Japanese government asks universities to close social science and humanities departments

Down

To be fair, most of social science is pretty useless in today's work place.

There's tons of courses in the West that serve basically no purpose, yet they're still being funded, I don't know why it's weird that the Japanese government, considering the crisis it's in, wouldn't want to bet their money on more worthile higher education.

I'm not saying social studies have absolutely no place in the world, they of course do, but they're probably not what Japan needs right now either.

I do think law an economics should be left out of this, that's a pretty silly course to take down.

This is a rather extreme action by the education minister.  Usually policy changes with such far-reaching consequences are conducted more gradually so that any negative effects can be walked back if need be.  Going forward like this so recklessly could have serious repercussions.  They should try this at a small scale first before trying to implement nation-wide reforms.

The reason they're being so abrupt might be because the pressure they're under doesn't allow them such a long time frame to implement these changes more carefully.

I might be wrong though, I'm not that knowledgable on Japan's economy.

They're probably desperate to make their population take on higher education that will benefit their economy as much as possible, which isn't a bad concern to have, Western countries are always promoting the science fields more than anything too, we just have the luxury to still keep funding other, less profitable, courses.

But I also question how willing their people are to accept this change, I don't believe it's reasonable to think they'll just all accept this willy nilly.

To be fair, most of social science is pretty useless in today's work place.

There's tons of courses in the West that serve basically no purpose, yet they're still being funded, I don't know why it's weird that the Japanese government, considering the crisis it's in, wouldn't want to bet their money on more worthile higher education.

Well yeah, that seems to be what the Japanese government's reasoning: they want to form technically able people that will make money and be useful to their nation, while ridding them of such encumbering things as the ability to think or understand how politics, societies and human beings work.

I personally loathe the idea of reducing education to 'what is useful for the work market'. Your future job is not the end goal of your life. The goal of education is to make you a decent and cultivated human being, able to think by himself.

I highly doubt Japan is THAT much in a dire need of money, these departments don't cost nearly as much as scientific departments and their costly equipment. The real reason is probably that Japan is trying to get themselves back an army and are pouring more budget into that instead.

And let's get the Godwin point done with: repressing social sciences and humanities while reinforcing the army is one of the recurrent symptoms of a nascent totalitarian state.

If I read this article correctly, it's basically saying to become a businessman/businesswoman because the economy sucks in Japan right now, and fuck liberal art's courses like languages and other things that make people more universal. Oh wait, I forgot that understanding different languages allows you to conduct business overseas easier, thus allowing you to better benefit society.

Might as well cancel the 2020 Olympics Japan, because fuck. Better revert back to extreme nationalism, because we all know how that played out during WWII.

I personally loathe the idea of reducing education to 'what is useful for the work market'. Your future job is not the end goal of your life. The goal of education is to make you a decent and cultivated human being, able to think by himself.

Except that is not what the education system is about. Overall the Educational system is outdated and promotes a borderline obsolete, and narrow-minded view of education. The only reason it hasn't been completely overhauled is because it's a mammoth task, not that it's actually works in an efficient manner. 

This isn't worth losing sleep over, really.

From a purely pragmatic position I can understand the move, to be honest. If they're struggling to fill their universities due to low birth rate, then a prudent move as far as the government is concerned would be to try to prioritise what is likely to benefit the economic well-being of their country long-term. It doesn't take away from the fact that it majorly sucks, due to the restriction of intellectual capabilities within the country, but I have a certain degree of appreciation for why it's being carried out.

Except that is not what the education system is about. Overall the Educational system is outdated and promotes a borderline obsolete, and narrow-minded view of education. The only reason it hasn't been completely overhauled is because it's a mammoth task, not that it's actually works in an efficient manner. 

This isn't worth losing sleep over, really.

At first look I pretty much went "OMG WHAT ARE THEY DOING", but doing a bit of research, either they never meant to be so stronghanded or they've already backtracked their statement quite a bit.

They said it's not about having less bun-kei and more ri-kei (natural sciences, etc.), but reorganize within the bun-kei to cut those portions of it that are less practical.

Here's a list of all the classifications of studies that fall under the jinbun shakai-kei that is the target of this movement:

http://www.mext.go.jp/b_menu/shingi/gijyutu/gijyutu4/toushin/010703/002/02.htm

Yeah, I know, most of you can't read that.

But as you might imagine, it contains obviously useful stuff like English studies, Business/Marketing, but it also contains a such things which, in my opinion, could probably be cut to some degree without too much damage (like philosophy, and maybe education seeing as there's probably an increasing teacher:student ratio there atm).

If I understand correctly, the intent of the movement is to encourage cutting back on the latter group and increasing funding in the former.

well this could be a trend for other countries, just think about it. how much longer until anyone needs to learn english in high school or AP middle school, english itself is being mixed with new rules that one day the whole taking classes on them could be completely remove. that also goes with music (much many schools have removed) its becoming so difficult to fund something that only results in sounds and not many are willing to pay musicians to that of an sprite artist.

the world is changing people, we just haven't seen it yet.

Also I don't know what to think about this but if there really is not enough people signing up for those classes, I don't see why they should teach it at so many different places. As long as some universities refuse to remove the classes it's okay I guess?

the world is changing people, we just haven't seen it yet.

I'm sure you have seen it with your future-seeing skills though :makina:

From a completely neutral perspective, I'd like to point out that we have to remember just how many disasters have struck Japan in recent years. And since it's an island country, they don't exactly have a lot of wiggle room.

The Fukashima reactors are still a huge technical and financial nightmare they have to contend with - right in their backyard. As well as such events as the massive floodings.

Don't get me wrong, It's rather drastic and heavy-handed, but I can guess at what they are aiming for. They don't exactly have the luxury of time and money.

...That having been said - Crazy Abe sure likes to do controversial things. :makina:

Actually, most of China's military equipment is still old and falling into decay. It's aircraft carrier, a piece of equipment which is incredibly important when projecting force into a country over oceans, is a refurbished old Russian one which is unsuitably for some modern fighter planes. In comparison Japan has a couple of new ones... well, "helicopter carriers" anyway considering aircraft carriers would be considered breaking the very law Abe is currently trying to overturn. Aircraft carriers are needed to project force into another country without landing troops, it's what allowed America to be so dominant as a world police, their aircraft battle groups. Each aircraft battlegroup has more force packed onto that single aircraft than most countries contain in their... well, entire country. They'll then sit that aircraft carrier off the coast of a country, and let rip. The rest of the battle group defends that carrier from enemy attack. And America used to have 11 of them (their scaling back now.) Britain's aircraft carrier is also what was used to attack Argentina in the Falkland's war, except they didn't take enough protection with them and they were very lucky it wasn't sunk. China's is old and limited, and they don't have the ability to defend it if they took it to Japan.

Japan's F-35s (coming to Japan soon) are far superior to anything China has. Japan has missile based protection systems surrounding their territory. Japan has the most powerful air and naval force in all of Asia apart from the USA... which is their close ally. Who will come to their aid, and who supplies them with most of their top of the line equipment.

China is posturing at the moment, because it will be a couple of decades (minimum) before they're at the stage where they can take on Japan. and it probably won't be until at least 2050 before they can risk something with the US.