Ace attorny gets anime

havoc

Sorry it took me a while. I only found out about this today. Also, it's Tiago. Tiago F Varela.

And this is, of course, excellent news. As I don't expect anything out of anime adaptations, Edgeworth and a couple of animations actually animated are more than sufficient for my satisfaction.

Here's a sample/teaser/header thingie, for those who missed it:

3QNXOCK.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I figure that with the release of a 15 second long preview, and a few still shots, it's as good a time as any to revive this and share what little info is known.

The anime is to start airing on April 2nd, Saturdays.

Here's the staff list, for those interested:

Ryuichi Naruhodou (Phoenix Wright) - Yūki Kaji
Mayoi Ayasato (Maya Fey) - Aoi Yūki
Reiji Mitsurugi (Miles Edgeworth) - Masashi Tamaki
Chihiro Ayasato (Mia Fey) - Chie Nakamura
Masashi Yahari (Larry Butz) - Tōru Nara
Keisuke Itonokogiri (Dick Gumshoe) - Masami Iwasaki

Chief Producer: Yuji Kikukawa
Producer: Kouji Nagai
Director: Ayumu Watanabe
Series Composition: Atsuhiro Tomioka
Character Design: Keiko Ota, Kouji Watanabe
Prop Design: Mamoru Sasaki
Art Director: Eiji Iwase
Art Setting: Tsukasa Oohira
Color Planning: Fusako Nakao
Background Director: Ayaka Shimizu
CG Director: Akira Fukuda
Editing: Masaharu Gotou
Audio Director: Katsuyoshi Kobayashi
Music: Kaoru Wada
Original Work / Supervision: Capcom
Animation Production: A-1 Pictures
Series Production: Yomiuri TV & A-1 Pictures

(Credit to Rubia Ryu the Royal for translating the names into a readable alphabet.)

3 hours ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Animation Production: A-1 Pictures
Series Production: Yomiuri TV & A-1 Pictures

(Credit to Rubia Ryu the Royal for translating the names into a readable alphabet.)

Couldn't have gotten much worse.

YFrtVUf.gif

I don't envy those of you who were looking forward to this. Do you see his soul in those dead, dead eyes?  I certainly don't.

Be wary if this gets a fansub or a simulcast peeps. Probably a series for Japanese speakers only.

If the anime relies on the same sort of comedy as the original, and this thing gets a fansub or a 1 day simulcast (whatever it's called, IDK) then people who don't speak Japanese should probably just keep on walking. Unless you are diehard supporters of the series ... like a certain member of this forum who shall remain nameless (though he originates from Varela.)

The game is oft criticised for being over localised, and it does scrub out some content unneeded (perviness and location, etc.) However if we ignore that aspect, the localisation was close to top-drawer to be able to recreate the same sort of quirky and humourous experience in English as was given to the Japanese. Fansubs are unlikely to have the expertise, and translations in general which focus on speed will unlikely have the time, to bring that humour to the English audience in any meaningful way. Especially considering how reliant on puns and wordplay the comedy is. 

So unless it gets a quality localisation, the anime won't be worth watching in English. The game had 4 things going for it - solid and entertaining gameplay, quirky characters, great humour, and solid mysteries which tied together nicely. The anime naturally won't have the gameplay, and without a solid localisation it won't have the humour and possibly not the characters.

So a show to watch only if you know Japanese. Unless it gets a decent localisation, of course. Or unless you're from Varela ...

40 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Be wary if this gets a fansub or a simulcast peeps. Probably a series for Japanese speakers only.

If the anime relies on the same sort of comedy as the original, and this thing gets a fansub or a 1 day simulcast (whatever it's called, IDK) then people who don't speak Japanese should probably just keep on walking. Unless you are diehard supporters of the series ... like a certain member of this forum who shall remain nameless (though he originates from Varela.)

The game is oft criticised for being over localised, and it does scrub out some content unneeded (perviness and location, etc.) However if we ignore that aspect, the localisation was close to top-drawer to be able to recreate the same sort of quirky and humourous experience in English as was given to the Japanese. Fansubs are unlikely to have the expertise, and translations in general which focus on speed will unlikely have the time, to bring that humour to the English audience in any meaningful way. Especially considering how reliant on puns and wordplay the comedy is. 

So unless it gets a quality localisation, the anime won't be worth watching in English. The game had 4 things going for it - solid and entertaining gameplay, quirky characters, great humour, and solid mysteries which tied together nicely. The anime naturally won't have the gameplay, and without a solid localisation it won't have the humour and possibly not the characters.

So a show to watch only if you know Japanese. Unless it gets a decent localisation, of course. Or unless you're from Varela ...

Dont judge a book by its cover.
But then again, a good quality sub or dub is most likely necessary for this series.
But hey it is not like they are speaking Klingon or Baronh either.

Hold It! is the word here!

I'm a fan of the Phoenix Wright games myself, but I can tell this is gonna be like DanganRonpa the animation all over again. You see in murder mystery games such as these you have intros to the characters and possible suspects, investigating the crime scene, collecting evidence, getting to the trial being judged over by either a bald old man or psychotic teddie bear and putting all the pieces of the puzzle together in precise order and finally catching the bad guy. An anime would just rush all that in my opinion. Well I guess seeing Phoenix and the crew in anime style would be nice in a way, but other than that I won't get my hopes up, i've learned my lesson about anime adapted from games.:amane:

Phoenix Wright Forever!!!

2 hours ago, Leaf said:

Hold It! is the word here!

I'm a fan of the Phoenix Wright games myself, but I can tell this is gonna be like DanganRonpa the animation all over again. You see in murder mystery games such as these you have intros to the characters and possible suspects, investigating the crime scene, collecting evidence, getting to the trial being judged over by either a bald old man or psychotic teddie bear and putting all the pieces of the puzzle together in precise order and finally catching the bad guy. An anime would just rush all that in my opinion. Well I guess seeing Phoenix and the crew in anime style would be nice in a way, but other than that I won't get my hopes up, i've learned my lesson about anime adapted from games.:amane:

Phoenix Wright Forever!!!

People seem to hate on DanganRompa's anime. I liked it.
That is, however, because I've already played the game, and all I wanted to see was some animation. I'm sure those who haven't played the game thought it was rubbish.

That said, this is precisely why I'll love this anime no matter how it turns out.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another preview I can't seem to find outside of twitter. It's from AnimeJapan 2016, or somewhere, I don't really know. I can't seem to find it in their website.
https://twitter.com/ao25ume/status/713654680979542016

You might wonder what that music is in the background. From my understanding, it's the OP for this anime, which you can find here, god only knows where they got it (Image/thumbnail is from Ace Attorney 6, the game):

This OP might be incorrect, or total misinformation, but that's fine. It's airing tomorrow, all will be clear then.

Speaking of AnimeJapan 2016, the presentation I referred to earlier, there's some other images you can find in this blog post, by scrolling down.

You might wonder where I'm getting all this information from? Mostly from this dedicated user who has been hunting for information everywhere. Good on him.