What manga are you currently reading?

Snowtsuku

Doing something I should've done long ago (given its joint first position in my 'favourite anime' rankings) and reading Acchi Kocchi. The more angular art style took me off guard to begin with, but I'm definitely warming to it. It's still absolutely hilarious and fuzzymaking (real word), so I'm happy.

• 1 month later...

started reading this korean webtoon called girls the wild. MAN IS IT FUNNY, I don't read comedies and most anime/manga have a few jokes in them here and there but never laugh at them really.

Story isnt bad butMAN the jokes and the character expressions are gold have never laughed at a manga this hard, story isn't bad and i like it im at chapter 50

Just finished Secret of the Princess. It was really, really sweet yuri, even though the protagonists pussyfooted around each other's feelings FOR AGES. All about that final confession :holo:

Currently working through Prunus Girl. Not sure how it's gonna pan out over 6 volumes, but it's nice and mischievous at the moment so I'm enjoying it.

Spoiler

I'm totally gonna read something that @Nosebleed didn't rec at some point. Totally.

Edited by AaronIsCrunchy

Finished Akuma to Dolce. 8/10

Not the best depiction of "on a whim a powerful Devil helps a human" I've read, that honour goes to Hana to Akuma, but still a reasonably sweet story, in more than one sense. Frankly, it falls into some annoying stereotypes right at the start, but it soon became good enough that I forgave it. I'd like to speak in more detail, but I've forgotten all the minor details by now...

I also -- god, what have I gotten myself into -- started Love Hina, after solemnly swearing that I would stay away from harems.

Why did I start? Two reasons: 1) I reasonably enjoyed the anime, but it did not duly conclude. 2) People, in general, seem to regard it as something of a classic, and claim that the manga is better than the anime.
Certainly I, after some judgement, concluded that the manga was sufficiently different, and that I had watched the anime sufficiently long ago, to merit that I read the manga.
I still really like the cast. Putting aside the 'ecchi' misunderstandings, which I tend to skip, its been an enjoyable experience. I really like Naru.

Finally finished Love Hina. 9/10
In every way superior to the anime, it concluded very well and I now feel, once more, that harems can be done well. Mainly by ensuring beyond a shadow of a doubt that the main girl is the main girl. Keitaro and Naru always had a comparatively closer relationship that everyone else. As long as I can see that, and so long as I'm occasionally fed some romantic moments between the two, I'm satisfied.
Also included some hot kisses. Such <3

On the other hand, I've started Karakuri Odette, which might be a romance, I'm still not sure.
It's sort of like Chobits except not CLAMP and I'm enjoying it a good bit more than I remember enjoying Chobits.
It'll likely end up a 10/10, unless it messes up its ending, which, reportedly, it does. Still really good.

Edit: Yep, still good. Marvellous story.

I liked how it occasionally tackled certain themes as the main character slowly learnt how to be human, and I liked how gradual her growth, as a character, was. Not only was it fun, it was also touching on occasion.
I really liked the Professor/Doctor. I suppose he felt like... a parent? A parent worrying his arse off and doing his damnedest for his children. A parent going white in the face when he hears what shenanigans his children got themselves into. A parent getting mad at his children's latest "brilliant" idea. Not the kind of parent that teaches, but the kind of parent that wants the children to learn by themselves.
In this sort of story the depiction of an actual robot is always dubious at best, but that is not the point.

Currently reading Tsukihime adaptation in Manga. Luckily in France we have all of the 10 volumes, I heard the english translation stopped after the 6, so I got worried. 

Until now, it's really great, a lot better than the anime (wich I actually liked, when most of people wish it doesn't exist (also I can't stop listening to this)), really well drawn and seems pretty faithful to the VN (welp, I haven't done Arc's route yet tho, I started by Ciel and then gone to Hisui and Kohaku).

Edited by Pinkaw

I just finished reading Oyasumi Punpun, and... wow. Just wow.

Can't say I have had anything had any other manga affect me in such a way. I read it all in one day, and man, was it ever a ride.

I'm not even sure how I am supposed to put my thoughts into words for this. It was surreal, yet so very rooted in reality. It was an unapologetic look at life and mental illnesses, that really drives a nail or ten through the heart with its relatively relatable (for me) stories.

