Idea for another list (Anime recommendations)

The Major

I've had this idea for a sort of anime recommendations master list for a while now, but I was never sure how to go about making it. I'll try to explain me idea the best I can, and you guys can tell me if it seems like something we should do.

The idea is to make a master list of titles recommended by the citizens of the Fuwanovel forums, sorted into categories, complete with descriptions and other information, links, and personal comments. It would be meant to serve as a place to start when you are looking for something to watch. Anybody could reply to the thread with the information for a recommendation to be added to the list. They wouldn't necessarily need to include things like description or pictures, I can do that. Title, category, and optional comments would be enough.

In order to eliminate duplicate listings, each show would have to be limited to the single closest existing category. So if a series is Action and Psychological, it can only go under one category, not both. Otherwise we would end up with the same show being listed under several separate categories.

I was hoping to include pictures in the information section of each show, since how a show looks can play a bit part in whether the individual is going to watch it. But we would hit the image limit too quick, and I'm not sure if there's a way to get around that.

Here is a small example of what it could look like:

Comedy

Action

• Trigun

vev7kUS.jpg   aVOIuP5.png

Trigun revolves around a man known as "Vash the Stampede" and two Bernardelli Insurance Society employees, Meryl Stryfe and Milly Thompson, who follow him around in order to minimize the damages inevitably caused by his appearance. Most of the damage attributed to Vash is actually caused by bounty hunters in pursuit of the sixty billion double dollars bounty on Vash's head for the destruction of the city of July. However, he cannot remember the incident due to retrograde amnesia, being able to recall only fragments of the destroyed city and memories of his childhood past. (Source: Wikipedia)

26 Episodes, English dubs available

MAL link, Wikipedia link

Recommended by: fuwan1, fuwan2, and fuwan3

fuwan2 says:
this show is a classic! I can't recommend it enough.

Romance

Sci-Fi

Drama

Sports

• Free!

mnK8YTx.jpg   4Y5D1oL.png

Free! starts with four boys—Haruka, Makoto, Nagisa and Rin—before they graduate from elementary school. They all participated in a swimming tournament and won, though they parted ways. Years later, Haruka and Makoto reunite with Nagisa when Nagisa enrolls into high school a year after Haruka and Makoto. Not long after, Rin, who was thought to be in Australia, turns up and challenges Haruka to a race and wins. Afterward, Nagisa suggests creating a swimming club and using the run-down outdoor pool. Haruka, Makoto, and Nagisa, and later on, Rei, create the Iwatobi High School Swimming Club and work together to make the club a success. (Source: Wikipedia)

12 Episodes

MAL link, Wikipedia link

Recommended by: fuwan4, fuwan5, and fuwan6

fuwan4 says:
lol they don't even have nipples.

Thoughts?

Just put SAO and boku no pico on everything I guess?

A bit more serious, I always found recommendation lists flawed just because different individuals have different interpretations of what they want and so it's pretty much impossible to have an effective master recommendation list because everyone's different.

I've thought about this several times before and couldn't come up with a good way to organize it (aside from writing the whole damn list myself).

Good luck finding a way to organize this so that the list doesn't end up being gigantic nor messy, and without excluding anyone from participating nor turning it into long-winded debates over whether Evangelion is a masterpiece or a pretentious pile of crap.

If you do I'd be very happy to contribute suggestions of categories and titles (I can already tell that I don't like the "psychological" tag but that's always been one of my pet peeves :>).

The thing with making this something that anybody can contribute to is, nobody is going agree with everything that goes on the list. That's not really the point of it. Everybody has different tastes and will recommend lots of different things.

Good luck finding a way to organize this so that the list doesn't end up being gigantic nor messy, and without excluding anyone from participating nor turning it into long-winded debates over whether Evangelion is a masterpiece or a pretentious pile of crap.

Yeah, I know. I think the goal is to stick to as few general categories as possible, Instead of a lot of more specific categories with only a few shows under them. I don't see why I would have to exclude anyone from participating. The idea is for it to be a community-wide project.

(I can already tell that I don't like the "psychological" tag but that's always been one of my pet peeves :>).

Yeah, yeah. I was just making an example so I could get this thread made. :vinty:

Oh, this seems fun, and potentially useful since people often seem to ask the community for recommendations.

I nominate Toradora for comedy, Steins;gate for sci-fi, Cross Game for sports and Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) for action.

Even just my own personal list could be a hundred things long but ... since it's for everyone's input, I guess each person should only nominate a few? Or perhaps, only add items that more than one person recommends?

What about putting a point for each recommendation? So that way even if there are disagreement it won't turn into a full blown war, just a small scale war. :P

So for example : Slam Dunk +1 ( Jade) 

Name have to be included so we know how shit your taste in anime are :sachi: 

It is certainly a good idea but it will a lengthy job compiling and sorting the list.

I'll recommend

Gurren Lagann - Adventure

FLCL - dunno what genre to put it in

Oh, Gurren Lagann, great choice. Glad people haven't forgotten that one. To me, Fooly Cooly is comedy more than anything. It is pretty tough to classify though.

I was thinking about nominating the Bakemonogatari series, but couldn't wrap my brain around what kind of show it is, even though I've seen the whole thing twice.

Alright, well, This thread was really just to gauge interest in the idea. I need to come up with better categories and figure out the best way to structure everything first (any suggestions? let me know). I'll probably make a new thread in the Recommendations subforum when it's ready to go, so save you're entries until then. :sachi:

Name have to be included so we know how shit your taste in anime are :sachi:

Oh yeah, names will be included. There's no hiding. :makina:

Oh, Gurren Lagann, great choice. Glad people haven't forgotten that one. To me, Fooly Cooly is comedy more than anything. It is pretty tough to classify though.

Well Fooly Cooly is a show that changes a lot depending on how you interpret/watch it. It is physiological, symbolic dark, parody, action and comedic all at once So it is hard to classify it.

I would say that structuring according to genre is not a very good idea as every anime definitely has more than one genres and many times is good enough to be listed in both genres. 

The list could be like kaguya's 50 must-read translated vns. Yeah the list would become a bit small but I think that it's better than having too many in a cluttered way.

The list could be like kaguya's 50 must-read translated vns. Yeah the list would become a bit small but I think that it's better than having too many in a cluttered way.

At this point we'd just be making another top 100 anime that already exists in every anime site to begin with.

And sure sites like MAL have a huge bias and whatnot, but the concept is still the same and not really very indicative of anything (except popularity) I'd say.

Kaguya's list is 50 translated VNs out of a pool of ~300 or something.

Proportionally we'd need to make a ~1000 anime list which wouldn't have much sense in terms of curating.

Yesterday Kyrt tried to put every single mecha anime ever on the giant robot list so uh look forward to this I guess.

I'm also working on a mahou shoujo list to go with it.

At this point we'd just be making another top 100 anime that already exists in every anime site to begin with.

And sure sites like MAL have a huge bias and whatnot, but the concept is still the same and not really very indicative of anything (except popularity) I'd say.

Yeah, you might be right. I would hope that it doesn't just turn into a listing of every other site's top 50-100. The point is to help people find something new that they might not have heard of. There's not much point in recommending something like Cowboy Bebop if everybody and their dog has already seen it. It was never my intention for it to turn into a popularity list.

Well yeah it could become like a top 100 list but on the flip side if we just put some 1000 anime in one list it would simply become a long list where it will be too hard to find anything. 

We could go ahead and see how this turns out, I just think that it will become too messy and crowded to make use of.