What are you reading? Untranslated edition

Funnerific

Decided to start up ChuSinGura 46+1 yesterday, and basically got hooked right away... This game is great. I don't think I have read this much of an untranslated novel in one sitting before. (Which is odd, as this game has some pretty annoying old-time speech, which makes it harder than the standard moege-like stuff I usually read. Luckily what I know of Japanese history is helping out quite a lot with all the historical terms and what not, making it a bit easier.)

The art is really pretty, and the characters are so great. It's also pretty crazy just how many characters have sprites with multiple expressions and poses... with that + all the CGs in the game, all the voice acting and what not, the production costs for this had to be pretty crazy. Which is why I'm glad I chose to play the JP version and not the butchered English version... That version just doesn't do this game justice.

Despite the fact that the game is a bit silly at times, the overall plot is really interesting, and pretty darn emotionally engaging.

For instance, this scene was pretty heartbreaking...

Spoiler

11Pro3P.png

VTyV0Fn.png

r1g9O68.png

Can't wait to keep reading.

If only I didn't have a pile of homework I need to do, I could just sit down all day with this. Grrr, damn you 大学!!! :wafuu:  

Natsu no Ame: visual novels were a mistake (important CG, NSFW)

That aside, I expected something like Yosuga no Sora and the drama type was indeed similar, but it doesn't have as much atmosphere and lacks the voiced narration with perspective switch to heroines which was one of the best things about YnS.

Edited by Funnerific

Hey guys, I just finished playing Eiyuu Senki Gold, which is the first untranslated VN I've read all the way through and I liked it a lot, and on this occasion I'd like to thank my friends and family, as well as my now complete harem of gender-bent historical waifus, without them I wouldn't have made it that far.

Seriously though, it was really gratifying and I'm gonna keep at it, actually I got Kami no Rhapsody and am now proceeding to get mind raped by the exposition scene (Sorry about that, mr. Narrator, I might have to do some research on that one, I don't understand shit)

In the middle of playing 闇鍋企画 (combined sequel/fandisk to 魔法少女 and some other works).

Not much to say, except I'm really happy to see the characters get more time on the stage. Some of the characters were hard to understand in their original works, in this title you get to see more of them.

It has a lot of character interactions, some moving moments, but also a fair bit of amusing comedy.

Spoiler

zhNkgq1.png

The title ルーティ's from is mainly a comedy clusterfuck, and so she's a hopelessly 空気読めない character. シリウス on the other hand is the main protag of another work. A walking hero, if anything.

Edited by Chronopolis

So, I'm still reading Eustia slowly but surely, and I should be able to reach the end of the 4th arc in a few days. Until there, I didn't read the heroines' ends (Didn't want to be disappointed), but I think I saw in a few reviews that at least Licia's end was good and worth to read. Should I read her end before going for the true, or read it after?

As for the VN itself, it's rather good. Not as good as I hoped because of its popularity, but still quite good. I'm only really disappointed that I kinda "abandonned" the other heroines on the side after they fell for Caim. Like @Clephas , I'm not fond of the ladder-style.

Edited by Riku

31 minutes ago, Riku said:

So, I'm still reading Eustia slowly but surely, and I should be able to reach the end of the 4th arc in a few days. Until there, I didn't read the heroines' ends (Didn't want to be disappointed), but I think I saw in a few reviews that at least Licia's end was good and worth to read. Should I read her end before going for the true, or read it after?

As for the VN itself, it's rather good. Not as good as I hoped because of its popularity, but still quite good. I'm only really disappointed that I kinda "abandonned" the other heroines on the side after they fell for Caim. Like @Clephas , I'm not fond of the ladder-style.

More or less my feeling...it only gets worse as the VN goes on.

Recently finished 装甲悪鬼村正 - really one of a kind VN which I've read so far (aside from it being probably the longest and hardest thing I've read), that average vndb rating doesn't lie!

At first I was a bit concerned with all the relations with the other Nitroplus titles, but it turns out to be nothing major (aside from some hilarious scenes involving the protag).

