SRPG

Equestrian_Gamer

As both a fan of Visual Novels and RPG's, you can imagine how much I love melding the two together. SRPG's are basically Visual Novels with turn by turn gameplay. Some of my favorites are Bunny Black (https://vndb.org/v3947), Kamidori Alchemy Master (https://vndb.org/v5652), and Utawarerumono (https://vndb.org/v3). I would very much love to hear some other peoples thoughts on this genre, and your recommendations. 

I played Yumina the Ethereal

Overall pretty fun, I like turn-by-turn battles in RPGs in general.

Thoughts on VNs that have this type of gameplay- damn fun. Though it's interesting because there are always times where I get impatient or have cravings where I only want to progress witih the story, or I only want to grind for hours.  <_<

Pastel Chime 3, Kami no Rhapsody, and the soon-to-be-delayed-for-the-9th-time Kenseiki Alpha Ride, but its trial is out next week, hyped for this one as it looks great. La DEA, Eiyuu Senki, the Sengoku/Sangoku Hime games, Gigai no Alruna, Shojo to Maou to Tactics, and even Twinkle Crusaders? Would the Rance games count? Then there's Verethragna and Tou no Shita for card games, although no real RPG elements there besides card levels, but some turn-based strategy gameplay at least.

They're all the ones I currently have installed which you'd maybe be interested in I think.

Sengoku Rance is the greatest VN/strategy/RPG hybrid in my opinion. As long as you don't mind the nature of the protagonist.

Other good ones are Daibanchou: Big Bang Age and Eien no Aselia. Tears to Tiara is okay. Duel Savior can also be interesting if you don't mind a rudimentary action element.

I like taking the fundamentals of storytelling and narrative choice from VNs and inserting them into an RPG and/or strategy framework, but it can be tough to find a balance. For example, a game like Omega Quintet on Playstation 4 is just a traditional RPG in certain senses, with some attempt at the storytelling structure of a VN. But the way it combines the two, it becomes lesser than either.

It's important when developing a VN to decide whether story is the only thing that matters to the game. If so, it may be better not to have a mediocre gameplay element get in the way of the story. For example, to me, the "game" element of Little Busters! may as well not exist.

Pretty much love the genre because of Fire Emblem, which may or may not fit into this category. Maybe as a SRPG with a bit of VN style story telling. I kinda love getting into the meta of games so SRPGs kinda hit that spot. 

Here are some that I have my eyes on for when I get better at Japanese ( pretty much all Eushully stuff ... )

Kami no Rhapsody

Soukoku No Arterial (ok this is primarily a card game ... but it's still sorta there right ? RIGHT? )

Ikusa Megami ( Big series ) 

Seinarukana 2  ( Currentyl being translated by JAST )

These games aren't terribly popular sadly... Other than the 3 you mentioned people rarely play other ones because they are 1. Untranslated and 2. Take time and effort to play ( e.g. grinding, strategy, spreadsheets, maths ). Personally I love that aspect to it. Makes VNs feel like game games , rather than game books. 

Some are good, some aren't.  Genrin no Kishougun and its sequel have Fire Emblem style battle systems, whereas Meishoku no Reiki has a system that reminds me of a combination of Dragon Force (without the great large-scale battles) and Ogre Battle (in terms of battle style). 

I just want to ask about Utawarerumono. I loved the anime to be honest but as a visual novel how good is it? 

I noticed on VNDB that it has one ending. just saying I've only played katawa shoujo, G-senjou no maou and himawari no shoujo so that one ending thing is kinda putting me off

cause I don't mind replaying the game to be with a different heroine. 

I just want to ask about Utawarerumono. I loved the anime to be honest but as a visual novel how good is it? 

I noticed on VNDB that it has one ending. just saying I've only played katawa shoujo, G-senjou no maou and himawari no shoujo so that one ending thing is kinda putting me off

cause I don't mind replaying the game to be with a different heroine. 

Was really really good when I played it, which was back when the patch came out in 08. Hadn't seen the anime then (if it was even out), actually only saw it last year I think. It was the second VN I ever read I think, so there's probably a lot of bias in me and how I remember it, but I remember it being very very good, and really the main reason I read more VNs I think. It remained the best I'd played for quite a while. The ending was super sad I think I actually teared up.

Definitely worth playing if you're interested, but since you've already had the story spoiled with the anime, not sure if there's really that much in it for you. There's a lot more detail in the VN obviously, but you've lost the overall story arc.

2 is out soon too, so probably worth playing if you plan on picking up 2.

From what I remember the ending was the same, yeah.

I'm not sure if it's a sequel, but it had a picture of one of the characters from 1 in it, the younger of the sisters I think it was? Seems to have exactly the same story as the first one anyway, but just set some years forward.

Hanayome to Maou isn't very good.  It's one of Escude's weaker titles.  The gameplay is kind of a hodgepodge of different systems, none of which are done very well.  The story was pretty weak as well.  Twinkle Crusader is better but the full-on moe fluff that dominated the storyline didn't interest me.

...Why did you even expect some kind of good story from those titles? No, I like it because of the gameplay, the character and the moe stuff, not in any way the story.

• 3 months later...

I dont want to give you false hopes or anything since this is just baby steps, but we did this:

http://blacklabel-translations.com/archives/387

I'm a massive fan of Utawarerumono myself (almost done retranslating Utawarerumono 1 for psp.) and I dont generally fool around when it comes to this stuff. The success or failure of Uta2 translation more or less boils down to whether or not my translator agrees to work on it as he does not own a ps3 to play the game with.

we have currently arciheved decryption and encryption of all the gamedata, reverse engineered most of the garphics formats, and the script format and are currently in progress of developing a tool to edit the game's scripts.

the picture on our site is running on an actual ps3.

Edited by ムギ
forgive me, for my english is awful.

I wish you would finish the UtaPSP before starting anything else...

uta1 is in progress and taking priority, however, that projects progress is currently 100% dependant on the translation, and the translator is busy finishing up some of his current projects. He said he'll get back to uta1 as soon as he's done with that, which should be very soon (im hoping he gets back to it during next week.)

Uta2 is the propable next target we're going to do, so the coding side of the team is working on it while uta1's translation is being worked on. Rest well my friend, it will all fall into place soon enough :)