What are you reading? Untranslated edition

Funnerific

1 minute ago, Kawasumi said:

Playing monster girl raising sim by vanadis, as if I didnt have enough VNs going at the same time already >_>.

its not really special or good, but cute monster girls calling you papa was too much to resist.

Good, good :makina:

Who'd you end up choosing first?

(Can you hook the game, by the way?)

I personally couldn't hook it, though because of the simple language in the game I don't really have a need for it anywyas. Having to look up a few words manually here and there is annoying though, so if you have an H-code or something, do share.

Pii best girl.

laTxrnj.png

Just finished Iyo's route. That's what I was waiting for! Damn now I'm hyped for the True (Akaneko) route!

Though, if I had to say, I was disappointed by the romance in this route. The fact that I didn't particulary like Iyo aside, nothing really happens to make "straight Iyo" fall for "girl Tomo", and the romance in itself wasn't good. (imo)

Tomorrow (well, today now) is a pretty busy day, so I guess I should be able to finish wednesday. Then fandisc, really want to do Yenfei and Megumu's routes!

Edited by Riku

38 minutes ago, Riku said:

Tomorrow (well, today now) is a pretty busy day, so I guess I should be able to finish wednesday. Then fandisc, really want to do Yenfei and Megumu's routes!

You're in for some good stuff.  The True route is awesome... and Yenfei's route in the FD is good, too (although I may be biased there).

And finished! The True route was really good and I really enjoyed it. (Well, there were moments I was kinda frustrated by what happens, but that's mainly because we know things from the other routes, so it's a little frustrating to see the characters struggle)

Now, the thing is I'm kinda satisfied with the ending (Aside from "that", but overall it does make it better rather than an ultimate happy ending), and I'd want to read the FD only for Megumu and Yenfei. Is it really worth it? Does it really add to the story?

Also, considering the word play of the title, I wonder why Rui wasn't the main heroine? Was kinda sad she degraded to naïve hungry girl after the first route made you like her. :/

Edited by Riku

Yeah, I never understood why a game named after Rui had Akaneko as the romance in the True route.  In fact, I don't understand why they had any romance in the True route - it certainly didn't need it.

As for the fandisk, well... The RuiTomo fandisk is fun, at least.  You might say it's more of the same, for the most part, but you do get to see more of some of the other characters.

• There's a slice-of-life mystery story involving the main cast that's just an extended excuse to see more of the characters being themselves.
  • There're the sub-character routes (Yenfei, Megymu, and Miyawa).
  • There's also the obligatory "Excuse for H-scenes with the main cast" story, which actually has real, canon, backstory and character development of a sadly neglected character in it.

I think it's worth it, but I'm a huge fan of the game in general.  It sounds like you enjoyed the main game, so I expect you'll enjoy the fandisk - but there is nothing amazing about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Karehana

This vn is suited for readers who don't want to invest so much time in reading, but still seeks for a good solid story. Unfortunately, it hit several of my pet peeves (moege-type art, lack of comedy and tsundere scenes, vague setting) so I wasn't immersed enough, and didn't shed some tears. ……薄情者め

To be honest the real thing starts after you finish the game lol いやいや楽しかった…

Spoiler

Kotose route (After): 

PADQTdl.png

Akari route:

7ekDe5h.png

hlabpUZ.png

WWXwwlS.png

Harem route:

ezc50R2.png

Edited by melo4496

Playing Sen No Hatou right now. Despite it's one of notorious ladder-style, I did enjoy each game made by this company including Aiyoku no Eustia. Well you can't imagine how disappointed was I after finishing Hotori route of Sen no Hatou. It feels like August-soft care less and less individual story for each side character anymore. Although the disappointment, I'm still enjoying myself so far, almost finishing Kanami's route. Have been a fan of August-soft for quite sometimes yet I couldn't hold on to myself due to my high expectation. Sigh. Well gonna finish the game and hope that the "one and only True Route" will lives up to its name. 

Huh, this thread is still a thing? I guess I should post here instead of the regular thread, where I just talk to myself all the time, haha.

