Do animals dream when they sleep?

GLM4475

Which of these answers will you choose?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think animals dream when they sleep?

• Yes, they do dream, definitely.
    • No, no way, sleep is only a form of resting their exhausted bodies.
    • I'm not sure, maybe?

This poll is closed to new votes

I was on my way home when I saw a kitten slept so peacefully near my room. It's not unusual to saw a scenery of a cat sleeping but somehow I wonder, do animals dreams when they sleep? We saw in film/movies/mangas/cartoons that they do dream. But all of those are things human made. We should ask themselves to really know the answer. But then how could we ask them that question and understand the answer when we don't understand their language? Then it's only opinions we have about it. Even so, I want to know your opinion on this. If you think they do dream, what kind of dream they have?

I don't really have any scientific data or nothing but I did have a dog that use to cry in her sleep a lot. Just every so often she just started crying and sometime yelping in her sleep and I always just assumed she was having nightmares. My other dog was a run away stray that we think was abused (we never quite knew what happened) and he use to do the same thing.

There was an occasion where my dog suddenly barks, but when I look at him, he's sleeping. And moments later, his feet started move, as if he was running, but with low energy.(probably because he is dreaming) I did nothing but stared at him for a while to check him if he's dreaming, but he didn't move after that.

The more "intelligent" ones do, the less "intelligent" ones probably don't.

The more interesting question is "do androids dream of electric sheep?" :sachi:

The only intelligent ones are dogs. The other ones are all retarded (proof of that is how a lot of cats can't even cross a street without dying, as opposed to many dogs.) So, as cats are dumb, they probably don't dream.

B-B-But I am an animal!

You're not an intelligent animal, thus, you don't dream.

This makes no sense!

Also the amount of cats that cross the street is wayyy higher than the amount of dogs that do that.

This just proves my point. Dogs are intelligent enough to know it is dangerous.

A lot of people can't cross a street without dying too, does that mean humans don't dream?

Huh? Who? 

Compare proportionally to the cats which do this. 

Keep in mind that we teach people who don't understand by themselves that cars are dangerous, and drivers are much more encouraged not to run people over than they are to not run cats over.

Similarly I'd imagine a lot of dogs are trained not to jump in front of cars because when their owner takes them for a walk they can stop them, and last I checked most people don't walk their cats.

Keep in mind that we teach people who don't understand by themselves that cars are dangerous, and drivers are much more encouraged not to run people over than they are to not run cats over.

Similarly I'd imagine a lot of dogs are trained not to jump in front of cars because when their owner takes them for a walk they can stop them, and last I checked most people don't walk their cats.

This is difficult to analyze, then. But my intuition tells me cats are dumb.

This is difficult to analyze, then. But my intuition tells me cats are dumb.

Cats aren't dumb, they domesticate themselves, which is why they don't know a car is dangerous a lot of the times and their instinct when seeing one is to run forward.

Actually, just arguing "which animal is the dumbest" is pretty retarded in itself since they all have different instincts, and unlike humans who have self consciousness and thus have a perceived notion of dumbness, animals just do what their instinct tells them to, and something might look dumb on a human level, but to that animal it's normal.

The only intelligent ones are dogs. The other ones are all retarded (proof of that is how a lot of cats can't even cross a street without dying, as opposed to many dogs.) So, as cats are dumb, they probably don't dream.

Sounds like a very well-thought-out, evidence supported, unbiased study you got there  :makina:  No sweeping generalizations in that one!

I've seen both my cat and dog twitch, move and make noises in their sleep, and my dog did the "running in sleep" thing that all dogs seem to do eventually..  Can't be sure, obviously, but when the same reactions are observed in humans, they're usually dreaming, so it'd be logical to assume that cats and dogs can dream.  REM sleep is said to occur in all mammals and even in birds, according to Wikipedia, so there's another piece of evidence.