic, I started working on a Visual Novel, that's currently secret, because I'm not 100% sure if I'll be able to finish it, though if I am, I'd like to do it properly and translate it into something everyone can enjoy. I also figured it'd be some nice experience even if temporary. I am currently working by myself but much later on in time I'll be looking for some people to help out with some play testing and maybe image editors if I don't have the time so please look forward to it!

Now please keep in mind I am a complete newbie to translating VN's and using any software like that. I've managed to extract the scripts and have started translating quite a few hundred lines. I've also learned how to put them back into the game and do some testing but here's the problem. When I test and get to a scene where the background changes, instead the background stays pitch black and there's some slight bugging on the right hand side. The files that contained my scripts were .mjo files and when I unpacked them, it split into .sjs files and .mjs files. The .sjs files contain the scripts and what seem to be like little bookmark things telling the game when to change music, play sounds and change backgrounds. The .mjs files however, I don't know how to open them. I've Googled around and tried out all the tools that TLWiki has on their page but nothing seems to recognize it.

Just for an example, this is what the original line is like and works normally. Also I've been opening the files with Notepad++ to do the editing. Lines 14 and 16 are lines in different backgrounds. Line 15 is where it's supposed to change backgrounds.

<0014> ―――全てを犠牲にして、1つだけを守り通してきた小さな物語だ
<0015> bg_hope32a_ホープタウン
<0016> 世界には『空』と呼ぶものがあったらしい。

Now for my translation, where things go wrong and I get the black screen.
<0014> ―――The small story of a man who put everything at stake, just to protect one thing
<0015> bg_hope32a_ホープタウン
<0016> The world apparently had this thing called the 『Sky』.

Nothing different except well for the English. That's why I'm thinking it has something to do with the .mjs file. Now I was wondering if anyone knew any programs that could open these files and also if someone could help me out with my issue. I'll also mention I'm using AnimED tools for the extracting and importing of archives, with unofficial Majiro tools for the packing and unpacking of the .mjo files. Thanks for your time and help.

Thanks to everyone that posted here. CryingWestern was able to help the problems I was having. Just going to have to be careful as I translate.

I plan to make an announcement once all the files have been translated, then I'll be looking for about 5 testers to test for any bugs or untranslated lines. I'm expecting it to be done by maybe the end of this year as a Christmas comes or maybe sometime in early January or February.  So be looking forward to it!

• 6 years later...