My reading is kind of a mess at the moment - from stalled VNs to slowly reading a bunch at the same time - really need to start wrapping things up. The stalled VNs are Bradyon Veda, which despite it's cool premise just comes across as really dry and generally not that fun to read; SakuUta, where I finished one route and am just keeping the rest when I can invest all my time into it and Shin Hayarigami 2, which is just an overall disappointment compared to the first reboot... it's pretty funny to have the exact opposite reaction to something than the general reception. Hooray for shit taste!

As for stuff I'm actually reading:
YU-NO (remake) - enjoying this one a whole lot; all I have left to finish is the epilogue, which was now throwing me for a loop for a few hours; no idea where it is going anymore, which is great!
Eve Burst Error R - another remake of an old VN; reading this only because it was on PS+, and I'm not enjoying it that much to be perfectly honest
Net High - finished the first case here, and so far this shit is hilarious; I can only hope the game can hold this pace till the end, and keep the memes coming

And I think that's about it, at least for things I am reading on a regular basis... I should be done with YU-NO really soon, and then I can probably finish the other.... haha, no... I will just start Saihate no Ima. :vinty: But hey, I finished Sui after over 300 hours and a year of suffering, I can finish anything... r-right?

EDIT: Finished YU-NO. I had some reservations about the plot, but overall I've enjoyed it a great deal. It's hard to think this story is over 20 years old, as it still feels quite unique today - and most definitely does things you will have a hard time coming across now. As for the remake itself, this is as good as remakes can get. The new art is great (fight me), there are animated sequences, the new OST is great, while still giving you the option to switch to the old one, the newly recorded VAs are miles above the Saturn ones in terms of quality, and most importantly, they managed to make the game actually playable without changing the systems in any fundamental way. Finished the game and got a 100% completion rate on the flowchart without having to rely on a walkthrough; and all it really took was adding iccons to interactive objects.

Overall, a strong 9/10 from me. For something so old it holds up incredibly well from a story standpoint, and funnily enough the remake puts it above even recent VNs from the technical one. If you ever wanted to read this gem, or even just wanted to see what inspired so many of the VN classics, now is the time.

Edited by Vokoca

On 02/04/2017 at 1:07 PM, MFrost said:

PrimaStella Not bad, but I wish that there was a way to make the window bigger. It doesn't seem to like to be Full Screen for me for some reason.

Oh hey someone's playing the same thing I am. Love the relatively H heavy storylines and their storytelling of sexual tension, though it's actually a bit milder in this than some of their other games. H'ing all the girls as part of the common route was a refreshing change. The secret box that you unlock extra H scenes is most welcome, bringing other beautiful babes into the H'able category. I think my favourite ended up being Tomoe. There's also a fandisk but you should also play sarasarasasara first after Prima since it's a fandisk of both PrimaStella and Sara*.

Sorry can't help you on the full screen front since I'm playing it on linux, though I do usually set my screen to a 4:3 resolution before setting it to fullscreen myself which seems to help.

6 hours ago, ittaku said:

Oh hey someone's playing the same thing I am. Love the relatively H heavy storylines and their storytelling of sexual tension, though it's actually a bit milder in this than some of their other games. H'ing all the girls as part of the common route was a refreshing change. The secret box that you unlock extra H scenes is most welcome, bringing other beautiful babes into the H'able category. I think my favourite ended up being Tomoe. There's also a fandisk but you should also play sarasarasasara first after Prima since it's a fandisk of both PrimaStella and Sara*.

Sorry can't help you on the full screen front since I'm playing it on linux, though I do usually set my screen to a 4:3 resolution before setting it to fullscreen myself which seems to help.

I don't suppose there's a walkthrough for it anywhere, is there? I'm only at the moment when he's introduced to the heroines right now, and before, VNR had the community subs that helped, they stopped right around the first or second choice. I think I'd like Tomoe or Miyabi best.
And yep, I know of Sara sara sasara. I wanted to play that first, but PrimaStella finished sooner than that one did, so here I am. Saving the best Shrine Maidens for last!

