What are you reading? Untranslated edition

Funnerific

On undefined at 11:55 PM, HMN said:

ohohoho. someone's reading ley-line~ 

the 2nd one ends up on such a cliffhanger,i honestly don't know how people were able to wait for the final game.

what i found remarkable about ley-line is its consistency throughout the whole series,so i really hope you do enjoy it :D

Doing the last chapter now and getting really interesting. I have enjoyed almost all of it so far, if it gets even better towards the end will definitely be among my favorites. Good thing I'm reading it now and not 2013.

26190.jpg

I've finished Seikishi Melty ☆ Lovers now, or to be precise, a few days ago. Unfortunately it wasn't the greatest read - it was actually a faily underwhelming experience. I read it mainly because it's a knight game, it's drawn by Iizuki Tasuku, the artist from the Lovely & Cation series, and it's from AkabeiSoft3 - so what could go wrong? Well, a lot it seems. 

The problems already start how this project was even approached. Let’s take for comparison the two heavy weight knight games in the genre, Walkure Romanze and Unionism Quartet. Walkure Romanze has just in its first game about 15 full drawn characters and Unionism Quartet even about 20, and in addition they have also some faces for characters of less importance. Now Seikishi Melty Lovers has just 4 (!!!) full drawn characters in total - the main heroines - and the rest are just simple faces to be shown in the text box. Now, that’s not to say that couldn’t work. Lovely & Cation had a similar low character count but it was also a dating sim with an abnormal high focus on the character interaction with the main heroine. It simply worked that way and you got a lot of high quality scenes for your chosen heroine as compensation.

But this is a knight game with an actual story where you simply can’t just neglect all side characters. As a consequence you see a whole lot of character interaction with void, air and nothingness which gave the game a somewhat hollow and soulless feel. On the other hand, the actual quality of the art wasn’t that bad, although Iizuki Tasuku’s character designs weren’t as good as in Lovely & Cation (personal opinion) they were still decent and the backgrounds were okay for the most part too.

For obvious reasons the lack of drawn characters posed a serious problem for the writers. They could have compensated that by letting the main heroines interact more, but with the exception of Sefi’s route where Sefi interacts a lot with Lil, that wasn’t really the case. Canon and Frey were mostly on their own in their respective routes interacting mostly with various types of invisibility. What even emphasized the problem was that the writers tried to write some ‘epic scenes’ with lots of people involved which just couldn’t work that way. They didn’t even got the idea to draw a common ‘template villain’ which they could just copy & paste a few times. Even that would have already helped a lot. The interaction with other characters is also important to shape the personality of the main characters and without that they were lacking somehow.

The routes themselves weren’t that great either. Sefi’s route was probably still the best. But Canon’s route was just about her silly sword which got pretty annoying after a while. Frey’s was ‘supposed’ to be the best since it was written by a writer from Walkure Romanze, but it actually turned out the worst. Frey is a bone hard tsun-tsun heroine and while it can be fairly interesting to tame that type of character it gets pretty horrible if the protagonist just doesn’t have the guts to stand up to her and just lets himself treat like a submissive dog. I wasn’t even able to finish the route, it was that bad. Didn’t play Lil’s route but I doubt it’s worth reading.

Overall, the whole thing felt like a cheap cash grab. That’s even more annoying considering that this title has a bit of a history behind it. While the title carries the label AkabeiSoft3 it was in fact done by the former employees of Effordom Soft, a sub-brand of Akabeisoft2, which was closed down not long ago because of the Juukishi Cutie ☆ Bullet scandal. Apparently the title was published in such a poor state with hardly any content, that it caused quite the outrage amongst its readers. Interesting fact: Apparently nobody else than famous G-Senjou writer Looseboy was the manager of that studio under another pseudonym. And to compensate the readers of Cutie Bullet they could exchange this title with Seikishi Melty Lovers. Well, it’s probably less a compensation and more exchanging one half-assed title for another. <_<

Heroine rating: Sefi > Canon > Lil > Frey

Final rating: 6/10

I’m generous here, it gets the 6 mostly because I like Iizuki Tasuku’s art, otherwise I would have rated it even lower. But overall, I don’t like what’s currently going on with the whole AkabeiSoft conglomerate. Stuff like that shouldn’t happen in a studio with such a pedigree. I will treat future releases from them with caution. :yumiko:

So, my next two Japanese VN’s will be a cross-read of Shin Koihime Musou and Hapymaher:rolleyes:

28440.jpg  27851.jpg

I’m somewhat happy for Windows 10 now since I can zoom the whole desktop content with 50 % to get the 800 x 600 low res window from Shin Koihime almost on full screen size at the right and the translation window next to it.