There are some minor nitpick/complaints about a couple of things though aside from the moral discussions/infodumping, the final route had a couple of what I could describe as epic battles which were skipped over along with some choices in places which required a bit of guessing.

More specific examples/comments (major spoilers alert!):

Spoiler

I wanted to see Sayo vs Jouan in the final route, it kinda ended showing Sayo around in the true end so I'd imagine Jouan lost (though Kageaki did say to Chachamaru "I have a feeling I won't see him again"). They also sort of skipped over how Ichijou and Kanae stood against the silver star spawns along with the fight between Doushin and Hikaru.

The choices in Revenge Volume during the Konatsu battles were... a little bit too hard to get right without a few guesses. The Shishiku battle choices were quite logical which I didn't pick up without actually thinking over it.

The backstory of Yagenta/Ukyou/Ichihime was a little hard to grasp in chapter 2, good thing that didn't turned into an important element or maybe there's some dots I haven't connected there - that bit of infodumping (maybe just the way they spoke) was particular brutal on non native Japanese speakers along with Suzukawa's lectures in the first chapter/Sayo's voice impersonation in second chapter.

In the Ichijou route, the very last scene before the credits roll with the final skill from Masamune was not explained very well (maybe it's just me not understanding the details again), from the Epilogue I figured out the result but I just didn't get what that final skill was.

That cube puzzle in the final route was so random! Also it was strange to read the epilogue before the Akki route.

Overall, awesome VN, there are some very unforgettable moments -  これは英雄の物語ではない.

2 hours ago, Riku said:

All non-Eustia endings are insanely small packs of SoL and H intended to give the minimal possible conclusion. It's highly recommended you do them as you go along, because going back to it after seeing the true end WILL suck.

5 hours ago, Jartse said:

Recently finished 装甲悪鬼村正 - really one of a kind VN which I've read so far (aside from it being probably the longest and hardest thing I've read), that average vndb rating doesn't lie!

At first I was a bit concerned with all the relations with the other Nitroplus titles, but it turns out to be nothing major (aside from some hilarious scenes involving the protag).

There are some minor nitpick/complaints about a couple of things though aside from the moral discussions/infodumping, the final route had a couple of what I could describe as epic battles which were skipped over along with some choices in places which required a bit of guessing.

More specific examples/comments (major spoilers alert!):

Hide contents

I wanted to see Sayo vs Jouan in the final route, it kinda ended showing Sayo around in the true end so I'd imagine Jouan lost (though Kageaki did say to Chachamaru "I have a feeling I won't see him again"). They also sort of skipped over how Ichijou and Kanae stood against the silver star spawns along with the fight between Doushin and Hikaru.

The choices in Revenge Volume during the Konatsu battles were... a little bit too hard to get right without a few guesses. The Shishiku battle choices were quite logical which I didn't pick up without actually thinking over it.

The backstory of Yagenta/Ukyou/Ichihime was a little hard to grasp in chapter 2, good thing that didn't turned into an important element or maybe there's some dots I haven't connected there - that bit of infodumping (maybe just the way they spoke) was particular brutal on non native Japanese speakers along with Suzukawa's lectures in the first chapter/Sayo's voice impersonation in second chapter.

In the Ichijou route, the very last scene before the credits roll with the final skill from Masamune was not explained very well (maybe it's just me not understanding the details again), from the Epilogue I figured out the result but I just didn't get what that final skill was.

That cube puzzle in the final route was so random! Also it was strange to read the epilogue before the Akki route.

Overall, awesome VN, there are some very unforgettable moments -  これは英雄の物語ではない.

Congrats! Yeah, I also found the backstory in chapter 2 to be incomprehensible. About Ichijyou's attack, iuuno what is like

Spoiler

exploding your own organs or something?

Iuuno, read it 2 years ago. I think the fights excluded might be in the anthology addition, the Muramasa fandisk.

Edited by Chronopolis

Finished 残念な俺達の青春事情。 today, it's the first  ChuableSoft title that i read and i could say that i was deceived by the game.

