What are you reading? Untranslated edition

Funnerific

@Chronopolis you might want to continue reading abit further into the story itself, so there´re some more significant impressions to share aside from its stunningly looking visuals, which are even now causing my hormons to run as wild as they possibly can.
still not in the right mood of taking on any commercial/professional works yet, so the more awesome-ish doujinshi to explore, the better and that one in particular definitely got my expectations maxed out to the very fullest.

btw. capital letters hail from evil itself. prosa oratio hails from evil itself. everyone should just go back to talking cryptically & in rhymes only

edit: ahhh screw that, already fell victim to どげさ and reallife got messed up.

Finished Nayu's route in natsu owari no nirvana.

The routes had exactly what I was looking for, but holy fuck this VN doesnt cut it when it comes to fluff. There is SO MUCH FLUFF, thats disguised under really unoriginal SOL humour which is this VNs biggest flaw so far. Oh yeah and also the most annoying cliche filled osananajimi you could ever imagine and she just doesnt stop. If it wasnt for the true route, I would have thought that her purpose in the VN was to annoy you as a reader with unfunny slapstick comedy thats only there to make you wait even longer for actual shit to happen.

With that said,

Nayu is adorable and many feels were had, so the journey was worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Maro no Kanja ha Gatenkei 3 and ...

Spoiler

... here is an accurate visual representation of my mind while reading these morally questionable eroge:

h8cx97zg.png

But still ...

... I didn't get it.

Can someone explain to me what the meaning behind Tomoko was? I get that ...

Spoiler

... Maro represents elf. Old and unable to adopt to the modern world he has to live a life in solitude. The few people who know him and like him because he enriched their lives have to move on with their own lives even though they miss him when he's gone.
But what represents Tomoko? She seems so random. At first, I thought she's meant to be one of the ethereal beings who are often part of elf stories (Kisaku, Kawarazaki-ke 2), but she doesn't really fit into this pattern (ghost searching for redemption/salvation). Am I missing a reference here?
What is the significance of Maro giving his life for her?

At this point, I see her representing Silky's Plus and its shitty ghost stories and how its popularity finally killed elf.

Honestly, I hate Silky's Plus. Fuck you all. You killed elf.

• 3 weeks later...

Well guess I'll give this thread a bump. I usually just post everything I play in "what are you playing", even untranslated VNs, but someone said a while back that they wanted to keep this alive so I'll help out.

After having finished Koiken Otome I'm moving onto the fandisk. I really enjoyed the main game and want the new routes.

I clicked Minato's route, but somehow we ended up here... hmm...

Oh well, let's just go with it :makina:

E2bftwz.png

• 3 weeks later...

Started reading HoshiMemo fandisk, my first VN in Japanese. I already know most of the terminology and names from the main game so it's not too bad, but the scenes talking about astronomy and some of You-kun's commentary are a pain to read, have to look up every other word. The story is alright so far, it's tying up the loose ends so even though it's mostly slice of life it's satisfying to find out what actually happened. The feels are actually hitting me quite hard again, they all graduated Hibari-kou and had the last observation with the club :(

Just now, Kawasumi said:

I decided to abandon everything (as I always do lol) and start nikuniku together with @Dergonu and possibly @Arcadeotic, this is gonna be a ride for sure

Haven't played much, but I'm already hooked. This is awesome. The art, the music, the atmosphere; all pretty freaking great.

I love how the art basically looks like a standard moege, then you find out; it's really, really not. :makina:

57196.jpg

started diving into the new muramasa fanfic thingie + re-reading albatross on the sidelines. originally intended clearing off my mind of anything mecha-related so i could start innocently going for lisbelluru vol.5-6 soon, but-------

edit: also still working myself through various more promising doujinshi, a task which has pretty much disturbed the mind of mine. *looking at you soramimi

1 hour ago, Kawasumi said:

I decided to abandon everything (as I always do lol) and start nikuniku together with @Dergonu and possibly @Arcadeotic, this is gonna be a ride for sure

I played both trials. Wasn't too impressed with the voice acting and the story. Kinda seemed very predictable. However, the level of gore is astonishing. I will probably play it soon too, but I'm currently busy with the newest Mink game.

3 minutes ago, Tyrosyn said:

I played both trials. Wasn't too impressed with the voice acting and the story. Kinda seemed very predictable. However, the level of gore is astonishing. I will probably play it soon too, but I'm currently busy with the newest Mink game.

ah, and here I thought you were a die hard banya fan :holo: 

4 minutes ago, Tyrosyn said:

Really? So far I think the voice acting is pretty good. 

