What are you reading? Untranslated edition

Funnerific

15 hours ago, XReaper said:

personally i found its bad endings to have been the little more satisfying ones.

Which endings do you consider "bad"? It's not that clear since there is a lot moral ambiguity.
To be honest, the good ending and the true ending had the biggest impact on me. I already wrote a 2000 words wall of text to @Deep Blue discussing the novel ^^, so I will make it short this time: Natsu no Kusari is by far the best eroge I've read in recent years.

15 hours ago, Bolverk said:

One guy commented to me how kusari could be good when it's so short. Interesting question honestly. I think it didn't really need to be longer. It told what it wanted to tell. You could have added more stuff and such. But I think it's complete as it is. Few works can really say they've managed to do so.

Usually, I like short novels far better than the longer ones, simply because I can't stand filler material.

I started reading Inochi no Spare and it really offends me.

The story in that game doesn't make any sense. It's not just stupid, it's offendingly stupid. It's offending because it uses a real problem and uses it for cheap drama. It's offending because it assumes that the reader wants cheap drama without any substance.
You need to be intellectual retarded to actually care for the characters or the story. And that's offending because the theme of the game is far too serious to make light use of it.

The core theme of Inochi no Spare is that parents force their childs to give their lives for the older sibling. And that is just offending. It doesn't make any sense. No parent would do this. This is not a real existing problem in our society.
To compare it with the movie My Sister's Keeper which has a similar story: The mother would NEVER expect her child to die for her sister. NEVER. She expects her to help her sister, but not to die for her. That's a real existing moral dilemma. That makes sense. But the writer of Inochi no Spare tried to make the DRAMA more extreme and instead of just "helping" the sister she now needs to "die" for her. And that is just nonsense. It's offending. It's ridiculous that the writer and Akabei Soft 3 even thought that this would be a good idea. And that the reader would fall for this nonsense.
How socially retarded must one be to be emotionally involved in such a forced melodrama with no logic or real world resemblance? You really need to live in a 2D world to accept BS like this.

Well, I hate Akabei Soft 3 and all their games anyway, so this wasn't really a surprise for me. If there is one eroge company which stands for anything that is wrong with modern eroge, it's probably Akabei Soft 3. (And Silky's Plus close behind lol).

3 hours ago, Tyrosyn said:

The core theme of Inochi no Spare is that parents force their childs to give their lives for the older sibling.

I haven't read the novel but the premise doesn't look that impossible to me... depends on how everything plays out... ofc the law will never permit something like this, it would be an homicide.

8 hours ago, Tyrosyn said:

Well, I hate Akabei Soft 3 and all their games anyway, so this wasn't really a surprise for me. If there is one eroge company which stands for anything that is wrong with modern eroge, it's probably Akabei Soft 3. (And Silky's Plus close behind lol).

Yeah, I'm currently not a big fan of them either. Seikishi Melty ☆ Lovers was such a cheap cash grab that it really soured my mood. Especially considering that it happened shortly after the Juukishi Cutie ☆ Bullet incident. It's obvious that they pull dirty tricks to save money.

So, finally finished Tonoko's route in Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no.
I'm rather disappointed. It wasn't bad, but compared to Miyabi's route, it was really boring. When I read Miyabi's route, I couldn't stop until I was obligated, and I really enjoyed it. But for Tonoko's route, even if it wasn't bad, I just couldn't invest myself in it. Heck, the parts with the aircaft where so boring I skipped quite a number of lines. I didn't really like the way their relationship developed too, but I liked to have Tonoko's POV.
But the biggest minus was: I LOVE LIDA (And Miyabi) TOO MUCH!!! Lida appeared only 4 times in Tonoko's route. T_T (Well, she is only a main character in Miyabi's route :/)

Anyway, that's it. I hope Shino's route will be better.

Bonus: I laughed so much when this happened (NSFW)

7 hours ago, Riku said:

So, finally finished Tonoko's route in Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no.

Tonoko?  There was a Tonoko? (goes and looks it up)

Oh, her.  Yeah, I barely remember her now.  Didn't like her, or her route, very much.  Then again, compared to the Miyabi and the others, it'd be hard to make her good.

Still better than Yuuna, though.

20 hours ago, Toranth said:

Tonoko?  There was a Tonoko? (goes and looks it up)

Oh, her.  Yeah, I barely remember her now.  Didn't like her, or her route, very much.  Then again, compared to the Miyabi and the others, it'd be hard to make her good.

Still better than Yuuna, though.

There are so many opinions on the internet. Between those who say that Yuuna is almost as good as Miyabi, and you who say that Tonoko is better than Yuuna. Actually, the only common feature I found in the reviews is that Sumika's route is the worst. I only intended to read Takehaya's part, but it seems that Misaki's route expand on Tsukasa's past, so now I want to read it. And many like Yuuna's route, so I want to at least try it.