In the first 10 minutes the mc make a speech about humans and her bounds that ends in a totally unexpected way, but unfortunately this is the best scene. The game seems very rushed to me, the common route is short and only have one significant event. 

The design of the heroines is one good point of the game, they are likeable despite the lack of devolpment. 

Heroine rank: Rinne>Natsume=Chimachi>Sakuya

The core of the concept is that everyone have some peculiarity or flaw, but united we can overpass that(or i'm just overthinking the concept of the game again), but in reality the routes are just h-scene after h-scene, it's really like a nukige. I will not make a route ranking because the quality of them only depend if you like lolis or big breasts.

A positive point is that the male support characters have good interactions with the protagonist(better than the heroines) providing some humor moments.

Spoiler

Art: 7

Characters: 7.8

Story: 5

Enjoyment: 6.3

Humor: 6.9

Overall: 6.6

In the end, this is another title that throw everything to the air just to deliver h-scenes that someone will jerk off. I guess that my first impression about ChuableSoft is not positive.

Finished Eustia. So, what to say? I'm unsatisfied.

The VN was good and I really liked it. The setting is interesting, and (most of) the characters are likeable. The story is great and I really enjoyed it.

But then come the ending(s). How the other heroines aside from Eustia were treated aside, as good as the end is, I'm just not satisfied with it. Be it the way it happened, or the result.

Anyway, I could write a long rant and all, but in the end I would just finish and say I liked it nonetheless and don't regret reading it. (that and I'm bad at writing reviews/rants)

Edited by Riku

Still having a soft spot for the Atelier Kaguya Berkshire Yorkshire https://vndb.org/p984 group, I decided to read any of the remainder of their later VNs I could get my hands on. They're just ecchi heavy moege and started getting particularly good at that progressively more ecchi interactions with the girls before you finally end up on one of their paths and from "School Project ☆" onwards I really enjoyed the style.

Currently tackling "Prima ☆ Stella" https://vndb.org/v827 which reminds me an awful lot of the thematic material in the recent anime "Shomin sample" for one guy being the only guy in an all girls school for Ojou-samas. So far it's great fun, most readers here would think they're nothing special - though I freely admit to getting a good laugh and worked up by them, often really liking most of the heroines, and this is no different. It rates ~8/10 on VNDB despite that. /guilty pleasure

So I finished Iori's route in Mirai Nostalgia now. It took a while since I was also reading UQ A3 in JP besides the Root Double and Yoakena I was also reading in English. It was very... slice of lifey to say the least even if turned to nakige towards the end. But together with Yoakena I was almost on my last legs, it was just too much slife of life, I had to put in a few breaks.

The VN doesn't really make a big secret out of the fact that it's main focus is on Anna and Iori. The Kudou twins were so forgetable bland that I can still hardly believe that they are actual main heroines with routes. Uta was kinda cute but she's a bit too young for me to play her route. I would probably play Kanata's route if she would have any, but surprisingly she doesn't. I guess something went wrong during the selection of the main heroines. <_<

Anyway, although some of the characters have some kind of psychic powers (besides a talking cat) it didn't really have a lot of impact until the end since most of the story was just simple school slice of life. Iori starts out kind of interesting, but her air gun fetish got really annyoing after a while. She's a real tsuntsun, getting constantly upset and waving around with her air gun. It was probably just intended as a running joke, but all so often it reminded me of those newspaper articles about careless fun fanatics accidentally killing a family member, and I just wanted the protagonist to take away her gun. Her hot temper later escalates to a rather dramatic story arc that shed some light onto her connection to Anna.

I think I'll go straight to Anna's route from here. She was really nice and had the best chemistry with the protagonist, and the story is essentially about her, Iori and the protagonist. Hope the protagonist will be a bit more proactive in her route. He was a bit too passive for my taste so far.

Edited by ChaosRaven

So, because at the end of this week I'll have to go back to my parents' house for Christmas, I decided to read a short VN, thinking that with my reading speed and college it will take me the week, and began to read Satsukoi. And yeah, it's short.  If I had known, I would have chosen another VN, now I won't be able to read another one before the end of the week...