Well, I finished Nikuniku, and absolutely loved it. For the people wondering if it's more than just a simple guro nukige, it definitely is, and the true ending left me very satisfied. That being said, if you don't like guro, playing this will be a real chore, as a lot of the core story is basically built around it.

The story aspect was what kept me glued to the game though. Although it's a very "simple" story, it's very effective, and I just needed to know what happens next the entire time. You will be confused as fuck for a large portion of the game, but that was half the fun in my opninon. (And everything is cleared up eventually, so it's intentional, obviously.)

If you want a mind bending story with lots of yummy and twisted fetish scenes, you'll like this one.

10 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

I've finished Seikishi Melty ☆ Lovers now, or to be precise, a few days ago.

[snip]

Frey’s was ‘supposed’ to be the best since it was written by a writer from Walkure Romanze, but it actually turned out the worst. Frey is a bone hard tsun-tsun heroine and while it can be fairly interesting to tame that type of character it gets pretty horrible if the protagonist just doesn’t have the guts to stand up to her and just lets himself treat like a submissive dog. I wasn’t even able to finish the route, it was that bad.

Yeah, as you mentioned, this was the speedy "Save our Reputation" game tossed out to compensate for the utter crap that was Cutie Bullet, so despite the art, it wasn't worth expecting much from it.  I think your rating is pretty spot on at 6/10, buoyed mostly by the art and voice acting.

That said, I disagree with your characterization of Frey.  She starts as a solid Tsun, but slowly changes through her route.  There's even a point most of the way through where you can see that her 'tsun' is mostly teasing, rather than serious, and of course once the sex starts she's entirely deredere.  The reasons for her tsun and her story are pretty bad, which prevent her from being best girl, but as a tsundere, she's actually pretty good.  Better than most in other games, at least.

Lil's route, you aren't missing much:

Spoiler

It's the cliché "overblown/fake fight over a misunderstanding" by the princess to force Lil into MC's company, where of course everyone makes up and ends up better friends than before when all is said and done.

There are some cute moments here and there, but overall much like Frey's route.

1 hour ago, Toranth said:

That said, I disagree with your characterization of Frey.  She starts as a solid Tsun, but slowly changes through her route.  There's even a point most of the way through where you can see that her 'tsun' is mostly teasing, rather than serious, and of course once the sex starts she's entirely deredere.  The reasons for her tsun and her story are pretty bad, which prevent her from being best girl, but as a tsundere, she's actually pretty good.  Better than most in other games, at least.

While it's true that she gets more soft later in the route, it's all for the wrong reasons. It turns into a pity relationship because he can't beat her and more or less breaks down because of that. That she treats him like a dog wasn't just a manner of speech, she really provoked him that way on several occasions. And unfortunately he can't deal with it and gets totally submissive instead of giving her opposition. Frey then starts the relationship with him pretty much just out of pity. The problem with that is that she doesn't respect him - not really - he's just her cute little poodle but not a man she would look up to or rely on.

And I'm a bit conservative here, I could never stand a relationship with a woman who wouldn't respect me, since it would make me feel incompetent. But it was actually more a problem with the protagonist and less with Frey - she was simply the wrong woman for him. Their relationship was doomed to fail sooner or later. I think the teacher would have been better for her.  Tsunderes are spoiled princess type characters. They aren't as easy as normal dere type heroines. They need a guy who won't bow down to their abusive treatment. Hetare protagonists simply aren't suited for them.

There's actually a somehow similar situation in Lovely x Cation in Sera's route. She's a teacher and older than the protagonist who's still a student. She's also a rather dominant character and a real power woman and therefore slowly starts to treat him like her cutie boy. And while the protagonist was more of a blank slate character for the most part, he showed some real guts here. He got absolutely furious and threatened to break up their whole relationship if she wouldn't start to respect him as a man and stop that cutie boy bullshit. And she actually understood and changed her view of him. He wasn't her cute student anymore, but a man she'd respect and rely on. It was totally awesome.

Though I guess people who are more into femdom would probably enjoy Frey's route more lol. ^_^

4 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

While it's true that she gets more soft later in the route, it's all for the wrong reasons. It turns into a pity relationship because he can't beat her and more or less breaks down because of that. That she treats him like a dog wasn't just a manner of speech, she really provoked him that way on several occasions. And unfortunately he can't deal with it and gets totally submissive instead of giving her opposition. Frey then starts the relationship with him pretty much just out of pity. The problem with that is that she doesn't respect him - not really - he's just her cute little poodle but not a man she would look up to or rely on.