I think I will read Shino's route normally (from a review I saw, her POV is often used, and I like that!), and speedread (well, skip lines I don't deem as important) Misaki's and Yuuna's routes.

Also, it seems that once you finished all the routes, an epilogue appear in the Title screen. One for each heroine, or only one for everyone?

My first otomege I've read so far. So hard for me to say what to think of this vn compared to other vn's in the genre.
Anyhow. I found it pretty good. Put simply it has a setting where the protag is a girl and otaku. But she hides that and is all serious and ass straight in school. Inside she has rather hilarious dialogue because of this.

I was actually surprised how the vn is actually quite serious in some ways about the setting of the protag. Rather than just making good comedy out of it. It is played on in different ways in each of the routes mostly rather nicely. It's not amazing or anything like that. But enjoyable. The vn is mainly romance focused. 

Rather curiously for me. Playing a otomege for girls, while I am a dude. I found myself being a bitch while looking at the dude-heroines. I was basically like: Protag, Stop, talking, to this dude. He's disgusting, きもい、きもい。fuck off. Rather hilarious/interesting experience. Reminds me of when I first started playing vns.

Some stuff I liked as well was how it was different in from normal 18+ games (eroges) for dudes. You had a nice amount of cg's. Most of the cgs are used to show the characters in a scene or something like that. Usually being hilarious, moe, or something. Eroges then to just have the majority of the cg's on h-scenes or silly 20 sec scenes. Reminds me how well the cg's were used in subahibi.
Instead of the icha icha scenes at the end, which are pretty common in eroges. The game just ends when they kiss. Glorious I say.
Although. Instead of icha icha you have these dudes being shy and all throughout. Wtf. Gay. Lewl. 

押井 有  きもい!死ね!姉崎 隼 うげえ、死ね!希美は可愛いだけど、ワイフだぜ。

Finished Shino's route. It took me time because I had things to do, and, in the end, I wasn't interested enough to read non-stop. It wasn't bad. Aside from the first half where Shino isn't that likeable (well, it can still count as cute for some people), the second half was rather good. I really liked the extensive use of Shino's POV, which is like, half the route. It's interesting to have the girl's POV rather than the MC's. (It's also done in Miyabi's and Tonoko's routes, but not as much) Some good moments and good lines too (particulary one in the first H-scene. In the context, it was one of the best line a girl could ever say to the MC. Really romantic)

In the end, I think I'll stop now. I don't think I'll gain much by doing the other routes. Also, at first, I only wanted to do Takehaya's part, so my objective is done.

EDIT: Finally, after seeing the CGs, I kinda want to read Misaki's route... Guess I'll just set the VN aside for now and come back to it later.

I jumped straight into Gore Screaming Show when I was done with nikuniku and  I fucking love this already, like really. It sets up the premise right at the start and you get to go into the character routes immediately it seems, I really cant see what to not love about this VN so far apart from the rather awkward artstyle at times (oh yeah and also GORE <3333333).

Im dying to play more and this doesnt really happen often to me since I for the most part need to get the plot going, but this just kicks in right from the start.

ALSO THE PROTAG IS AMAZING YEAAA KYOUJI!

Completed multiple short vns in jp. Narcissu, True Remembrance and Phenomeno . They have english translations. But I am like: "Eng vn's? What's that? Do you mean OELVN?"  <Jp only 4 laifu, I haz no choice>

Completed Baldr Bullet as well. Rather interesting read in the context of it being the first "baldr" game. It's rough in the edges. Really short but with a lot of stuff put into it. So it feels rather like.. Why didn't they do more here? They don't go too deeply in the setting and such either. Making the experience feel light. Leaves you a tad too unsatisfied, combined with the short length of the vn.

Still. It was an enjoyable ride honestly. Good action. Funky sci-fi stuff, although it was sadly gone over too quickly. Good old Baldr gameplay. Military setting, I love that. Also most H-scenes have like 6+ CG's in 2 mins *laughs*. 

This game feels a bit like BSZ in how the plot and people are really silly. But it has sci-fi stuff and setting is interesting. But BB gameplay keeps being fun and doesn't break. Also it doesn't have much "pointless" scenes either. So I found myself enjoying BB more than BSZ, even with all its flaws.

I have been reading Tokage no Shippo Kiri recently, but after doing most of Kanau's route, I had to take a break. I'm really enjoying the game, but since the last 3-4 games I played were all psychological guro titles, this is really wearing me down. There is something about the MC that is just messing with my head atm, lol. Will get around to finishing it later on though. So far it has been very good.

