• File access
  • Applications and application usage
  • Phone call and SMS data
  • Devices and device usage
  • device configuration and sensor data
  • Networks
  • Full disk encryption key
  • Voice data

For the sake of the argument, I think Windows 10 is a great upgrade from Windows 8, not so much sure about Windows 7 yet. And no I'm not a gamer so I don't care about gaming related upgrades, i just want a stable and functional OS. I just thought this thing in particular was such a showcase of Microsoft's business practices that it was pretty laughable, and although the title was an exaggeration, I never meant to say Windows 10 as a whole is the worst thing ever. (Tfw sarcasm doesn't go through *insert sad pepe*)

I wouldn't care to pay for a game, including Solitaire, once that is, but a subscription plan to play Solitaire??? That's what made me scratch my head and fear for the future and what Microsoft has in store.

The subscription thing sounds like a similar sort of thing to what they've operated for a while with features on the Xbox, and they've just moved it into PC. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner tbh. And the privacy? Pretty sure most products (from Google, Microsoft, Android) operate fairly similar shit anyway, so while it's a bugger, unless we're mega careful around everything we do we're subject to it regardless.

Windows 7 is fine for my purposes - I wound up regressing back to 7 after my computer fecked up last time on 8.1. While 10 does look like a step up from 8 (Sakura Clicker is a step up from 8 to be honest) it wouldn't surprise me if they're forcing suggesting it on people simply due to complete lost confidence in upgrades.

The whole "spyware" debate is pretty stupid in my opinion.

You're making it sound like Microsoft is the only company doing this or that there's no justification to do this which is ridiculous.

Does anyone even read the Terms of Service? This stuff is all written in there, and you agree to it. It's not spyware if you're willingly giving away your information.

Is it morally correct? Debatable, I don't personally like it either, but it's hardly anything worth getting upset over, especially when a lot of things related to it can be circumvented and a lot of this data sharing can even be disabled in Windows 10.

The reason they do this is to provide a service to you, it's not really difficult to wrap your head around this.

Google collects your information too, in fact most devices nowadays collect info about you, but they don't collect said information and then sell it to some illuminati network that wants to know everything about you.

If you really want to avoid your information getting shared with corporations, I suggest never using a computer again.

Just because everyone does it doesn't mean it's okay. I don't think anyone meant to imply Microsoft is the only one doing this. We all know google is collecting shit tons of data about everything, that some computer manufacturers build in crapware in their PC, that your smartphone is basically a huge tracking device and it allows a bunch of applications to access everything personal you may have in it.

So what? Is that a reason to not be disgusted by it?

The fact that it's in the ToS is even more ironic. Who is ever going to refuse a ToS? Do you really have an alternative if you're not willing to spend the huge amount of effort required to use Linux and open-source softwares, assuming you're not very knowledgeable about informatics? A ToS is not an actual choice in most cases.

As an individual I can't do anything about the fact that trampling any sort of privacy is becoming the norm, and even on a personal level it's becoming increasingly hard to do something about it, but one thing I can still do is rant on the internet about how I'm wholeheartedly disgusted by that situation, no matter how fruitless my complaints are.

You can be disgusted by it, I just find it ridiculous how this debate pops up all the time and gets overblown each time when it's always the same exact thing.

You're using another company's services, it's only logical they would want data from their costumers in order to provide them with something.

How can you have a service where you just give a company money and then they have to figure out what to give to you without any data. Sounds pretty inefficient.

Is it really a breach of privacy if you're willingly sharing the information with a private company that's selling you a product? Sounds decently reasonable to me.

The only reason this sounds worse with Microsoft and Google and whatever other tech company is because this information is shared through a medium that can be breached into and information might get out more easily.

But would Microsoft not collecting any information about you really impact the likelyhood of you having your information stolen? If your computer's hacked, any information you have in it can be found, regardless of whether or not you're sharing it with Microsoft.

Again, I don't personally like it either, but I still hardly find it a reason to fuss over so much, there's likely many more things about each one of us being stored somewhere else we don't know, I hardly think that Microsoft is your worst opponent here.

But I don't want to get custom ads, I don't want my smartphone to be able to tell where I am at all times, and I don't want my messages to be stored on google's or microsoft's servers, whether or not it's absolutely impossible to break into them. I don't want to sell my privacy as the price for useless features and petty comfort like that. I don't have anything against Microsoft in particular, but it's even more problematic in this case because just like google it's a company that's not easy to avoid if you disagree with their practices.

And I don't think the situation is overblown. I'd rather actually like it to be more seriously discussed by people who have the political, economical and/or intellectual power to make things change, instead of having just random me and random you ranting about it on a random internet forum.

That's why I never register any of my devices on anything which is not "User" from company "Company". And always install firewall on device, so no info is able to pass through without my allowance.

Btw, used XP for years. I installed W7 only recently and without any real reason. For sure not because of that "protection" in W7 :) My old firewall still works like a pro.

You can be disgusted by it, I just find it ridiculous how this debate pops up all the time and gets overblown each time when it's always the same exact thing.

You're using another company's services, it's only logical they would want data from their costumers in order to provide them with something.