And I'm a bit conservative here, I could never stand a relationship with a woman who wouldn't respect me, since it would make me feel incompetent. But it was actually more a problem with the protagonist and less with Frey - she was simply the wrong woman for him. Their relationship was doomed to fail sooner or later. I think the teacher would have been better for her.  Tsunderes are spoiled princess type characters. They aren't as easy as normal dere type heroines. They need a guy who won't bow down to their abusive treatment. Hetare protagonists simply aren't suited for them.

I almost feel like we played different games, here.

Frey is supposedly the better swordsman, but the MC in her route is shown as better tactically and at dealing with people.  In the beginning, no, she didn't respect him.  But there's an entire sequence in the middle of her route that demonstrates his abilities to her, and her growing respect for him because of them is what pushed the entire romance along.  I certainly don't see how you can claim she treats him badly at all, much less 'like a dog', after the common part (where she's supposed to be completely tsun).  Her desires are dominant in driving the story not because he's totally submissive but because he's a blank-slate MC: he has no goals, no driving ambition, and not even that much of a pre-determined personality.  He goes along with what she wants because there's no conflicting drive, not because she abuses him and forces her way over his - just like in Sefi's or Canon's routes.

The story could have been improved dramatically if the MC actually had a real personality, rather than just drifting along with whatever the girl of the route wants.  But that's how many of these main characters are written, which is why those games end up with 6/10 ratings, rather than being remembered.

Wasn't Frey more of a Kuudere type that likes to take care of people that she is close to?

I don't think think it was the whole femdom thing, she didn't want to dominate people, more like spoil them. From this I can see how you saw her as treating the main character as a dog (as you tend to spoil the people that you like), but it wasn't as extreme as you described it. It was more like a older sister taking care of a younger brother.

Anyways, it was a pretty bad game in terms of heroine routes and overall story, but it turned out to be a mediocre game because its visuals look very good. 

Just as a side, I remember being lured in to playing this game after it released because it had good visuals and an interesting setting (loved the knight setting) but ended up being disappointed lol.

6 hours ago, Toranth said:

II certainly don't see how you can claim she treats him badly at all, much less 'like a dog', after the common part (where she's supposed to be completely tsun).

I think the key scenes were around when she issues an ultimatum that if he beats her she'll agree to a relationship and otherwise he has to give up on her. And then he lost and was lying frustrating under a tree. And then she came to him and tryed to console him. I think that was the point when turned dere, but for me the relationship was over at this point. And I'm pretty sure I didn't image the 犬 part with the dog since it came up a few times around this time. Maybe it was intended as teasing, but for me it was more like humilation.

Anyway, it isn't that important. Nothing wrong with two people having different impressions and opinions about a route. ^_^

It wouldn't really have changed my opinion about the title a lot.

On 13.8.2016 at 1:11 PM, ChaosRaven said:

So, my next two Japanese VN’s will be a cross-read of Shin Koihime Musou and Hapymaher:rolleyes:

Changed plans to Mirai Nostalgia after MangaGamers's Hapymaher announcement... :rimu:

27853.jpg

15 minutes ago, XReaper said:

if you´re already plan on doing purple´s titles, i´d suggest you going for asukimi instead and working yourself through their lineup from there on.

Not really eager to do that. My interest in Purple Software's titles has a lot to do with their artist Koku, and he joined them first with Mirai Nostalgia so I'd like to take that as a starting point.

It would be a bit different if I'd possess Clephas' reading speed (or at least 50% of his :amane:), but the way it is I have to make some compromises since I'm following several VN series.

I'm reading Shin Koihime for some time now, but so far I'm disliking pretty much all the changes they made to it. First, they skipped the prologue for some reason, so you don't even know why you're here. The main villain who was acting behind the scenes also seems to be missing or at least didn't make an appearance yet. Can live with those changes though.

However, I've started with the Shouko route which is pretty much the story from the original and the changes they made here are a lot worse. While the main story is almost the same so far, the whole romance arcs were drastically reduced. Resting scenes were much rarer so far and instead of developing their relationships it's pretty much just boring slice of life comedy. And while Aisha was the absolute main heroine in the first part she's now so unimportant that she didn't even get her own character slot anymore and has to share it with Touka, which drags the relationship development even more down.