The portrayal of Punpun's early life really had me feeling nostalgic, thinking about the days where I was discovering myself just like he was. It just rang so true as he struggled to understand all of these changes going on inside as he was making his way into his adolescence. He is kind of a blank slate in a lot of ways, but with just enough character that he stands on his own two feet and can really be separated from more generic self-insert type protagonists. This becomes apparent closer to the end of the manga when Aiko makes her way into his life once more, upturning his already turbulent mental stability.

I think that is what I liked about him the most. All through his life, you could always tell what kind of state his mind was in, based on how he was being drawn, as that is a direct representation of what he thinks of himself. 

When he finally graduated and went into the world, and his form shifted more and more, you can REALLY feel his mental stability changing. From having that blank "I'm okay" face plastered on to just being portrayed as a simple triangle/pyramid. It was jarring, but when it settled in, it really hits hard.

There is a lot more I would like to talk about, but I really can't get it into words right now. It was just so good, and honestly, with some time to stew on it, it is probably my number one manga of all time.

Just, if you are thinking about reading it, be prepared. It has an EXTREMELY depressing atmosphere. Like, an unhealthy level of depressing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm dropping the Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! manga the latest panel has made it clear that the author is determined not to provide any God Damned relationship development while the comic is still popular and is content to put everything in the dreaded stasis of the status quo to milk hell out of the series. FUCK OFF

I guarantee that there will be at least two more big "Will they or wont they get together" arcs in-between 100-200 pages each that repeat the same shit.

2 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Well, I'm dropping the Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! manga the latest panel has made it clear that the author is determined not to provide any God Damned relationship development while the comic is still popular and is content to put everything in the dreaded stasis of the status quo to milk hell out of the series. FUCK OFF

I guarantee that there will be at least two more big "Will they or wont they get together" arcs in-between 100-200 pages each that repeat the same shit.

Well, amigo, if shit gets popular, there's a 95% chance of the author being pressured to/choosing to milk the fck outta that shit.

37 minutes ago, The Last Melody said:

Well, amigo, if shit gets popular, there's a 95% chance of the author being pressured to/choosing to milk the fck outta that shit.

I know, I'm just lamenting the fact that the majority of love stories (in manga) conclude at the confession/acceptance stage. The literal start of a romance is the end of the romance in almost the entire medium! 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

27 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I know, I'm just lamenting the fact that the majority of love stories (in manga) conclude at the confession/acceptance stage. The literal start of a romance is the end of the romance in almost the entire medium! 

I know what'cha mean, pal.
The best parts are often beyond the confession, as so many comical characters know very well(the incessant teasing and making fun of).

Assasination Classroom was quite interesting manga there. So we had students who was told to be killing the being who about to destroy the world in one year, and yet the being was their homeroom teacher. Sounds like the teacher will be abusive one or like Monokuma because it was cute, until we found that it was far from those two (The being was quite friendly and helpful to the students). Oh, and turned out the students were victims of discrimination. That's all for now.

Reading Ryushika Ryushika, which is basically Yotsuba&! by way of Yoshitoshi Abe. The girl is slightly less innocent and there's less focus on the characters around her and her positive influence on them, and more focus on the gags that result from the girl's wild imagination. Also, it gets pretty psychedelic sometimes. It's 10 volumes in full colour, though I don't think all of it is translated.

Recommended, anyway, especially if you like Yotsuba.

Edited by john 'mr. customer' smith

• 2 weeks later...

Lately, I'm in clinical depression a Inio Asano Phase. I finished Solanin (one of the best mangas I ever read :Chocola: ) and Subarashii Sekai (plus Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction vol.1 & 2 and Oyasumi Punpun vol.1) and I'm reading Hikari no Machi. My next target is Sekai no Owari to Yoake Mae or The Girl on the Shore...but only if don't go crazy with all this depressive (but wonderful) material :wahaha:

• 1 month later...

Just spent an hour reading through Koneko Hiroimashita.

