Greeting from the Dark Pharaoh

Hello. My name is Manuel Godoy and I am the lead developer of Black Sands. 

I am ex-military, married with kids, and a total geek.

I did an interview for Black Sands which really speaks to my character and how I think. Enjoy

WHAT MOTIVATED YOU TO CREATE BLACK SANDS?

I have long been the center of every conversation regarding history and mythology. Since I was a young boy my obsession with mythology has always been overbearing. I watch for years Hollywood butcher myth after myth trying to put a modern spin on things without making much sense at all. This is why I started writing Black Sands.

I developed my story the last three years. First I wrote of Horus but decided I should start chronologically with Rah, the Dark Pharaoh. There were many holes and similarities shared in ancient mythologies that I thought needed to be addressed and Black Sands is how I decided to do it.

WHY CHOOSE TO MAKE IT A VISUAL NOVEL?

I am a big believer in character development. Budget constraints and unpopular ideas make visual novels a more appealing median. It’s hard to pitch “Black and Middle Eastern ethnic gods create empires which to this day, shape our world.”

Hollywood always wants to recreate your story to their likings and I would not allow it. With the Visual Novel genre I have freedom to fully develop the characters and make villains heroes in the right situation. Take for instance the main character of this saga Rah. He is an alien hybrid who resembles a light skinned man with an obsession for Onyx that fights with absolute brutality and suffers from dementia. Good luck fleshing that out in another median.

WHAT MAKES BLACK SANDS UNIQUE COMPARED TO OTHER VNs?

To not sound too cliché, it is basically like game of thrones. The Origins chapter allows players to connect with the major characters in the world before they attempt to conquer it but once they leave the rift, there are many event going on around the world that are told in the story at the same time. Much like in a game of thrones episode, we jump from place to place to watch characters do their own thing.

Additionally, we use q specific set of rules that govern our world so we can make as much sense as possible while incorporating the many and various mythologies of the third millennium BCE.

·         A God (Alien) must not kill humans directly.

·         A God must never lay with a human.

·         A Fallen God must never interfere with the living world.

How we enforce these laws is fun. First, if an ancient god (pure blood aliens) kills a human directly, they lose some of their power. Ancients are immortal but are also elementals so they rely heavily on their reserve power. Hybrids are not as fortunate. They were created with the intention of defeating the Ancients while building empires for humanity. So if they directly kill humans, their lives are literally shortened. Since hybrids are more human than alien, they are mortal.

The second rule is not necessarily enforced, but it is a cautionary rule. The Titans broke this law and created Nephilim. The Nephilim we know of re the giants in Canaan. They raped and enslaved all the women in Canaan while killing every man they could find. This all happened because of foolish desires.

The third rule applies to hybrid gods. They are mortal but when they die, they do not go to dust. Instead, their soul stays as a guardian spirit. These guardians are forbidden to interfere with the mortal world but can still interact with other hybrids as advisors or protectors.

There are also 6 major species in the world.

·         Ancients – Aliens that share the same extreme power and longevity that Nun the watcher has.

·         Humans – Tribal societies scattered across the earth with organizational skills uncommon in alien culture.

·         Nephilim – Human/Ancient hybrids with incredible power and human like reproduction qualities.

·         Alien Beasts – Creatures that roam the alien home planet but are recreated here by the ancients.

·         Beasts –Earth formed animals that are commonly found here but can have useful talents.

·         Hybrids – Mortal gods that create empires and lead the forces of man against the tyranny of the Ancients.

• 3 weeks later...