Runeous - Greenlight!

Earl Grey

ffMqFYO.png

Greetings from Novel Tea Games!

We've been working hard on our Visual Novel and we're very close to finishing our demo. I assure you that you won't be disappointed!

While we wish to be as transparent as possible and share as much as we can, we also believe in saving some of the content for a surprise when the demo launches so please forgive me if at any point I seem a little vague about certain story details.

fmoDciz.png

View our trailer!

Now on Steam Greenlight!

What's it about!?

Runeous is a Fantasy Adventure with 'Steampunk' elements. The story follows a small group of heroes in a world ravished by the wars of its past. 

Runestones possessing magical qualities are what fuel the industry, their secrets long ago lost. 
Humans research them to unlock their hidden potential. 
Overpopulation in cities built for far fewer inhabitants. Homes built atop homes with giant walkways connecting the various levels together. 

While there is a whole ton of lore that's been written up for the world, we're waiting until the Demo before releasing it as we wish to make it as presentable as possible for you!
(I may be willing to give a sneak peek to individuals who can offer genuine feedback and suggestions)

mWSJKrr.png

What do we have thus far?
Well, we're almost done with the demo! There are just a few elements left to add. - In the interests of transparency, we have had a lot of trouble with music. This is an issue that has been addressed with the addition of a new team member! - 90% of artwork is done and that includes the majority of the 'main' assets. All we have left to do is a few more CGs, NPCs and promotional art!

As for the writing we're miles ahead! From lore and main plot points to full episodes written!

fBhACHj.png

Meet our team!
While I would absolutely love to wait until our staff 'Chibi' images are ready, unfortunately we've just not had enough spare time to get them done with the development going on, therefore I'm just going to have to throw some unattractive links at you!

Earl Grey - That's me! I'm the project manager, Community manager and Marketing. I wrote the initial story line and lore, however our writer has taken over writing the Episodes!

Chamomile - She's our Lead Character Artist! She also works a lot on promotional items and tidbits!

Chai - She's our Lead Background Artist. She also collaborates with Chamo on CGs!

Jasneymon - Or 'Jas' for short. She's our 'Support' Artist. Working on things like Objects, items or Chibis for the website.

Vanilla - She's our Web Designer! You probably can't tell right now, but a lot of work is going on behind the scenes which will improve the site a bunch ;)

Kagoshima - He's another amazing artist, however he's working on something 'Top Secret' right now so unfortunately we can't show you any of his content right now :(

Peppermint - Our latest addition. Peppermint is working on Music! Unfortunately I don't have a link to share with you at the moment.

So there we have it. That's our small, yet amazingly wonderful team! ^^

If you would like to find out more about our project, please check out our Website
You can now also support us on Patreon!
We post monthly Blogs!

Thanks for reading!
Please do let me know what your thoughts are on our projects!
Also please consider taking part in our community forum where you can talk, interact and ask questions with the rest of our team!
Mail us any time: [email protected]

02 Sept 2015
NPC Update
No character is too small or insignificant to us, especially the small insignificant ones ;)
We've finished all but one of the 'NPCs' so everyone who speaks within the demo has a face!
amV0SNX.pngCDiiE90.png

We've also made some progress on music. While we're not ready to share it with the public just yet, we do have a small 'sample' of the music quality you might expect:

05 Sept 2015
Update: Narrator Portraits
Since even the NPCs are featured in our VN, it's only fair that our wonderful Narrators be see too. Today we introduce our Narrator Portraits!

9WppJUN.jpg

EzNT2QV.jpg

18 October 2015
Update: Free Game!
We have decided to release Runeous as a Free Game!
Check out out blog to learn more and how you can help to support us!

uaPRgKM.png   iG1nkgn.png

LA3P9GF.png   FhpQ0Hy.png

Steampunk is fun and under-represented genre, so hopefully you'll do well and raise interest levels in steampunk stories. When you say it's a "fantasy adventure," do you mean in terms of the story content or are there actual gameplay elements?

Hey there!

By Fantasy Adventure it refers to the story content. - Steampunk-wise we're taking only elements from the genre such as clockwork mechanics and over-populated cities.

Unfortunately you won't see too much of the Steampunk side in the demo as we're opening up in the country-side as it gives us a good ground to put some story direction in there. However I'll endeavor to get some of the main city art work done as soon as possible!

Here's a snippet of the text we have referring to the world and main city:

The world of Ceir’a holds much forgotten History and Lore in which the story uncovers. From the great Runic Wars to the stories present day.

A world tattered and scared from the Wars of its past. In an attempt to rebuild towns and cities from an overcrowded population meant towering buildings had to be created to home its inhabitants. The capital city of Avaria created huge walkways on various levels of the city to enable its inhabitants to freely move around. Many levels containing marketplaces, airship docks and various government buildings such as the Runic Academy, Military barracks and it’s own respective Military Academy.

Sounds interesting. I've always been very partial to Final Fantasy VII and the city you describe reminds me a lot of Midgar in some ways, though with a more truly steampunk level of technology.

Is that text from within the game itself, or just from the lore you built around the story?

The text is from the lore, not the actual game :)

Amazing artwork - I can't wait to see more in the future on this.

I'm glad you like it! The work they produce blows me away all the time! ^^ I'll try to keep you updated as best I can. Twitter is actually one of the best places to find new updates: @novelteagames

Smashing!

I love your art style and the premise sounds interesting. I can't wait to try out the DEMO! :D

Glad you like it! ^^ I'll be sure to announce the demo link as soon as it's available!

Note to all. I've updated with information on NPCs and Music! :3

i´m open towards anything from anyone who decides doing his own thing, instead of copy paste already existing memes/looks/setting/whatoever fuckk caused by one´s own non willingness in taking some risks, thus choosing the pseudo safe way of mimicking other popular stuff.

all hail literary/visual individualism & good luck on your future endeavours!

edit: your second npc sprite shown is afine example, why breeding between human females and orcs should be prevented by any means. even the pleasure of beeing penetrated by a 6feet long dick doesnt justify such a tragical outcome. have mercy!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very nice trailer. Great music, great art. Love the hand-painted style. The only drawback is that, even after watching the trailer, I wouldn't have a clear idea what the game is about if I hadn't already been following this thread. Somebody watching without much context might have a tougher time understanding what they're looking at. I totally get the aesthetic reasons for not wanting to clutter up those images with text, but even a few words to tease the setting and/or characters might make a big difference.

Purely my opinion of course! Keep up the good work.

• 2 months later...

Art looks great (particularly the background art), and the music sounds lovely (the sample on Google Drive, since I'm assuming the trailer music isn't representative of the game music, though it's also quite nice). Gave you a vote on Greenlight, and I think I also just became your first patron on Patreon... so that's something.

Thank you all. Your support is really appreciated!

On 1/25/2016 at 4:23 AM, Fred the Barber said:

Art looks great (particularly the background art), and the music sounds lovely (the sample on Google Drive, since I'm assuming the trailer music isn't representative of the game music, though it's also quite nice). Gave you a vote on Greenlight, and I think I also just became your first patron on Patreon... so that's something.

Ahhh! You're our Patreon! ^^ I hope you enjoy the updates that are coming on there. We've not focused much attention toward it, though with all the content we've been saving up, we'll have lots to share with you there before anywhere else :D

• 6 years later...