Japanese highschool girl who wants to explore VN community in the west.

Nao_KASUKABE

Hello.

My name is Nao Kasukabe.

Japanese "Dojin" group called "Fruits-Jam" made VN game, "Ona-Ken!” and is trying to

sell it in Steam and other market in the West.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=503649142

However, they donno anything about the VN community outside Japan and cannot speak

English very well.

Unfortunately, you can see their lack of English ability in their game...

So, I am kind of responsible for marketing their game instead of themselves because I can

speak English a little better than them.

And I am also interested in communicating peple across the pacific.

I will plunge myself in this community to know you guys sometimes later.

Please feel free to ask me anything if you have something to tell me or want to know about

Japanese VN.

Also. Fruits-Jam was interviewed with LewdGamer and will be published later.

We are looking forward to listening what you think about the interview,

See you later...

@Nao_kasukabe

Hello.

My name is Nao Kasukabe.

Japanese "Dojin" group called "Fruits-Jam" made VN game, "Ona-Ken!” and is trying to

sell it in Steam and other market in the West.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=503649142

However, they donno anything about the VN community outside Japan and cannot speak

English very well.

Unfortunately, you can see their lack of English ability in their game...

So, I am kind of responsible for marketing their game instead of themselves because I can

speak English a little better than them.

And I am also interested in communicating peple across the pacific.

I will plunge myself in this community to know you guys sometimes later.

Please feel free to ask me anything if you have something to tell me or want to know about

Japanese VN.

Also. Fruits-Jam was interviewed with LewdGamer and will be published later.

We are looking forward to listening what you think about the interview,

See you later...

@Nao_kasukabe

Hi Nao, nice to meet you!

It's nice to see someone from Japan post here on the forums. I'm wondering if you might be interested in a live interview about your thoughts on the VN market in the west and in Japan. From reading your post, you seem to have decent knowledge about the market and would love meeting up for a coffee sometime. I am originally from the United States, but am currently living in the Japanese Tokyo area myself and have been for the past year or so.

Any interest in having a meetup to talk about VNs or just, hell, hang out? Let me know. Feel free to send me a private message or reply in the thread.

OriginalRen

Thank you, thank you for your kind responces...((´^ω^))

I am not sure what I should do first, but I will breafly overview all the threads to know you guys more...((´^ω^))

Hi Nao, nice to meet you!

It's nice to see someone from Japan post here on the forums. I'm wondering if you might be interested in a live interview about your thoughts on the VN market in the west and in Japan. From reading your post, you seem to have decent knowledge about the market and would love meeting up for a coffee sometime. I am originally from the United States, but am currently living in the Japanese Tokyo area myself and have been for the past year or so.

Any interest in having a meetup to talk about VNs or just, hell, hang out? Let me know. Feel free to send me a private message or reply in the thread.

OriginalRen

And OriginalRen-san...unfortunately I am not living in Tokyo.

But, Mr Kobushi and other fruits-jam staff have jobs in Akihabara area, so I will ask them about interview.

Mr Kobushi has been working in eroge indusutry 20 years, so you might find something intresting from taliking 

with you...((´^ω^))

Feel free to follow my twitter and contact me ((´^ω^))

Welcome to the forums. The VN community outside Japan consists of a number of semi-separate groups, this site is mainly frequented by the eroge fans. Otome fans, and developers mainly visit other communities.

The translation of the game would need a bit of work, but that’s understandable - Japanese to English, and English to Japanese, is an incredibly hard process to undergo (the 2 languages are incredibly different.) It’s good to see them acknowledge the issue though. Good luck to FruitsJam, and good luck with your marketing efforts. 

FUWA

Argggh! My eyes! >.<

Thank you again for your warm welcome...((´^ω^))

By the way, "Interview with “Ona-Ken! International” Director Tachikawa Kobushi" is now publicized on LewdGamer site...((´^ω^))

Fruits Jam is just a tiny game developing group and they never had such experience like a interview with public media...((´^ω^))

So please read what they are thinking about publishing 18+ VN outside Japan, and feel free to tell them what you think...((´^ω^))

So I checked the Greenlight page and saw this announcement.

The present sales circumstances
SEPTEMBER 10 - FRUITSJAM
An examination of Valve didn't pass through this game at present by the following reason.

Given the variety in age of users and in worldwide cultural views of adult content, along with Steam's lack of necessary tools for customers to filter out content they don't wish to see, we are still unable to sell or distribute explicit content.

We don't give up. Because a game of the genre other ones resemble is planning to sell it.
You should also be able to sell our game.
Please wait a moment a little more.

