VN Reading Club - September: Swan Song

Nimbus

Vn Reading Club September - Apocalypse Month   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which VN do you want to read this month?

• Daibanchou
    • Ever 17
    • Kikokugai
    • Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo
    • Swan Song

This poll is closed to new votes

Really confused about one scene... hoping someone can explain

2-6 Right after Takuma saves the girl. The last two lines are-

"There are so many annoying things. I don't get it"

"They did something good, so why is nobody praising them?"

Is that just poor narration talking about how they saved the girl, or is it Takuma thinking about the guys who just raped the girl?

just keep reading tsukasa explains what is hibari is complaining about (she is the one that says or thinks  "why is nobody praising them")

it's all about why did they bring back the guys how raped the girl back with them because now the civilization doesn't have any law or police so they dont know what to do with them.

Do they kill them ? Do they imprison them and feed them even if they dont deserve it? and again they dont have any system so do this (prison, guards etc) so there is a high chance that they can even scape.

So it's a dilemma that they dont want to face and now they have to because they brought them back with them.

that's why hibari is saying why is everyone acting as if they had done something bad when actually they did nothing wrong and just saved a girl from some rapists. 

at least that's what i remember from that part :P

I'm rather surprised at my reactions to Swan Song.

I really like it; the writing is superb, the characters are likable and I'm invested enough to want to see where it goes.

And yet, why aren't I playing it more? At the very least I should be playing it in the usual 2-3 hour gap that I dedicate to reading vns but despite my intrigue I can't find the motivation to read it.

Started reading it yesterday, and I don't really have an impression yet, aside from liking the voiced protagonist.  Absolutely hated the shaking in the beginning, though, and I'm starting to get annoyed at how many characters "smiled bitterly" at things.

I'm not really sure what I should do.  Would you guys recommend that I read the bad ends first, or that I do a complete run-through and then get the bad ends towards the end?

Can't make a recommendation yet on how to play this. I'm just going through and making the choices I think are best and hoping for the good or "good" end.

With that said.... this is the most fucked up thing I've read. It has been almost dropped a few times based on some of the content in it. Hopefully next month is something a bit safer....

Yeah,shaking in the beginning was like"F@%k up your eyesight,ur balls gonna pop out" XD

Well,i know 2 people who started reading Swan song and dropped because of demolishing effect on your mood.If you are not almostly senseless,then at least something will catch you.

Started reading it yesterday, and I don't really have an impression yet, aside from liking the voiced protagonist.  Absolutely hated the shaking in the beginning, though, and I'm starting to get annoyed at how many characters "smiled bitterly" at things.

I'm not really sure what I should do.  Would you guys recommend that I read the bad ends first, or that I do a complete run-through and then get the bad ends towards the end?

The shaking gave me a nasty headache, unfortunately, but at least I passed the part that had the shaking pretty fast.  Couldn't have handled it for much longer.

Get the bad endings if you properly save at important choices. They are really well written, take their time to happen and are a big part of this game's charm. Plus, people tend not to do bad ends when they save 'em for later.

Will do  o7  F/sn taught me to properly save, and G-senjou and Kajitsu taught me to get bad ends out of the way first.  Just thought I should ask, since I don't usually read linear VNs.

I tried to push through but had to drop it. Hopefully what I ran across was just the tip of a bad end but that VN takes things too far IMO.

The VN itself is pretty good. They really do a great job setting the mood and creating that hopeless scenario. I thought at first the no sprites thing would bug me but it worked out okay. The writing and translation is really good. The only complaint to that was a small part where the line displays "..." but Yuka says Tsukasa no baka.  They probably could have just put it in parenthesis or something. Despite it being a VN with heavy music emphasis, there seemed to be a lack of music. Yes, there were some pieces, but I didn't feel like any of them stood out, and more often than not, there was no BGM. I would have liked to seen how the story played out but I can't stomach some of the scenes.

aka all the rape

Given the feedback here, I'm scared to even start this up, but I'll still give it a try, starting tonight probably.

That said, my copy arrived today, but it turns out the website hosting the English translation evaporated. Does anybody know of a place to find just the English patch? My search-fu turned up only the shadiest of shady links, and I'm fairly paranoid when it comes to the safety of my computer.

And just in case it wasn't completely clear, I am specifically not looking for a torrent for the VN, so I don't think this is at odds with Fuwa policy - I have an actual, physical copy of it.

