Explain VNs in a single line

Ashadow700

So, one thing I have noticed is that it is actually slightly difficult to explain to my RL friends precisely what VNs are.

Whenever I try to they always gets confused if I'm talking about a book or a video game, which I think is understandable since visual novels are more of less stuck in between. :huh:

So; here's the challenge of the day: make an explanation of what VNs are, using only one line (preferably as short of line as possible)

Whoever gets the best one wins one hundred theoretical euros and a virtual high five. :rolleyes:

Here is the best one I have; "Kind of like jrpgs, except that you have removed all the gameplay and only left the story aspects of them."

Usually, I sell them as 'Sold as video games but they are more like books with background music and pictures, with a few choices that can influence the story, and a heavier focus on the characters and the immersion'.

One-line hardly carry everything I'd like to say about the medium but explaining things quickly is often necessary... The best is probably to show one to explain what you mean by 'books with background music and pictures' and the choices.

If the person intend to play some, I might add that they often have shitty hentai scenes but they're not that much of a bother.

To my friends who don't give a crap, or are ignorantly against anything different: "Those weird Japanese sex games."

To my friends who actually do care, and are remotely open minded: "An illustrated, electronic novel, sometimes voiced, where you are presented dialogue and situations and given a choice on how to react/respond, or in other words, something like The Walking Dead game without any of the action."

^Run on much?

"VN are japanese games developed through storytelling specs,mechanics and relevant antics such as art, music and narration." You could say that VNs are an art of its own, but that's another story. I don't think it's simple enough but if I'd have to took my time explaining, that's how I would do it.

To my friends who don't give a crap, or are ignorantly against anything different: "Those weird Japanese sex games."

Essentially what I'd say except without the sex aspect. There's already enough ignorant people out there without also making them think that I'm a closet pervert or something.

And to my friends that are actually open minded:

"A game where your choices affect the story in various ways; You choose your own fate essentially."