The pacing of the main story also seem to be much slower now because they introduced so many new characters (of questionable quality) and they cycle through too many factions. The original also had some problems with that but it wasn't as bad as it is now. The original at least didn't throw all characters at you at once, and not all of the characters had to butt in into the main conversations. Especially since Kazuto seems to be much less involved now.

But the worst change of all of them is the lolification of the cast. Honestly, it's pretty much Lolihime Musou now. Almost all of the main heroines from the original seem have gotten a 'support' loli whose main job seems to be to go on your nerves. Shuri was already hard to endure in the original but now she got additional support from Hinari so she can be twice as annoying. But it gets even better. Ren now shares her character slot with Nenene who looks like a 5 - 6 year old child, so if I want to play her route I have to go pedo. Well, Ren wasn't amongst my favorite heroines in the original, so I can probably live with just skipping her route. But now the biggest 'highlight', they did the same with Sui and coupled her route with Tanpopo!!! Nothing against Tanpopo, I really liked her in the anime, but that doesn't mean I want to date her. And I just have to look at the VNDB tags to know what will happen later on in this route. *sigh*

This also goes beyond of just not being the biggest loli fan. In moderation (and without the H-scenes) it can actually be quite charming. The problem is, I've already 7 loli's in my party, and it's turning more and more into a kindergarten simulator. And Shion didn't even join yet with Riri. Well, at least Riri will stay out of adult business again (hopefully). But knowing my luck, Miu will probably also join and increase the kindergarten to almost 10 kids. Koihime Musou was never particular serious but now it's turned pretty much into a kids novel. And later on it turns into a damn child abuse festival. Great! Just absolutely great!! :amane: I wish all loli's except Rinrin would go away. At least she kills her opponents so they don't go on my nerves later on.

I'll continue the route a bit more and see how it's going, but if it continues like that I might just drop it and go for the Go route. That should be more my taste.

After finishing the first (Kasumi’s) route in Dies Irae, I must say that it was a really epic experience. I was overwhelmed at some points, mesmerized at some points and also baffled at some points and up until now it has been a very satisfying read.

The voice acting, music, visuals, writing; there were so many aspects of this game that really made it stand out for me. I truly do understand why people end up praising this game so much.

The two aspects that totally overwhelmed me were the voice acting and the music. First off, the voice acting is done spectacularly well, with each voice giving its own distinct character. Especially when each character chants their own invocations, you feel a sense of epicness, a feeling that sends shivers down your spine as you listen to them. It’s a feeling hard to describe in words and only when you hear it in its context, you can fully appreciate them. The music was also stand out awesome, it felt like almost all the songs were like final battle scenes, with an epic mix of organ, electric guitar, choir and percussion. I must say that it really set the mood for all the fights. It also was used in cases to note a change in atmosphere and also used in some cases for sarcastic humor. Overall, it was very pleasing to the ear and I found these to the most forthright enjoyable aspects of the visual novel.

The two aspects that really mesmerized and captivated me was the writing and the visuals. The writing style was definitely more complex than most visual novels and although it was challenging to read, I must say that it was excellently written. It was a style of writing that rarely states outright what it is trying to say. Instead it uses descriptive language, to describe the situation or subject and gives you an impression of the topic and gets to the details. There were many times during the NVL scenes where I had to read passages again because if you didn’t then you would miss out on a lot of detail and you wouldn’t be able to understand. If I had to compare it to something, it was like reading a novel. I felt that if this was written just as a novel, it would have made perfect sense and would have still been rated highly. The visuals, I will mention briefly, because they were also excellent. There were slight animations that really did help to build up the excitement and also the illustrations were done well.

Now some complaining about Ren...

Spoiler

However, there were aspects that I did dislike about the visual novel. The most glaring aspect was the characterization of the protagonist. Even though I understood the reasons behind his character, it was still very frustrating to read. The first trait that really bothers me was that he was dishonest with himself. He just isn’t truthful to his desires and cannot seem to express himself clearly in most situations. Now this trait also doesn’t help when he is a person who hesitates to make decisions and act on them even knowing the consequences. I mean at least tell Kasumi some of the truth so that she doesn’t make rash decisions because he should already understand Kasumi’s personality of wanting to be of use to him. It was very frustrating to watch because both of them were hiding very crucial secrets from each other, to try and be considerate of each other when in fact it was actually doing the opposite.

