Did you know? (GLM's trivia corner)

GLM4475

As the title said, I'll regularly post trivia in this thread, one trivia each time I login. So you may reply with anything concerning the trivia. Then let's start with the first trivia:

Did you know that all the other planets in our solar system could fit inside Jupiter?

As the title said, I'll regularly post trivia in this thread, one trivia each time I login. So you may reply with anything concerning the trivia. Then let's start with the first trivia:

Did you know that all the other planets in our solar system could fit inside Jupiter?

no you cant

gas-giants-inside-jupiter1.png?w=584&h=3

its based on ancient greek poetry and personally i thought that you intended others to add trivia regarding the keyword you mentioned (jupiter in this case).

sry for (falsly) thinking ahead

Oh, you mean, there is such an ancient greek poem? Then I'm sorry for being narrow-minded, so that's true, eh? Then it's ok. Maybe the way I said it is biased but I did say that you may reply with anything concerning the trivia, so your line of thinking's not wrong. Although the reply don't have to be a trivia too, it could be a comment, a question, or other replies.

no you cant

gas-giants-inside-jupiter1.png?w=584&h=3

Hmm, maybe I said it the wrong way. I mean it volume-wise, but my wording "could fit" did imply that the geometry should also be regarded, which would mean that trivia is wrong. However, say, you have containers with the same volume of each one of the planets in our solar system. Then you fill them with anything you want, for example, water. All the water contained in all other containers other than the biggest one could fit inside the biggest container, that has the same volume as Jupiter.

Hmm, maybe I said it the wrong way. I mean it volume-wise, but my wording "could fit" did imply that the geometry should also be regarded, which would mean that trivia is wrong. However, say, you have containers with the same volume of each one of the planets in our solar system. Then you fill them with anything you want, for example, water. All the water contained in all other containers other than the biggest one could fit inside the biggest container, that has the same volume as Jupiter.

it still wont fit, in a 3d size the volume would not fit every planet. you looking at it as numeric number, not the actual size from the 360 degree. In real life if we did have the power to mess around with it, most likely the gas planets will mix together to make a new and bigger planet that can fit all physical planets plus the moons as well as asteroids.

as it stands it cannot fit every planet, number wize it can.

Volume is the way we measure space, so there's nothing wrong with him using it to compare sizes. Also, he's taking about space, not mixing planets. I don't have a fun fact

fun fact, volume is not used in measuring things in space:

angular distance with the help of the sun

The diameter or d/2 = Dsin(α/2) 

where d is the diameter, D is distance to the object, and α is the subtended angle.

and lastly the hard long way,

Satellite Imaging

so ya we "might" have the right size but the numbers might be wrong. Jupiter size is that example of where we could be wrong, we are only human mistakes happen when we counting.

it still wont fit, in a 3d size the volume would not fit every planet. you looking at it as numeric number, not the actual size from the 360 degree. In real life if we did have the power to mess around with it, most likely the gas planets will mix together to make a new and bigger planet that can fit all physical planets plus the moons as well as asteroids.

as it stands it cannot fit every planet, number wize it can.

You're missing my point. What you mean by 360 degree actual size is their geometry, I know that much. That's why I said "I mean it volume-wise, but my wording "could fit" did imply that the geometry should also be regarded, which would mean that trivia is wrong.". In the next sentences, why do you think I used containers as imagery comparison? Because containers are used to contain something, usually fluids. As you know, fluid's geometry always depends on its container. I also didn't mention that the container's geometry should be the same as the planets'. When the container is ball-shaped, the fluid will also be ball-shaped. When the container is cube-shaped, the fluid will also be cube-shaped. When looking at the container's volume filled with fluids, you certainly understand my imagery comparison now, don't you?

Volume is the way we measure space, so there's nothing wrong with him using it to compare sizes. Also, he's taking about space, not mixing planets. I don't have a fun fact

fun fact, volume is not used in measuring things in space:

angular distance with the help of the sun

The diameter or d/2 = Dsin(α/2) 

where d is the diameter, D is distance to the object, and α is the subtended angle.

and lastly the hard long way,

Satellite Imaging

so ya we "might" have the right size but the numbers might be wrong. Jupiter size is that example of where we could be wrong, we are only human mistakes happen when we counting.

About this reply of yours, it didn't really connect with his post. Measurement is the assignment of a number to a characteristic of an object or event, which can be compared with other objects or events. Or more simply, Measurement is finding a number that shows the comparison of something with the others. In physics, this comparative characteristics of an object or event are called Physical QuantitiesVolume and distance are two of these physical quantities. Volume is the quantity of three-dimensional space enclosed by some closed boundary, for example, the space that a substance (solidliquidgas, or plasma) or shape occupies or contains. Meanwhile, distance is a numerical description of how far apart objects are. Diameter, radius, length, depth, width, etc. are variants of distance. Therefore, this reply of yours didn't really connect with his post.

