A visual novel with absolutely NO GOOD ENDINGS?

CeruleanGamer

I just finished Saya no Uta and I was surprised there were no satisfying, happily ever after ending. Were there anything else like this? I love very deep and emotional VNs where I am captivated by the reading and not whether "male protag is gonna score big with a certain girl tonight" setting. So are there other visual novels like this where there's no GOOD endings? I overloaded myself with plenty of vanilla VN latelly and I just want something new and refreshing. 

the term you are looking after are so called "utsuges".

This genre is specifically designed to make you cry and not in the classic nakige style of "okay this is bad right now, but dont worry, you know its gonna have a happy ending!".

But in the style of "no, this is not happening and now the story is ending and my heart cant take it, fuck."

I havent actually read a lot of utsuges recently even though I love stuff that doesnt have a "happy end", but what im seeing is that not a lot of them are translated.

the second time you play the novel you can chose a way to save tanomura, so he doesnt get ambushed by takuma in the church (where he blows his head with the shotgun) and he imprisoned him, after that the sun comes out again and I don't rmember if it was hibari or yuka that start planting sunflawers all over the land, nobody dies and they all live happy after that, takuma still in prison but he doesnt want to scape or anything, a pretty cheesy ending but it's the true ending of the novel

Even in most utsuge, there is usually at least one 'normal' ending, though most avoid good endings... and there are generally two types of utsuge.  There are the 'cathartic despair' ones and the 'endlessly depressing' ones...  Saya is closer to the latter type, whereas Konakana and Eden* are the former.

Even in most utsuge, there is usually at least one 'normal' ending, though most avoid good endings... and there are generally two types of utsuge.  There are the 'cathartic despair' ones and the 'endlessly depressing' ones...  Saya is closer to the latter type, whereas Konakana and Eden* are the former.

I guess you can try Remember11? There are shitloads of bad endings in it (impossible to not reach one without a walkthrough), and you actually need to read those bad ends to understand the true end, and this true end in itself is... Very disturbing to be honest. Though, Remember11 is much more story-driven, and kinda leaves aside character development to concentrate on the mystery. Still a good read though, especially if you wanted to take a break from romance centered VNs.

there's a developer that i follow who does these kinds of endings (an expert in that field too). every game he ever made has always make people question themselves and the character.

http://armorgames.com/user/scriptwelder

Oh shit, someone else knows that guy! I should get around to finishing the Deep Sleep project sometime.

I guess you can try Remember11? There are shitloads of bad endings in it (impossible to not reach one without a walkthrough), and you actually need to read those bad ends to understand the true end, and this true end in itself is... Very disturbing to be honest. Though, Remember11 is much more story-driven, and kinda leaves aside character development to concentrate on the mystery. Still a good read though, especially if you wanted to take a break from romance centered VNs.

NOT TO MENTION THAT A THIRD FUCKING ROUTE WAS CUT OFF DUE TO BUDGET CONSTRAINTS WHICH LED TO AN ENDING BAD IN MORE THAN ONE WAYS