Does Adult Content in localized VNs affect your purchase decisions?

sanahtlig

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you choose NOT to buy a localized VN for any of the following reasons related to adult content (assuming the game otherwise has merit)?

• The localized game is 18+ and has had mosaics removed.
    • The localized game is 18+ and has mosaics.
    • The original game has multiple versions. The all-ages version was localized.
    • The original game is 18+. The localized game is all-ages.
    • The original game is all-ages. The localized game is all-ages.
    • None of the above affect my purchasing decisions to any significant extent. If the game is good and the price is right, I'll buy it.

This poll is closed to new votes

Would you choose NOT to buy a localized VN for any of the reasons listed above related to adult content (assuming the game otherwise has merit)? Choices should significantly affect your purchase decision, but need not be the single critical factor. This poll is limited to those that purchase localized VNs.

Would you choose NOT to buy a localized VN for any of the reasons listed above related to adult content (assuming the game otherwise has merit)? Choices should significantly affect your purchase decision, but need not be the single critical factor. This poll is limited to those that purchase localized VNs.

I am happy either way, I don't think I would not buy a VN if it contained H content and vice versa.

I have to say the issue I would have would be that if the original game contained said scenes, I would want to see them in the game after localization.

So its less an issue of if the game has the content and more that I'd want the content to be consistant.

I have to say the issue I would have would be that if the original game contained said scenes, I would want to see them in the game after localization.

So its less an issue of if the game has the content and more that I'd want the content to be consistant.

There's a choice for that.

The original game is 18+. The localized game is all-ages.

People here wouldn't buy a game because the mosaics were removed, but would buy it if the mosaics were left in? Really?

Yep, mozaic is really good for me, I am more of an ass guy (juicy loli ass) or boobies guy (small loli boobies), don't really enjoy genitals, especially penis. Vag is nice and all but the uncensored one always sux. If it isnt censored in the first place (believe it or not, SSS games [kodomo-h] dont have vagina censored, only small mozaic over penis), then it can look nice. But if it is censored and some random dude from jast uncensors it, it is usually really bad xD

But if it is censored and some random dude from jast uncensors it, it is usually really bad xD

Quality aside, localization companies don't do the graphics editing. The developer does. That's partly why JAST's releases take so long. The market demand for mosaic removal is rather burdensome and prevents some titles from even coming over. The issue actually killed JAST's negotiations with GIGA.

I don'r really care about +18 or not. Sure, the sex scenes are nice sometimes but I mostly just skip them anyway so it doesn't really matter unless the game is something like Sengoku Rance or a Nukige of any sort. In "normal" VNs I couldn't care less, but the heavily sex-oriented ones makes you feel like you're losing a big part of the story when they take away the +18 content.

I wouldn't buy a game that was originally +18 and they make it all-ages. If they made it +18 it's for something, one wouldn't normally put H-scenes in the middle of aVN just because he feels like it (except in nukiges).

I hate censorship in general, even if what they censor is kinda disgusting, I mean, I like to see the original, or as original as possible, it doesn't make sense if they take parts of a game away because they want it to be all-ages. If you want an all-ages game, do a gome for all-ages and leave the +18 games alone.

My answer would vary.

On a general stance, I couldn't care less about the sexual content of the game and whether or not it was removed. But that's partly because I don't play nukige, and also because I don't believe I can find a VN that has actually interesting H-scenes (the medium does not seem adapted to me).

On very particular cases, I sometimes find H-scenes that serves a bit of a purpose for an otherwise plot-oriented VN and would be a bit disheartened if they were removed (eg Saya no Uta).

That's all theoretical though since I don't buy localized VNs. Thus I didn't vote.

I most likely woudn't buy a game that was originaly 18+ but converted to all ages for localisation, unless the removed content was very minimal. Even then I'm a bit on the fence as I strongly dislike cut-content and censorship. Though in the case of supporting a new company I might not mind that much if the amount of removed content is not ridiculous. (or if someone were to announce a patch to put the content back in)

That said, I also don't buy games where sex is the main focus(nukige) and tend to dislike games that have too much rape. I do enjoy the occasional sex scene when it fits, such as most of those you get as rewards in dating sims, but it's not a priority when choosing which game to buy.

If it's good who really gives a shit. It's annoying to see a game get butchered and molested in order for "wider audience value" but quality and the desire to read works trumps that. Moral highground/marketing economic nonsense doesn't pertain to how good something is.

I actually try to avoid games WITHOUT Hcontent, for some reason, I really dont know. I mean, the Hcontent typically isn't very grabbing for me, and I dont really play for them at all, but for some reason I dont like to play one without it, even if most of the time I just skip through them anyway. Im weird and I dont know why :S

I can't approve of removing the content if there should be content there.... and looking at some screenshots... the game would probably be really crappy without it. [Eien no Aselia.... removing the H made a pretty big gap at some points since parts of the story didn't make sense]

I can sort of understand their idea though, because the most popular VNs in the west are those that don't have H-content. [steins;Gate, Clannad, Rewrite. FSN would've been better without H. Could argue that G-sen would be better without it too, although likely more mixed reactions there]

Would be nice to still have the [H] be a choice though.

I admit it, I like ero. So unless the game is really good, I probably won't buy it if it has been censored. If you have remove content from a game, it's better not to release it at all. Besides, there are plenty of great all ages games ou there, like Root Double, so why not go with that.