Spoiler

Mia's screams when her arm got fucked up were pretty convincing. Even better during the first H-scene. 

The story is definitely quite predictable, but that's basically half the fun in a game like this to be honest. :makina: 

6 minutes ago, Kawasumi said:

ah, and here I thought you were a die hard banya fan :holo: 

I am a fan of Banya and actually I really like the "writing" in this game too. Right from the start, the description in the beginning how mankind was doomed was pretty good, just as I expected from Banya. Also, Mia's inner monologues, the description of pain and suffering, all the good stuff Banya is known for, is here too. So that is not the problem.
The problem is the concept Banya was given by Bug System and has to work with. He makes the best out of it, but personally I just can't find it very interesting.

The problem is easily summarized: Killing has no consequences.
I like gore in eroge. Mainly because gore means in most cases "story". Like in Kara no Shoujo. When you see a scene with a normal hentai CG, it's probably filler, but when you have a scene with a gore CG, it's probably a thrilling and interesting story scene.
In Nikuniku ... it's not. It's essentially a gore nukige, because every killing scene is essentially a filler hentai scenes .. just with gore instead of sex. That's a legit concept, if you have a gore fetish. Sadly, I have not. I like seeing innocent girls die horribly, of course, ... but not because I like to see the act of dying, but instead because I like to experience the tragedy. With Mia's gore scenes, we have no tragedy, because there are no consequences.

I'm not necessarily saying the game is bad ... it's just that it does not cater to my fetishes. What a pleb reason, I know. :(

I hope you guys can tell me that there is some actual story in the later half of the game. Would be a waste of potential if it really was "only" a guro nukige.

12 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Mia's screams

Good point. Normally, screams are the worst parts of a seiyuu's performance because she doesn't want to ruin her voice. In this case, it's actually reversed; the screams are the best part of the performance! What I miss instead in Mia's voice acting are the feelings of despair and anxiety. She acts way too cool in most cases!

4 minutes ago, Tyrosyn said:

I am a fan of Banya and actually I really like the "writing" in this game too. Right from the start, the description in the beginning how mankind was doomed was pretty good, just as I expected from Banya. Also, Mia's inner monologues, the description of pain and suffering, all the good stuff Banya is known for, is here too. So that is not the problem.
The problem is the concept Banya was given by Bug System and has to work with. He makes the best out of it, but personally I just can't find it very interesting.

The problem is easily summarized: Killing has no consequences.
I like gore in eroge. Mainly because gore means in most cases "story". Like in Kara no Shoujo. When you see a scene with a normal hentai CG, it's probably filler, but when you have a scene with a gore CG, it's probably a thrilling and interesting story scene.
In Nikuniku ... it's not. It's essentially a gore nukige, because every killing scene is essentially a filler hentai scenes .. just with gore instead of sex. That's a legit concept, if you have a gore fetish. Sadly, I have not. I like seeing innocent girls die horribly, of course, ... but not because I like to see the act of dying, but instead because I like to experience the tragedy. With Mia's gore scenes, we have no tragedy, because there are no consequences.

I'm not necessarily saying the game is bad ... it's just that it does not cater to my fetishes. What a pleb reason, I know. :(

I hope you guys can tell me that there is some actual story in the later half of the game. Would be a waste of potential if it really was "only" a guro nukige.

Good point. Normally, screams are the worst parts of a seiyuu's performance because she doesn't want to ruin her voice. In this case, it's actually reversed; the screams are the best part of the performance! What I miss instead in Mia's voice acting are the feelings of despair and anxiety. She acts way too cool in most cases!

I dunno, the ends sounds really satisfying though, according to metarails tweets

https://twitter.com/Metarail

6 minutes ago, Tyrosyn said:

Ah yes, that is true, she is a bit too cool with things in some situations. 

Those screams though. Really good stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Tyrosyn said:

Will do, I'm hoping for the same.

(Though for me, even if it is just a pure guro nukige, that is more than enough.) 

9 hours ago, cenric said:

Been reading Tokeijikake no Ley Line for a while now. Atm going through the second game in the series.

ohohoho. someone's reading ley-line~ 

the 2nd one ends up on such a cliffhanger,i honestly don't know how people were able to wait for the final game.

what i found remarkable about ley-line is its consistency throughout the whole series,so i really hope you do enjoy it :D

5 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Haven't played much, but I'm already hooked. This is awesome. The art, the music, the atmosphere; all pretty freaking great.

