Urgent technical help needed with the re-import of my Go Go Nippon translation

ekalz

Hey guys.

I recently translated Go Go Nippon into German to boost the German Visual Novel scene. 

At the beginning I extracted the files using CRASS und dumped the editable .txts with tools from the Data Extraction Thread. While thinking that it would be as easy to reimport the data, I went onto translating images und scripts. Now it's almost finished, and I tried to import the images. 

Well, it didn't work. At all.

The imported .bmp won't be shown. I even removed to file extention so BGI has them exactly as they were originally after the extraction. The game starts but the edited images won't be shown ingame.

The same happens with the translated scripts. The text dumps for the re-import worked fine, but with the custom data01000.arc the game won't start at all.

Thinks I noticed:

- the repacked .arc files are way bigger (about 4x)

- the extracted bmp that weren't edited and re-imported the same way work

- i tried a few tools (ae tools, yu-no arc tools...), all of them with the same results

I am on the verge of contacting mangagamer as my last resort.

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this? I'd hate to let all this work go to waste.

I heard something about mangagamer becoming more supportive of fan translators...

Are they really that cooperative regarding fan translations of their licensed games? I guess at least they would want to have a proof of the translation's quality, don't they?

That's what I did, and it worked with unedited .bmp. However, the moment I edited an image and imported it, the game won't display it. It just stays black/invisible.

Clarificaction:

02000.arc -> rip with CRASS -> bmp files -> remove extension -> reimport -> 02000.arc works

02000.arc -> rip with CRASS -> bmp files -> edit images -> remove extension -> reimport -> 02000.arc doesn't work

I even checked the bit depth...

Update:

Okay, placing the files inside the game folder works. Still I have the same problem: Edited images won't be displayed, but it neither throws an error message. Unedited ones still work. So I guess there must be something wrong with my photoshop settings? You mentioned something about issues with the alpha channel?

Another thing: The scripts files, once extracted and put into the game directory with data01000.arc deleted won't work at all. I would gladly sacrifice the images if we could just get the more important scripts to work.

Some images:

b29e839923.jpg

Edited image files put into the game directory. They work, but edited ones aren't visible. The very few unedited ones still work. 

I didn't want to leave this thread without closure.

Thanks to the awesome help of CryingWestern the problem was solved.

Like mentioned 49328 times, it was the missing alpha channel. I exported all of the photoshopped images again and they work now perfectly.

Scripts:

A few things led to the solution:

- BGI doesn't support umlauts, but thankfully there's an alternative for them (bad/good luck germans)

- the original data01000.arc file needs to stay inside the game directory TOGETHER with the translated raw-script files (those without file extension).

Thanks to that we're able to release in a few weeks. Thanks everyone!