How's the Visual Novel translation/community in your native language?

Rose

My point was, that all the visual novels that are being translated at all, are translated to english. And since the education program of virtually any elementary and high school inscludes english, it is pretty much redundant for people to bother to translate VNs to any other languages than english.

Uh... I don't think people are scared of VNs because they're "kinda like books but with other stuff in it". Besides, I highly doubt books as we know today will ever be substituted by VNs, I can't even begin to imagine something like that happening. Then again, I might have misunderstood what you're on about here.

• 9 months later...
On 21.09.2015 at 8:53 PM, Funyarinpa said:

The Turkish community is borderline nonexistent. I think only 2-3 VNs were ever fully converted to Turkish (and individually so, and IIRC neither were of particular importance), though I think (not sure) that there were some Umineko and Little Busters projects, now dead. 

Me and a friend are thinking of translating Saya no Uta though. :P

I'm the translator and head of the LB! Project, and I assure you, I haven't abandoned the project. The project is still active, I just had to suspend it for a while. The reason why I haven't announced any updates since a year or two, was because:

1)I was also a part of Türkçe-Oyun, a vokuntary Turkish game localization group, and I had to focus on its projects more, because they needed to be released ASAP.

2)School (Of course, not a big deal, or a valid excuse, and no sarcasm intended)

3)I didn't have internet connection at home until 2 weeks ago, so my computer was in my dad's office, which had internet connection. It was hard to work in a stuffy place and the time I could spend in the office was pretty limited. You might ask why I can't work without internet. It's because I look up for explanations of the words that I don't know, and see if there are phrases similar to what I've used for certain lines (to see if my translation is legit or not, in short).

4)I translate at a slow pace when it comes to VNs, and I'm lazy a bit (Of course, it's not a valid excuse either, it's my fault for being an irresponsible person.)

I want to mention that me and 2 friends of mine formed a translation group called BakaYume Fansub, and our main focus is visual novel translation. We translated Planetarian (TL and editing complete, QC/Testing in progress) and we have another project on-hold. I will also keep translating Little Busters! personally.

About Turkish VN community, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni is being translated into Turkish by a few people. Click here to check their website.

1 minute ago, RazoR said:

I'm the translator and head of the LB! Project, and I assure you, I haven't abandoned the project. The project is still active, I just had to suspend it for a while. The reason why I haven't announced any updates since a year or two, was because:

1)I was also a part of Türkçe-Oyun, a vokuntary Turkish game localization group, and I had to focus on its projects more, because they needed to be released ASAP.

2)School (Of course, not a big deal, or a valid excuse, and no sarcasm intended)

3)I didn't have internet connection at home until 2 weeks ago, so my computer was in my dad's office, which had internet connection. It was hard to work in a stuffy place and the time I could spend in the office was pretty limited. You might ask why I can't work without internet. It's because I look up for explanations of the words that I don't know, and see if there are phrases similar to what I've used for certain lines (to see if my translation is legit or not, in short).

4)I translate at a slow pace when it comes to VNs, and I'm lazy a bit (Of course, it's not a valid excuse either, it's my fault for being an irresponsible person.)

I want to mention that me and 2 friends of mine formed a translation group called BakaYume Fansub, and our main focus is visual novel translation. We translated Planetarian (TL and editing complete, QC/Testing in progress) and we have another project on-hold. I will also keep translating Little Busters! personally.

About Turkish VN community, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni is being translated into Turkish by a few people. Click here to check their website.

Thanks so much buddy. This is wonderful!

the Israeli community is almost nonexistent

we don't get visual novel here translated or in English

there are no fanTL at all

people imto anime or manga do read them

but only few and far between [ i am one of them tho]    

Russian translation community seems to be fairly active, most popular VNs have at least a partial patch. I'm not part of any VN-oriented communities but there is 2chan where people discuss VNs sometimes, and probably other sites I don't know about.

I read most of the VNs I've played so far in English though since they only had partial patches. Well, except Everlasting Summer since that was originally in Russian :P

Apparently, you have wrong impressions about russion vn community. It's big, biggest in Europe and growing fast with many dedicated circles of translators and developers. Thanks to renpy there are many good for nothing games 2-4 hours long. And otome's not really a thing, not as large as nukige or 18+ titles. Russion developers made there own commercial visual novels long before all this hype in the west - Red Space and Evgeniy Onegin. Games floped but the fans still alive and active. For this day we have full russion patches for clannad, air, little busters, swan song, yure miru kusuri, ever17, katawa shoujo, kns, and many others I'm too lazy to mention. And majikoi, rewrite, angel beast on their way. Russions don't like spend money on the legal games, don't like censored or expensive staff, but it would be nice if vn localization companies care for such wide community and consider russion language from the start. And I'm not russion but ukrainian, so sorry for mistakes, still learning. By the way, there is none vn in my native language but that's another political sad story.