The final point was that he was the type of character that likes to shoulder all the burdens even when it is not necessarily his fault. For example, it was actually Shiro that killed Kasumi’s father but he blames himself for it. He tries to not get anyone involved even though by himself he is unable to do anything and he has people in his life that really do want to help him out. All of these very irritating traits put into one character really made me dislike him. My view of Ren might change as the story progresses but this is where it is right now.

At this point, it is hard to make any real conclusion as I have only seen one route and I am expecting a lot more to come.

Just finished Miyabi's route in Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no. Damn, that was TOO good. I don't want to read the other routes now...

My only complaint about the route is that:

Spoiler

Even though she has such good scenes, why Lida has only one CG!? (SD not included) And why she didn't receive more love? I know it's Miyabi's route, but with all that's happening, it's feel weird she doesn't have a love moment.

Also, Miyabi and Lida feel like Theia and Ruth prototypes from Rokujouma. Now I want to reread all the moments with them again.

7 hours ago, Riku said:

Just finished Miyabi's route in Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no. Damn, that was TOO good. I don't want to read the other routes now...

My only complaint about the route is that:

Reveal hidden contents

Even though she has such good scenes, why Lida has only one CG!? (SD not included) And why she didn't receive more love? I know it's Miyabi's route, but with all that's happening, it's feel weird she doesn't have a love moment.

Also, Miyabi and Lida feel like Theia and Ruth prototypes from Rokujouma. Now I want to reread all the moments with them again.

^___^

Miyabi~~. Rather shocking that this is made by Pulltop xD

1 hour ago, Bolverk said:

^___^

Miyabi~~. Rather shocking that this is made by Pulltop xD

It's written by Takehaya, of course it's good! <This person is a Takehaya fanboy.

Also, the fact that Miyabi and Lida kind of resemble Theia and Ruth from Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!? (Which is my favorite Light Novel, also written by Takehaya) made me like them even more.

So I'm kinda biased, don't know if I would have liked it this much if it wasn't written by Takehaya, or if I never read Rokujouma.

Been playing グロ・でれ recently, and it's freaking hilarious. Done with the イルミ "route" now. (Best ending ever, rofl.)

This is probably the first time I have seen guro used mixed with humor like this. (It really works in this game though.) Gotta say, despite it being completely stupid, it's really funny. The animated sprites feels a bit out of place though. It's just the characters moving up and down in an eternal loop, and the only animted part in the CGs is the eyes and their panting, which is a little bit boring. Honestly, that part could have been completely removed from the game. (Whenever the sprites froze up, then resumed moving, it looked like they had ingested about 900KG of speed, which was both hilarious and disturbing.)

Anyways, so far the game is surprisingly entertaining.

Recently got a whole bunch of Cyclet games, will be doing this and it's fandisk after グロ・でれ.

I've finished the Shoku route centered around Ryuubi in Shin Koihime Musou now.

31614.jpg

Overall, it felt more like a half-assed fan disc for the original than a true rewrite. Shin Koihime might be a huge game, but if you divide the 6 MB of text into three parts, that still means that it’s just 2 MB for each route. Koihime Musou had just about 3 MB but it was dedicated to the Shouko route only and that means it had about 50% more text than Shin’s rewrite. And that unfortunately shows, since the resting sections for the character and relationships bonding were just a shadow of their former self.

It might still have worked despite the reduced text size if they would have focused on the actual main characters, but instead they did the exact opposite and added a huge amount of new characters. Most of them with little to no impact and it’s no surprise that with the exception of Ryuubi, none of them got any major reappearances in future titles or any relevant merchandizing articles like dakimakura. And to make matters worse they even mixed the routes of old and new characters reducing them to a real cluster fuck. On average, each of the main characters had probably about 60% reduced scenes and CG’s as in the predecessor. And while the predecessor focused more on character and relationship development, Shin‘s were mostly silly comedy like in the anime. I mean hello, we are at war, people dying?! Sure, the predecessor had those too, but not in that concentration.

The balance of main story and resting scenes was also handled worse. The original often had more resting scenes after another and by the time new characters were added, a character route was finished. That way, you didn’t have too much character routes at the same time. But in the first half of Shin you hardly have any resting scenes at all and they are just gathering characters instead. And then you’re suddenly forced to handle 5 routes at the same time which absolutely kills the pacing.

On the other hand, the actual main story parts had some improvements. The first half was very similar to the first one, just without the silly H-scenes for the other factions which made it somehow more mature. The second half then deviates from its predecessor and seems to follow more the true events of the romance of the three kingdoms. And while the ‘neko barbarians’ were just ridiculous, the alliance with the Go faction was pretty cool. Actually, the Go and to a lesser extent the Gi faction made the Shouku faction look more like a bunch of clowns which is pretty sad considering that’s the faction you’re currently playing. Especially Go’s war council of Sheren, Meirin and Sai kicked real ass.

