Do you use AUTO?

Kendjin

So I have to admit in the last 2 VNs I've finished playing, I've managed to set the timings on AUTO so they match my reading speed and find I don't have to keep clicking to get the next line.

I was wondering though, how do others play?

I usually find it impossible to wait for the text speed I set, but if I set it higher it gets disorienting somehow. Basically I usually tend to click, and if the line drags on I click again to complete it. Maybe my reading speed actually accelerates/decelerates over time or something...

That said if I'm tired enough to wait for slow auto it can be relaxing. In general though, part of what I like about VNs is that you can finely control the speed of content delivery. I'm a bit of a control freak, I guess...

I dislike using the auto-read. I just can't stand having an imposed rhythm of text display, I guess. My reading speed varies, sometimes quite a lot, so I like to have control over the speed, otherwise it always feel too slow or too fast.

i dunt get y so many companies dont do Auto the way Key does it.

shouldnt it be variable waiting time depending on the length of the line?

a "huh?" should not require the same wait as a "blahbalhblahblahblah full sentence full sentence full sentence"

a "huh?" should not require the same wait as a "blahbalhblahblahblah full sentence full sentence full sentence"

I agree. Also has your avatar changed O.o

I never use the auto mode, I normally click before all the text appears or sometimes before the character finishes the sentence, so I like to go at my own pace. And I also change my pace at times so it's easier to just click.

Besides, I have a wireless mouse, so I just grab the mouse so I can move however I want while clicking.

Some interesting insights into how people play their VNs. I think Key does it better than the others and I have to say, even now I am jumping between both modes depending on how I feel.

Being tired its nice to be able to sit back and enjoy :D

No, never. Whenever I have Auto on, I feel pressured to read before it moves the to next time, and then I end up concentrating on my reading speed as opposed to actually taking in the story... Besides, I like clicking through VNs for some reason.

This is actually something I just realized about recently. I tend to prefer watching anime over VN, and I could never figure out why. Then I started building my own VN (Unhack), and when I implemented auto mode, I worked out the reason--I'm too lazy to even click through the text. I'd like to try out a VN again very soon and see how I go with auto mode. As for Key's way to auto reading, even my game has different speeds depending on the text's length, so games with actual budget have no excuse :P.

I do get the "pressure" of using auto read, though. Truth be told, most VNs have a huge, huge amount of fluff text, and I have no issue with missing some of those.

Yeah, in KEY games I had the best auto mode experience.

The other VNs also take in consideration the length of line though. The key function in KEY games is the minimum wait time, which I set lower, making it even more dependent on the line length. In other games there is always given minimum waiting time that cannot be changed and that's why "huh?" line seems to stay too long.

But I found that if the game has the slider like "auto mode speed" then it is time per char based.

I always use auto. I'm reading VNs in bed so its more comfortable that way.

that why I'm fall asleep ;)

and effect will be double when I must read a text in the language that I'm not good

but when i must do some thing(such as eat), it's a convenient tool

btw, auto in game made by key (and someone else, I'm not remember their name) so good, it calculate waiting time each char, but I alway set it slowly because i'm must search new words by dictionary

and, AUTO+MouseClick(if it doesn't stop AUTO) is a good combo...

Well, I usually change to speed in which the texts appear to instant. And when I use auto, in reading people's lines, even if I finish reading, I like to listen to their voices (even though I don't know s#$! about Japanese). Although, the timing for your character's line usually is too slow. :D

Well, I usually change to speed in which the texts appear to instant. And when I use auto, in reading people's lines, even if I finish reading, I like to listen to their voices (even though I don't know s#$! about Japanese). Although, the timing for your character's line usually is too slow. biggrin.gif

Yeah I have almost instant text display and only have timing before the next line.

And always listen to voices, even if I can't understand them, I can hear the emotion or mood from them and link it with the translated text.

Skipping voices seems like watching anime with mute and only reading subs - bad xD

I use it all the time. I wasn't too keen on it at first, but now I usualy take the time to set up the auto-reading speed whenever I start a new VN. I like just starting auto, sitting back and relaxing as if watching an anime. I try to set a speed that's fast enough without putting pressure on me. When I get tired and can't read as fast, or when I wan't to get through a certain part faster, that's usualy when I start clicking.

I use auto for almost all the VNs I read, unless the system is anything like the one in Hoshimemo >_>

Oh I actually liked the system in hoshimemo as it even shows how much time is remaining before it jumps to next xD