About wrong measurement, surely we are humans so it's natural and inevitable to make mistakes sometime. Measurement will surely has something called measurement error. You can read a detailed explanation of measurement error here, http://www.physics.nmsu.edu/research/lab110g/html/ERRORS.html. You can see there that human error is not the only thing causing measurement result to be not actually exactly the same as its actual value. But humans are able to think, reflect, evaluate, develop, and improve with all their might despite limitations of their abilities, capabilities, time, and resources. Thinking it positively, all data of measurement value we have right now might still far from its actual value, but surely it will get closer and closer to its actual value along with time.

You're missing my point. What you mean by 360 degree actual size is their geometry, I know that much. That's why I said "I mean it volume-wise, but my wording "could fit" did imply that the geometry should also be regarded, which would mean that trivia is wrong.". In the next sentences, why do you think I used containers as imagery comparison? Because containers are used to contain something, usually fluids. As you know, fluid's geometry always depends on its container. I also didn't mention that the container's geometry should be the same as the planets'. When the container is ball-shaped, the fluid will also be ball-shaped. When the container is cube-shaped, the fluid will also be cube-shaped. When looking at the container's volume filled with fluids, you certainly understand my imagery comparison now, don't you?

About this reply of yours, it didn't really connect with his post. Measurement is the assignment of a number to a characteristic of an object or event, which can be compared with other objects or events. Or more simply, Measurement is finding a number that shows the comparison of something with the others. In physics, this comparative characteristics of an object or event are called Physical QuantitiesVolume and distance are two of these physical quantities. Volume is the quantity of three-dimensional space enclosed by some closed boundary, for example, the space that a substance (solidliquidgas, or plasma) or shape occupies or contains. Meanwhile, distance is a numerical description of how far apart objects are. Diameter, radius, length, depth, width, etc. are variants of distance. Therefore, this reply of yours didn't really connect with his post.

About wrong measurement, surely we are humans so it's natural and inevitable to make mistakes sometime. Measurement will surely has something called measurement error. You can read a detailed explanation of measurement error here, http://www.physics.nmsu.edu/research/lab110g/html/ERRORS.html. You can see there that human error is not the only thing causing measurement result to be not actually exactly the same as its actual value. But humans are able to think, reflect, evaluate, develop, and improve with all their might despite limitations of their abilities, capabilities, time, and resources. Thinking it positively, all data of measurement value we have right now might still far from its actual value, but surely it will get closer and closer to its actual value along with time.

no you did not consider the 3D geometry, i have shown you that its impossible to fit every planet in jupiter. You can easy test this theory out in blender, just add the size of each planet and try to fit all of them. No since you are so childish on the topic i'll just post this 3d interactive model.

https://clara.io/view/01b5fb3d-2713-42fa-ac72-707987dccbc4

so there you have it, all the planets cant fit in jupiter.

Yeah go tell NASA that they are wrong "Jupiter is so large that all of the other planets in the solar system could fit inside it."

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/stories/nasa-knows/what-is-jupiter-k4.html

(for some reason the link doesn't always work on the first time so reload the page)

Of course they are, firecat is probably some Nobel prize winning physicist or whatever space people are. Probably trained in gorilla warfare too.

You can't have more than around 8 cylinders on a straight engine, the crankshaft would break if you had more.

Yeah go tell NASA that they are wrong "Jupiter is so large that all of the other planets in the solar system could fit inside it."

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/stories/nasa-knows/what-is-jupiter-k4.html

(for some reason the link doesn't always work on the first time so reload the page)

looks like nasa remove that theory, i keep getting 404.

looks like nasa remove that theory, i keep getting 404.

Looks like someone forgot how to read :sachi: or then you could just google the thing and pick the first result.

7b658c9a843ce6ace65b9558168d682b.png

Looks like someone forgot how to read :sachi: or then you could just google the thing and pick the first result.

7b658c9a843ce6ace65b9558168d682b.png

it talks about jupiter big deal, no wait there NASA they already got information on jupiter. this does not prove anything, jupiter will never be able to hold every planet, i shown you 10 different ways and you noob science believe in something so outrageous that it makes mars wants to go back to being red (reference hit if you know what it means).

it talks about jupiter big deal, no wait there NASA they already got information on jupiter. this does not prove anything, jupiter will never be able to hold every planet, i shown you 10 different ways and you noob science believe in something so outrageous that it makes mars wants to go back to being red (reference hit if you know what it means).

Yeah, I'm sure you know more about Jupiter than NASA.