I love how the art basically looks like a standard moege, then you find out; it's really, really not. :makina:

i'm getting real interested in that nikuniku thing.

i need to know if it's actually worth my time or not,though....

in other news that are actually related to the thread,i kinda started eru's route a couple of days ago in Hello lady! ...have a sassy loli

Spoiler

1ab45ea084.jpg

Spoiler

rero rero rero rero rero

845f5da123.jpg

Boku no Hitori Sensou was one of the biggest disappointments I've had since I started reading untranslated. I can't believe it's written by the same person who wrote G-senjou no Maou. Should've taken those votes into account. :vinty:

Edit: the amazing BGM is wasted on this game, it's the only reason I'm not uninstalling it...

Edited by Funnerific

2 hours ago, Funnerific said:

Boku no Hitori Sensou was one of the biggest disappointments I've had since I started reading untranslated. I can't believe it's written by the same person who wrote G-senjou no Maou. Should've taken those votes into account. :vinty:

very much this, but on the other hand be glad you didnt go for juukishi cutie instead, as it outclasses hitori sensou by a mile... :/

31 minutes ago, Kawasumi said:

outclasses? But isnt that supposed to be a good thing? ww

aye, but if you win in the category of "luminary engaged in cash grabber-ish literary genocide" then there´s nothing to feel proud about. no wonder looseboy tried his hardest denouncing any (major) involvement in the works above.

Still playing Nikuniku, and this game sure is longer than I expected. I am on my way to the true ending, and I think I'm at least getting close now. Still, either my reading speed is absolute snail mode, or this game is longer than 2-10 hours. (This is just the true ending. The game still has quite a few bad endings, a few other "good/ normal" endings and different scenes that you unlock depending on your choices in the true route.) 

I'm freaking in love with this game though. Hnnnng, so good. Like I already mentioned before, the art, the music, the atmosphere; everything is great. The whole "trapped in a mansion, only one way to get out" premise is so simple but effective. I can't stop reading. 

Mia's voice acting was a bit awkward during some points, but that really got better over time, and during H-scenes, she nails it. Also, the female guests voice acting makes up for it. 

Spoiler

Her voice acting during the H-scene where she tortures Mia after Natsuka escapes is just freaking amazing. Literally gave me chills. 

The only annoyance is the repetition of certain aspects in the story. (Also, please, give the characters names for crying out loud! Superior man? Rotten man? Female guest?! ARGGH!) 

Spoiler

Anyways, Mia gets killed, wakes up, forgets shit, then goes to the dining hall, does shit, dies, wakes up, forgets shit, goes to the dining hall... repeat x100

Still, although it does make the game a little bit repetitive at times, it doesn't make it boring, at least not in my opinion. 

Can't wait for the endings. 

happened to pause albatross for the moment, guess i currently can not take reading anything non-linear for longer than 7-8h at most, same as works that are voiced, but immediately switched to some newly discovered little whatsnot, called "ノナプルナイン TS:NONUPLE NINE 被験体:999999999", in hopes of it delivering on its initial premise, btw. non falling prey to common tropes and hopefully straying away from the clichee.

edit: the voiced vs unvoiced dilemma of mine does not neccessarily also include doujinshi, at least not all of them.

edit2: from the huge armada of partly free, but nonetheless great ones, i happened to read over the last couple of weeks, there were some which stood out the most such as the free and rather short dark-ish otomege named "tryst of prison". not wanting to go much into detail here, because doing so would unevitably come across as rude and spoiler-ish behaviour to those possibly getting interested in said title, but without a doubt the read itself ended up being quite some meaningful experience in my case. despite its overall shortness "tryst of prison" managed to establish a believable setting, needed background-stories and was basically all about a growing, yet somehow strained relationship between madame freelance prisonward and a certain death row inmate, who awaited the imminent execution of his. few decisions had to be made, which mostly led to satisfactionary outcomes, depending on ones own emotional take on the story itself. whilst minor stuff like transitions between dialogues and actual happenings felt sometimes a little off, there was not much to complain besides the aforementioned, and frankly speaking i will not dare to since this is still a works for free. anyway if you are fond of a story playing around with redemption, guilt and forgiveness as its core-elements, go for it, otherwise do yourself a favour and better not.