I'm guessing though that the little ringring after a choice I make tends to be favorable ones?

Edited by MFrost

On 4/1/2017 at 8:07 PM, MFrost said:

PrimaStella Not bad, but I wish that there was a way to make the window bigger. It doesn't seem to like to be Full Screen for me for some reason.

I hate Shizuka so much....

I like the other girls though, Miyabi & Tomoe especially. Tomoe is just a nice, enjoyable girl. I'm at the scandal part so far, Miyabi hasn't been given much screen time.

I guess it's about time for a little status report on my Japanese VN's...

30960.jpg

So, I finished Unionism Quartet A3 after months, and I think I've rarely seen a fan disc that deserves the name "Fan Disc" as much as this one, since it's pretty much all about fan service with a short story for pretty much all main and side heroines. While it's story wise just a pale shadow of the original with an overly cheesy and simplistic pick heroine structure, if you just take it for what it is - a fan service heavy fan disc - then it's still quite decent because it has at least a lot of content for that with about 14 heroine routes of varying lengths. I read most of the major ones and about half of the minor ones spread over several months and that way is was still kind of enjoyable. Despite being quite fan service heavy, the VN kept a certain dignity and you still had to go through a romance phase before getting the girl. That clearly separates it from a plain nukige. Though I was definitely a bit pissed that the routes for the main heroines in the original were no after stories and just inferior versions instead.

Anyway, since I still kind of enjoyed it for it was, I rate with an admittedly slightly biased 7/10. Definitely only for fans of the original who are fine with just getting lots of fan service.

27668.jpg

I'm also about half way through Ikusa Megami Verita somewhere in chapter 5. Gameplay wise it got some nice improvements over Zero with additional alchemistic upgrade options that peaked in the later Kamidori. The visuals are also a lot better than in Zero and almost on par with Kamidori. Besides that however, my experience with it was more on a sobering note. For one thing, the game forces you to grind a lot more than Zero which had a pretty good balance between story and gameplay, and for another thing it has two protagonists. I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of multiple protagonists but they can definitely work in a normal VN. However, having two protagonists in an already grind heavy game with two completely separate parties to level up is certainly one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen. Not even considering the absurd fact that the two separate parties are partly sharing the same inventory, the story pacing comes to an absolute crawl and you constantly loose touch to your characters.

And if that wouldn't already be enough, there isn't much story and narrative text to begin with, and what's there isn't good. You have two good-for-nothings randomly running around fighting some faceless villains nobody cares about. Ekria on Celica's side and Karian on Louie's side are pretty much the only and pretty bland main heroines, with the other female party members not even getting any dialog. The only interesting characters so far are Haishera who is unfortunately stuck in Celica's stupid sword and Luna who isn't even a fixed member of a party and just shows up from time to time. And lots of random H-scenes thrown in which was a problem Zero also had although they are a least not as dark as in Zero. But at least Zero HAD a story although I did have lots of issues how it was written.

I stalled it for a bit since I got tired of the grinding but will probably still end up finishing it since I kinda like Luna and Haishera's comments are still entertaining. But considering it has neither the story merits of Zero, nor the charming heroines and good romance of Kamidori, it'll probably end up my least favorite Eushully title so far.

30688.jpg

I also gave Alicesoft's new Heartful Maman a try, but while it does share some similarities with the former Tsumamigui 3 it turned out a much weaker title I didn't really like. While Tsumamigui's character's and setting was still comparatively normal, this one's characters where almost creepy and had more than just a few screw's loose. :blink: Probably because it was more targeted to the NTR fans. And not to mention lots of endless repeated scene's and the akward mother fetish. Though I still have to give it to AliceSoft that they know how to create a certain tension by denial. So, final grade: 5.5/10

25896.jpg

Anyway, following the upcoming release of Nizuma Lovely & Cation, I've now started playing Lovely x Cation 2. I liked the first one quite a bit last year and the second one is supposed to be even better so I'm quite optimistic about it. :rolleyes:

Edited by ChaosRaven

On 10.4.2017 at 1:47 PM, ChaosRaven said:

Though I still have to give it to AliceSoft that they know how to create a certain tension by denial.