This is like Okami all over again :makina:

I love every word of it. Fun facts..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Runners sometimes run barefoot to train themselves to run in proper form. Shoes let you land on your heel without pain, but it's not a very good way to run. That's kin of a fun fact I think.

no you did not consider the 3D geometry, i have shown you that its impossible to fit every planet in jupiter. You can easy test this theory out in blender, just add the size of each planet and try to fit all of them. No since you are so childish on the topic i'll just post this 3d interactive model.

https://clara.io/view/01b5fb3d-2713-42fa-ac72-707987dccbc4

so there you have it, all the planets cant fit in jupiter.

Hmm, after reading all I've said, you still don't get what I mean, huh? Okay, I'll say it in easier words to understand: 

The term "could fit" which I used is based on each planet's respective volume only (regardless of their 3D geometry). That's why I used containers as an imagery comparison.

To entertain some people who are curious , I'll show you these numbers which are used to determine how big a planet is compared to the others:

Planet                                         Biggest Diameter                                   Surface Area                                                  Volume 

Mercury                                          4,879 km                                         17.48 x 107 km2                                          6.083 x 1010 km3

Venus                                            12,100 km                                          4.6 x 108 km2                                              9.38 x 1011 km3

Earth                                              12,742 km                                           5.1 x 108 km2                                             1.08 x 1012 km3

Mars                                               6,792 km                                           1.45 x 10km2                                            1.63 x 1011 km3

Jupiter                                           143,000 km                                        6.22 x 1010 km2                                          1.43 x 1015 km3

Saturn                                           120,536 km                                         4.27 x 1010 km2                                         8.27 x 1014 km3

Uranus                                            51,118 km                                          8.1 x 109 km2                                             6.83 x 1013 km3

Neptune                                        49,500 km                                          7.64 x 109km2                                             6.25 x1013 km3

By doing an easy calculation, you can see that:

The volume of all planets (except Jupiter) = 6.083 x 1010 km3 +  9.38 x 1011 km3 + 1.08 x 1012 km3 + 1.63 x 1011 km3 + 8.27 x 1014 km3 + 6.83 x 1013 km3 +  6.25 x1013 km3                                                             = 9.60 × 1014 km3

As you can see on the list, Jupiter's volume is 1.43 x 1015km3 > 9.60 × 1014 km3

Therefore, all the other planets in our solar system could fit inside Jupiter (volume-wise).

If you use biggest diameter, 3D geometry (for this geometry you must NOT assume that planets are sphere or ball-shaped, their actual shape will be more like the shape of an egg) or surface area as the way to compare each planets, my argument still stays true. I said volume-wise after all.

Hmm, after reading all I've said, you still don't get what I mean, huh? Okay, I'll say it in easier words to understand: 

The term "could fit" which I used is based on each planet's respective volume only (regardless of their 3D geometry). That's why I used containers as an imagery comparison.

To entertain some people who are curious , I'll show you these numbers which are used to determine how big a planet is compared to the others:

Planet                                         Biggest Diameter                                   Surface Area                                                  Volume 

Mercury                                          4,879 km                                         17.48 x 107 km2                                          6.083 x 1010 km3

Venus                                            12,100 km                                          4.6 x 108 km2                                              9.38 x 1011 km3

Earth                                              12,742 km                                           5.1 x 108 km2                                             1.08 x 1012 km3

Mars                                               6,792 km                                           1.45 x 10km2                                            1.63 x 1011 km3

Jupiter                                           143,000 km                                        6.22 x 1010 km2                                          1.43 x 1015 km3

Saturn                                           120,536 km                                         4.27 x 1010 km2                                         8.27 x 1014 km3

Uranus                                            51,118 km                                          8.1 x 109 km2                                             6.83 x 1013 km3

Neptune                                        49,500 km                                          7.64 x 109km2                                             6.25 x1013 km3

By doing an easy calculation, you can see that:

The volume of all planets (except Jupiter) = 6.083 x 1010 km3 +  9.38 x 1011 km3 + 1.08 x 1012 km3 + 1.63 x 1011 km3 + 8.27 x 1014 km3 + 6.83 x 1013 km3 +  6.25 x1013 km3                                                             = 9.60 × 1014 km3

As you can see on the list, Jupiter's volume is 1.43 x 1015km3 > 9.60 × 1014 km3

Therefore, all the other planets in our solar system could fit inside Jupiter (volume-wise).

If you use biggest diameter, 3D geometry (for this geometry you must NOT assume that planets are sphere or ball-shaped, their actual shape will be more like the shape of an egg) or surface area as the way to compare each planets, my argument still stays true. I said volume-wise after all.

ya real original, copying from http://www.universetoday.com/35960/size-of-the-planets/