Most frustrating anime ever watched

oxczen

As cute as Noel was, she wasn't enough to save the show.

In fact, the show barely pays any attention to her until the later down the line, making her a pointless token character for more than half of the show.

Noel was the only decent character the show had because she actually did something, but since she was surrounded by brain dead people, it was all for naught.

Aldnoah Zero: Jesus what a mess of a anime.

Ego Proxy: I was with it till that final episode. It always had a "philosophical" element, but it also had a coehesive narrative. In the last episode the philosophical element murdered the story and started wearing it's corpse as a body suit.

Sword Art Online: Now don't get me wrong I don't hate it, I just don't understand its' fanbase. To me it felt like every other harem anime with combat capable heroines that pops up every single season, but to everyone else it seems to be the pinnacle of what anime can hope to achieve.

Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta: Why does this anime frustrate me? WHY ARE YOU NOT CUT UP INTO ITTY BITTY PIECES AND IN THIS BAG!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Oreimo.

Great series but

WORST

ENDING

EVER

with the OVAs that were added at the end to complete the story. I made it all the way through enjoying it till the very last 2 episodes only to have that shit dumped on me. So many possible ways they could have ended the series well, but no, they chose that direction...

They had the perfect ending already halfway finished with the romance with Kuroneko but instead they had to appeal to the people with incest fetishes. Clearly that fetish was implied in the title of the show anyway I know, but it wasn't even enjoyable and fulfilling. It was downright depressing and unsatisfying with them breaking it off immediately after getting married. Having done that, it also means that the protagonist would have had zero chance after that with any of the girls that were Kirino's friends and all possible good endings since he effectively shat on all of them (especially Kuroneko).

I can't help but laugh my ass off at this one.  This was one of the worst waifu wars I've ever seen.  I love this series, not because of the series itself, but because the turmoil it created.  What literally drowns it in chocolatey goodness is when people complain about the show and don't realize what kind of drama the author actually went through while writing that ending.

I actually don't ever get frustrated with anime, it's just wholely enjoyable the entire way through.  This thread however is just as enjoyable because of  :salt:  :salt:  :salt:

Waifu wars are standard in pretty much every anime.

I feel like OreImo's downfall was how it attempted to play the harem card, but then picked one of the girls, only to then dump her so they could pick another one, and then proceed to just dump her anyway, making every single fan ragequit.

Personally, I think OreImo is a fun anime, even if not for everything outside of the romantic subplot, there were some legitimately fun friendship moments, and when the romance comes into play, you just have to pray you've taken a liking to Kirino by that time, and then pretend the last 15 seconds of the anime never happened, otherwise you'll just hate life.

Alternatively, don't be a crazy "Y DIDNT MY WAIFU WIN" otaku and enjoy the anime for what it is.

Waifu wars are standard in pretty much every anime.

I feel like OreImo's downfall was how it attempted to play the harem card, but then picked one of the girls, only to then dump her so they could pick another one, and then proceed to just dump her anyway, making every single fan ragequit.

Personally, I think OreImo is a fun anime, even if not for everything outside of the romantic subplot, there were some legitimately fun friendship moments, and when the romance comes into play, you just have to pray you've taken a liking to Kirino by that time, and then pretend the last 15 seconds of the anime never happened, otherwise you'll just hate life.

Alternatively, don't be a crazy "Y DIDNT MY WAIFU WIN" otaku and enjoy the anime for what it is.

You're right about what caused its downfall (the failed harem card).

But to me it wasn't a matter of why didn't my waifu win. It was why didn't anyone win... neither the protagonist nor any of the waifus... I would have been happy with any ending instead of guaranteeing none. As you said the fans ragequit after how he ended it and that included me... Though it was too late by then since it had already finished and undone all the good it had done in the lead up to there.

I can't help but laugh my ass off at this one.  This was one of the worst waifu wars I've ever seen.  I love this series, not because of the series itself, but because the turmoil it created.  What literally drowns it in chocolatey goodness is when people complain about the show and don't realize what kind of drama the author actually went through while writing that ending.

I'm curious what drama you speak of. I know his fans wanted an incest ending so was he trying to cater to them somehow and catered to no one as a result?

I'm not remotely immune from feeling emotion from watching anime as you seem to be. Chocolatey goodness? Maybe if you include scat in your definition of chocolate...

And sorry guys if this has gone into spoiler territory but I tried to keep it contained originally.

I'm curious what drama you speak of. I know his fans wanted an incest ending so was he trying to cater to them somehow and catered to no one as a result?