There is a bad ending that is really really shocking and imo is there just for fan service, it makes sense and it's actually good but the way it was executed is just bad, you can tell it was pure fan service so I don't like it

when kuwagata rapes aroe, all his inner thoughts while he is doing it and when he rapes yuka that leads him to rape aroe, is awesome they show you how he really is a wild animal there is nothing left for him and he doesnt take pleasure in anything anymore, he just crossed the final line he is an actual animal, but the way the vn shows you aroe being raped is just wrong, this is way I coulnt give a 10/10 to this vn, that and all the bs about tsukasa and his father issue which were really boring...

Given the feedback here, I'm scared to even start this up, but I'll still give it a try, starting tonight probably.

That said, my copy arrived today, but it turns out the website hosting the English translation evaporated. Does anybody know of a place to find just the English patch? My search-fu turned up only the shadiest of shady links, and I'm fairly paranoid when it comes to the safety of my computer.

And just in case it wasn't completely clear, I am specifically not looking for a torrent for the VN, so I don't think this is at odds with Fuwa policy - I have an actual, physical copy of it.

This is the patch

I tried to push through but had to drop it. Hopefully what I ran across was just the tip of a bad end but that VN takes things too far IMO.

The VN itself is pretty good. They really do a great job setting the mood and creating that hopeless scenario. I thought at first the no sprites thing would bug me but it worked out okay. The writing and translation is really good. The only complaint to that was a small part where the line displays "..." but Yuka says Tsukasa no baka.  They probably could have just put it in parenthesis or something. Despite it being a VN with heavy music emphasis, there seemed to be a lack of music. Yes, there were some pieces, but I didn't feel like any of them stood out, and more often than not, there was no BGM. I would have liked to seen how the story played out but I can't stomach some of the scenes.

aka all the rape

I'm on Atto Terza Scena 7. Is there a lot later on, and is it avoidable?

I don't really know why a lot of people are so surprised about the depressing tone.  It's an apocalyptic VN that seems to deal with the collapse of society; what part of that seems not depressing?  These types of stories almost always have rape, murder and massive amounts of cruelty in them.  I mean, The Road ain't exactly a book you'd want to read when you're feeling down.

Just got to the part after

Dr. Kakizaki was burned to death and the guys in the main group rescued Taeko from the people that killed him.  That was pretty shocking, considering that it's maintained a fairly light tone so far, aside from the girl that got crushed to death and the police officers.  Not

really surprising, considering the environment, but it did come out of nowhere.  I'm really hoping that Tanomura doesn't die, but I'm rather suspicious, since he kinda seems like the de facto leader of their little band, and bad things usually happen to the leaders in stories like this.

Welcome to depravity, despair, and the human condition. I am incapable of reading this visual novel again (I attempted to for this club) but it just makes me remember how fucked we are as a species. 

This is a great visual novel just don't read when slightly or more than slightly depressed.

On that happy note, I'm going to resume reading!  ^_^

I might be kinda fucked up, but I actually love apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic fiction, as disturbing and dark as it usually is.  Strangely, that's the one area of fiction that I want to be as fucked up as possible; I usually don't like that dark stuff, but I actively seek it out when it has to do with an apocalypse.  Societal breakdown fascinates me.

I'm really appreciating the voiced protagonists.  It's refreshing that the VN treats them as normal characters, and not special people that never get their faces shown or their voices heard.  I'm also a sucker for point-of-view switching, so right now, I'm really enjoying reading.

Thanks, Deep Blue! It took some fussing around (apparently the patch was designed for the CD release and I have the DVD release), but I got it going and am just about to dive in. Also, I found one place where I should have figured this out myself: although the link for the Patch release on VNDB.org (https://vndb.org/r5735) goes to an internet archived page from which the download link is toast, there are notes at the bottom of that page pointing to Yandere Translations' mediafire folder. I didn't realize the release pages on VNDB.org had quite that level of information on them...

I already posted a bit of Swan Song in 'What are you playing?' thread, so I'll just quote that bit.

Well I have just started it and it's already apparent that this is going be a really dark ride.

It helps that I really like the protag, he actually gives me a feel that what I would myself do in that situation wouldn't be much different from him. That being said now I'm kinda scared to see what dark-side we will see from him.

Just passed the part where

Kuwagata had Hidari murdered and unsuccessfully tried to get Tanomura framed and killed for it.  As much as I think he's a pile of human trash now, I can't deny that his character development was very good.  He starts out as a sniveling little nerd that will almost assuredly make lonely, unsuccessful and awkward guys sympathize with him, and through his actions his personality warps to what it is currently.  The thing is, his actions aren't exactly unreasonable, and in the same situation, I feel that a lot of people would have made similar decisions, at least to a certain point, which is what makes his character so disturbing, IMO.  He reminds me a bit of Walter White from Breaking Bad with how he draws you in only to become more and more of a terrible human being as the plot progresses.