Translation:

The current situation
SEPTEMBER 10 - FRUITSJAM
After formal review, Valve has rejected FruitsJam's submission of Ona-Ken! for free distribution on Steam for the following reason.

"Given the variety in age of users and in worldwide cultural views of adult content, along with Steam's lack of necessary tools for customers to filter out content they don't wish to see, we are still unable to sell or distribute explicit content."

We won't give up, as a similar game to our's, Kindred Spirits, is currently planned for distribution on Steam.
If Kindred Spirits is allowed on Steam, we believe you should also be able to download our game.
Please wait a while longer while we appeal this decision.

I linked the LewdGamer interview on the visual novel subreddit, another community of VN players.
https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3krymv/interview_with_fruitsjam_the_company_that_dared/

Welcome to the fuwnovel forum

I assume the DLsite linked at the beginning doesn't offer Paypal as a method of payment?

I think paypal does not allow to use payment for adlut stuff...so paypay can be used for G-rated games in DLsite.com...((´^ω^))

Sorry for inconvinience...((´^ω^))

So I checked the Greenlight page and saw this announcement.

Translation:

Thank you for English-English transration...((´^ω^)) I think this text is written by Mr kobushi via Google transration...((´^ω^))

Welcome to the community, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I think this will be an experience for all of us, I personally would very much like to know what Japanese developers think about the potential market here in the west.

Also, call it shameless self advertising, but we have a vn reading club here on Fuwanovel (of which I am one of the co-leaders) so if you're interested in seeing how we discuss vns here I'd recommend checking it out and even joining in if you're interested. This month we're reading Swan Song.

http://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/11448-vn-reading-club-september-swan-song/

Welcome to the community, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I think this will be an experience for all of us, I personally would very much like to know what Japanese developers think about the potential market here in the west.

Also, call it shameless self advertising, but we have a vn reading club here on Fuwanovel (of which I am one of the co-leaders) so if you're interested in seeing how we discuss vns here I'd recommend checking it out and even joining in if you're interested. This month we're reading Swan Song.

http://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/11448-vn-reading-club-september-swan-song/

Tnank you for telling me about your reading club...sounds different from group transration...anyway, I will check the thread later..((´^ω^))

Your English is better than his, so you should probably be reviewing any English announcements, especially in high-profile spots like Steam.

I will tell him to do so...((´^ω^))

Welcome to the community, I hope you like what you see here and wish you the best of luck with getting your game to sell.

Just curious, but have you guys tried approaching Mangagamer or Sekai Project? I'm mainly asking since both of those companies are working with other doujin groups.

Thank you for asking...Mr kobushi told me they did not know the presence of such companies like JASTUSA...after they upload promotion movie on Steam, JASTUSA contacted them...I donno after that ((´^ω^)) But Mr kobushi is thinking about just asking translation...not including licensing. ((´^ω^))

I think he had answered the same kind of question here .

Please take a time to read if you are interested...((´^ω^))

The Fuwanovel reading club is a pretty niche thing.  Join in if you want to practice your English or something, but I wouldn't consider it useful from a marketing or community engagement perspective.

Here's the companies, communities, and resources you should be familiar with.

Localization companies

JAST USA: The oldest company in the business.  They focus on high-profile professional releases.

MangaGamer: Established as a joint venture by several Japanese eroge companies, they have the highest throughput of the three companies.  They release a variety of visual novels.  They try to offer something for everyone.

Sekai Project: A startup that's managed to grow really fast.  Their focus is non-adult and doujin titles.

Communities

Fuwanovel: A site dedicated to creating a friendly environment for new and veteran players to discuss VNs.  They have an official blog that maintains a translation status log of VN projects, including fan translations and official releases.

Visual novel subreddit: A subsection of the news site Reddit dedicated to visual novel news and discussion.  News and discussion tends to focus on non-adult titles and story-focused eroge.

HongFire: A large site that spans the full range of anime culture.  The Hentai game section focuses on titles with gameplay and sex simulators.  This community likely has the strongest overlap with the DLsite customer base.

Others: There's probably other major or minor communities I don't participate in or that I don't feel are relevant.

News

LewdGamer: A startup site dedicated to eroge news.

Resources

VNDB: The definitive English resource for information on visual novels.  Also has message boards that get a lot more traffic than it would appear from the number of responses.

Edit: The LewdGamer interview with FruitsJam is fantastic.  I recommend that everyone vaguely interested in FruitsJam read it.  I helped come up with the questions, but the Director gave some very informative responses--the answers were far more insightful than I had expected.  Nao should link the interview in the OP.