Upscaling vns

deepblue

I play all VNs on a small screen of my 8" tablet, so I really do not care. And replacing resources in most VNs with different resx just did not give you any benefits, as if game was coded for 640x480, you would or get a downscaled to 640x480 image, or you will get only part of image showed. So there is no real use for that software in VNs, unless you want to recreate VN on another engine which support high-resolution and have years to do that :)

Only use is that one which was stated in the description of the tool - if you want to get high-res for your desktop or whatever.

And replacing resources in most VNs with different resx just did not give you any benefits, as if game was coded for 640x480, you would or get a downscaled to 640x480 image, or you will get only part of image showed. So there is no real use for that software in VNs, unless you want to recreate VN on another engine which support high-resolution and have years to do that :)

Believe me, your positive experience with one game does not mean it will be same with other game :)

Anyway, that webservice does not have a multiple upload, and as in typical VN you have about 1000 images and 200 CG, well... And you also have to repack all contents back... If think about some older titles like Mikan, well... Impossibru, I would say :) Too much hassle.

It's not very relevant to VNs. Simply replacing a, say, 800 x 600 image with a higher resolution 4:3 image will still only display 800 x 600 of that image in-engine, cutting it off starting from the bottom. Altering the scripts would be required for the images to display properly. A lot of work. It's a nice tool for other purposes, though.

Additionally, if you had the willpower, you could likely port any VN to Ren'Py, using this tool to upscale the 2D assets. I don't think there's a single person on earth who would ever want to do that, though.

Anyway, that webservice does not have a multiple upload, and as in typical VN you have about 1000 images and 200 CG, well... And you also have to repack all contents back... If think about some older titles like Mikan, well... Impossibru, I would say :) Too much hassle.

There is literally no possibility to upscale graphics without considerable loss of quality. don't get fooled by nice looking median filters, if you look in closely you can see art completely lost the sharpness of original and turned into pseudo-painted cg's. It's the same kind of crap when people try to upscale pixel art with anything else than nearest neighbor interpolation, because they don't like the way pixels look. There's no logic behind it.

I don't mind playing works that aren't 1080p compatible in a window; I don't mind seing pixels either; it's the natural way raster graphics look when upscaled.

After some tests, seems like it works the best with 800x600 or larger image. Using the smaller one, and there is a high chance that it will get blurry.

Welp, still pretty useful though.

That's a pity, I have some really ancient titles sitting around that play at 640x480 - something like this wouldve been awesome. =/ instead I have to choose between windowed + magnifed glass, or fullscreen and blurry~