14 minutes ago, yorikbad said:

Apparently, you have wrong impressions about russion vn community. It's big, biggest in Europe and growing fast with many dedicated circles of translators and developers. Thanks to renpy there are many good for nothing games 2-4 hours long. And otome's not really a thing, not as large as nukige or 18+ titles. Russion developers made there own commercial visual novels long before all this hype in the west - Red Space and Evgeniy Onegin. Games floped but the fans still alive and active. For this day we have full russion patches for clannad, air, little busters, swan song, yure miru kusuri, ever17, katawa shoujo, kns, and many others I'm too lazy to mention. And majikoi, rewrite, angel beast on their way. Russions don't like spend money on the legal games, don't like censored or expensive staff, but it would be nice if vn localization companies care for such wide community and consider russion language from the start. And I'm not russion but ukrainian, so sorry for mistakes, still learning. By the way, there is none vn in my native language but that's another political sad story.

Hmm, I didn't know it was that active. I still haven't read many VNs, so I was judging it by the ones I know, and neither HoshiMemo nor Rewrite have full patches yet; guess I was being a bit ignorant.

And yeah, I doubt most Russians would spend $60 on a game, so I don't know if it would really be profitable to make official releases there.

5 minutes ago, Barktooth said:

Hmm, I didn't know it was that active. I still haven't read many VNs, so I was judging it by the ones I know, and neither HoshiMemo nor Rewrite have full patches yet; guess I was being a bit ignorant.

And yeah, I doubt most Russians would spend $60 on a game, so I don't know if it would really be profitable to make official releases there.

They have regional prices on Steam, not like us. It's just hardcore fans don't like censored games and not ready to pay full price to get games directly from mg or just. 

1 minute ago, yorikbad said:

They have regional prices on Steam, not like us. It's just hardcore fans don't like censored games and not ready to pay full price to get games directly from mg or just. 

Ahh yeah I remember reading about regional prices on Steam, totally forgot about that. Too bad they censor stuff on there :(

11 minutes ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

@Asonn There is actually a Dutch translation group, but they only translate OELVNs

https://vndb.org/v10129 :wahaha:

I'm considering translating Planetarian myself, though I doubt there's really anyone who would both need and appreciate it. 

If you can make it before anime, at least you can get some attention.

I'm still hoping to see Mahoutsukai no Yoru JP to ITA translation completed before any english translation.

1 hour ago, Xykros said:

As far as I know, there aren't any VNs translated to my native language, Filipino. I wouldn't like to see one, though. I would rather not hear "Ako ang buto ng aking espada" (I am the bone of my sword). No, thank you.

LOL that should remain in English, being originally written in English, you don't have to translate it

"Sono l'osso della mia spada."

2 minutes ago, pedropars said:

The VN community here in Brazil is pretty small,however there´s one or two ongoing translation projects and a couple of completely translated visual novels such as Saya no Uta,Planetarian,Shuffle! and Narcissu.

I had a big post talking about our scene as a whole but it disappeared with the rollbacks and bugs :ipb:.

I have no idea if there are anyone translating vns in Filipino. As far as I know, people who read vns are likely to be pretty fluent in English so I don't think anyone's doing that here. Besides, like Tagalog dubbed stuff, people would just think it's weird to read a VN in Filipino. It's weird enough to read bestsellers in Filipino actually.

2 hours ago, Daydreamer97 said:

I have no idea if there are anyone translating vns in Filipino. As far as I know, people who read vns are likely to be pretty fluent in English so I don't think anyone's doing that here. Besides, like Tagalog dubbed stuff, people would just think it's weird to read a VN in Filipino. It's weird enough to read bestsellers in Filipino actually.

Yeah, those Filipino-translated novels that you can see in bookstores are weird enough.

16 hours ago, Daydreamer97 said:

Yeah hearing h-scenes in Tagalog would be freaky/strange for me. 

If I say "Ang laki ng titi mo!" (Your dick is so huge!), I would immediately think of nipples now instead of dick (titi is dick in Tagalog). So it would confuse the shit out of me since I'm like an "Americanized" Filipino girl now. 

At least there is a game translated in Finnish, although it's just a single game

Anyhow, Japanese doesn't translate to Finnish that well and H-scenes in Finnish are pretty atrocious, but on the other hand, manga and other books, subtitled and dubbed media is pretty good, since most of it comes from English or is translated from it