Site Work: Fri 9/4

Spending most of today and tomorrow on the site! I'll be posting updates here as I go -- that way you can sit back and watch the trail of destruction which inevitably follows.

Contacting Me today:
  • If you need to get a hold of me, Skype is probably the most sure-fire way today: ArchmageTay
  • My PM inbox is a black hole at the moment. Not recommended until tomorrow when I finish going through it.
  • Email is fine: [email protected] or [email protected]
  • I'll get on the forums chat apps from time to time
  • If needed I don't mind re-downloading TeamSpeak

First order of business: I'm working on re-adding the Reviews Hub features and sources we lost in the rollback

Update: Got the Reviews Hub code fixed. YAAAAAAY. I got Otaku Aniverse back up as well, but the other sources we lost in the rollback(s) will need to be re-negotiated since we were using some fancy RSS stuff.

Guys, I think I saw an asteroid that was headed our way

< 3

EDIT:

9/4 WAS AN INSIDE JOB

I laughed so hard.

Update (~2:05PM): Ran into a small snag -- having trouble connecting into the site (back-end, not front-facing site). Going to put the forums software to-do items aside (listed below) until I can get some guidance from Nay.

Forums "stuff" on hold:

• Software updates
  • Dedicated "Donation" app which will make forums goodies/management automatic
  • Some blogs stuff to test

Will you look at Skype as well? I feel too lazy to re-type short messages, but if I have to... (importance level 2/5)

Got it.

Update (4:16PM):

• Got Twitter auto-posting working for both the blog and Reviews Hub
  • Finished tweaking Reviews Hub code
  • Updated a billion plugins
  • Did my research about IPB 4
  • Lots of discussion with the blog team
  • Got email lists set up for the blog team, and did the technical-side for the reviews team's email list

Update (9:49 PM):

• VNTS is written!
  • Wrote up my take of the review hub overhaul action program and where I see the rate-limiting blocks
  • Good discussions with Blog and Reviews team folks
  • Got the reviews email net set up
  • Listed to a crap ton of Pat Metheny and really enjoyed it
  • At one point I listed to the Beatles. I think.
  • Forgot to eat dinner. Going to go do that next before doing some Reviews Hub work

Update (1:09 AM):

• Fixed a typo in the Reviews Hub code which caused mass chaos (it made links to original sources look wrong)
  • Overhauled the Reviews Hub "Find a Review" page
  • Decided Rooke is, indeed, the devil and I must stand strong against his fiery darts (read: I'm going to stick with tags = game titles on the Reviews Hub, but change the way the software searches and displays tags)
  • Came up with two blog-based options for the articles site project which I'll need to share with maef
  • Still having trouble connecting to the site which is limiting my ability to work on stuff like ^. Someday Nayleen will come and rescue me...
  • One idea for the articles project was to use forum software and custom CSS, but unfortunately the pages/content plugin seems to be broken. I think I'll need to uninstall/reinstall it with the update
  • Did a little more research into IPB 4 and dreamed of one day prancing in its fields
  • Fixed some errors in VNTS
  • Bugged Zaka
  • Talked to Decay, had him look over VNTS
  • Gave one of my cats a lot of chin-scratches because it was either that or have my keyboard become his bed
  • Slowing down a bit, as it's getting late. And by late I mean middle of the night.

These posts are meant to help increase transparency as I'm working on this crap. Hope they've been helpful to someone!