Anyway, it's a rather strange VN. The premise is weird, and there is almost no romance (Or should I say it's badly developed?), but I like the MC (his design is cool, so I searched for more MCs with long hair on VNDB and there was so much cross-dressing...) and the characters interactions and humor are great. My favorite girl was Nao and her route too was my favorite. Mainly because the romance was done better in this route. Ruri and Yuu's routes weren't bad, just that the love came out of nowhere in Ruri's route, and it wasn't well developed (imo) in Yuu's one.

Also, the transition with the CG and BGM at the end of everything hit you right in the feels.

Wasn't the best thing ever, but it's worth reading, and with how short it is people should try it! Should be added in the VNs for beginners of @Clephas, aside from a few things here and there it's an easy read.

Edited by Riku

Finished W.L.O., now i'm too lazy to write the wall of text that this title deserve, but if i have to describe the game with one word it was strange, the premise is WTF, some characters are WTF and the humor are full of WTF moments. Sarasa and Ina are by far the best heroines, it's a completely shame that they routes are too big( considering the length of the other routes).

In general the game is good if you want a charage and have muuuch free time.

And a big WTF for the system of choices to the fandisc, seriously that shit is really annoying, and the worst thing is that i not find a walktrough.

Next i will be reading Hello,World.

Started playing 枯れない世界と終わる花.

I have to say, the voice acting is awesome. All the comedy and moe are so much more awesome because the CV's are so expressive. I think this is the only VN where I've not mind leaving the system voices on. Haru's CV must be the same as Lavria from Eustia (which has been ageees). It's nice to hear her voice in a title where her character isn't a side-role and always stuck in a distressing situation.

Some interesting imagery coming from the title. Took some time to realize what was weird about it.

All four of the heroine so far are a hit for me on a moe/dialogue level, which is mindblowing, as I barely played any commercial VN's in 2016. Hope this experience continues.

Edited by Chronopolis

I finished reading Ryakudatsusha no Inen, and have now moved over to the sequel, Ryuukishi Bloody†Saga.

The first game was enjoyable, but certain parts bugged me a bit. Due to the dark nature of the content in the game and the high amount of H, it very obviously leaned towards being a nukige. But, the game is merely supposed to be a prelude to the second, and its purpose is to tell the dark backstory of Roy, not give people boners. Which means, it's kind of ... not supposed to be a nukige at all. It's supposed to be the dark backstory of the MC, and they did a good job of presenting it at such most of the time, but then ruined it by once again pulling the game towards being a nukige at random times. (By suddenly putting in random, totally unimportant H-scenes all over the place. Although some of them were pretty nice as nukige material, it felt kind of out of place, at least some of the scenes.)

Specifically what irked me about this is that they pretty much right off the bat went full on guro mode, (first H-scene), but then suddenly toned down the gore and kept it all outside CGs in narration instead. Then, they switched it back and basically went back and forth the entire game. This game needs to have dark content due to the setting and plot, but it doesn't need pointless H-scenes with it. By putting in a few of those, then cutting them short just confuses everyone. It turns people who don't like guro away, because they don't want it, and it makes the people who came for guro quite annoyed, as it isn't the point of the game at all. If they just kept doing what they are good at, which is just narrating the dark scenes with writing and removing the pointless H, instead keeping a few of the essential H-scenes in the game, this would have been a game that can appeal to a lot more people.

It quite honestly seemed to me like two writers with totally different goals in mind wrote a game, and then they just merged the two into one.

+ Very good art, decent introduction, cool characters, certain pretty emotional scenes, pretty decent writing most of the time

- It's all over the place at times, and seems indecisive when it comes to what lines it should and shouldn't cross in terms of gore and H.

The second game's tone is completely different, but honestly, that's a good thing. They should stick more to that kind of stuff, a slightly lighter tone with more focus on combat and action, and less focus on guro nukige level dark content. I haven't gotten far into the sequel yet, but I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far. Seems like a much more enjoyable read than the first one.

Despite the first game's flaws, I'd recommend both of these. (I mean, it's worth it just for the art alone.)