Spoiler

ii83zafu.jpg

And Sheren in particular was a real queen - definitely my favorite character so far. Hope she’ll have a better fate in her Go route than in the predecessor. :(

Spoiler

x36hb5kt.jpg

So far I’d give the Shoku route a 6/10. Considering that the predecessor already has a superior version of it, this isn’t a big problem since I can just see it as fan disc content. The deciding route for me will be the Go faction since I like most of their characters. If they mess that up too, there’ll be little hope for a good rating from my side since I was never a big fan of the Gi faction. And judging from the character entries in the CG section, the Gi route seems to get a similar cluster fuck with dozens of added characters and merged routes like the Shouko faction. At least they didn’t merge Karin’s or Shia’s route with other characters which is at least something.

I’ll now take a break from Shin and switch to Mirai Nostalgia. If I come back I hope it’ll be more quality instead of just quantity.

Recently completed Natsu no Kusari. Very short vn by clockup. Played it because I heard it was not a nukige, and yea. It isn't.
it's similar to euphoria, but different setting. Different people -different mental states and personalities. Interesting. Although disgusting/disturbing.

1 hour ago, Bolverk said:

Recently completed Natsu no Kusari. Very short vn by clockup. Played it because I heard it was not a nukige, and yea. It isn't.
it's similar to euphoria, but different setting. Different people -different mental states and personalities. Interesting. Although disgusting/disturbing.

personally i found its bad endings to have been the little more satisfying ones. but yo, been a while since i lastly came across a main character whose personality was emotionally this weak. all in all natsu no kusari felt to me like a works straight out of the last decade´s beginning, or even prior to it, simply because of the apparent lack of such kind of content at present time, at least more good and believable written ones.

edit: now that i received the laptop of mine back from official site i´ve spontaniously decided on start reading ELF´s "Adult Video King", first voiced & commercial works the i has touched since "Pigeon Blood" & "Sankai Ou no Yubiwa"completely fucked up my mood until there was no more. so far AVK is quite entertaining and though i´m only a little further past its beginning plus not sure where the story as a whole is heading at, its rich and fleshed out cast, paired with a good chunk of humour is what keeps me going.
- might halt AVK sometime in the middle and switch to reading DxD for abit only to continue the former afterwards, which doesnt mean AVK is/was a bad read, it´s more because of the current i having become unable of enjoying more long works of the same setting after reading them for a while, same for voiced ones, regardless of their quality.

11 minutes ago, XReaper said:

personally i found its bad endings to have been the little more satisfying ones. but yo, been a while since i lastly came across a main character whose personality was emotionally this weak. all in all natsu no kusari felt to me like a works straight out of the last decade´s beginning, or even prior to it, simply because of the apparent lack of such kind of content at present time, at least more good and believable written ones.

It is well written I agree. imo compared to euphoria it's a lot better. Because it doesn't have the 2nd part euphoria does. Which was lacking compared to the first part. One guy commented to me how kusari could be good when it's so short. Interesting question honestly. I think it didn't really need to be longer. It told what it wanted to tell. You could have added more stuff and such. But I think it's complete as it is. Few works can really say they've managed to do so.

As for the personality of the main character. I think. Mmm. He's weak no doubt about it. Considering how he doesn't find much meaning in life. In his mind doing this "colors the gray of his life" so to speak.. I think it's all rather sad. I felt rather sympathetic to him and appalled by him at the same time.

21 minutes ago, Bolverk said:

One guy commented to me how kusari could be good when it's so short. Interesting question honestly. I think it didn't really need to be longer. It told what it wanted to tell. You could have added more stuff and such. But I think it's complete as it is. Few works can really say they've managed to do so.

pretty much this. it was fine as it was. period. while there are tons of stories out there featuring similar plotlines/ settings, the very vast majority of theirs almost always ended up in a mess, or has been nothing more than a bunch of hollow nukige from the beginning, regardless of possibly being 10times a more long read, and that is what i seriously appreciate coming to natsu no kusari, simply because it tells what it wants to, all without shying away from the borderline disgusting, delivers its essence straight into a readers mind and lastly because the work as a whole has a meaning to it, despite its overall shortness, which is furthermore complicated through a large number of ero content, a task not many authors are capable of pulling off successfully.