Snowtsuku

What manga are you currently reading?

Just bombed through HajiOtsu. It was lovely.

HEFTY SPOILERS:

Spoiler

Ugh, for something that made me feel so lovely and warm for 27-28 chapters, it sure as hell chucked me through the wringer on the last four.

As a tale based around relationships and growing feelings, HajiOtsu really does a good job of showing how difficult it can be to reveal certain truths to someone you increasingly care about, particularly if it will hurt the other person; the way it beat around the bush surrounding the "big secret" being revealed actually worked in its favour here, which is something that usually gets my goat. It's particularly difficult reading sometimes as the story gets told from both halves of the relationship, showing both the awareness of the secret on the girls' side, and in particular Satoru's blissful ignorance as he slowly falls in love with Himari.

However, it's not just moral dilemmas and feelwagons. HajiOtsu is, really, bloody adorable. The growing relationship between Himari and Satoru is heart-meltingly sweet, particularly little moments like the first time they hold hands, and the letter Satoru writes for Himari's birthday. The side characters were well done, and the way they interacted with each other shows the way that friends in school tease one another, yet ultimately (most of the time) put the happiness of their peers at the top of their focus. They weren't just played for laughs, and while they were funny also felt well-developed as people. Throw in the particular side focus on Yae and her feelings, and in 5 volumes I feel as though I got a pretty round view of all 6 characters, not just Satoru and Himari.

Would read again and in all honesty will likely buy, if not in physical form then as an eBook. 9.5/10, would emotionally scrub myself with again.

I recently finished volume 3 of Kakegurui and I'm really liking it so far (though I instantly forget all the rules of the gambling right after I read them)

It's pretty thrilling and I love how twisted and psychotic the characters expressions can get

Finished ReRe Hello. It is everything I'm looking for in a romance. Couple meet each other, get to know each other, start dating, we follow their livres for a while, cute moments, first time, profit.

The boy isn't a playboy or a complete bastard and the girl isn't a crybaby or a single-minded, love chasing individual.

10/10

Recently I followed two manga that revealed some very obvious twist (Detective Conan and Shokugeki no Souma), so let me write what I understand here. Beware though it'll be the spoiler for the most current chapter of the manga, so I'll hide my writing here.

Shokugeki no Souma

Spoiler

I'd more interested with the twist rather than the match, because at least the twist was confirmed my suspicion. As for the twist, the author revealed the reason of why Soumei (One of Elite 10 members) joined Azami (Current Big Bad) side, and it was have some connection with his mother who faced discrimination as woman sushi chef (Which unfortunately was happened in real life from what I read). From the beginning it was pretty obvious that six out of ten Elite 10 members would vote for Azami as the new principal not without reason - except Eizan because he was obviously evil, and what we need is WHAT drive them to did that in order to allow Azami to take advantage of either by manipulation, deal, or persuasion. And finally one of the member's reason (Soumei) was revealed, therefore for now I'm satisfied with that.

Detective Conan

Spoiler

Finally Gosho was revealed BO's boss name, and it was only need... 708 chapters or more than 17 years for the confirmation that obvious fact. Okay, the boss name turned out to be Karasuma Renya (His name was appear in Chapter 300) who supposed to be already dead for 50 years so naturally it should be impossible that he would be alive by now. But then again, with the poison that caused Shinichi to have 7 years old body as Conan and the jewel of immortality in Kid the Phantom Thief manga, not to mention the mystery of ageless Vermouth there's a chance that Karasuma was still alive - or perhaps it could be his descendant if the man was indeed dead. Oh, and Conan was about to entering the long hiatus so it might be need a long time before we could really see the end of the mystery, but at least we getting there for now. As for the obvious fact that I said in regard of Karasuma, seeing that he lead Crow Association in the past and BO was have crow as the animal motive it's not that hard for the people to make the connection from there.

Well, that's all that I could write here and I'd want to write those for a while here.

Edited by littleshogun

Just finished Helck and it was superb.

Spoiler

It starts off focusing mostly on humour but it gradually builds up into a tale filled with emotion. The titular character Helck's development is based on his mental and emotional growth, rather that his power, since he starts of at the peak of his strength. His opponents constantly confront him with the intention of breaking his mind and heart, due to all the things he's been through in his past, his failures and mistakes, this tactic often works, Helck needed an ally to help him through that and he found one in Vamirio.

Vamirio served as his pillar of strength, a guiding light as he mentions. She's intelligent, expressive [adorable] and wise, always understanding the intentions of their enemies and one upping them with flair. I like how their friendship gradually grows, and, as they go through their trial in the manga, it becomes one of mutual trust, respect and care. They needed each other to overcome it all, there wasn't any sideline cheer leading, they stood side by side.