How can you have a service where you just give a company money and then they have to figure out what to give to you without any data. Sounds pretty inefficient.

Is it really a breach of privacy if you're willingly sharing the information with a private company that's selling you a product? Sounds decently reasonable to me.

The only reason this sounds worse with Microsoft and Google and whatever other tech company is because this information is shared through a medium that can be breached into and information might get out more easily.

But would Microsoft not collecting any information about you really impact the likelyhood of you having your information stolen? If your computer's hacked, any information you have in it can be found, regardless of whether or not you're sharing it with Microsoft.

Again, I don't personally like it either, but I still hardly find it a reason to fuss over so much, there's likely many more things about each one of us being stored somewhere else we don't know, I hardly think that Microsoft is your worst opponent here.

You're telling us to stop whining yet this whole topic was created for you to whine... Lol wut

I would agree with it being discussed over between the people who hold the power to make changes, if I don't have to share my information I'd rather not, but I can not see that happening any time soon.

The thing is, as private corporations, they are entitled to ask things from their costumers, provided that the costumer has the right to decline if they so desire. They are setting their own terms, and they have a right to do it, regardless of what their terms are, and so long as their terms do not breach any human rights or other already existing laws, there's really not much you can do, no matter how much you complain, it's up to the company to decide what they want to do with their own business model. Asking you for personal information for the sake of business is not illegal and never has been and I doubt it will ever be.

If they started suddenly losing costumers over this, maybe then they'd make changes, your wallet speaks louder than anything else in this scenario. But as we speak, I am using a Microsoft product just to type this in, so even if I hated all of this, I already supported their company.

Maybe they'll accept a change.org petition. :makina:

I think the only solution you could likely find is to make all of this data transfering optional. And to be fair, a lot of it already is optional for Windows 10 as mentioned before. I don't know how much of it you can disable, but I know at least preferences, interests, browsing history, searches, voice data, networks and disk encryption key can all be disabled.

You're telling us to stop whining yet this whole topic was created for you to whine... Lol wut

As long as Microsoft isn't selling my personal information to others (or allowing it to be distributed through security breaches), I'm okay with information collection.  What credit companies do is much worse.  They're basically distributing your confidential personal information around, making it easier for criminals to steal your identity.

I just don't see anything wrong with anonymized data collection.  If I'm going to be targeted with ads, I'd rather they be USEFUL ads for products I'd actually want to buy.  Knowledge is power.  I can't buy products I don't know about.  Remember: at some point you had to learn that VNs exist.  Wouldn't you want others to know they exist too?  That's the goal of targeted marketing: linking sellers with interested buyers.

I would agree with it being discussed over between the people who hold the power to make changes, if I don't have to share my information I'd rather not, but I can not see that happening any time soon.

The thing is, as private corporations, they are entitled to ask things from their costumers, provided that the costumer has the right to decline if they so desire. They are setting their own terms, and they have a right to do it, regardless of what their terms are, and so long as their terms do not breach any human rights or other already existing laws, there's really not much you can do, no matter how much you complain, it's up to the company to decide what they want to do with their own business model. Asking you for personal information for the sake of business is not illegal and never has been and I doubt it will ever be.

If they started suddenly losing costumers over this, maybe then they'd make changes, your wallet speaks louder than anything else in this scenario. But as we speak, I am using a Microsoft product just to type this in, so even if I hated all of this, I already supported their company.

Maybe they'll accept a change.org petition. :makina:

I think the only solution you could likely find is to make all of this data transfering optional. And to be fair, a lot of it already is optional for Windows 10 as mentioned before. I don't know how much of it you can disable, but I know at least preferences, interests, browsing history, searches, voice data, networks and disk encryption key can all be disabled.

You must have read something in my posts that I didn't, because I don't recall saying that.

I guess making my own point in my own thread is a bad thing. The more you know.  :sleep:

impossible. most people run windows which runs most programs. what is everyone gonna do? use a mac? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: :lol:  :lol:

An article among others detailing all the crap that's enabled by default on W10.

This basically means that most W10 users, who obviously won't bother looking at the advanced settings, will literally have a keylogger potentially sending absolutely everything they type to the microsoft servers. Uh, I think this is unprecedented in terms of "what the fuck is wrong with this gay earth and everyone on it".

August 1st term of service for windows 10 seems to be out and says the following; 

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to”, for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing the use of the services”.

Is there any stuff Microsoft will not allow us to properly disable...doesn't really matter for me since I have windows 8.1 and things are actually worse on 8.1. I still plan to wait a bit before upgrading...maybe.

I can't believe people care about monetized solitaire. In fact, I'm calling you guys out and saying that none of you actually give a shit. You just want an excuse to be take it to "the man." 

Windows 10 is the best OS released by microsoft but I guess you can continue to use outdated technology because of some dumb solitaire crap.

It's good? I heard it was made for touchscreens. You say it's better than 7 for us old-fashioned mouse people? Is this the general belief of windows 10 users who switched from 7? Does anyone know because I'm actually a little interested

Also that Solitaire thing is just hilarious. I mean, free reasons to be salty. I'll take it huehuehue