Desert Island Anime (Anime you can't live without)

ExtraMana

I'm starting University in a week and a half and want to legally acquire *wink wink* as much quality anime before I go since

I want to be an upstanding citizen during term time. I have crunchyroll so a lot of current stuff I get anyway via streaming.

I have to get a tonne of anime to last me for the term, anything from classic to recent (that crunchyroll doesn't have) what would

you recommend I get.

Favourite genres: Mecha, action, police, slice of life, comedy.

Giant Robo, Patlabor, GaoGaiGar + FINAL, Shin Mazinger Z, Nadesico, Knights of Sidonia, MD Geist, SDF Macross, Mobile Suit Gundam, Tetsujin 28 Go(2004), Gunbuster, Space Runaway Ideon(movies), Godannar, Madox 01, New Getter Robo, Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo, Getter Robo Armageddon, Space Adventure Cobra, Overman King Gainer, Full Metal Panic, Bubblegum Crisis, and Gaiking.

It's pretty much all mecha.

Jormungand is cool, I guess. Good characters and backstories, but the main plot is pretty stupid and lacks good conflict, buildup, and the like. The main character also feels mary sue-ish as she always wins. It explores a few messed-up minds, but not to the extent of Black Lagoon. It's disappointing if you're expecting Black Lagoon, maybe disappointing in general.

Psycho-Pass is interesting. Interesting plot, characters, and generally skillful. It just isn't explored as much as I would've liked it to be. I liked it, but was never wowed.

Baccano's my personal favorite among the recommendations for Black Lagoon. It's about messed-up characters, but despite the over-the-top violence it's fun and happy. Most of the fun comes from it's non-linear storytelling method though, so it's best you marathon it to not get confused. It's simply a blast to watch.

On personal notes, my favorite animes are Utena, Penguindrum, and Shin Sekai Yori. For the former 2, if you like surrealism then go for it. Otherwise, it could be interesting or bad to you.

The latter is a good, interesting, psychological horror with an amazing lore and ending. However, it is extremely slow-paced and at times, stressful. Not really one to watch to be entertained.