Though they become the primary focus past the half way mark, the minor character added value to the read as well. Asudora and his backstory about the humans [also azudora being azudora], the crafty spy and her escaped in the castle, her sister that always freaked out at everything yet remained resolute in the face of despair, badass tsundere hyura and her secret desire to be a princess lol, dogman mangaka. There are others of course, they all added value to the manga, they all served a purpose in this tale. Most of these characters carefully faded into the background when major revelations began emerging towards the end. I did not expect it to go in that direction, honestly. It was a good surprise.

I felt that the pacing was perfect, there wasn't a boring moment, questions were answered by the end [most of them at least, she's making a possible sequel? based Helck. There's another major threat and other key administration members of the empire haven't been revealed], it wasn't rushed. The ending was beautiful and moving, after all the despair and suffering, i loved that it ended that way. That scene where helck meets alicia again, the scene where he bows down to Vamirio clutching her hand and thanking her for being his true savior... so sweet.

Really loved reading this story. 

I did read Detective School Q (DSQ) in the past, and the art and mystery was more or less almost resembled Kindaichi - which make sense because both of DSQ and Kindaichi written by same people. The difference is that DSQ did have some continuation ongoing between each of the case, while Kindaichi didn't have Myth Arc at all because it was more or less just standalone cases. In regard of detective manga, I will say if you want the plot DSQ is the better one even though it resembled usual shounen story (Make sense considering the genre). For more comparison, actually Conan did have continuation as well although it's be going on and on for almost 25 years and yet they Myth Arc was pretty scarce. Note that I knew it have the anime adaptation as well, but I still recommend that you better read the manga because the anime was ended before revealed the main villain.

Got to the end of Kaze to Ki no uta's translated parts. It made me feel really tired and sad, which is something that I think it was supposed to do. While it is 70s shoujo BL (ie, not at all something I would read normally), it really did sing to me and almost felt similar in tone to the type of utsuge I like, ahaha. A lot of it is really hard hitting and relatable, especially where the main character is concerned. The other cast members, while certainly not generally as likable as people, are similarly interesting. Definitely reading the remainder of this one.

Finished read Private Actress, and the episodic format is made it easier to read it online through my handphone. The premise is simple enough with our female MC Shino have a part time work as the private actress, and from there experienced the situation of what cause the client to hire the actress like that. As for the actress thing, it's more or less based on this quite unusual business that's also available in Japan, except that Shiho sometimes also act as the body double or a victim of a murder in which her job is getting dangerous.

As for Shiho herself, while her character didn't show much considering that in the manga we got to see more of her clients situation, she was still an interesting one with the acting skill that could be called as highly talented and it was in the blood considering that both of her father and mother was very talented in acting, and yet because of Shiho's parent situation she end up work as private actress in order to sharpen her acting. Also note that she didn't want to use her parents connection because of her current situation, and she probably won't use that because she want to stand alone by herself even without the said circumstances.

Edited by littleshogun

Currently caught up with Black Butler, which as a whole I'm rather enjoying due to the whole Ciel-Sebastian dynamic. Found some new volumes as of late, and got motivated to pick up the stuff online because stuff was getting real and I couldn't wait. Please tell me there's someone else here reading it who's caught up, I need to know that someone else knows how real stuff is getting right now. The suspense of having to wait is too much.

I started reading untranslated よつばと!, as an aid for learning Japanese, and it looks really funny. I'm past first few (10 or so) pages, and I already like what I see - it's difficult not to smile, when I see little Yotsuba's enhtusiasm, smile and innocence. Very heartwarming.

wave.png

Say, isn't that smile contagious?

Currently binge-reading Bokura no Kiseki. I remember starting this series a few years ago, and back then I only read the first two chapters, got the impression that it was some generic action-focused fantasy and dropped it. Recently decided to give this another try, and I can say that I was completely wrong. Basically, this turned out to be a competent psychological mystery with the focus on character development, so it's exactly the type of story that I tend to enjoy the most.

The story takes place when basically the whole high-school class awakens to the memories from their previous lives. All of them were the inhabitants of a certain Medieval-style fantasy world who died on the same day in a castle that was suddenly attacked by forces of a country they considered friendly. Now they decided to unravel the reason the attack happened, while dealing with the whole baggage of past feelings, regrets and outdated beliefs that don't make sense in the modern world. Overall, the story tries to approach a pretty generic shoujo setting it in a more realistic way, and, in my opinion, it excels in that.

The only major problem so far is that the art is not that great, so sometimes it's extremely difficult to distinguish between some characters. And it doesn't help that the cast is huge, so I regularly have to return to the information page at the start of each volume to recall who some minor characters are. Other than that, I feel like there might be some minor plot holes (we'll see after it ends), plus some twists are very obvious (though it's not necessarily a bad point), but overall I don't see anything major enough to make me give anything lower than 9/10.

And this clearly deserves a (good) anime adaptation. :vanilla:

I just finished first volume of よつばと!. It's so heartwarming, charming and funny - little Yotsuba enjoys every little thing in life, and pulls the reader along :)

I'm totally loving this manga. It never fails to lift up the gloomy mood, even if for a little while.

- perhaps it's time to order complete set to save on postage fees ;)

Edited by adamstan