In the meantime I felt like I needed something lighter, and I have started reading Shuffle essence+, finally. I loved Shuffle back when I read it the first time, and always wanted a Kareha and Mayumi route. Now I get to play them, yay! The new heroines seem interesting too, though they have had little screentime in the part I have played so far. Went through the common route all over again, as the new version has a few new scenes, and I'm now just starting Mayumi's route. (My favorite character in Shuffle.) Can't wait to read more. (I haven't read much, and yet she has already broken the 4th wall like 3-4 times. So great :wahaha: )

1 hour ago, Deep Blue said:

I tried to read white album 2, it was a bit hard to follow and the theme overall didnt click for me(musical themes are not my thing), to spend so much effort into it is not worth it... I'm finally going to play ashita no yukinojou (while finishing hinata's route in giniro)

I'm reading it right now and it's hardly about music. You should watch the anime for the introductory chapter, it does a lot of things better.

1 hour ago, Deep Blue said:

I tried to read white album 2, it was a bit hard to follow and the theme overall didnt click for me(musical themes are not my thing), to spend so much effort into it is not worth it... I'm finally going to play ashita no yukinojou (while finishing hinata's route in giniro)

Who was Hinata again...?

I've been steadily reading 灰と幻想のグリムガル (actually a light novel, not a VN). Really been enjoying it for what it is: a party-based RPG fantasy story with heavy character focus. Glad it actually occurred to someone to write a story like this.

I plan to read Omega no Shikai -Shiki no Hajimari next. The OP/ED's are great (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHQ4YaQAyyI) , and I have faith in the doujin producer to make something good and engrossing.

though I might try Tokage no Shippo Kiri for psychological gore.. 

I was thinking about playing 滅び朽ちる世界に追憶の花束を but it's slightly similar in emotion to 灰と幻想のグリムガル so that's on hold.

1 hour ago, Funnerific said:

I'm reading it right now and it's hardly about music. You should watch the anime for the introductory chapter, it does a lot of things better.

Mmm, I see.
I read on vndb that I need to read all the routes to fully understand everything and right now I cant handle a 50> hour vn I want something short rather short, like ashita no yukito "main route" (kasuga's route) and maybe another one too but that's it, also it looks quite good so far. If I get really get hooked up with the intro chapter anime I might read it then.  

1 hour ago, Chronopolis said:

Who was Hinata again...?

I've been steadily reading 灰と幻想のグリムガル (actually a light novel, not a VN). Really been enjoying it for what it is: a party-based RPG fantasy story with heavy character focus. Glad it actually occurred to someone to write a story like this.

I plan to read Omega no Shikai -Shiki no Hajimari next. The OP/ED's are great (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHQ4YaQAyyI) , and I have faith in the doujin producer to make something good and engrossing.

I was thinking about playing 滅び朽ちる世界に追憶の花束を but it's slightly similar in emotion to 灰と幻想のグリムガル so that's on hold.

I'm talking about giniro haruka and not the giniro from nekoneko, I really want to read the real "giniro" but since the music is terrible loud to the point of not letting you hear anything else (I even tried to modify the nscripter config file without any luck) I just can't play it right now.

I think xreaper told me that 滅び朽ちる世界に追憶の花束を was pretty good

On 16.9.2016 at 7:33 AM, Chronopolis said:

took me long enough rallying for others to also experience the greatness that is nekobanana´s omega no shikai. no regrets so far. last entry is awesome as well. think i´ll write some lines after having seen it through, though there´re still circletempo´s w-standart wonderland and re-world3 which need to be finished first, heck i did even switch over to liquid food, for having at least little more time at my disposal...

btw i strongly suggest you taking your time whilst reading the series above, partly confusing as hell/ a clusterfuck of weirdness and totally not suited as something to be done on the sidelines. i also recommend you non marathonning its entries, one after another, to prevent them from loosing impact and their charms as well. anyway enjoy!

edit. heathen, burn for non feeling like start reading 滅び朽ちる世界に追憶の花束を. it´s a straight kamige, comparable to himawari in terms of impact. not even your fondness coming to grimgar will save your soul. damn you.

On 16.9.2016 at 9:05 AM, Deep Blue said:

... and right now I cant handle a 50> hour vn I want something short rather short...

in case you are no fag priorizing shiny-visuals over actual writings, a thing which i´m rather sure of you aren´t, please and by all means try going for the stunningly written 茜街奇譚 -Akanemachi kitan-. quite confident there said work would please your longing for the unique and atmospherically intense more than enough, despite being not that long of a read itself. it´s a story of great dept and more close to a traditional novel, which is also reflected in the quality of writing. the story is mainly told in 3rd person narrative, though it switches to 1st person if needed, and does also make (rudimentary) use of effects when coming to pivotal parts, albeit no flashy ones.
quite confident there in the shockingly poor tastes of mine, that in retrospect, this is not a works of fiction you personally would have wanted to have missed out on reading through. enjoy!

Finally started reading ashita no yukinojou, I'm like 40% into serina's route, so far it's pretty interesting and I really like the protagonist. I'm going to do taeko and sanae's route after serina because they seem really interesting too (maybe even leona but I'm not very sure right now)
It's been a while since I played a novel with map movement (really easy to figure out because it actually tells you what heroine are you going to encounter if you go to X place)