I'm not remotely immune from feeling emotion from watching anime as you seem to be. Chocolatey goodness? Maybe if you include scat in your definition of chocolate...

And sorry guys if this has gone into spoiler territory but I tried to keep it contained originally.

The short of it is because Kirino became a figurehead for Dengeki Bunko, the publisher put a lot of red tape around what he could actually do to end the series.  Obviously having a figurehead end up in an incestuous relationship would be disastrous, they made him alter the ending. It didn't come off very well in the anime, but in the LN it was pretty clear that he was going to continue the relationship with Kirino.  I'd suggest reading the actual epilogue of the series for evidence.

We always have the visual novel for some comfort as well.

But yeah it really sucks to be in the position the author was in, so I couldn't be too mad after finding out the entire reason behind that ending.

Their newest work Eromanga Sensei might redeem stuff as well, so long as it doesn't get as much attention as OreImo did.

I'm hoping it gets an anime, but at least the source material is pretty fun.

Incestuous endings in anime/LNs/Manga aren't 100% unheard of though, but I guess for a brand like Dengeki it wouldn't be too good.

I don't think it's 100% forbidden, but I'm not 100% sure on how Japan regulates that stuff.

Interesting information... but it doesn't change the fact that as executed, the anime ending was completely FUBAR making it the most frustrating anime I've ever watched. It's funny because I would have been happy without those last 2 episodes, and then even if someone said to me never ever watch the last two episodes, there is no way I could be restrained enough to do so...

Sword Art Online: Now don't get me wrong I don't hate it, I just don't understand its' fanbase. To me it felt like every other harem anime with combat capable heroines that pops up every single season, but to everyone else it seems to be the pinnacle of what anime can hope to achieve.

I think what I liked about it (at least the first season), was the focus on Kirito and Asuna. For all the animes that have some wishy-washy guy that can't make up his mind, it was a breath of fresh air to have those two connect early on and build a close bond. For me it can only be called a harem in the loosest of terms, as he was loyal to Asuna and Asuna alone - not even being involved in those silly "accidents" that typical harems animes make use of.

But I'm a sucker for 1v1 romance, even if cliched - so I can overlook a lot of the flaws~ (except for season 2, screw that garbage :makina:)

I'm in agreement with you on this, but I'd go even further and say the show went downhill before season 2. It went downhill after the first half of season 1 and that is because Asuna was no longer a strong female major character and was just a dependent woman. I think a lot of people were still riding on the high that was the first half of season 1 if they think the whole series was exceptional, for that first part was quite refreshing and well executed.

Kekkai Sensen

I had such high hopes for it, it had fantastic art and animation, the music was superb, the characters were interesting..but then we didn't get any character development, the plot was all over the place (seriously, the plot changes like 6 times over the course of a 13 episode anime, and none of them get resolved), and the anime is on an indefinite hiatus now. Oh, and it had filler episodes..in a 13 episode anime.. Definitely the most disappointing series i've ever seen. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mahou Sensou

Wow. Just wow. It was an OK anime at best, but I kinda liked the characters at least.

And just when the story starts to go somewhere, you get to the end of the season, and then what?

They shove a completely nonsensical ending in your face like "yeah here you go, this is what happened. get it?"

Umm..no..?

I had to do research to barely make sense of it..

They rushed it, compressed it, and gave us no prior information to even try guessing.

Budget problems maybe?

Mahou Sensou

Wow. Just wow. It was an OK anime at best, but I kinda liked the characters at least.

And just when the story starts to go somewhere, you get to the end of the season, and then what?

They shove a completely nonsensical ending in your face like "yeah here you go, this is what happened. get it?"

Umm..no..?

I had to do research to barely make sense of it..

They rushed it, compressed it, and gave us no prior information to even try guessing.

Budget problems maybe?

• 3 weeks later...

any anime where the protagonist doesnt get anywhere with the girl and they are hovering within the friend zone for an eternity. So pretty much 95% of all animes. VNs for the f***ing win.

Edited by CeruleanGamer

any anime where the protagonist doesnt get anywhere with the girl and they are hovering within the friend zone for an eternity. So pretty much 95% of all animes. VNs for the f***ing win.

Absolutely. The only anime I watch with my wife are romantic comedies and yet it's so hard to find one that has meaningful progression and an ending. Even the ones that do have progression are rarely finished. I'm with you on the VN front there, after watching an anime with endless frustration I need to clear my head with a VN route that has an actual ending.

• 4 weeks later...