I don't get this. One of the biggest flaws of AliceSoft is that literally every female character is a slut. While hentai scenes are arguably well-written and quite erotic, the development to get to these scenes is pretty much always superficial and predictable.

There is no aspect of grooming in the process of netoriing an AliceSoft heroine, and there is no resistance when she gets NTR'd.
I mean, yes, those whores look damn hot when they are doing it but could they at least say "no" in the beginning and try to make it sound a little bit believable?

So yeah, there is no tension at all in AliceSoft games and certainly not a tension by denial.
If you think I'm wrong, please show me counter-examples.

1 hour ago, Tyrosyn said:

So yeah, there is no tension at all in AliceSoft games and certainly not a tension by denial.
If you think I'm wrong, please show me counter-examples.

I'm certainly not an expert for AliceSoft games, so I can only speak for last years Tsumamigui 3 and the recent Heartful Maman. Those two and the older Oyako Rankan are technically dating sims with NTR elements and probably quite different to the Rance series.

What I meant is that you have to go through several dating stages until you get the full H program (meaning penetrative sex). Before that, it might just start with a simple kiss, then a boob job and so on. The main difference to a common nukige is that it can take quite some until you get there and it starts with rather softcore stuff first. This combined with the fact that the heroines tend to be more seductive than innocent and actively try to provoke you creates a certain tension that's simply lacking from your typical run of the mill eroge. Though it certainly depends on what someone considers as arousing. It's certainly different to the tension created in more violent VN's where girls are victimized like from Black Lilth or Clockup for example.

Edited by ChaosRaven

7 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

The main difference to a common nukige is that it can take quite some until you get there and it starts with rather softcore stuff first. This combined with the fact that the heroines tend to be more seductive than innocent and try to provoke you creates a certain tension.

Ah, now I see what you mean. Yes, this is certainly something you won't really find in moe-eroge.
I'm not against flirtatious women. But I guess I would like them to not be so obvious with the fact that if you just visit them often enough, you will eventually get in their panties. I would like them to have a line they don't want to cross initially, so it feels more like "conquering" the woman and not just being persistent with your advances.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's been more than a month and I still didn't read RuiTomo's FD. Instead, I read what I wanted to read since finishing Hatsuyuki Sakura, Kisaragi Gold Star. And well, I was disappointed

It's not bad, it's just so average and sometimes almost boring. It does have good scenes and good comedy, but it's not enough to make it a great VN. I heard the True Route was really good and was really disppointed. The comedy was truly great, but the route itself wasn't that amazing.

Anyway, in the end it's just my opinion, so some people might like it more than me. The thing is, though, that now, aside from Floral Flowlove I don't feel like reading another Saga Plantes VN...

As for the next VN I'll read, as I have tests next week, I guess I'll read something short and light hearted amongst the VNs I have: Natsuiro Recipe, or Yomegami, or World Election or Okiba ga Nai.

I guess it'll most likely be Natsuiro Recipe as apparently only one route is worth reading, so it'll be quick to read.

And yeah, dunno if I'll really read RuiTomo's FD one day...

Re-read Leyline 1. I just love this series. The pacing is great. The ADV feel is strong making the reader excited to know what will happen next as Tokusa solve the cases. I'll rate this as a page-turner if this is a book. The manner of how the writer gave/hid the information necessary for foreshadowing in what would someone normally consider as just a simple Tsukkomi-boke or slice of life conversation is just... awesome. Everything is connected. すごいし言えん :lol:

For someone who value comedy elements in VNs, I'd say the comedy here is top-notch. Shimoneta is not used in the game, which is rather unique as most VNs depend on that for laughs. I love shimoneta too though.

I just realized that this VN is rather short, like around 12 hrs I think.

Also, for readers who love twists, this VN is right up your alley. 

Anyway, the world needs more tsunderes. http://i.imgur.com/RCCUmEs.png

I'll now go to either Totono / Inochi no spare / Onigokko.