Spoiler

It was a really pleasant read, although also really kinda short. It's only 6 chapters, and as I said it took me ~ an hour to read from start to finish. It was nice to read about a parent/child relationship (well, kinda), and it's also lovely to read something that is entirely pure hearted in its approach. Reminded me of Amaama to Inazuma in that respect, and I loved that dearly. I was perhaps a little underwhelmed by the ending, but at the same time I don't know where the mangaka could have realistically gone, beyond @Nintaidou's suggestion of a couple of 'follow up' chapters. I'd definitely read it again if I fancy something nice and warm for an hour, 8/10 :sachi:

• 3 weeks later...

Just bombed through HajiOtsu. It was lovely.

HEFTY SPOILERS:

Spoiler

Ugh, for something that made me feel so lovely and warm for 27-28 chapters, it sure as hell chucked me through the wringer on the last four.

As a tale based around relationships and growing feelings, HajiOtsu really does a good job of showing how difficult it can be to reveal certain truths to someone you increasingly care about, particularly if it will hurt the other person; the way it beat around the bush surrounding the "big secret" being revealed actually worked in its favour here, which is something that usually gets my goat. It's particularly difficult reading sometimes as the story gets told from both halves of the relationship, showing both the awareness of the secret on the girls' side, and in particular Satoru's blissful ignorance as he slowly falls in love with Himari.

However, it's not just moral dilemmas and feelwagons. HajiOtsu is, really, bloody adorable. The growing relationship between Himari and Satoru is heart-meltingly sweet, particularly little moments like the first time they hold hands, and the letter Satoru writes for Himari's birthday. The side characters were well done, and the way they interacted with each other shows the way that friends in school tease one another, yet ultimately (most of the time) put the happiness of their peers at the top of their focus. They weren't just played for laughs, and while they were funny also felt well-developed as people. Throw in the particular side focus on Yae and her feelings, and in 5 volumes I feel as though I got a pretty round view of all 6 characters, not just Satoru and Himari.

Would read again and in all honesty will likely buy, if not in physical form then as an eBook. 9.5/10, would emotionally scrub myself with again.

• 6 months later...

Finished ReRe Hello. It is everything I'm looking for in a romance. Couple meet each other, get to know each other, start dating, we follow their livres for a while, cute moments, first time, profit.

The boy isn't a playboy or a complete bastard and the girl isn't a crybaby or a single-minded, love chasing individual.

10/10

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I followed two manga that revealed some very obvious twist (Detective Conan and Shokugeki no Souma), so let me write what I understand here. Beware though it'll be the spoiler for the most current chapter of the manga, so I'll hide my writing here.

Shokugeki no Souma

Spoiler

I'd more interested with the twist rather than the match, because at least the twist was confirmed my suspicion. As for the twist, the author revealed the reason of why Soumei (One of Elite 10 members) joined Azami (Current Big Bad) side, and it was have some connection with his mother who faced discrimination as woman sushi chef (Which unfortunately was happened in real life from what I read). From the beginning it was pretty obvious that six out of ten Elite 10 members would vote for Azami as the new principal not without reason - except Eizan because he was obviously evil, and what we need is WHAT drive them to did that in order to allow Azami to take advantage of either by manipulation, deal, or persuasion. And finally one of the member's reason (Soumei) was revealed, therefore for now I'm satisfied with that.

Detective Conan

Spoiler

Finally Gosho was revealed BO's boss name, and it was only need... 708 chapters or more than 17 years for the confirmation that obvious fact. Okay, the boss name turned out to be Karasuma Renya (His name was appear in Chapter 300) who supposed to be already dead for 50 years so naturally it should be impossible that he would be alive by now. But then again, with the poison that caused Shinichi to have 7 years old body as Conan and the jewel of immortality in Kid the Phantom Thief manga, not to mention the mystery of ageless Vermouth there's a chance that Karasuma was still alive - or perhaps it could be his descendant if the man was indeed dead. Oh, and Conan was about to entering the long hiatus so it might be need a long time before we could really see the end of the mystery, but at least we getting there for now. As for the obvious fact that I said in regard of Karasuma, seeing that he lead Crow Association in the past and BO was have crow as the animal motive it's not that hard for the people to make the connection from there.

Well, that's all that I could write here and I'd want to write those for a while here.

Edited by littleshogun

• 3 weeks later...