Have to say, Hidari's death didn't exactly come as a surprise.  I guessed that he'd either do a face-heel turn and become the antagonist (realized that wasn't it when the Daichi society was introduced), or that he'd get killed off.  I figured that without a major upheaval of that kind, the plot wouldn't progress, and it appears I was right.  Didn't expect him to get murdered by Kuwagata via a proxy, though.  That one surprised me, even as messed up as he was acting previously to that.

Screw it, I'm double posting.  I wanna say what I thought of Swan Song in this thread :saber:

Finished Swan Song.  I surprisingly liked the music, even though most of the tracks were pretty short and looped, just like they usually do.  They seemed to fit the scenes they were in a lot better than other VNs like Princess Evangile (where I started to hate the BGM with a burning passion), so I didn't mind them as much.

To elaborate on this, my favorite BGM tracks were In the darkness (Op. 10), Sneer (OP. 11), if (Mw. 01), and Spiritual World (Mw. 02).  I didn't like the lighter, happier tracks as much for some reason.  I especially liked it when, during tense scenes filled with danger, they used In the darkness and Sneer back to back, as they sound like the situation that's happening escalated and became much more serious.

Favorite characters...Tanomura.  Tanomura hands down.  Hibari gets second place, and I guess Tsukasa gets third.  I loved Tanomura, even if his fight scenes could border on improbable.  I liked his emotional strength and how he never really let what was going on ruin him, even though it would emotionally kill most people.  He's also a bit of a badass, and that's always nice.

Now, this may sound a little messed up, but in terms of plot, I actually liked the normal end better than the true end. 

It's so much darker and depressing, and it was horrible to read, but I still think that it was, without a doubt, the better of the two endings.  I felt that in the true end, the main conflict was too easily solved, and the fact that they actually skipped showing it's resolution entirely really irritated me.  Coming from the normal end, I was expecting something a little less "and they lived happily ever after"-ish and a little more "realistic but fairly happy".  Looking at what happened immediately before that, in the "common route" that both of the endings share, it seems a little strange that things could have been solved so easily and relatively painlessly.  I also like the normal end better because, well, it illustrates the fallibility of humanity and society and how we all can fall into darkness if pushed the right way (at least, that's what I took from it).  The true end replaces that with happy feels and optimism, which, while nice, are a very poor replacement, in my opinion.  It shows the resiliency of humanity, and is the other side of the coin to the normal route, but it lacked the same power that the normal end did, in my opinion.

TL;DR: I think Swan Song did the darker plot line better, and that it didn't do the true end half as well.  I liked the darker BGM tracks, and Tanomura is awesome.

Favorite characters...Tanomura.  Tanomura hands down.  Hibari gets second place, and I guess Tsukasa gets third.  I loved Tanomura, even if his fight scenes could border on improbable.  I liked his emotional strength and how he never really let what was going on ruin him, even though it would emotionally kill most people.  He's also a bit of a badass, and that's always nice.

Now, this may sound a little messed up, but in terms of plot, I actually liked the normal end better than the true end. 

It's so much darker and depressing, and it was horrible to read, but I still think that it was, without a doubt, the better of the two endings.  I felt that in the true end, the main conflict was too easily solved, and the fact that they actually skipped showing it's resolution entirely really irritated me.  Coming from the normal end, I was expecting something a little less "and they lived happily ever after"-ish and a little more "realistic but fairly happy".  Looking at what happened immediately before that, in the "common route" that both of the endings share, it seems a little strange that things could have been solved so easily and relatively painlessly.  I also like the normal end better because, well, it illustrates the fallibility of humanity and society and how we all can fall into darkness if pushed the right way (at least, that's what I took from it).  The true end replaces that with happy feels and optimism, which, while nice, are a very poor replacement, in my opinion.  It shows the resiliency of humanity, and is the other side of the coin to the normal route, but it lacked the same power that the normal end did, in my opinion.

Kuwagata is definetely the most interesting character for me.For everyone who got sympathised with him at beginning-LOL,hes turned on the dark side.And made it in believable way-and thats disturbing.Also,if you explore the war literature,you will find one similarity between poor and weak characters-The more insignificant was a man in everyday life, the more he became a tyrant, having received authority.Good example would be "ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT by Erich Maria Remarque.