Daiteikoku Translation Project

ArtresLayfon

Daiteikoku Translation Project

df863f3f1d1336ed74378d370fffeaa7.jpg

Introduction

Hey guys! Currently myself (ArtresLayfon), and Lost were working on a Daiteikoku English patch, considering the last patch had been dead without progress, though for now this project is suspended until a official release or until it is pretty much certain that Daiteikoku will not be translated (at which point we may pick it back up).

Progress

After conversing with Arunaru (a translator at MangaGamer), we have established that it is highly likely that Daiteikoku will get an official release in English within the future and this translation would be rendered obsolete. This project has been suspended until further notice.

Visual Novel

Daiteikoku, literally meaning "big empire," is the third game in the series consisting of Daiakuji and Daibanchou. It is a space-themed parody of World War II.

Recruitment

The project is currently suspended.

Staff/Team Members

Our team consist of:

• Artres (Project Leader and Translator)
  • Lost/逸れた (Translator)

You should probably be made aware of Arunaru's response.  He's currently translating Beat Blades Haruka for MangaGamer, and he's fan-translated games from the Rance series.

https://twitter.com/Aru_Naru/status/640702306242039808

I tend to agree with him.  My first impression is that there's a very high probability AliceSoft will C&D this project if it gets anywhere.

In any case, this is a guy who reluctantly stalled his almost finished Rance VI translation to work on a game he clearly doesn't want to work on (Beat Blades Haruka).  If he says this is a bad idea, it probably is.

You should probably be made aware of Arunaru's response.  He's currently translating Beat Blades Haruka for MangaGamer, and he's fan-translated games from the Rance series.

https://twitter.com/Aru_Naru/status/640702306242039808

I tend to agree with him.  My first impression is that there's a very high probability AliceSoft will C&D this project if it gets anywhere.

In any case, this is a guy who reluctantly stalled his almost finished Rance VI translation to work on a game he clearly doesn't want to work on (Beat Blades Haruka).  If he says this is a bad idea, it probably is.

That's nosense. If he doesn't want to work on it then he doesn't have to. That's like: 

"I had to drop my translation project of a game I like because MG asked me to. But no problem, now I am working on a project I hate for them because I am Maso.".

I don't think that kind of guy can give any advice, even if I know he may be right about C&D.

That's nosense. If he doesn't want to work on it then he doesn't have to. That's like: 

"I had to drop my translation project of a game I like because MG asked me to. But no problem, now I am working on a project I hate for them because I am Maso.".

I don't think that kind of guy can give any advice, even if I know he may be right about C&D.

Setting aside whether it makes sense for him to have moved to a project he doesn't like because the one he wanted to do got nixed, I do think that it would be a shame to sink a ton of effort into Daiteikoku if there's a solid chance it will get the same treatment down the road.

How likely that is I can't say, but several people with industry knowledge seem to think there's a high probability.

Regardless of how it happens, I really hope we see a translated version of this someday. We're sorely lacking in VNs with strong gameplay elements.

Yeah, I can understand if some people are dissatisfied with myself and others re-starting a translation of Daiteikoku after Alicesoft signed with MangaGamer yet the reason I'm going through the effort of continuing this translation is because it's highly unlikely that Daiteikoku is going to get translated by MangaGamer due to its large size (game-wise) and huge script.

I have only thought of doing this due to that reason and because I think it isn't unreasonable to let people play a game that isn't going to even get an official release in English. It's not like any profit is going to be lost but I am open to any criticisms.

Yeah, I can understand if some people are dissatisfied with myself and others re-starting a translation of Daiteikoku after Alicesoft signed with MangaGamer yet the reason I'm going through the effort of continuing this translation is because it's highly unlikely that Daiteikoku is going to get translated by MangaGamer due to its largely unprofitable size (game-wise) and huge script.

I have only thought of doing this due to that reason and because I think it isn't unreasonable to let people play a game that isn't going to even get an official release in English. It's not like any profit is going to be lost but I am open to any criticisms.

I see, it would seem I have offended you in some way, I do apologize for that but if you are going to criticize my post, do give a reason why you think Daiteikoku would be profitable to MG and would be translated by them over other Alicesoft games. It is fine to criticize but if you are going to you should provide a serious reason instead of just telling me to not waste my time.

? Do you need me to explain that the size of the script doesn't have that much of an effect on profit and "largely unprofitable size (game-wise)" is a completely nonsensical statement? I know you want to justify your shit but come on dude. If you want to try translating a game, there's plenty out there, particularly much older games, that probably won't get localized officially. Daiteikoku, not so much.

I can understand after looking back at that, it doesn't make too much sense but the large script affects the probability MG will translate it as they would need to put more time into it compared your average Alicesoft game to produce a full English copy, that would mean they would need to consider how profitable the game would be to translate in the first place in place of a smaller, easier to translate game which could be just as profitable to translate if not more profitable, please do take this into account.

Look, I'm the translator on the Alicesoft game MG is currently working on and we've discussed localizing their other games plenty, this isn't random speculation from me. The game we're currently working on has one of their biggest scripts too. That's not something that needs much consideration. I'm telling you this now because it's just going to be a pain for you and everyone else if you carry on and action has to be taken.

Look, I'm the translator on the Alicesoft game MG is currently working on and we've discussed localizing their other games plenty, this isn't random speculation from me. The game we're currently working on has one of their biggest scripts too. That's not something that needs much consideration. I'm telling you this now because it's just going to be a pain for you and everyone else if you carry on and action has to be taken.

Oh, I see, then as a translator at MG, what do you think the chances that Daiteikoku will be translated (preferably a percentage)?